More Bus Moves

sw4400

There doing construction work on Kimball between Foster and Lawrence and the #82's are detouring via Lawrence to Kedzie to Foster both ways. With the area around Lawrence and Kimball being so conjested (the other two intersections are not much better) with tons of pedestrians it would pose an extra challenge to drive an artic through there.

I could be wrong, but isn't the front half on an artic 35'? In that regard, I would think that it would be an easier turn, with the other half just traiing. Maybe the length of the bus would create more tieups trafficwise, but the turning radius would seem to be better with the artic than the 40' bus.

i just saw #1576 (74th Bus) on the #108 Halsted/95th (a 103rd route) and #6494 is on the #106

1576 isn't an odd sight since as stated 74th does the PM runs on 108. 6494 on 106 may be an odd sighting though. Though it could have to do with the multiroute interline that CTA now has going on between the routes serving the 95th Red Line terminal. 29 State is now operated by 77th and 103rd so 6494 being on 106 could be due to that. Passing through there a few times since Feb, I have observed buses pull in from 106, 111 and a few other routes serving 95th station and pulling out as 29's. One example I'll give you is the last time I rode through there, I rode a bus on 112 Vincennes/111th from an appointment at Chicago Vocational to 95th terminal and then boarded that same exact bus a few minutes after arriving at 95th when it switched to a 29 State.

I could be wrong, but isn't the front half on an artic 35'? In that regard, I would think that it would be an easier turn, with the other half just traiing. Maybe the length of the bus would create more tieups trafficwise, but the turning radius would seem to be better with the artic than the 40' bus.

You know, the #82 was run with 40-footers last weekend. This Saturday morning, the #82 is run with artics once again even though the detour via Kedzie is still in effect.

I also noticed it. Will be near Lincoln Town Center in the near future, Going to inquire about this to a operator. Part of the answer could be that they needed them to supplement service at the Bears opener as I noticed a ton of them before and after that crappy game.

Possible considering Kedzie only has 50-some odd artics at present. But then again, the Bears played only on Sunday if I'm not mistaken, and the 82 ran with no artics both days of last weekend. It could also be that it was thought there would be a hard time getting those artics through that detour between Lawrence and Foster (which lasts through close to the end of next month by the way), being that it was the first weekend of the detour. The higher ups at Kedzie probably rethought it this weekend considering the operators have been managing to maneuver artics through the narrow driveways of the Lincolnwood Town Center parking lot these past 7 months on weekends.

Speaking of artics, here is an unusual sighting:

#4201 is on the #97 Skokie this evening.

Now thats unusual!. I wonder how it can negotiate the more than 90 degree SB Dempster/Niles Ctr. Rd. turn. Thats a difficult turn even with a 40 footer!

103rd must be hitting every route out of that garage with at least one 60 footer cause I'm even seeing NF #4084 on #30 South Chicago.

I remember back when 7500s were active, doing #169 UPS, it turns into #30 South Chicago route at 69th/Red Line Station weekday evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

Now thats unusual!. I wonder how it can negotiate the more than 90 degree SB Dempster/Niles Ctr. Rd. turn. Thats a difficult turn even with a 40 footer!

Also unusual:

Today at 1:45 p.m., #4022 is on the #7 Harrison. That route has two more-than-90-degree turns on that route eastbound and one over-90-degree turn westbound.

Also unusual:

Today at 1:45 p.m., #4022 is on the #7 Harrison. That route has two more-than-90-degree turns on that route eastbound and one over-90-degree turn westbound.

Yes jackson's right. It's rare but artics have been on this route before. I wonder at the Kedzie operators who have negotiated artics through the narrowness of Congress Parkway westbound but it still happens. Also it's not too far a stretch to see at least one on this route now that it's interlined with both 12 (at Central/Harrison) and 126 (at Michigan/Congress) on some off peak trips.

Also unusual:

Yup! Congress/Kostner. Although being a more than 90 deg. turn, its not difficult for the articulated bus because its turning onto a freeway overpass where theres plenty of room for the bus to complete its turn. Now 16th/Western ave. WB is an entirely different story with the placement of the railroad bridge piers. :) I cant imagine a 60ft long articulated bus negotiating that turn, it was difficult enough using a 40ft. bus. I have to see this one day!.