More Bus Moves

sw4400

30 minutes ago, andrethebusman99 said:

Until exact fare specific buses had specific fare boxes. For instance, at North Ave for decades most had Johnson J's that only took quarters and tokens, while a specific group had Grant Moneymeters that took all coins that were used only on Division St for NW Station shuttle fares. 

Thanks for the prehistory. Now tell us why or who decides that NP hasn't received new buses since the 4300s. It sure isn't because a Nova Bus doesn't have a slate-blue 201 Central Grant sign, and all buses are supposed to get a Scheidt-Baumann farebox.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

Thanks for the prehistory. Now tell us why or who decides that NP hasn't received new buses since the 4300s. It sure isn't because a Nova Bus doesn't have a slate-blue 201 Central Grant sign, and all buses are supposed to get a Scheidt-Baumann farebox.

These days a lot of these decisions are made on the basis of "equity" - the concept that for purely political reasons some parts of the city "deserve" newer buses than other areas, basically because of demographics. Hard truth. And not exactly a new way of doing things either, for years Beverly and Archer had the newest fleets because their service areas had more political "pull", though that seemed to come and go, like when Archer's 3000s were replaced by propanes. But assignments have always had "extraneous forces" involved.

6 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

These days a lot of these decisions are made on the basis of "equity" - the concept that for purely political reasons some parts of the city "deserve" newer buses than other areas, basically because of demographics. Hard truth. And not exactly a new way of doing things either, for years Beverly and Archer had the newest fleets because their service areas had more political "pull", though that seemed to come and go, like when Archer's 3000s were replaced by propanes. But assignments have always had "extraneous forces" involved.

Again, thanks for the ancient history, The reason 77th got air conditioned buses (4000s out, 5300s in), 6400s, 1000s before K, etc. was "equity." Apparently the routes out of 69th weren't entitled to any equity, or accessible buses, until that barn closed.

But you still haven't told us who (in the sense of job title) makes these decisions today.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Again, thanks for the ancient history, The reason 77th got air conditioned buses (4000s out, 5300s in), 6400s, 1000s before K, etc. was "equity." Apparently the routes out of 69th weren't entitled to any equity, or accessible buses, until that barn closed.

But you still haven't told us who (in the sense of job title) makes these decisions today.

69th did not have buses newer than 9000s because the doors were streetcar-sized and it was felt that newer buses would be too wide to fit without excessive possibility of sidswiping door posts.

As to who decides which garage gets what as far as series, on a general level it is vice president-bus operations who makes the decision to say transfer 20 artics to Chicago Ave or to move them out to North Park. On a bus by bus micro level, that would come from the clerk at South Shops who keeps track of what bus is where, used to be and still might be Kevin Haff. Which particular bus goes where is based more on who needs a bus today and who has a bus to spare, not on any higher decision. Head of maintenance at 74th calls S Shops, says we will need three buses tomorrow to make schedule. South Shops clerk looks at his daily list, sees who should have three spares tomorrow, or if anything is ready to go at shop, and calls garage back to tell them send three drivers over to such garage or the shops to fetch the buses indicated. Tomorrow the process repeats itself. Same process for buses going to shops for work. Shop clerk decides there will be room for a bus that has been sitting at a garage to be worked on, or room to store it, garage is called to send it down, or utility is called to go get it. In the end, a single clerk at South Shops really does determine what is where.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, andrethebusman99 said:

69th did not have buses newer than 9000s because the doors were streetcar-sized and it was felt that newer buses would be too wide to fit without excessive possibility of sidswiping door posts.

As to who decides which garage gets what as far as series, on a general level it is vice president-bus operations who makes the decision to say transfer 20 artics to Chicago Ave or to move them out to North Park. On a bus by bus micro level, that would come from the clerk at South Shops who keeps track of what bus is where, used to be and still might be Kevin Haff. Which particular bus goes where is based more on who needs a bus today and who has a bus to spare, not on any higher decision. Head of maintenance at 74th calls S Shops, says we will need three buses tomorrow to make schedule. South Shops clerk looks at his daily list, sees who should have three spares tomorrow, or if anything is ready to go at shop, and calls garage back to tell them send three drivers over to such garage or the shops to fetch the buses indicated. Tomorrow the process repeats itself. Same process for buses going to shops for work. Shop clerk decides there will be room for a bus that has been sitting at a garage to be worked on, or room to store it, garage is called to send it down, or utility is called to go get it. In the end, a single clerk at South Shops really does determine what is where.

Wow wasn't expecting that but makes sense. So on top of being in charge of heavier maintenance South Shops is like the "supervisor"/middle man for bus moves?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, andrethebusman99 said:

Explained it better than I could. That's how the process works from top to bottom. Every position plays a role sometimes more than the other at times. 

2 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

Dam didn't know it worked like that 

2 hours ago, andrethebusman99 said:

But 69th DID  have the 4000s that DID have wider front doors. 

So I did some digging and found out from maintenance that 77th will be getting more #8350s in the near future and that will push some #1000s and surprisingly some #7900s out the door to other garages in the future. I asked the reasoning behind the moves and was told the #7900s were going to be moved due to there age. The #1000s should be around to see another day as the old saying goes. Which doesn't surprise me one bit and the mileage on them is near 300k miles. Probably explains why #7909 was moved to 103rd. Kedzie for some odd reason though may or may not keep those #8260s for the long term going into next year in favor of the incoming #8600s. I wouldn't be surprised if 77th got them to then replace the displaced #1000s.

8 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I know right, it took a while but we're almost back to the normal way of doing things around here. ???

Remins me of Young Frankenstein:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?

Igor: Abby someone.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?

Igor: Abby... Normal.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?

Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [chuckles, then] Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

[

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So I did some digging and found out from maintenance that 77th will be getting more #8350s in the near future and that will push some #1000s and surprisingly some #7900s out the door to other garages in the future. I asked the reasoning behind the moves and was told the #7900s were going to be moved due to there age. The #1000s should be around to see another day as the old saying goes. Which doesn't surprise me one bit and the mileage on them is near 300k miles. Probably explains why #7909 was moved to 103rd. Kedzie for some odd reason though may or may not keep those #8260s for the long term going into next year in favor of the incoming #8600s. I wouldn't be surprised if 77th got them to then replace the displaced #1000s.

I always thought 77th would get 8350s.   I do believe 74th will eventually get some also.  The question is whether K or C would get them?  My guess is C.  Obviously that means I believe P will not get any Novas but will continue to be all New Flyer at least until CTA figures out how they will replace the 4000 series artics. 

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The question is whether K or C would get them?

@YoungBusLover posted the training notice for K, so they are getting them.  Between C and NP, I'm sure the focus at C is electric buses or the occasional poaching from FG, while I doubt that NP will eternally rely on less dependable 1000s on 40 ft routes such as 36 and 155.

8 minutes ago, Busjack said:

@YoungBusLover posted the training notice for K, so they are getting them.  Between C and NP, I'm sure the focus at C is electric buses or the occasional poaching from FG, while I doubt that NP will eternally rely on less dependable 1000s on 40 ft routes such as 36 and 155.

The "training " had more to do with the collision avoidance system than the actual models

Remember it was stated  the 7900s were going to have the new system retrofitted which is why K was able to receive the Novas it has now.  C has a very small number of electrics and hasn't ordered enough yet to make me believe that 8350s aren't in their short term plans.   They can easily give up their upper 1900s and 2000s to North Park. 

Just now, artthouwill said:

The "training " had more to do with the collision avoidance system than the actual models

You didn't  read the notice. It said:

image.png.49b35b9d521d7df61fd226dab87ff4b9.png

So, the buses are there. Whether they are to be capriciously transferred out is anyone's guess, but the reason they are not now in service at K is because the operators need training on the Mobileye.

• 2 weeks later...