More Bus Moves

sw4400

Upper management only wants newer equipment (Nova 8343+ and up) running on the 56 because it’s a heavy ridership route and it passes Cta headquarters. The flyers are assigned primarily on Central, Belmont, Austin, Diversey and sometimes Lawrence. You will never see a flyer on Milwaukee unless P is asssiting and filling a run you may even see artic once a blue moon filling a run.

1 hour ago, Run312 said:

I work at FG and the 56 can only have Novas because that decision came from 567. In terms of bus swaps I think 1005,1006,1008,1735 are short term loans. 

IMG_0374.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Elkmn said:

Why did they make this decision?

Perhaps it's a high profile route.  It does pass right by CTA Headquarters.  It also is a suggested route for tourists to take to Millennium Park.  I'm bit for sure, but the 20 may have the same mandate.  I would expect something similar on the 65 and 66 ( with electrics in addition to Novas ) .  But the execs could have other reasons as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Run312 said:

Upper management only wants newer equipment (Nova 8343+ and up) running on the 56 because it’s a heavy ridership route and it passes Cta headquarters. The flyers are assigned primarily on Central, Belmont, Austin, Diversey and sometimes Lawrence. You will never see a flyer on Milwaukee unless P is asssiting and filling a run you may even see artic once a blue moon filling a run.

Belmont is heavier than 56 though so you'd think they'd out novas there too unless it's not enough for both? I was thinking because 56 was longer, deadheads on the exoressway and interlines at Jeff Pk giving more wear and tear. Why is newer buses passing the headquarters so important? 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

Belmont is heavier than 56 though so you'd think they'd out novas there too unless it's not enough for both? I was thinking because 56 was longer, deadheads on the exoressway and interlines at Jeff Pk giving more wear and tear. Why is newer buses passing the headquarters so important? 

When the media does reports from outside of CTA HQ, CTA probably wants to make sure the cameras get shots of the new equipment  should any pass by. Any TA, private carrier that knows there's a photo opportunity will want to showcase its  newest and beat looking equipment.   if we're being honest  the best looking New Flyer bus still looks dated    In this Day and age, videos are seen around the world,  not just in Chicago.   

I kind of want to buy a D40LF off of ebay or whatever and paint it up like a CTA bus and run it in front of HQ whenever there's a news story. Being serious though, I rode a D40 on the 56 to the 75th anniversary of the CTA and I really enjoyed it, so sad to see them go.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Perhaps it's a high profile route.  It does pass right by CTA Headquarters.  It also is a suggested route for tourists to take to Millennium Park.  I'm bit for sure, but the 20 may have the same mandate.  I would expect something similar on the 65 and 66 ( with electrics in addition to Novas ) .  But the execs could have other reasons as well. 

Also the newer nova’s have a lot of safety features and sensors which helps on Milwaukee especially with the amount of bikes on that route. I tried to pull a flyer out on a Milwaukee run and was told that would never happen anymore. Higher ups want the 56 all Novas. The check out window and supervisors will always make sure a nova is on the route. They go to extreme lengths to make sure of it

1 hour ago, Run312 said:

there was a D40LF yesterday and today on a south shops block on the 56

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

there was a D40LF yesterday and today on a south shops block on the 56

Yea that’s rare, I know a lot of our flyers have been OOS especially the 1000’s, low 1400’s and some of the 1600’s

4 hours ago, Run312 said:

Flyers are on the 56 from time to time for am rush, i seen them before

12 hours ago, Run312 said:

Just came into work earlier and saw 1179 and 1172 at FG

It's about time, I was wondering when they would start receiving more elderly #1000's, Makes me wonder if they'll eventually get some elderly #7900s. #1133 did pop up at 74th yesterday.

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It's about time, I was wondering when they would start receiving more elderly #1000's, Makes me wonder if they'll eventually get some elderly #7900s. #1133 did pop up at 74th yesterday.

The bus exchange FG just did this morning receiving #8579 and #8684 from just put that theory to rest as far as Novas are concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

yea K sent out 4004, 4007-4008, 4040 and 4043 to P and K coughed up 1005, 1008, 1016, 1700, 1735 to FG and P coughed up 1107, 1423 and 1798 to FG

So for K a shedding of excess after recent 8350s delivered and for NP a tradeoff of a few 40 footers in exchange for artics. Meanwhile, strangely enough FG got a bit more New Flyer in equipment.