More Bus Moves

sw4400

(Note 6471-81 & 6688-6707 have Traffic Priority devices for use on Western until end of tests in May 2010)

There's a black box on the dash of I believe #6591 that kind of has me puzzled what it's for. It's on the right side of the dash, kind of up and to the left of where the kneeling switch is located. I first thought maybe it was a priority device (as I'm not familiar with what device is on those Nova's) but the same box doesn't seem to appear on those buses you listed above. So I don't know what it's for. Speaking of those FG transfers from last month, One of the Nova's they got (#6572) has a luggage rack on it similar to the NABI artic one that was mentioned on this site a few years ago. (Forgot which one but it is on here) I wasn't aware they had some Nova's with this (or I forgot) Just thought I'd pass it on.

NFs 1080 and 1054 both on 151 Sheridan northbound. Both belong to Chicago Garage.

On the 151, Chicago operate 5 journeys southbound in am rush and 3 journeys northbound in the pm rush. The northbound journeys are 3:16, 3:40 and 4:16 from Union Stn to Belmont according to Andre. I have seen the 4:16pm on Canal St and it was a Chicago Garage journey.

This morning I saw Nova #6856 traveling southbound on #143 Stocton/Michigan Express.

I caught 6422 on #143 earlier this evening as I was walking to the Art Institute; it had a 77th run but I do not remember it exactly. Looks as if 77th is serving some supplementary service to the morning and evening rush periods for this route.

The sightings for 151 and 143 are not unusual. Those garages give supplement runs on those routes, though Kedzie and NP are the primary garages for both. I've seen them either from glances at Bustracker before making a trip somewhere, or physically while out downtown during a rush period. Kevin did make a note in the garage assignments section that the lists he provides may exclude rush hour supplements for any routes. As he suggests send him your sightings as well so that he can make any updates. As for run numbers, those are appearing to be more meaningless than before the shakeup. An example, it's possible to see a K8xx run number on the 8, the 62 and a few other spots. A Kedzie 9xx number pops up on 145, 148, 151, and at least once I saw it on a morning 143 run. 5xx from Kedzie has popped up on 52, 82 and pretty much all over the map for Kedzie routes.

The sightings for 151 and 143 are not unusual. Those garages give supplement runs on those routes, though Kedzie and NP are the primary garages for both. I've seen them either from glances at Bustracker before making a trip somewhere, or physically while out downtown during a rush period. Kevin did make a note in the garage assignments section that the lists he provides may exclude rush hour supplements for any routes. As he suggests send him your sightings as well so that he can make any updates. As for run numbers, those are appearing to be more meaningless than before the shakeup. An example, it's possible to see a K8xx run number on the 8, the 62 and a few other spots. A Kedzie 9xx number pops up on 145, 148, 151, and at least once I saw it on a morning 143 run. 5xx from Kedzie has popped up on 52, 82 and pretty much all over the map for Kedzie routes.

Why didn't they note that #143 is also shared by 77th Garage then and also Chicago Garage for #151?

Why didn't they note that #143 is also shared by 77th Garage then and also Chicago Garage for #151?

For the very reason that I gave in the post. The answer is right there in front of you. Kevin didn't have the info on those so the info wasn't included, which is why he asks in the garage section under each garage assignment list to send him that info so he can correct it. Apparently the info he had at the time was on garages doing most of the work on the routes and just a few of the rush supplement garage runs but not all of the supplements, of which those two fall in the category.

Around 12:15am (3/4/10) I spotted Nova 6663 on #95W westbound. Last time I checked, that bus belonged to 74th Garage.

It is a 74th bus, but are you absolutely sure it was a 95W? About that time, the N9 is running, which is the owl route for the 9 Ashland that operates from 95th Red Line terminal to Ashland, then Ashland to North, and North Ave to Clark. I believe you saw an N9 bus. which still operates out of 74th.

It is a 74th bus, but are you absolutely sure it was a 95W? About that time, the N9 is running, which is the owl route for the 9 Ashland that operates from 95th Red Line terminal to Ashland, then Ashland to North, and North Ave to Clark. I believe you saw an N9 bus. which still operates out of 74th.

I would be surprise that it was an N9-Ashland which it probably was for #6663 (not 95W), But I been checked Bus Tracker nightly and I barely seen any 74th Novas out on Owl routes except 49-Western which is always 100% of Novas during Owl service. 77th never had any 6600s.

Around 12:15am (3/4/10) I spotted Nova 6663 on #95W westbound. Last time I checked, that bus belonged to 74th Garage.

That might have been the last westbound 95W trip of the day - but more likely it would have been the first northbound N9 trip of that owl period. (I checked the timetables of both routes.) N9 operates on 95th between the Red Line and Ashland during owl periods when the 95W is not operating.

This afternoon on CTA Bustracker I spotted Nova 6446 (77th's Nova) NB on #62.

Unusual, but not unexpected. 77th does operate one PM rush run on that route. That's relatively small, compared to the three or four runs operated by 74th and the rest by K.

there has also been an artic running on the 111 pullman on all weekdays around like 6pm

Also unusual, but not unexpected. The 111 is a primarily 103rd route, and 103rd has some artics. However, 103rd seldom uses artics on anything besides the rush-hour-only express routes. K and NP, on the other hand, uses artics quite frequently even on some of the locals.

Also unusual, but not unexpected. The 111 is a primarily 103rd route, and 103rd has some artics. However, 103rd seldom uses artics on anything besides the rush-hour-only express routes. K and NP, on the other hand, uses artics quite frequently even on some of the locals.

Actually, when those rush-hour express routes are not operating, 103rd's artics are used on Saturdays on the Jackson Park (#6) and Jeffery (#14, #15) routes. 103rd seldom runs its artics on Sundays.

And on weekends, Kedzie's artics are primarily found on Routes 12 and 82 as well as the mid-morning through late-afternoon short runs on the 151 between Union Station and Belmont/Halsted; in fact, since the February system pick, 12 has been operated entirely with artics on Saturdays and Sundays (as well as most of the Saturday and Sunday trips on the 82). NP's artics on weekends are found not only on the daily expresses (three in all - 145, 146 and 147) along North Lake Shore Drive, but also on routes 22 and 151.

Actually, when those rush-hour express routes are not operating, 103rd's artics are used on Saturdays on the Jackson Park (#6) and Jeffery (#14, #15) routes. 103rd seldom runs its artics on Sundays.

I was wrong about this. Today (Sunday March 14th), about half the buses on the #6 and the majority of buses on the #14 are artics. On Saturdays, these two routes plus the #15 are mostly operated with artics.

In other words, K and NP both use their artics very frequently even on weekends while 103rd uses only about half its artic fleet during off-peak periods.

From what I see of 103rd's artic use, even though they're now used more than was done on the rush expresses before Feb 7th, they're mainly dominant on 6 and 14. The rush expresses especially X28 still use 1000s to a large degree compared to 6 and 14. From what I see 1000 use on 6 or 14 during a weekday are runs interlined with something else a lot of times. An example a few days into the new pick, I saw a 1000 NB on 15 at 53rd and an hour and a half later it was a SB 14 leaving downtown.

I was motoring to grocery stores last Friday. On Fullerton Ave. west of Narragansett, I espied a Forest Glen bus #1237, on run F755 {which I think begins or ends on route #77 Belmont} running eastbound on route #74 Fullerton.

I thought it was mildly fascinating that this run operator had a New Flyer bus which is common on Chicago garage routes, but much less frequent on Forest Glen routes.

Today at 4:06pm, I saw Chicago's Nova #6532 pass Michigan/Washington northbound on #143.

Further evidence of the garages doing rush hour supplements that may not be reflected in the garage assignment part of the site as noted by Kevin in the garage assignments section so at this point not really anything new or unusual. Kedzie does at least one PM rush supplement on the 1 that's not reflected and there are the reports of Chicago rush runs on the 151, my sighting of a 103rd N4 run in Feb., and rush hour 74th runs on the 29. It's all part of the Feb. 7th mixing of the pot.

Today at 4:06pm, I saw Chicago's Nova #6532 pass Michigan/Washington northbound on #143.

Routes 120, 121, 122, 123, 125, 134 and 143 are no longer allocated to a main garage and can be thought of as pool routes. These routes are operated by K, C, P, 103rd and 77th (except 122 K, C, P only and 134 NOT C). Some garages operate am only and some pm only, so it is possible to see most of the fleet at one time or another on these routes!