Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Not that the Yellow Line doesn't need track maintenance but the Forest Park branch of the Blue Lune  is ridiculous.   We are talking 60 plus years of neglect. 

No point with the road bed being as bad as it is. I remember before the Dan Ryan was shut down they replaced all the ties 1-2 years before. We got maybe a month of decent speed before it went back to crap. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Maybe the more relevant question is why the track work  wasn't done the 7 weeks the Yellow Line was shut down anyway?

Probably so it won't "tamper" with the investigation. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Accident investigation including track conditions, block signaling, etc?  I have to wonder if NTSB  made any recommendations to XRA that made track maintenance a priority for the Yellow Line?

 

The report didn't show anything involving track. Probably just regularly scheduled maintenance. Adding to my earlier reply as far as "why not forest Park?" Most of the other places that we feel could actually use some maintenance can't be dealt with until the projects start (FP rebuild, RPM, etc)

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

No point with the road bed being as bad as it is. I remember before the Dan Ryan was shut down they replaced all the ties 1-2 years before. We got maybe a month of decent speed before it went back to crap. 

Agreed.   I suppose there's no funding in place  so I suffered through the Dan Ryan slow zones and tge Howard slow zones si u can suffer through the Blue slow zones too 

Posted
51 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Agreed.   I suppose there's no funding in place  so I suffered through the Dan Ryan slow zones and tge Howard slow zones si u can suffer through the Blue slow zones too 

They could've at least been more proactive about the section east of Cicero Though since IDOT work shouldn't interfere

  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 11/9/2024 at 10:13 AM, Sam92 said:

No point with the road bed being as bad as it is. I remember before the Dan Ryan was shut down they replaced all the ties 1-2 years before. We got maybe a month of decent speed before it went back to crap. 

Concrete ties were rubbing against the rock ballast and disintegrating into powder which then mixed with the ballast.

Ballast was already down to a muddy mess by that point so all the tamping in the world would have been pointless. Only total ballast replacement helped the situation.

 

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Seen on NBC5, but here's the CTA Press Release: CTA is no longer putting alerts on X, "as this social media platform no longer provides the value it once did for us to effectively reach and communicate with our riders." Both @cta and @ctaAlerts are suspended. Instead, CTA suggests signing up for text alerts.

Posted
13 hours ago, Busjack said:

Seen on NBC5, but here's the CTA Press Release: CTA is no longer putting alerts on X, "as this social media platform no longer provides the value it once did for us to effectively reach and communicate with our riders." Both @cta and @ctaAlerts are suspended. Instead, CTA suggests signing up for text alerts.

That speaks volumes as to how that idiot Musk has destroyed its usefulness!

  • Upvote 1
Posted
On 1/4/2025 at 7:23 AM, strictures said:

That speaks volumes as to how that idiot Musk has destroyed its usefulness!

`After a semi-diligent search, this seems confirmed by WGN, which seems to be the only one having an explanation: "The CTA’s decision comes as critics say X’s owner, Elon Musk, has promoted misinformation via the site and tweaked algorithms that downplay some accounts." It also noted that CTA is on other platforms. 

ABC7 said: 'No further information about the agency's decision to leave the social media site was immediately available."

  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Posted
3 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Purple Line Express trains stopping at Sheridan during Cubs games and special events at Wrigley Field.

Purple SB Loop trips for Night games and special events.

Purple NB Linden trips after day games end (NEW).

 

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=113892

At this point,  the Purple Line trains between Belmont and Wilson are slow enough that there isn't a time saving advantages over the Red Line,  especially northbound .  What this could possibly do is alleviate some overcrowding at Addison by giving riders going to Howard and beyond an alternative.

I remember the days when Addison was a  B station, except on game days.  Addison also had two side platforms.   While rebuilding the station to an island platform alleviated the conflict between Howard and Evanston Express trains, perhaps the better idea would have been to make Addison more like Loyola with a longer platform and a separate stopping area for northbound trains on one end and southbound trains on the other end.  For Northern riders there would be more room and Sheridan could still be an option.  For southbound riders, there would be more room and there's still the option to walk to Belmont or Southport and boarding a Purple or Brown Line train. 

Nevertheless an improvement. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
49 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Pirple Line service suspended  Howard.to Wilson.  Red Line service suspended north of Thorndale due to medical emergency on the tracks at Jarvis.  Yellow Line service suspended. 

UPDATE:  Around 10a service is moving again on all 3 lines.  Te alerts page says here are residual delays. 

Posted
4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Pirple Line service suspended  Howard.to Wilson.  Red Line service suspended north of Thorndale due to medical emergency on the tracks at Jarvis.  Yellow Line service suspended. 

Not a "medical emergency", it was suicide by train!

Posted
1 hour ago, strictures said:

Not a "medical emergency", it was suicide by train!

I figured as uch.  Years ago I witnessed one, or the immediate results of one at Lawrence.   I was in the very last car and saw the body after  the train ran over it..  The body was skinless and smoldering.  After I got off the train I was told by a girl that witnessed it that a man jumped in front of the train.  I was on the A train and at the time Lawrence was a B station.   You can imagine. 

Posted
4 hours ago, strictures said:

Not a "medical emergency", it was suicide by train!

I mentioned when @sw4400 was posting all the "medical emergeny" alerts that "medical emergency: was CTA speak for "death," and I found the compulsive need to post that disgusting.    @artthouwill's original post informative to the extent that it noted that everything around Howard was shut down, but I am not going to speculate about the cause of the emergency. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I mentioned when @sw4400 was posting all the "medical emergeny" alerts that "medical emergency: was CTA speak for "death," and I found the compulsive need to post that disgusting.    @artthouwill's original post informative to the extent that it noted that everything around Howard was shut down, but I am not going to speculate about the cause of the emergency. 

News reports say a 17 year old boy was fatally struck by a train at Jarvis.   No one has confirmed  whether or not it was a suicide or accident.  Very unfortunate and I feel for anyone that witnessed it.   It's something you never forget. 

Posted
9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

News reports say a 17 year old boy was fatally struck by a train at Jarvis.   No one has confirmed  whether or not it was a suicide or accident.  Very unfortunate and I feel for anyone that witnessed it.   It's something you never forget. 

The local alderwoman said it was a suicide!  And I once saw a guy lay down in front of a Metra train at the Edgebrook Station at Devon & Lehigh!

Posted
4 hours ago, strictures said:

The local alderwoman said it was a suicide! 

Exactly, how is that your business?

Posted
24 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Exactly, how is that your business?

She sent it out to everyone.

And it is our business, in case you didn't know, because it delays the trains & we have a right to know that.  Plus there is also the possibility of the family suing the CTA over it, by claiming it's too easy to get on the tracks.  Or did you forget the lawsuit against the CTA some years ago when a drunk got past the angle timbers at grade on the Ravenswood tracks & got fried on the trolley rail?

Posted
2 hours ago, strictures said:

She sent it out to everyone.

 

  • She didn't send it to me If it happened  3/4 mile north of there, would you have obtained it from city council member Shawn Iles?
  • Last I knew she wasn't the medical examiner or a psychologist.
  • I'm sure your first post was before you received that missive.
Quote

And it is our business, in case you didn't know, because it delays the trains & we have a right to know that.  Plus there is also the possibility of the family suing the CTA over it, by claiming it's too easy to get on the tracks.  Or did you forget the lawsuit against the CTA some years ago when a drunk got past the angle timbers at grade on thvenswood tracks & got fried on the trolley rail?

  • The last I knew, you weren't the CTA's General Counsel or risk assessment officer. I assume they know premises liability law and also that the liability reserve doesn't affect your fares.
  • It could affect you if there is a security risk, such as if the victim were pushed or otherwise assaulted. But you said you don't ride the L.

In short, your diagnosis (or even Hadden's) is basically none of your business. You just decided to go rouge derrier on the Internet.

Posted
4 hours ago, Busjack said:
  • She didn't send it to me If it happened  3/4 mile north of there, would you have obtained it from city council member Shawn Iles?
  • Last I knew she wasn't the medical examiner or a psychologist.
  • I'm sure your first post was before you received that missive.
  • The last I knew, you weren't the CTA's General Counsel or risk assessment officer. I assume they know premises liability law and also that the liability reserve doesn't affect your fares.
  • It could affect you if there is a security risk, such as if the victim were pushed or otherwise assaulted. But you said you don't ride the L.

In short, your diagnosis (or even Hadden's) is basically none of your business. You just decided to go rouge derrier on the Internet.

Anything that happens in public is the public's business! Period!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...