New Eldorados?

artthouwill

Not all 6000's are being retired 1:1. Some of them were repowered in the last few years, and are still maintained to the point of functionality (that last point is subjective).

Apparently the 6000's are fading faster than it is to replace them, apparently.

Acceptance Center is FULL of 6400's - I would say at least two dozen, maybe more. Seen up to 6468.

They must have done some hiring on the assembly line in Riverside,CA!! Could this be a signal that delivery is going to skyrocket for new Pace Axess'? They've only really built over 100 so far and they have options for up to 416. Going at the former rate that would take about 8 years to deliver and it was my understanding the options stretch over 4-5 years. Plus they have the CNG's on tap and possible new Pulse buses.

They must have done some hiring on the assembly line in Riverside,CA!! Could this be a signal that delivery is going to skyrocket for new Pace Axess'? They've only really built over 100 so far and they have options for up to 416. Going at the former rate that would take about 8 years to deliver and it was my understanding the options stretch over 4-5 years. Plus they have the CNG's on tap and possible new Pulse buses.

Limit on options is 5 years (presumably based on contract award date to notice to proceed on each option). One also has to consider that if a delivery year starts around November, Nov. 2013 resulted in only 8 buses (6392-99).

The 5 year limit may explain why NABI said Pace had options for up to about 340 buses, but when it went bankrupt said that there weren't any outstanding options--maybe 100 expired, or maybe NABI couldn't count.

It seems like logjams have broken both in Plattsburgh and Riverside, as a couple of weeks ago people were wondering here about both..

And see below...

15500 at Taft also (CNG).

Pace paid for it, so it should be somewhere on its property. The real questions are how the construction project to convert the South division garage to CNG is going, and when Axess production will be converted so they start delivering the other 90 CNGs starting by the end of 2015 (extrapolating the start date in the solicitation of June 2014 and the announcement of the contract about 18 months late). Finally, while it appears that Pulse buses will be diesels, I don't assume 416 diesels and 250 CNGs.

Hopefully Pace doesn't have the same problem as Transpo's CNG buses of South Bend, Indiana has. They have received CNG buses close to a year ago but they didn't have a CNG facility built yet!!

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/transpos-cng-buses-to-benefit-city-of-south-bend-community/30261432

Obviously that's why 15500 is sitting in the yard, but ever since when the NABI and a gas supplier approached the Pace board and the announcement of the state grant for the buses and the Pace bond issue to convert the garage to CNG, Pace has been contemplating the need for both. An 11 month delay in South Bend seems unreasonable, and does not reflect that level of planning.

The more interesting point in that article is that the Transpo fueling station is going to be used by other government entities,  a point MotorWeek makes in its Clean Cities reports.

• 1 month later...

The big question is whether or not that is a Suburban model or not. That one is a shocker.

6482 is showing up on #213...

Well. you guys made me do it:

I saw 6482 on Webwatch in Highland Park, and figured I could intercept it in Winnetka. Took to Emerson St. in Evanston, though.

Anyway, it is a regular transit with a back door.

I saw 6377 on the 626. Is Northshore getting these buses now?

Three week old news. I had seen it on 620 (personally) a week ago. That  (and 6378, after Heritage got 9 new MCIs) was apparently sent there to get the 618 going.

• Upvote 1

So where are 6448 - 6480?  Has Pace stopped putting them out in numerical sequence?  While NW seems to be adding new buses, the old ones aren't going away so fast. 

I have a feeling that the situation is similar to in 2007 when a whole mess of buses (such as Niles 2640-2649) didn't show up and it turned out that resources were being used to get 2667-2694 to Naperville in time to convert it from school buses. From what Andre posted, the buses are at South Holland, but there must have been some urgent reason to start North Shore's allotment.

Could it be that some of the missing buses may be slated for Pulse service?  

Pulse service isn't scheduled until 2017. Maybe it does indicate that NW eventually gets up to 6480.

Edited by Busjack
reinterpreted question

6450-76 are MIA as of now, if not at S Holland.

Any indication of essentially 6448, 6449, 6477-6480, not posted here yet?

On trying to track down 6481-6482, one dependable place appears to be route 422 leaving Linden at 3:00 p.m and Northbrook Court at 4:30. I feel kind of stupid chasing 6482 to Evanston on Monday, when it passed me on my normal rounds Tuesday. I don't know if the trip 3 hours later also works.