More Bus Moves

sw4400

The other Nova garages include Chicago (upper 6500s-middle 6600s), North Park (upper 6600s-middle 6700s) and Forest Glen (upper 6700s-lower 6800s); the expected number groups would be as listed once the assignments settle down. (77th and FG will have some additional 1000-series New Flyers to compensate for the loss of some of their Novas.)

Having 2.5 hours before the Super Bowl I took a quick trip down to FG to see what was against the fence. Besides 6700s, it appeared that most of the 6570s, 6580s were against the fence, still with A tags.

NFs seemed basically in the range of 1188-1250, more or less. So, if the idea was to send Novas to NP so that NP could send 1000s to FG, that hasn't happened yet.

There were still 9 Flxs in the north lot on the west side.

So, I guess things haven't shaken out yet.

Reinforcing what I said above, it appears that the 6580s are starting to show up on Central.

post-14-12656465852031_thumb.jpg

However, despite rjl's list, it appears that most of the ones newly assigned to 74th are in the 6590-6680 range, although two 6400s did show up on Ashland. Hence, surmising that a Nova on Western came from NP may be wrong.

post-14-12656466812138_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Reinforcing what I said above, it appears that the 6580s are starting to show up on Central.

post-14-12656465852031_thumb.jpg

However, despite rjl's list, it appears that most of the ones newly assigned to 74th are in the 6590-6680 range, although two 6400s did show up on Ashland. Hence, surmising that a Nova on Western came from NP may be wrong.

post-14-12656466812138_thumb.jpg

You may be partially correct. The Novas at 74th are clearly in the 6470s, lower 6480s and between 6594 and 6699. Chicago got different Novas than what originally started out there - roughly between the 6520s and about 6569. Buses 6570-6593, as well as the former Archer Novas numbered above 6700, are at Forest Glen for the time being (I have yet to see any Novas on any routes operated exclusively out of North Park - and the few Novas on routes outside of downtown that are partially operated out of NP are from either 74th or FG). The next swap of Novas and 1000s may come shortly later, with the 6470s and 6480s being sent back to 77th (to keep the numbering system contingent), which may then send its 6800s (roughly 6845-6883) to NP, which in turn may send some of its 1400s to 74th and some of its 1900s to 77th. This is clearly confirmation that NP will eventually receive some Novas, but would not initially have any at the conclusion of the most recent equipment moves.

Speaking of Novas, expect a few to pop up on the #62 during rush periods - ironic, since all of the Novas that are currently at 74th once ran on Archer when they were based at the now-inactive Archer Garage. 74th is assigned some of the weekday rush-period runs on that route, which is otherwise operated with equipment based at Kedzie.

Also of note: This midday, three of the buses currently working the #21 are 800-series GM/Allison parallel hybrids (801, 808 and 809, to be exact). One of the other 800s, 803, is on the #60 (as well as another 40-foot hybrid, 806, running on the #12). This means that at least half of one of the two experimental hybrid bus series is on the road this midday. Whereas #12 operated with all artics yesterday, I found two artics working that route today (as well as - surprisingly - one artic on the #126). Also, though the #82 was operated entirely with Kedzie artics yesterday, no artics were operating that route today - and the majority of the weekday midday runs on that route are operated with North Park-assigned equipment. This confirms that the #82 is shared at least between Kedzie and North Park.

And my search has confirmed that Chicago Garage is now operating all off-peak runs on the #54B (South Cicero). 74th will operate some rush-hour runs on that route.

With the closure of the Archer Garage, 77th is now the oldest operating garage facility although it has been modified and expanded greatly over the years. The Kedzie site is just about as old as either 77th or Archer, but the CTA garage that currently occupies the site dates only back to 1984 (the original carhouse/bus garage on the site was torn down shortly after its 1979 closure to make way for the current garage).

You may be partially correct. The Novas at 74th are clearly in the 6470s, lower 6480s and between 6594 and 6699. Chicago got different Novas than what originally started out there - roughly between the 6520s and about 6569. Buses 6570-6593, as well as the former Archer Novas numbered above 6700, are at Forest Glen for the time being (I have yet to see any Novas on any routes operated exclusively out of North Park - and the few Novas on routes outside of downtown that are partially operated out of NP are from either 74th or FG). The next swap of Novas and 1000s may come shortly later, with the 6470s and 6480s being sent back to 77th (to keep the numbering system contingent), which may then send its 6800s (roughly 6845-6883) to NP, which in turn may send some of its 1400s to 74th and some of its 1900s to 77th. This is clearly confirmation that NP will eventually receive some Novas, but would not initially have any at the conclusion of the most recent equipment moves.

Also of note: This midday, three of the buses currently working the #21 are 800-series GM/Allison parallel hybrids (801, 808 and 809, to be exact). One of the other 800s, 803, is on the #60 (as well as another 40-foot hybrid, 806, running on the #12). This means that at least half of one of the two experimental hybrid bus series is on the road this midday. Whereas #12 operated with all artics yesterday, I found two artics working that route today (as well as - surprisingly - one artic on the #126).

And my search has confirmed that Chicago Garage is now operating all off-peak runs on the #54B (South Cicero). 74th will operate some rush-hour runs on that route.

6688 and 6689 operated on Devon yesterday (Sunday). Otherwise your observations seem to make perfect sense. I'm assuming that the 6680s & '90s assigned to Western today are based at NP. They're not appearing on any other NP routes --- at least as of this morning. Conversely, none of NP's 1000s have yet been used on Western (#49). Now that the Archer equipment has been redistributed, I guess there's plenty of time to finish the swaps.

Incidentally, a handful of 6000s were out and about this morning from 103rd, in defiance of the calendar: 6221, 6231, and one or two others. Also 6042; yep, had to do a double-take.

6688 and 6689 operated on Devon yesterday (Sunday). Otherwise your observations seem to make perfect sense. I'm assuming that the 6680s & '90s assigned to Western today are based at NP. They're not appearing on any other NP routes --- at least as of this morning. Conversely, none of NP's 1000s have yet been used on Western (#49). Now that the Archer equipment has been redistributed, I guess there's plenty of time to finish the swaps.

Partially correcting myself:

74th's Novas are numbered, as I said, from 6594 to at least 6686. 6688, 6689 and perhaps the rest of the highest-numbered green-LED-sign Novas up to 6708 are now based at NP. FG's 6700s start, once again, at 6709 to distinguish them from the green-sign Novas now at FG. Perhaps the numbering of the assigned buses is discontinuous on purpose (FG purposely got the 6570s to lower 6590s to distinguish them from the amber-LED Novas) in order to distinguish them by destination sign type?

As a result, with the swaps mostly complete, the only garages with amber-LED-sign Novas are 77th and FG.

Of note, 6445 (one of 77th's Novas) was originally equipped with a green LED flip-dot destination sign like all of the other Novas in the 6400-6708 group. But when that bus was repaired after an accident early in its career which left its front end smashed in, it was somehow replaced with the same type of amber LED destination sign that was installed in buses 6709-6883.

Based on the prior two posts, and my observation that NP 1000s at least haven't yet gone to FG, my swag is that some of them eventually will go to 77 and 103, and thus why a few 6000s were on the street. I guess we'll know in a week or so.

On the BusTracker, I spotted 1926 operating on the #77 Belmont. The most recent assigned garage for 1926 was North Park, which means at least one of the NP 1900s made it to a (primarily) FG route.

A few additional BusTracker observations:

It looks as if the North Park Novas are beginning to "spread their wings" a bit (though I guess that metaphor would be better applied to the New Flyers). 6694 appeared on Devon, and 6705 on Broadway. In the meantime, one NP New Flyer is operating on Western(#49): 1857.

Meanwhile, it looks as if a few 1200s from 77th have been reassigned in small numerical chunks: 1248(?)-1252 to Kedzie, and 1258-1261 to FG. 1254 for now is still based at 77th.

It looks as if Archer's Optimas were scattered among three garages. 77th seems to have a few for operation on Pershing and 43rd. They're mostly in the 519-525 range, but there are also a couple of random lower-numbered ones there, too. (503 for instance).

Most of the lowest-numbered Optimas are at 103rd primarily for service on the U of C routes. However one, 514, did appear on the Jeffery Manor Express this evening.

526-529 migrated to FG. Some very weird route assignments there this afternoon and evening for the Optimas: 539 on Addison, 542 on Irving Park, and 535 showing up on Lincoln-Sedgwick as one of two FG runs. In the meantime, Routes #64 and #69 were both employing Novas. (Huh?)

Incidentally, I'd think it would make sense to hold off on further bus moves until the outcome of ongoing negotiations is determined.

• Upvote 1

[edit]

It looks as if Archer's Optimas were scattered among three garages. 77th seems to have a few for operation on Pershing and 43rd. They're mostly in the 519-525 range, but there are also a couple of random lower-numbered ones there, too. (503 for instance).

Most of the lowest-numbered Optimas are at 103rd primarily for service on the U of C routes. However one, 514, did appear on the Jeffery Manor Express this evening.

526-529 migrated to FG. Some very weird route assignments there this afternoon and evening for the Optimas: 539 on Addison, 542 on Irving Park, and 535 showing up on Lincoln-Sedgwick as one of two FG runs. In the meantime, Routes #64 and #69 were both employing Novas. (Huh?)

I was amazed to see Optimas running on routes #11 Lincoln and #80 Irving Park. {See attachments.}

Just now, I espied bus #1435 running eastbound on route #77 Belmont. Has that bus been moved, or is it a loan? {see other attachment} post-444-1265676520417_thumb.jpg

post-444-12656763848808_thumb.jpg

post-444-12656764563808_thumb.jpg

It looks as if the North Park Novas are beginning to "spread their wings" a bit (though I guess that metaphor would be better applied to the New Flyers). 6694 appeared on Devon, and 6705 on Broadway. In the meantime, one NP New Flyer is operating on Western(#49): 1857.

Meanwhile, it looks as if a few 1200s from 77th have been reassigned in small numerical chunks: 1248(?)-1252 to Kedzie, and 1258-1261 to FG. 1254 for now is still based at 77th.

Incidentally, I'd think it would make sense to hold off on further bus moves until the outcome of ongoing negotiations is determined.

Actually have to disagree with you on the last part only to the point that they have to get the remaining equipment properly distributed to keep the system functioning under the new service levels. Both points are likely moot anyway because the fleet for the most part should have been redistributed for the most part this past weekend.

Actually have to disagree with you on the last part only to the point that they have to get the remaining equipment properly distributed to keep the system functioning under the new service levels. Both points are likely moot anyway because the fleet for the most part should have been redistributed for the most part this past weekend.

Actually, you're right; I misspoke. I should have specified "bus swaps" as opposed to "bus moves".

I was amazed to see Optimas running on routes #11 Lincoln and #80 Irving Park. {See attachments.}

Just now, I espied bus #1435 running eastbound on route #77 Belmont. Has that bus been moved, or is it a loan? {see other attachment} post-444-1265676520417_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that there might be a Chicago Avenue-based run or two on the #77. Another poster spotted 1926 on Belmont earlier today.

Actually, you're right; I misspoke. I should have specified "bus swaps" as opposed to "bus moves".

Gotcha the first time and there had to be some swapping involved to make room to redistribute Novas formerly at the now inactive Archer garage to new garages. It wasn't as simple as putting Novas in garages that had Flxs given that Kedzie didn't get them though it had Flxs and 77th gave up its artics when 103rd primarily got most of the runs on the 6 and some on the 2. Also NP got some the former Archer Novas and it had no Flxs to speak of. Add in that 103rd regained what's left of the UofC routes and 77th got the lower ridershio 39 and 43 when getting the 35, those Optimas that were at Archer got split between the two.

Gotcha the first time and there had to be some swapping involved to make room to redistribute Novas formerly at the now inactive Archer garage to new garages. It wasn't as simple as putting Novas in garages that had Flxs given that Kedzie didn't get them though it had Flxs and 77th gave up its artics when 103rd primarily got most of the runs on the 6 and some on the 2. Also NP got some the former Archer Novas and it had no Flxs to speak of. Add in that 103rd regained what's left of the UofC routes and 77th got the lower ridershio 39 and 43 when getting the 35, those Optimas that were at Archer got split between the two.

Agreed on every point. All of the fleet adjustments that have been made are perfectly reasonable. I was merely suggesting that further swaps, specifically one-for-one trades of identically-sized buses, (such as NP NFs for 77th St. Novas) be held off until it's known whether or not there will be any restoration of lost service.

Agreed on every point. All of the fleet adjustments that have been made are perfectly reasonable. I was merely suggesting that further swaps, specifically one-for-one trades of identically-sized buses, (such as NP NFs for 77th St. Novas) be held off until it's known whether or not there will be any restoration of lost service.

I understand you. Things just might be stabilized for the time being as far as bus assignments go. Now how the runs have operated that's another thing. Yesterday we saw with the shared routes, one garage do most of the runs then today after a portion of the day with both garages working the route the runs shifted over to the garage that did little work on the route yesterday. A couple examples yesterday it was 74th operating 94 and today it was mostly Chicago and yesterday it was NP that handled 145 and today it was both in the morning and in the early part of the PM rush at least Kedzie had most of the runs and almost all the early runs of the PM 148. NP had a lot of the 82 runs but the schedule suggests that the late evening runs will be Kedzie from looking at the final trips ending and pulling in at Jackson.

Sunday late evening, when i checked Bus Tracker, I saw 4129 (Artic) operating on 49 Western, now thats pretty rare for a artic on that route (especially on Sunday), it appears to be a North Park bus.

I actually spotted that bus on Bus Tracker too.

It was at the 79th street terminal. But it didn't stop there. It headed northbound again. I believe Iv'e seen them on weekdays, during the after school - early afternoon rush hour period. Right on the Addison stop of

49 Western.

I actually spotted that bus on Bus Tracker too.

It was at the 79th street terminal. But it didn't stop there. It headed northbound again. I believe Iv'e seen them on weekdays, during the after school - early afternoon rush hour period. Right on the Addison stop of

49 Western.

Well now that NP is one of the route's assigned garages it won't be all that out of the ordinary now to see an artic on a regular run and not just a weekday school tripper.

#6515 and #1255 are on the #103, #6506 is on the #119

These may not have been listed as "shared" according to Kevin, but those two routes are currently shared between 77th and 103rd Garages. The three buses mentioned in the quote are currently based at 77th.