More Bus Moves

sw4400

Routes 120, 121, 122, 123, 125, 134 and 143 are no longer allocated to a main garage and can be thought of as pool routes. These routes are operated by K, C, P, 103rd and 77th (except 122 K, C, P only and 134 NOT C). Some garages operate am only and some pm only, so it is possible to see most of the fleet at one time or another on these routes!

The worst possible way of managing accountability for these routes, but interesting seeing different numbers on the opposite side of town.

The worst possible way of managing accountability for these routes...

Not really. The run numbers and badge numbers show up on the supervisor version of BusTracker. Unless a complaining rider notes the run, badge, or fleet number of a driver about whom he or she is complaining, the only thing that is more difficult is that instead of saying it was one of 8 drivers from Kedzie, it is now one of 8 drivers from wherever.

Obviously, the economies of interlining routes overcome the other supposed problems.

Further evidence of the garages doing rush hour supplements that may not be reflected in the garage assignment part of the site as noted by Kevin in the garage assignments section so at this point not really anything new or unusual. Kedzie does at least one PM rush supplement on the 1 that's not reflected and there are the reports of Chicago rush runs on the 151, my sighting of a 103rd N4 run in Feb., and rush hour 74th runs on the 29. It's all part of the Feb. 7th mixing of the pot.

As for 74th runs the 29 during Rush Hour explained to me of seeing an Nova on 29 a week after the Feb. Changes.

Not really. The run numbers and badge numbers show up on the supervisor version of BusTracker. Unless a complaining rider notes the run, badge, or fleet number of a driver about whom he or she is complaining, the only thing that is more difficult is that instead of saying it was one of 8 drivers from Kedzie, it is now one of 8 drivers from wherever.

Obviously, the economies of interlining routes overcome the other supposed problems.

Isn't the route 8 Halsted assigned to 77th Garage too ?

Isn't the route 8 Halsted assigned to 77th Garage too ?

No. It's a Kedzie and 74th route. 74th does its runs on the route primarily in weekday rush hours along with Kedzie and Kedzie does all the rest. That would be 8A S Halsted assigned to 77th.

As for 74th runs the 29 during Rush Hour explained to me of seeing an Nova on 29 a week after the Feb. Changes.

That Nova also could have been from 77th since the 29 is primarily assigned to 77th and 103rd now with a lot of the work being done still by 103rd.

• 2 weeks later...

The sightings for 151 and 143 are not unusual. Those garages give supplement runs on those routes, though Kedzie and NP are the primary garages for both. I've seen them either from glances at Bustracker before making a trip somewhere, or physically while out downtown during a rush period. Kevin did make a note in the garage assignments section that the lists he provides may exclude rush hour supplements for any routes. As he suggests send him your sightings as well so that he can make any updates. As for run numbers, those are appearing to be more meaningless than before the shakeup. An example, it's possible to see a K8xx run number on the 8, the 62 and a few other spots. A Kedzie 9xx number pops up on 145, 148, 151, and at least once I saw it on a morning 143 run. 5xx from Kedzie has popped up on 52, 82 and pretty much all over the map for Kedzie routes.

Speaking of run numbers, the 74th buses on the #49 Western seem to have run numbers in the 9xx series (69xx) while the NP buses on #49 seem to have 1xx run numbers (P1xx). In fact, this past Sunday I rode on a NP Nova (6690s) northbound but an NP New Flyer southbound (1775) - both on Western. Both had P1xx series run numbers.

Speaking of run numbers, the 74th buses on the #49 Western seem to have run numbers in the 9xx series (69xx) while the NP buses on #49 seem to have 1xx run numbers (P1xx). In fact, this past Sunday I rode on a NP Nova (6690s) northbound but an NP New Flyer southbound (1775) - both on Western. Both had P1xx series run numbers.

NP's Novas run from about 6686 to about 6708. Any Nova under that probably is a 74th Nova (at least on Western).

on bus tracker, #1881 is on the #71

If I'm not mistaken 103rd has odd 1800s in the upper range and 103rd is supposed to be be operating some of the runs on the 71 as of the Feb. service cut shuffle, so this may not necessarily be an odd occurrence if I'm remembered right about the odd numbered higher 1800s.

If I'm not mistaken 103rd has odd 1800s in the upper range and 103rd is supposed to be be operating some of the runs on the 71 as of the Feb. service cut shuffle, so this may not necessarily be an odd occurrence if I'm remembered right about the odd numbered higher 1800s.

i thought #1881 was usually at chicago ave and 103rd has 1800-1849

i thought #1881 was usually at chicago ave and 103rd has 1800-1849

Actually, 1855-1925 (odds) are assigned to North Park. In the past, I believe 77th Street has been known to occasionally borrow buses from the South Shops to fill runs. That may explain why 1881 was spotted on the #71.

I saw 1258 today on the 90 Harlem. Seems like 77th is constantly losing NFs somehow.

Again nothing unusual. The Feb 7th moves saw 1248-1252 move from 77th to Kedzie, 1253-1256 from 77th to 103rd and 1257-1261 from 77th to Forest Glen. 77th did gain some Novas from Archer (6466-6470, 6594/5).

On BusTracker, it is a bit odd to see a NP Nova anywhere besides Western Avenue:

At this hour I spotted 6692 on the #22 Clark.

Also, at this hour the #29 State is still shared between 103rd and 77th.

Its mentally seems odd, but they are frequently on the 136 these days. Ive see a few a day on the 151 as well.

Its mentally seems odd, but they are frequently on the 136 these days. Ive see a few a day on the 151 as well.

In the case of the #151, the Novas could have come from NP (6688-6708), FG (6567-6593, 6709-6725, 6727-6737, 6739-6831, 6833-6844) or C (6521-6566). This is because there is some interlining at one end or the other of that route.

In a similar manner, 1600's NF buses (which belong to K) are fairly common on the #151, particularly on those downtown-to-Belmont short runs midday on weekdays and mid-morning through late afternoon on weekends. In fact, a couple of those interline with the #77 Belmont, which is a primarily FG route.

On BusTracker, it is a bit odd to see a NP Nova anywhere besides Western Avenue:

At this hour I spotted 6692 on the #22 Clark.

Also, at this hour the #29 State is still shared between 103rd and 77th.

This past wednesday night by almost 12AM I did spotted an Unknown Nova (with LED destinated sign) on the #29 State at southbound S. State at Marquette Rd(67th), that bus appears from 77th.

This past wednesday night by almost 12AM I did spotted an Unknown Nova (with LED destinated sign) on the #29 State at southbound S. State at Marquette Rd(67th), that bus appears from 77th.

If it's an amber LED Nova that you saw on the #29, it is one of these (6445 and 6845-6883). 6441 had an experimental Aesys sign but might have since reverted to a regular flip-dot sign. Any amber-signed Novas that you saw on the #29 should be from 77th.