Pace Roster

BusHunter

6051 back at West along with 6067. 6323 still M.I.A..

Sort of interesting the W got back some of what it sent NW when NW got some of the Academy runs. However, like the situation at CTA, one wonders why some buses are not just meeting the crusher.*

*Cousin of Dick the Bruiser.

That was a NW bus. I've seen it on 606 before.

Interesting that despite new deliveries, the Orions aren't going anywhere (in terms of retirement). I guess we will have to wait until the CNGs come in earnest.

I have to say, out of my 11 years of riding them (Orion's), West have done a hell of a job maintaining them out of all garages. I enjoyed riding them especially on #747!!! :)

I don't know. That particular iteration of Orion bus is just an ugly model to me. I was flabbergasted really to see NW stocked with nothing but these after moving north. I'm glad to see NW has something to use now besides these for the first time in a few years.

I don't know. That particular iteration of Orion bus is just an ugly model to me. I was flabbergasted really to see NW stocked with nothing but these after moving north. I'm glad to see NW has something to use now besides these for the first time in a few years.

The combination of strange window arrangement, open engine vents and really oversized headsign add up to an ugly bus to me. The CTA 6400s were engineered on the same principle (i.e. to allow a low floor throughout) but were more streamlined; the biggest objection being the backwards seats. Apparently S unloaded their Orion VIs on NW because of the low seating capacity.

I don't know how mechanically they held up, but Pace having announced around 2000 that it got them because they were $10K less each than what they just got (2401 series NABI) isn't much of an endorsement.

I agree the Orions are certainly ugly buses. The last time I rode one was on the 250 Dempster, and for an old bus it ran very well. Considering that all NW had was those Orions , they have maintained them quite well. I would say that West learned how to put less wear and tear on them by using them during peak periods and letting them sit in the garage on the weekends. It certainly helps to have mostly NABIs and Eldorados. I can't say that West's Oirons are as well maintained as NWs and SWs buses though. Of course the zoo buses will be running on the weekends.

I agree the Orions are certainly ugly buses. The last time I rode one was on the 250 Dempster, and for an old bus it ran very well. Considering that all NW had was those Orions , they have maintained them quite well. I would say that West learned how to put less wear and tear on them by using them during peak periods and letting them sit in the garage on the weekends. It certainly helps to have mostly NABIs and Eldorados. I can't say that West's Oirons are as well maintained as NWs and SWs buses though. Of course the zoo buses will be running on the weekends.

They had some operated on weekends. I rode quite a few when I go visit my mother. I know everyone are entitled to their opinions but I have a disagree about Southwest maintaining them.

They had some operated on weekends. I rode quite a few when I go visit my mother. I know everyone are entitled to their opinions but I have a disagree about Southwest maintaining them.

Concur with Garmon. Lately, it looks like SW is just trying to keep the Orions afloat until they get whatever they end up with once they are retired. They seem to be keeping their El Dorados up very nicely though.

Concur with Garmon. Lately, it looks like SW is just trying to keep the Orions afloat until they get whatever they end up with once they are retired. They seem to be keeping their El Dorados up very nicely though.

I guess that depends. How many Eldorado Axxess buses will Pace deliver to NW this year?

When the CNG buses start appearing next year for South, will that be an exclusive delivery or will they be delivered concurrent with the diesel Eldorados going elsewhere? If the former, then its possible that SW will get NABIs from S, but more than likely, I think W gets those back and sends whatever Orions it doesn't retire SW. Thus SW becomes Pace's FG. If the latter, then I see NW continuing to get the Axxess buses and whatever is not retired at NW gets sent to SW, again making SW Pace's FG.

..again making SW Pace's FG.

Aside from whatever becomes the case, I bet SW has had the most Orion VIs for the least work, the only heavy routes being 379 and 381.

There probably isn't any reason to send any more Orion VIs to SW, unless to replace other dead ones.

I guess that depends. How many Eldorado Axxess buses will Pace deliver to NW this year?

When the CNG buses start appearing next year for South, will that be an exclusive delivery or will they be delivered concurrent with the diesel Eldorados going elsewhere? If the former, then its possible that SW will get NABIs from S, but more than likely, I think W gets those back and sends whatever Orions it doesn't retire SW. Thus SW becomes Pace's FG. If the latter, then I see NW continuing to get the Axxess buses and whatever is not retired at NW gets sent to SW, again making SW Pace's FG.

What a way to pick on West! Just kidding! :lol: I'm really unsure if that's possible for West to get the NABI's back even though they did get some back last year. Now the other NABI's 6162-6261 are unofficially at their life span (nearly 12-13 years old). That would be a gutsy move to transfer them to Southwest after the CNG's arrive. If they had an option to exercise another contract then that would've probably benefited Southwest. So far, Southwest is in the hot seat to figure out what to do next with bus management.

Aside from whatever becomes the case, I bet SW has had the most Orion VIs for the least work, the only heavy routes being 379 and 381.

There probably isn't any reason to send any more Orion VIs to SW, unless to replace other dead ones.

I see some operate #383 #384 (surprisingly) and #385.

What a way to pick on West! Just kidding! :lol: I'm really unsure if that's possible for West to get the NABI's back even though they did get some back last year. Now the other NABI's 6162-6261 are unofficially at their life span (nearly 12-13 years old). That would be a gutsy move to transfer them to Southwest after the CNG's arrive. If they had an option to exercise another contract then that would've probably benefited Southwest. So far, Southwest is in the hot seat to figure out what to do next with bus management.

The announcement that Pace was going to wrap the white NABIs indicates that they are not leaving soon. Certainly not before about 130 or so Orion VIs. Also, when the first Axess buses arrived at West, a number of blue NABIs went to South, but they are not going to stay there when South goes CNG.

The point is that until 2814-2825 showed up, all SW ran was essentially 6072-6110 on all routes (at one time, up to 6115). I might have forgotten 383 as a heavy route, but now having EZ Riders on 382, 384, and 385 indicates that those routes aren't too heavy.

I think you meant 386 instead of 385.

I have to say, out of my 11 years of riding them (Orion's), West have done a hell of a job maintaining them out of all garages. I enjoyed riding them especially on #747!!! :)

I agree some of them still rides like new to me, especially most of them from SW Garage. Some of the older NABIs from 2002-03 at South are a bit worn out, breaking down quite often, some drives worse than Orion VI.

Yeah I agree that SW hasn't maintained their Destination Signs very well on some of their Orion VIs, But I do not want to see NABIs on any SW Routes, I do got a feeling that it won't happen, NW probably will send their youngest Orion VIs to SW soon to phase out the older ones.

I don't know much about pace but so correct me if I'm wrong but as far as their bus service life, is it the same as cta length of 12 yrs or is it 15 cause it seems like the 1st set of Orion's they had were around for 20 lol.

The 12 years is an FTA requirement, and hence as a minimum applies across the country if federal money is used.*

It doesn't appear as though CTA or Pace comes close to 12 years; for instance CTA 6400s received in early 2001 are still around, so that's 14 years.

Only exception is that the 2500 series ElDorado Transmarks were rated by the federal government at 10 years and were gone pretty immediately. The impression of posters here was that the 2379 series of Nova Classics was also gone pretty quick.

But you are correct that some Orion Is (1993) did last about 20 years.The 1999 NABIs (2401s) sure didn't.

_______

*CTA said that they had to settle with the FTA with regard to the federal contribution for the NABIs, but I'm pretty sure that was done by saying that CTA has to pay the leases on 4000-4149.

• 3 weeks later...