New Eldorados?

artthouwill

So they must have fixed what was the problem with those buses. Andre said they were going in for repair. It will be interesting in the coming weeks to see if NW has enough to retire the Orions there in totality.

It looks like mostly Axess buses on the street. I would assume that those like 6000, 6004 on the street would be gone, but not the 6140s, up.

It looks like mostly Axess buses on the street. I would assume that those like 6000, 6004 on the street would be gone, but not the 6140s, up.

They definitely can't afford to have an Orion show up on Pulse #270. That would be embarrassing!! xD

Edited by BusHunter

So how does the Axess buses compare to the 7900's? Which do you prefer?

I actually like the Axess better. Eldorado makes a nice bus. It's too bad they are a small company. The Axess is more aerodynamic and modern than the Nova which is still basically using the same shell from 2000. If you think about it the only manufacturer to use basically the same shell for 15 years is the GM Fishbowl design. Maybe the Flxible design did it too, but back then there was no competition, it was basically the two companies dueling it out. Also I like how the Axess seems to have alot of seating. That's important with a low floor bus, although the modern CTA Novabus spec has a better seat layout design than the older specs. I still think CTA would have done better with a New Flyer, the Xcelsiors are better designed, roomy and modern and the older LF's are holding up really well. Pluses for the newer Nova bus include better acceleration and transmission than the older ones, they run as fast as the #1000's, but the #1000's are working on 10 years old.

They said they were getting new buses for that, and that it'll be in 2017.

The NW tollway has signs on it at the Devon toll plaza that the nw tollway project will be done in 2016. So they might be needed buses for the I-90 corridor soon enough. It looks to be half done by the winter this year. Probably another construction season and their done.

Des Plaines is a sea of Eldorados now. I only saw 3 Orions in my travels.

The NW tollway has signs on it at the Devon toll plaza that the nw tollway project will be done in 2016. So they might be needed buses for the I-90 corridor soon enough. It looks to be half done by the winter this year. Probably another construction season and their done.

Des Plaines is a sea of Eldorados now. I only saw 3 Orions in my travels.

It's like Pace is spoiling the Northwest with new buses while CTA is the complete opposite spoiling the Southeast.

It's like Pace is spoiling the Northwest with new buses while CTA is the complete opposite spoiling the Southeast.

Sorry but that's not correct. Both Pace and CTA have placed newer buses in more than just those areas. Don't be mislead by Pace having spread out taking newer deliveries over aa slightly longer time period than CTA. Pace also placed Axess buses at West Division, most of the express versions on 877 and 888 and like the remaining two Axess express models seen on 755. On CTA's side of things if you also add in the 4300s which are still relatively new as well being barely three years old as a series, CTA has placed newer buses in most sections of the city proper except the farthest NW sides so far.

Sorry but that's not correct. Both Pace and CTA have placed newer buses in more than just those areas. Don't be mislead by Pace having spread out taking newer deliveries over aa slightly longer time period than CTA. Pace also placed Axess buses at West Division, most of the express versions on 877 and 888 and like the remaining two Axess express models seen on 755. On CTA's side of things if you also add in the 4300s which are still relatively new as well being barely three years old as a series, CTA has placed newer buses in most sections of the city proper except the farthest NW sides so far.

The difference is that Pace is now putting new buses where the ones to be retired are, instead of concentrating all the old garbage in one garage. The analogy would be if he 6400s went to SW and SW's Orions were sent to NW because they don't have enough mileage. That seems to be what CTA is doing, and according to BusHunter, intends to keep doing.

Besides south will be getting the CNG's eventually so they will have the best buses. Hopefully south doesn't tear them up because they have nowhere else to go so far. I think that was a gutsy move to put them at the garage with the higher ridership. Maybe they should have experimented somewhere with a smaller ridership like sw or ns.

Edited by BusHunter

... Maybe they should have experimented somewhere with a smaller ridership like sw or ns.

I suppose, but the particular buses have been used in southern California for about 10 years, so this probably was a lower risk move. Also, they aren't going to arrive all at once (see the following from the spec):

cng.thumb.jpg.ea528581841cf10bdd0e268776

Of course, we know it isn't going to be June 1, 2014, but Dec.1, 2015 sounds reasonable.

Now if you want to speculate, maybe the series of 40 bus options is for garages like N or SW. However, those would have to go through the building improvements that S is undergoing now.

I suppose, but the particular buses have been used in southern California for about 10 years, so this probably was a lower risk move. Also, they aren't going to arrive all at once (see the following from the spec):

cng.thumb.jpg.ea528581841cf10bdd0e268776

Of course, we know it isn't going to be June 1, 2014, but Dec.1, 2015 sounds reasonable.

Now if you want to speculate, maybe the series of 40 bus options is for garages like N or SW. However, those would have to go through the building improvements that S is undergoing now.

Well the talk of the town last year was how NW was going to become CNG itself, but they have to build the new garage first. 9_9

Traveling eastbound mid-morning on the 90 just just west of 53, I have noticed several westbound  new Eldorados  with the destination "TO GARAGE". Is there another garage  that is assigned new Eldorados or is there a mid-day storage out west for the express routes?

Those would be the 6 Axess buses that River has which are used for supplemental service on 600, 606, 610 and 616.

Actually I've never seen them on anything other than the #610, but that might change once the I-90 BOS starts. Who knows we might even see a few MCI's.

I was also under the impression that those River buses were only on 610, but then I noticed the back of the timetables for 600, 606, 610, 616 say they are operated by both River and NW, so I don't know what the deal is.

I was also under the impression that those River buses were only on 610, but then I noticed the back of the timetables for 600, 606, 610, 616 say they are operated by both River and NW, so I don't know what the deal is.

River runs a few NABi #6600's. Those #6600's you see on the #606 and #616? are Rivers buses. They only have about 8 #6600's. I haven't seen anything other than a NW bus on #600 now in months, but I could have missed a River bus as I don't frequent that area alot.

BTW, if you want to know what is where the first page of the Pace roster under the Pace forum lists the roster as I know it.

Edited by BusHunter