More Bus Moves

sw4400

Since I am not a CTA employee, all I can offer is speculation. Perhaps by Kedzie and NP gaining buses, it will eliminate some of the south side garages having to do north side runs, for example 77th runs on 62 and 143, or 103rd buses on 151, Even with the population "density" of the north side, I can't help but feel the south side is again getting the shaft. For the last couple of years 77th in particular has been losing runs and losing buses even though it is the 2nd largest garage in the system and has routes that rank among the heaviest used in the system (3,4, 79, 87 to name a few). It is almost as though they are now trying to make it an all Nova garage since the majority of the buses it keeps losing are NFs. I remember when its NF started around 1226 and went up to about 1317. Now it is losing more NFs and even with a net loss of buses total, it has gained Novas from NP (net gain of 5 Novas AFTER shifting 3 Novas to 74th). As a matter of fact ALL of the south side garages LOST buses. I guess we will have to see how the runs shake out and see if any routes shift garages.

I think there just tweaking the Feb cuts to better serve the overall service plan. But I see how you would believe some garages are getting the shaft. The same garages are getting the better equipment and the others are losing them. I can't help but wonder the same thing. 77th is quickly coming up to Fg's total for NF's at 63 for 77th 54 for FG. I don't know what FG's going to do with all those Optimas. They don't seem to use the ones they have now. CTA could be anticipating the U of C's summer classes not being in session hence there's no need for that many buses there. We'll see what happens in the fall. Surprising 103rd is down to around 210 buses and NP is now over 300. That could also be that they feel there will be more Lakefront/Beach/Zoo traffic and more downtown Traffic for NP and Kedzie and Chicago now that it's summer.

I think there just tweaking the Feb cuts to better serve the overall service plan. But I see how you would believe some garages are getting the shaft. The same garages are getting the better equipment and the others are losing them. I can't help but wonder the same thing. 77th is quickly coming up to Fg's total for NF's at 63 for 77th 54 for FG. I don't know what FG's going to do with all those Optimas. They don't seem to use the ones they have now. CTA could be anticipating the U of C's summer classes not being in session hence there's no need for that many buses there. We'll see what happens in the fall. Surprising 103rd is down to around 210 buses and NP is now over 300. That could also be that they feel there will be more Lakefront/Beach/Zoo traffic and more downtown Traffic for NP and Kedzie and Chicago now that it's summer.

Optimas 531 and 538 have been parked in the same spots all of this month. I don't know if they've moved at all, but they're blocking a good view of the rts, 4901.

... That could also be that they feel there will be more Lakefront/Beach/Zoo traffic and more downtown Traffic for NP and Kedzie and Chicago now that it's summer.

I at first had the same reaction as art, but then rethought it based on the same conclusion as yours that the allocation should be based on need.

Another thing to throw into the mix is that with school out, the CTA Tattler noted that the rush hour peaks are not as high. One could also add that the school runs aren't being made with school out.

Again, like art, not being on the inside, I can't say definitely. It does seem like assignments are more cumbersome now that there are fewer garages and their distribution isn't like they should be, and that CTA is undoing what it tried to do a couple of years ago to equalize garages by, essentially, sending buses south to the underutilized garages there.

Optimas 531 and 538 have been parked in the same spots all of this month. I don't know if they've moved at all, but they're blocking a good view of the rts, 4901.

With the interlining of routes, it makes it harder to assign an Optima. For example, many #90's become #90N's which become #64's that go back to #90. Essentially you would be assigning an Optima to the #90 plus with the increased headways alot of routes could use a 40 footer or better. Now they could be all right with the #88/#85A interline or the #81w/#69 interline but I still haven't seen that many lately.

Looks like 103rd got some NF's from 74th, #1130 is on the #106, #1143 is on the #34 and #1148 is on the #95E

That's making the picture look a little more complete. When I was thinking of this early I couldn't help coming to the thought that somehow some of the this swapping picture was not looking complete with so many buses shifting from the south side with almost nothing going down in return.

Today while traveling down Pulaski at Lake I spotted NF #1306 with a "77th Garage" displayed, looks like it was heading to Chicago Ave.

That was actually supposed to be a recent transfer from 77th to NP. However, #1299 was spotted on a 77th route earlier this evening.

Since I am not a CTA employee, all I can offer is speculation. Perhaps by Kedzie and NP gaining buses, it will eliminate some of the south side garages having to do north side runs, for example 77th runs on 62 and 143, or 103rd buses on 151, Even with the population "density" of the north side, I can't help but feel the south side is again getting the shaft. For the last couple of years 77th in particular has been losing runs and losing buses even though it is the 2nd largest garage in the system and has routes that rank among the heaviest used in the system (3,4, 79, 87 to name a few). It is almost as though they are now trying to make it an all Nova garage since the majority of the buses it keeps losing are NFs. I remember when its NF started around 1226 and went up to about 1317. Now it is losing more NFs and even with a net loss of buses total, it has gained Novas from NP (net gain of 5 Novas AFTER shifting 3 Novas to 74th). As a matter of fact ALL of the south side garages LOST buses. I guess we will have to see how the runs shake out and see if any routes shift garages.

Art if this current moment in this late part of the rush hour is any indication, your speculation appears to be panning out. According to Bustracker, 134 and 143 appear to have returned to their pre-Feb. 7th makeup. Kedzie pretty much is operating both at this moment with no other garages appearing to have runs right now, 134 once again operating with all artics and 143 operating mostly with 1000s. 135 appears now to be operated by NP alone with no Kedzie runs and using mostly artics there. Up to now Kedzie would have had a lot of the runs on 135 in late PM rush hour. Took a look at 125 and it has overwhelmingly Chicago runs (split evenly between Novas and 1000s) and at least one Kedzie run (an artic), but there are no current 77th or 103rd runs operating on the route. I don't even spot a NP bus on there for that matter. 74th still has its weekday presence on 62 though, buses 1103 and 1748 filling at least two runs right now.

#4109 is back at 103, i saw it on bustracker as a #14

#4110 was on the #6 yesterday. Looks like 103rd is trying to recover it's shortage of buses. I haven't seen any #6000's in service yet. They probably don't want to use them unless they have to or in this weather there worried about getting a hot bus. It's probably a challenge for the mechanics getting something back running (and keep it running) after 5 months in a garage.

So are any Flxibles comming to 74th ?

No not likely. The Flx's reported pulled back in service haven't been reported seen in revenue passenger service as of yet at 103rd, the garage where they were to be brought back. It's possible the service in question was actually as cooling buses for July 4th fireworks as cirmised by another member.

has there been any bus moves lately?

Only a few tweaks. NP does not have as many Novas as it had a couple of months ago. NP has only #6692-6707 (#6708 was at NP for a few weeks before being sent back to FG).

In addition, as noted previously, a couple of lower 4100s that were sent to NP a few weeks ago are now back at 103rd. Same thing with the upper 1200s that were also initially sent to NP - they're back at 77th.

As I was on the inbound Green Line train, I spotted a 6000 Series Flxible Metro bus northbound on Pulaski.

A work bus perhaps considering the six that were supposed to be pulled back in service were reported by Kevin for use by 103rd garage.

On the question of further recent bus moves, 1375 was on the 147 last night. If I'm not mistaken wasn't this bus transferred from NP to Kedzie a few months ago in the Feb. 7th bus reassignments stemming from the cuts?

A work bus perhaps considering the six that were supposed to be pulled back in service were reported by Kevin for use by 103rd garage.

On the question of further recent bus moves, 1375 was on the 147 last night. If I'm not mistaken wasn't this bus transferred from NP to Kedzie a few months ago in the Feb. 7th bus reassignments stemming from the cuts?

1366-1374 moved from North Park to Kedzie, 1375 stayed at North Park

1366-1374 moved from North Park to Kedzie, 1375 stayed at North Park

Thanks busfan. For some reason I was thinking the cutoff of 1300s at Kedzie was 1375 and started at 1376 for NP (not counting lower 1300s moved from 77th up to NP).

Where's the cutoff? My roster has the DE60LF's at NP like this...

4108, 4111-4207

Did just 4108 go back to 103rd, or some of the 411x's as well?

#4108 never went to NP, it's currently on the #6. #1299 never went north either, but #1300 and #1301 are at 77th now.