More New Flyers

newport

any update on when the first delivery will happen?

The first DE60LFR should be coming mid to late November most likely once New Flyer puts the finishing touches on it and assigns a driver to bring it to Chicago. I am still going with the possibility that this unit will be numbered 4300 to keep it as flush as possible with units 4000-4207, which are also Hybrid artics. It might be assigned to just one artic-capable garage for it's first appearance here or be assigned to all artic-capable garages for a short period of time to "stretch it's legs".

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't yet. The DE60LFRs are only to 4332.

Numbering of the 67 diesel 60LFRs is still up in the air.

Ok, I forgot the D60LFR's... my bad. But I was right about the DE60LFR's being numbered 4300-4332 :D

I'm going to stick with my guns on the D60LFR's and say they'll either start with 7800 or 8000.

Which South Shop are they located at?

The only South Shops the CTA has, I'm guessing(which is across from 77th and Perry). You won't be able to get pictures though, as pace2322 said they were inside the building. The only ones able to get pics would be a CTA employee currently. T8H5307A and pace2322 are the only current CTA employees on this board, I can think of off the top of my head. CTA5750 was, but he is now a Chicago Firefighter and PACE Driver.

Any ideas of when the 4300's will enter service and complete deliveries?

According to the Press Release: "Delivery of the 100 articulated buses – a combination of 33 hybrid diesel-electric and 67 clean-diesel buses – is expected to begin late this year and continue through 2013. "

Now, if anyone has the NF order book...

I wonder if any were wrapped or painted for the Jeffery Jump? This would be a good opportunity to showcase them at a press conference on Monday when they start Jump. That's maybe why they are in hiding? This is the second time this week Pace2322's announced new buses. I guess there's nothing that can be hidden from him!! :lol:

...This is the second time this week Pace2322's announced new buses. I guess there's nothing that can be hidden from him!! :lol:

Besides that, with regard to both this and Pace, the indications were that the deliveries would start about Nov., 2012, and, strange as it may seem, it is November and there are sightings.:o :P

From what i have been told the 4300S will be going to 103rd for the J14 and some of 103rd 4000s may i say may go to Chicago Ave to start to replace some Novas..

So does that mean they are going to unwrap some 4000's as 4300's come in for the J14? And also will 103rd get its article numbers increased as well as some being sent to 77th?

Belmont needs the artics too... that or implement a A-B Belmont service where the 77A Belmont buses make all stops and go down Kimball to pick up half of Chicago at the Blue Line subway stop, and the 77B Belmont makes all stops on Belmont but doesn't go to the Blue Line subway... it just goes west on Belmont to Harlem or Cumberland and back to Lake Shore.

And why Chicago before 77th? They have the oldest Novas in the fleet as well as the newest

Because like I said before they are the new garage. 103rd gets new, 77th gets used. Obviously the old artic #4000's from 103rd will retire the Novas in part from 77th. Looks like from the stripping on the top part of the buses they may want to keep half the 103rd #4000's. The only part I don't understand is the statement about retiring Novas. If they retire them then where are the spares for the Ryan rehab? I still think there going into storage. That's what they have Archer garage for. :lol: As far as the #77 is concerned, if they do decide to share with Chicago in the next pick, then there is your artics.

Because like I said before they are the new garage. 103rd gets new, 77th gets used. Obviously the old artic #4000's from 103rd will retire the Novas in part from 77th. Looks like from the stripping on the top part of the buses they may want to keep half the 103rd #4000's. The only part I don't understand is the statement about retiring Novas. If they retire them then where are the spares for the Ryan rehab? I still think there going into storage. That's what they have Archer garage for. :lol: As far as the #77 is concerned, if they do decide to share with Chicago in the next pick, then there is your artics.

Except Chicago is getting old buses too (4000's). And if that was the case then why has 77th always gotten artics instead of Chicago until this point?

Belmont needs the artics too... that or implement a A-B Belmont service where the 77A Belmont buses make all stops and go down Kimball to pick up half of Chicago at the Blue Line subway stop, and the 77B Belmont makes all stops on Belmont but doesn't go to the Blue Line subway... it just goes west on Belmont to Harlem or Cumberland and back to Lake Shore.

Belmont can barely handle 40 footers, 60 foot buses would be too complicated to operate in certain areas along the route. The only way A/B service would work on Belmont is if the street was wider and had addtional lanes. Belmont is mostly a tight two way in each direction. Theres no way A/B bus service would work. In heavy traffic buses would be stuck behind one another which would defeat the purpose. Irving Park on the other hand would work well because its a wider street. Its a shame #X80 Express service was eliminated. It was working well. I still dont understand why CTA eliminated the #X21, X49, X55 and X80 routes. It was a stupid incompetent decision by CTA to do away with this service.

I still dont understand why CTA eliminated the #X21, X49, X55 and X80 routes. It was a stupid incompetent decision by CTA to do away with this service.

X21 was only a substitute while the Douglas L line was down weekends for rebuilding.

The others were basically the Feb.2010 cutbacks. We debated before whether it would have made more sense to cut the local instead of the X.