More New Flyers

newport

Hey what about Orion buses being bidders for cta? NYCTA have the newer version of the series and they havent had any problems with them, and not to mention Pace whose had them for a while as well, of course not the latest models but still had at least 3 differnt models datin back to the late 80's and early 90's. But you know what im pretty certain cta is just going to stick with New Flyer, as the old saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it". Cta is going to get the newer model NewFlyer 40 and 60ft buses on the purchase of the 425 buses im going to the bank on that too lol.

Hey what about Orion buses being bidders for cta? NYCTA have the newer version of the series and they havent had any problems with them, and not to mention Pace whose had them for a while as well, of course not the latest models but still had at least 3 differnt models datin back to the late 80's and early 90's. But you know what im pretty certain cta is just going to stick with New Flyer, as the old saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it". Cta is going to get the newer model NewFlyer 40 and 60ft buses on the purchase of the 425 buses im going to the bank on that too lol.

Actually, Orion has ceased accepting new orders and is winding down operations once its backlog of existing orders is fulfilled.

Oh yeah!, Why is that?

You might have missed this, but Daimler Buses North America (the owner of Orion since 2000) announced back on April 25 that it would exit the North American bus market. Only the imported Setra buses will continue to be imported (among the Daimler bus lines), but North American distribution will be taken over by MCI (Motor Coach Industries).

Is the CTA only going to do a complete overhaul on a portion of the 1,030 New Flyer D40LF buses? Looking at the procurement info for both...

For 1000-1629(Procurement)

Definite-Delivery Contract for all Labor and Material for Complete “Turnkey” Overhaul for Up to Six Hundred (600), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses, with a Minimum Overhaul Quantity of Three Hundred (300), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses.

For 1630-2029(Procurement)

Definite-Delivery Contract for all Labor and Material for Complete “Turnkey” Overhaul for up to Four Hundred Twenty-Nine(429), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses, with a Minimum Overhaul Quantity of Two Hundred Twenty-Five (225), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses.

If they only do the minimum overhauls, that means only 525 of the New Flyers will be overhauled, which is about 50% of the fleet. Will the percentage that isn't overhauled be retired by 2015-2016?

Is the CTA only going to do a complete overhaul on a portion of the 1,030 New Flyer D40LF buses? Looking at the procurement info for both...

Definite-Delivery Contract for all Labor and Material for Complete “Turnkey” Overhaul for Up to Six Hundred (600), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses, with a Minimum Overhaul Quantity of Three Hundred (300), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses.

Definite-Delivery Contract for all Labor and Material for Complete “Turnkey” Overhaul for up to Four Hundred Twenty-Nine(429), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses, with a Minimum Overhaul Quantity of Two Hundred Twenty-Five (225), 1000 Series New Flyer Buses.

If they only do the minimum overhauls, that means only 525 of the New Flyers will be overhauled, which is about 50% of the fleet. Will the percentage that isn't overhauled be retired by 2015-2016?

Technically no because right now 1600 series (1600-2035) is in better mechanical condition than 1000-1525 order. Well after asking some operators and seeing it around Chicago and 103rd the 1000 series are starting to breakdown a little more. This is mostly engine/hydraulic issues that cause most of the repairs. The 1600-2035 set will eventually need repairs but not as badly as the half of the series. Now that's just the common sense answer and the same answer I'm getting from the operators and a supervisor (I know they very rarely talk to outsiders but I have that nice eager charm that everyones likes ) lol

Just because CTA sets a minimum (of roughly half the fleet) and a maximum (the whole fleet), that doesn't mean CTA is planning to only do half.

It's similar to the RFP for new buses, where CTA sets a minimum and maximum quantity.

These sorts of contracts leave options open for CTA to change plans later and not be locked in. It gives them the guarantee of pricing for the whole fleet without having to rebid halfway through, yet enables them to do a smaller number if changing conditions (including funding situations) dictate that they only go through with a reduced amount.

When CTA ordered the buses, they didn't sign them all in one order either. They only placed a firm order for a couple hundred (I don't remember the exact numbers), and exercised several options over the course of a few years which brought the total order up to 1030 (or 1050, if you want to count the hybrids).

The 5000 series railcars were the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the destination signs, the ones that will ultimately be put into these and future CTA buses will come from Luminator (sold under either the Luminator or TwinVision brand name) now that TwinVision's parent company was bought out by Luminator's parent company this past June. As such, the new signs will likely combine the features of both brands.

Speaking of the destination signs, the ones that will ultimately be put into these and future CTA buses will come from Luminator (sold under either the Luminator or TwinVision brand name) now that TwinVision's parent company was bought out by Luminator's parent company this past June. As such, the new signs will likely combine the features of both brands.

That raises a valid issue. The Twinvisions (at least on 6709+) were able to show bold lower case letters, while the Liminators apparently were not.

Anyway, a reference from the Luminator site to the acquisition.

That raises a valid issue. The Twinvisions (at least on 6709+) were able to show bold lower case letters, while the Liminators apparently were not.

Anyway, a reference from the Luminator site to the acquisition.

Question. "Luminator Technology Group (LTG), parent company ....is pleased to announce that we have been selected to acquire the operating assets of DRI Corporation." What is meant by "selected"? Who might be the selector?

Question. "Luminator Technology Group (LTG), parent company ....is pleased to announce that we have been selected to acquire the operating assets of DRI Corporation." What is meant by "selected"? Who might be the selector?

"Selected", in this case, means "chosen". In any event, the deal was announced this past June and was completed in mid-July. The DRI brands are now all LTG brands.

"Selected", in this case, means "chosen". In any event, the deal was announced this past June and was completed in mid-July. The DRI brands are now all LTG brands.

Subchat had a reference to a press release from the private equity firm, which indicated (through even more corporate speak) that this was a global market move.

• 1 month later...

Looking spiffy! :)

8049593630_9c423d2bb9_t.jpg

I would guess the DE60LFR buses in this order will begin with 4300 and go to 4399 if there is only 100. The bigger order coming up will probably begin with

4400 for the DE60LFR, 7800, 7900 or 8000 for the D60LFR and 6000 for the D40LFR, presuming New Flyer is the winning bidder on that mixed 40' & 60' bus contract.

I would guess the DE60LFR buses in this order will begin with 4300 and go to 4399 if there is only 100. The bigger order coming up will probably begin with

4400 for the DE60LFR, 7800, 7900 or 8000 for the D60LFR and 6000 for the D40LFR, presuming New Flyer is the winning bidder on that mixed 40' & 60' bus contract.

I would think there would be two different sets of numbers for these buses. I think the hybrids would start at 4208 to continue what was already started. The clean diesels could have a different series altogether, maybe 8000,.though I suppose they could start at 7800 for the clean diesel artics.. My guess would be when the next set of 40' buses come, they would start with 2100.

The reason I believe in two separate series numbers is to differentiate between the hybrids and the clean diesels. It also appears CTA may consider sticking with clean diesels instead if hybrids.

I would think there would be two different sets of numbers for these buses. I think the hybrids would start at 4208 to continue what was already started. The clean diesels could have a different series altogether, maybe 8000,.though I suppose they could start at 7800 for the clean diesel artics.. My guess would be when the next set of 40' buses come, they would start with 2100.

The reason I believe in two separate series numbers is to differentiate between the hybrids and the clean diesels. It also appears CTA may consider sticking with clean diesels instead if hybrids.

There is, artthouwill. I am guessing these DE60LFR's that are being produced will start at 4300. The CTA typically starts the buses at XX00, with the exception being the Orion I's purchased from PACE(4915-4927) and the GM Fisbowls(701-755) also from PACE. The D60LF's are numbered from 4000-4207, so 4300-4399 would make sense for the D60LFR's. The TBD order of 40' and 60' buses could be split like this, presuming New Flyer is the winning bidder there...

Going back to 1983, when the Flyer D901A order for 175 buses wasn't numbered completely together, although it could've been, despite the fewer seats. Instead of 9800-9974 and 1600-1624, why not 9800-9999?

-4400 for the TBD order of DE60LFR, which would keep the clean diesel hybrid articulateds in the 4000 range

-7800, 7900 or 8000 for the TBD order of D60LFR. I don't think they'll use 5000, since it intertwines with the 5000-series "L" cars(although I don't get how, they're two seperate entities)

-6000 for the TBD order of D40LFR's.

There is, artthouwill. I am guessing these D60LFR's that are being produced will start at 4300. The CTA typically starts the buses at XX00, with the exception being the Orion I's purchased from PACE(4915-4927) and the GM Fisbowls(701-755) also from PACE. The D60LF's are numbered from 4000-4207, so 4300-4399 would make sense for the D60LFR's. The TBD order of 40' and 60' buses could be split like this, presuming New Flyer is the winning bidder there...

4400 for the TBD order of DE60LFR, which would keep the clean diesel hybrid articulateds in the 4000 range

7800, 7900 or 8000 for the TBD order of D60LFR. I don't think they'll use 5000, since it intertwines with the 5000-series "L" cars(although I don't get how, they're two seperate entities), so 6000 would be a good starting point for the TBD order of D40LFR's.

Probably not relevant until we actually see the buses.

However, the determinant will be if CTA considers this delivery distinguishable from previous ones. For instance, while the 4150s weren't compared to the 4000s, these probably are, so I would putting betting odds in your favor with regard to a new series. Update: I see that you fixed your prior message in bold, but you still seem to have D (diesel) and DE (diesel electric hybrid) confused.

However, one would have to figure in how much of a buffer would be needed between these 60DELFRs and 60DELFRs to be ordered on the currently pending requisition. I doubt that they have thought through that one yet.

As far as buses and L cars being separate entities, they once were. However,the determinant these days is the "asset tag" number, which actually is displayed inside Metra cars. Hence, each asset has its own number, although they can be recycled.

Were you close enough to see if the seats were the same as the 4150s? Well if you were the one who took the pic

Nope, that shot is as close as I could get, and that was taken using full zoom from the edge of the road. Yeah I could've probably run up to the fence and looked, but that's trespassing.

If I'm up that way again I'll be sure to stop by :)

Nope, that shot is as close as I could get, and that was taken using full zoom from the edge of the road. Yeah I could've probably run up to the fence and looked, but that's trespassing.

If I'm up that way again I'll be sure to stop by :)

Still a good shot. Way to get a preview of what's in the works :D