CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

5/27/14 9:12p

Construction Alert For 5/28/14 @ 9a until 2p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: 63rd-bound trains will not stop at Indiana.

• Service to Indiana: Take a 63rd-bound train to 43rd and transfer to a Harlem/Lake-bound train
  • Service from Indiana: Take a Harlem/Lake-bound train to 35th-Bronzeville-IIT and transfer to a 63rd-bound train

This is due to platform improvements to the Indiana station.

5/29/14 1:08a

Construction Alert For 5/29/14 @ 9a until 2p

• Service to Indiana: Take a 63rd-bound train to 43rd and transfer to a Harlem/Lake-bound train
  • Service from Indiana: Take a Harlem/Lake-bound train to 35th-Bronzeville-IIT and transfer to a 63rd-bound train

5/30/14 12:58a

Construction Alert For 5/30/14 @ 9a until 2p

5/30/14 10:28a

Upcoming Alert For 5/30/14 @ 10p until 6/2/14 @ 4a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Disrupted w/Alternate Service Available

Information: Trains operate between O-Hare and Logan Square and between Western(O-Hare Branch), Downtown(Dearborn St. Subway) and Forest Park.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace rail service between Western(O-Hare Branch) and Logan Square. Free Transfer between Shuttle Buses and rail service is only available at Western and Logan Square, and requires the farecard used to pay your fare at the start of your trip.

This is due to track improvements to eliminate slow zones and improve rail service along the Blue Line.

5/31/14 11:01a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Disruption

Information: Service is temporarily disrupted between Merchandise Mart and The Loop Elevated due to an extended bridge lift.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are available to provide connecting service between Merchandise Mart and Clark/Lake.

6/2/14 12:32a

Construction Alert For 6/2/14 @ 9a until 2p

6/5/14 3:26p

Level Of Service Interruption: Major Delays

Information: Trains in both directions are operating on the same track at Indiana and 43rd stations due to an obstruction at 43rd. Board all trains on the Harlem/Lake-bound side of the platform at Indiana and 43rd.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses are in place to provide connecting service between 35th and 55th. Additionally, customers can also use #3 King Drive, #43 43rd, #29 State and #63 63rd buses as an alternate to Green Line service.

6/6/14 12:24a

Upcoming Alert For 6/6/14 @ 10p until 6/9/14 @ 4a

Information: Trains operate between O-Hare and Logan Square and between Western(O-Hare Branch), Downtown(Dearborn St. Subway) and Forest Park.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace rail service between Western(O-Hare Branch) and Logan Square. Free Transfer between Shuttle Buses and rail service is only available at Western and Logan Square, and requires the farecard used to pay your fare at the start of your trip.

This is due to track improvements to eliminate slow zones and improve rail service along the Blue Line.

6/6/14 11:02p

Overnight until Late Morning Rail Alert

Upcoming Alert For 6/7/14 @ 1:40a until 11:40a

Information: Trains operate between Harlem/Lake, Downtown(Loop Elevated), and Roosevelt and between 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, Ashland/63rd, and Cottage Grove.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace rail service between Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT. Free transfer between Shuttle Buses and Rail Service is only available at Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, and requires the farecard used to pay your fare at the start of your trip.

This is due to construction of the new Cermak-McCormick Place station and structural maintenance work.

6/8/14 12:44a

Overnight until Late Morning Rail Alert

Upcoming Alert For 6/8/14 @ 1:40a until 11:40a

Information: Trains operate between Harlem/Lake, Downtown(Loop Elevated), and Roosevelt and between 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, Ashland/63rd, and Cottage Grove.

Alternate Service: Shuttle Buses will replace rail service between Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT. Free transfer between Shuttle Buses and Rail Service is only available at Roosevelt and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT, and requires the farecard used to pay your fare at the start of your trip.

This is due to construction of the new Cermak-McCormick Place station and structural maintenance work.

• Upvote 1

6/8/14 12:46a

Upcoming Rail Alert For 6/8/14 @ 6a until 8p

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Armitage and Merchandise Mart.

• 6a-1p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at Chicago and Sedgwick.
  • 1p-8p: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at Chicago and Sedgwick.

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service along the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

6/8/14 5:29p

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Brown Line trains are experiencing delays between Sedgwick and Merchandise Mart, due to a single track condition. Trains are moving thru the affected area(s) as quickly as possible.

6/13/14 10:35a

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Forest Park-bound trains are operating with delays after an earlier mechanical problem on a train near Rosemont and a track condition near Harlem/O-Hare.

6/17/14 7:35p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown, Green, Orange, Purple, Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Disrupted

Information: All Loop Elevated trains are standing due to a derailment at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at Wabash/Van Buren affecting service restoration.

Alternate Service: Passengers may use the Red Line, Blue Line #29 State, #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #20 Madison, #62 Archer and other bus routes in and around Downtown for alternate service.

Story

Service Interruption Update(8:05p): Service has resumed as follows...

• Brown & Green Line Service has resumed(Major Delays).
  • Orange Line Service has resumed via a reroute through the Loop Elevated. Trains will operate counterclockwise(Brown) on the Outer Loop. Board/Exit all trains on the Brown Line platforms at all Loop Elevated stations due to a derailment of a Orange Line train derailment at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at the Wabash/Van Buren Junction(Major Delays w/ Reroute).
  • Pink Line Service is operating only as far as Ashland due to a derailment of an Orange Line train at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at the Wabash/Van Buren Junction(Service Disrupted).

Alternate Service: For continuing service to Downtown, transfer at Ashland to a 63rd-bound Green Line train. To reach Pink Line stations to the south and west of the Loop Elevated, use a Harlem-bound Green Line train to Ashland/Lake and transfer to Pink Line trains there.

A Bus Shuttle has also been put into place between Ashland/Lake and Clark/Lake.

• Upvote 3

6/17/14 7:35p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown, Green, Orange, Purple, Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: Service Disrupted

Information: All Loop Elevated trains are standing due to a derailment at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at Wabash/Van Buren affecting service restoration.

Alternate Service: Passengers may use the Red Line, Blue Line #29 State, #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #20 Madison, #62 Archer and other bus routes in and around Downtown for alternate service.

Story

Service Interruption Update(8:05p): Service has resumed as follows...

• Brown & Green Line Service has resumed(Major Delays).
  • Orange Line Service has resumed via a reroute through the Loop Elevated. Trains will operate counterclockwise(Brown) on the Outer Loop. Board/Exit all trains on the Brown Line platforms at all Loop Elevated stations due to a derailment of a Orange Line train derailment at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at the Wabash/Van Buren Junction(Major Delays w/ Reroute).
  • Pink Line Service is operating only as far as Ashland due to a derailment of an Orange Line train at LaSalle/Van Buren and signal problems at the Wabash/Van Buren Junction(Service Disrupted).

Alternate Service: For continuing service to Downtown, transfer at Ashland to a 63rd-bound Green Line train. To reach Pink Line stations to the south and west of the Loop Elevated, use a Harlem-bound Green Line train to Ashland/Lake and transfer to Pink Line trains there.

A Bus Shuttle has also been put into place between Ashland/Lake and Clark/Lake.

Wow, I've seriously dodged a bullet there because of the fact that I lock up my bike inside Harold Washington Library Station after my work shifts. If I'd decided to work earlier this evening then (God forbid), it would've been a possibility that I could've got hit by those pieces of steel came off the track. Miraculously, I took this day off.

Wow, I've seriously dodged a bullet there because of the fact that I lock up my bike inside Harold Washington Library Station after my work shifts. If I'd decided to work earlier this evening then (God forbid), it would've been a possibility that I could've got hit by those pieces of steel came off the track. Miraculously, I took this day off.

Another case when they supposedly rebuilt the tracks recently. They didn't say if the train derailed on its own and sent fasteners to the street, or the track work wasn't any good.

Anyway, I saw the WGN version (on TV, although the web link is here).

Another case when they supposedly rebuilt the tracks recently. They didn't say if the train derailed on its own and sent fasteners to the street, or the track work wasn't any good.

Why don't you wait until they give an official explanation before you fashion your fairy tales with "rebuilt" and "work wasn't any good."

Well, it's very uncertain but it's disappointing that this had to happen. It's already so much going on with derailments, equipment issues, "sleeping beauty" conductor, etc. I just wonder what are the repercussions from this derailment moving forward?

I would love to work there but just because you work there doesn't mean to down others mate because that's deplorably weak! Damn, we can't learn certain things now a days without someone trying to be a "know it all"???

Not trying to stir things up, but I agree that an explanation is needed on all the loop issues. The track work and all the signaling was replaced in the last 5 years according to the publicly available information. The derailment is a rare occurrence, but obviously something went wrong.

The bigger issue is there are constantly delays in the loop due to signal problems. As someone who commutes downtown daily, this is very frustrating, and I would like to understand what the CTA is doing to remedy the situation.

Not trying to stir things up, but I agree that an explanation is needed on all the loop issues. The track work and all the signaling was replaced in the last 5 years according to the publicly available information. The derailment is a rare occurrence, but obviously something went wrong.

The bigger issue is there are constantly delays in the loop due to signal problems. As someone who commutes downtown daily, this is very frustrating, and I would like to understand what the CTA is doing to remedy the situation.

The bigger issue is there are constantly delays in the loop due to signal problems. As someone who commutes downtown daily, this is very frustrating, and I would like to understand what the CTA is doing to remedy the situati

That question is extremely up in the air but I wouldn't be surprised if I hear two or more different answers from it.