CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

Wow, I've seriously dodged a bullet there because of the fact that I lock up my bike inside Harold Washington Library Station after my work shifts. If I'd decided to work earlier this evening then (God forbid), it would've been a possibility that I could've got hit by those pieces of steel came off the track. Miraculously, I took this day off.

No, you seriously dodged rail ties falling from the tracks.

6/24/14 12:54a

Construction Alert For 6/24/14 @ 9a until 2p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: Harlem/Lake-bound trains will not stop at 51st station.

• Service to 51st: Take a Harlem/Lake-bound train to 47th and transfer to a 63rd-bound train
  • Service from 51st: Take a 63rd-bound train to Garfield and transfer to a Harlem/Lake-bound train.

This is due to platform improvements to the 51st St. station.

The bigger issue is there are constantly delays in the loop due to signal problems. As someone who commutes downtown daily, this is very frustrating, and I would like to understand what the CTA is doing to remedy the situation.

It's not just The Loop which has signal problems, it's most of the system.

It's incredibly frustrating to be in the first car, hear the cab chimes go off & have it repeatedly stop & start even though you can see for miles ahead there's nothing there & the train wasn't speeding.

I have this happen all the time NB from Lawrence & on a clear day, you can see it's clear to Granville.

There's something seriously wrong with the cab signal system as it gives out false signals to slow or stop for no logical reason.

I don't know if this is deliberate because management doesn't trust the motormen or if the system is just failing after all these years.

I don't know if this is deliberate because management doesn't trust the motormen or if the system is just failing after all these years.

Most of the signal system was replaced within the last decade or so, because the electronic controls on the 5000s would cause radio interference. At least that's the excuse given why the test of chopper (solid state electronic) control failed on the 2400s.

The latest slow zone map shows a bunch of track slow zones north of Lawrence, even though track work was done there last year, so maybe the signal system is enforcing the 15 mph.

6/25/14 1:23a

Construction Alert For 6/25/14 @ 9a until 2p

• Service to 51st: Take a Harlem/Lake-bound train to 47th and transfer to a 63rd-bound train
  • Service from 51st: Take a 63rd-bound train to Garfield and transfer to a Harlem/Lake-bound train.

Blue Line Experiencing Delays; Boarding change between LaSalle and Racine Route(s): Blue Line Length: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 9:09 AM

to TBD

Impact Level:

Major Delays
icon_nopredictions_13x13.gifAffects Train Tracker prediction availability

(What's this?)

Full Description:

Service on the Blue Line is experiencing delays. Trains in both directions are operating on the same track between LaSalle and Racine stations due to a loss of power near LaSalle.

Board all trains on the O'Hare-bound side of the platform at all stations between LaSalle and Racine. We're working to restore normal service as quickly as possible. Allow extra travel time.

Bus shuttle service is in place to to provide connecting service between LaSalle and Western (Forest Park). In addition, consider using the #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #56 Milwaukee, #7 Harrison, #126 Jackson or the #12 Roosevelt buses as an alternatives to Blue Line service.

• Upvote 4

Blue Line Experiencing Delays; Boarding change between LaSalle and Racine Route(s): Blue Line Length: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 9:09 AM

to TBD

Impact Level:

Major Delays

(What's this?)

Full Description:

Service on the Blue Line is experiencing delays. Trains in both directions are operating on the same track between LaSalle and Racine stations due to a loss of power near LaSalle.

Board all trains on the O'Hare-bound side of the platform at all stations between LaSalle and Racine. We're working to restore normal service as quickly as possible. Allow extra travel time.

Bus shuttle service is in place to to provide connecting service between LaSalle and Western (Forest Park). In addition, consider using the #22 Clark, #36 Broadway, #56 Milwaukee, #7 Harrison, #126 Jackson or the #12 Roosevelt buses as an alternatives to Blue Line service.

Thanks. You just saved me. I completely forgot to update.

• Upvote 1

6/25/14 9:04p

Construction Alert For 6/26/14 @ 9a until 2p

I don't know the exact report (I saw it on WBBM Channel 2) but it looks like some sort of power problem happened at the Clinton/Congress Blue Line station. I will update this later on with more info.

to TBD

Impact Level:

Major Delays

(What's this?)

Full Description:

I heard of this delay a few days ago and was thinking to myself how I was glad ignored my impulse to ride the Blue Line over to the 22 instead of waiting out the slight delay on the 9. I just went ahead and waited the 25 minutes it was going to take the next Ashland bus was to come that morning, and rode the 9 up Irving and Clark and connected with the 22 there to get home like I normally do. If I had gone with the Blue Line to get to the 22, I would have been waiting a hideously long time like those Blue Line riders. With how things have been going these past few months between crashes, rail construction that's going to last at least four years, and different types of other delays, the poor riders of the Blue Line just can't seem to catch a break.

6/26/14 9:49p

Construction Alert For 6/27/14 @ 9a until 2p

6/28/14 1:52a

Construction Alert For 6/29/14 @ 6:30a until 7p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Fullerton and Sedgwick. Board/Exit all train on the Kimball-bound platform at Armitage.

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

6/28/14 10:03a

Construction Alert For 6/27/14 @ 10p until 6/29/14 @ 4a

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Racine and Jackson. Board/Exit all trains on the Forest Park-bound side of the platform at the UIC-Halsted, Clinton and LaSalle stations.

Note: On Saturday and Sunday, some trains will begin/end their trips at LaSalle, so listen carefully to train announcements.

Customer Alert: Clark/Division Station Clark St. Entrance Temporary Closure

Route(s): Red Line

Length: Monday, June 30, 2014 to until completion

Impact Level: Low

Alternative(s): The new LaSalle entrance will open at 5am. The existing Clark entrance will temporarily close at 10am. To enter or exit the Clark/Division station, use the new entrance/exit at LaSalle/Division, located one block west.

Why is service being changed?

The CTA are performing station construction to renovate the Clark/Division Red Line subway station.

6/30/14 1:48a

Construction Alert For 6/30/14 @ 9a until 2p

Customer Alert: Clark/Division Station Clark St. Entrance Temporary Closure

Route(s): Red Line

Length: Monday, June 30, 2014 to until completion

Impact Level: Low

Alternative(s): The new LaSalle entrance will open at 5am. The existing Clark entrance will temporarily close at 10am. To enter or exit the Clark/Division station, use the new entrance/exit at LaSalle/Division, located one block west.

Why is service being changed?

The CTA are performing station construction to renovate the Clark/Division Red Line subway station.

They're opening the LaSalle entrance now?? I thought that was later this year (or early 2015).

They're opening the LaSalle entrance now?? I thought that was later this year (or early 2015).

Initial CTA Press Release said "slated to be open in September 2014" for the LaSalle mezzanine, so it seems like it may be a couple of months ahead of schedule.

This is a CDOT project,* so (maybe fortunately) not under CTA's control. Some stories indicate that CDOT wanted to get Division St. open sooner.

________

*CDOT owns the subway because its predecessor built it when CRT was still private.