More New Flyers

newport

You probably won't see these buses hit the streets until some press conference by Forrest Claypool and/or Rahm Emanuel showing them off and explaining how green they are, spacious, some other b.s they always mention to the public.

More than likely true, but come to think about it, the predicted Jeffery Jump press conference didn't happen.

Why didn't it appear in the CTA in the news page Kevin has on the main page of the website? Everything CTA appears there, and Kevin most likely would amend his latest Chicagobus.org news section.

I didn't say they didn't unveil it (there was a Press Release), but that the dog and pony show one usually expects didn't get significant press.

Now if BusAngel says it did happen on the specified date, fine.

I didn't say they didn't unveil it (there was a Press Release), but that the dog and pony show one usually expects didn't get significant press.

Now if BusAngel says it did happen on the specified date, fine.

I think you're confusing what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the press conference or press release about the 4300's being in service. I know about the Jeffrey Jump because Kevin put it on his news page on the left of the topics. I was referring to news about the 4300's being introduced and going into service. When that happens, Kevin will put that up on his news page for sure, like he did when the 1000's, 500's, etc...

I think you're confusing what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the press conference or press release about the 4300's being in service. I know about the Jeffrey Jump because Kevin put it on his news page on the left of the topics. I was referring to news about the 4300's being introduced and going into service. When that happens, Kevin will put that up on his news page for sure, like he did when the 1000's, 500's, etc...

Actually I think you mistook Busjack's response after Busangel's mention of the Jeffery Jump press event as Busjack making a reference to a 4300 press mention when the train of thought was still Jeffery Jump.

Can someone please takes pictures of 4300-~ if you have the opportunity to. I also wonder what new livery Cta will use on the rebuilt #1000's. I have to say 1994 and 1272 are my favorite buses. Random thought :P

MVTARider already posted one (click the image to get into the flickr).

For that matter, there is an artist's conception on page 54 of the budget.

And, as MVTA's picture indicates, same livery as every other CTA bus at the moment.

I read the post and my point still is between the elimination of 144 and 145 and parts of the soon to be gone 144 getting folded into the 148 and the fact that North Park already has 100 plus artics, the lion's share could very well go to the south side even without counting the fact that something has to cover the Dan Ryan shuttles during the five months the south end of the Red Line is shutdown for reconstruction without affecting bus coverage on what's left of the Lake Shore express routes after CTA's ridiculous "Decrowding" Plan goes into effect in a month's time. And that's if we go on the assumption that what Customer service says in an email is correct and pace2322 was given wrong information by whomever it was he talked to that got info from those higher up in the garage assignment decision.

It could be possible for 4 garages to get the new artivs. The scenario I imagine would be for ,103,rd, K,& P to receive 11 hybrid artics and 77th receives the 67 clean diesel artics.

It could be possible for 4 garages to get the new artivs. The scenario I imagine would be for ,103,rd, K,& P to receive 11 hybrid artics and 77th receives the 67 clean diesel artics.

Heck if I know, but the tea leaves seem to indicate that the 33 go to the Jeffery Jump, and you take the wraps off what is there.

Heck if I know, but the tea leaves seem to indicate that the 33 go to the Jeffery Jump, and you take the wraps off what is there.

That seems like the logical choice. Knowing how cta likes to make sure older and newer equipment is disbursed all across the city somewhat evenly, it would seem likely for 103rd to get the 33 new buses for the Jeffery Jump and retain 33 of the older models for the 6, 15, 26, 28, and 29. In my opinion, after the Red Line Shutdown I see North Park expanding another 15 buses so the 22 could become an all artic route all the time instead of just some morning rush, nights and weekends. Kedzie could expand 3 more buses so the 12, 82, and random school trippers could operate more artics and since they will lose the 145. Lastly, the other 67 new buses could be split with Chicago taking 25 buses for some trips on the 20, 65, and 72 while 77th takes the remaining 42 for the 2, 3, 4, 79, and 87. In the far future, I can even see 77th taking more buses if they trade 2 or 3 routes to 74th in exchange for the 9 to allow some artics on that route. Same thing with Kedzie...if they trade 2 or 3 routes with another garage, they can gain control of the 49 and get some artics operating on it- although the 49 could operate out of Kedzie, North Park, or 77th because of its proximity to any of those garages. I just chose Kedzie because it is mid-route for the 49.

...In my opinion, after the Red Line Shutdown...

Which, of course, leaves the obvious question of what 100 buses cover the Red Line shuttle.

As I indicated before, it may be strange coincidence that 100 artics were ordered and 100 buses are going to be needed, but any growth is going to be on the south side, and presumably at 77th. There may be transfers of buses, but certainly no growth in other parts of the city.

I can also see 103rd going back to how it was right after the 2010 cuts in which a few artics would show up at the 95th Red Line Station to ease rush hour crowds on almost all of the routes there especially around the time school got out. Many routes out of 103rd pass plenty of schools.

That seems like the logical choice. Knowing how cta likes to make sure older and newer equipment is disbursed all across the city somewhat evenly, it would seem likely for 103rd to get the 33 new buses for the Jeffery Jump and retain 33 of the older models for the 6, 15, 26, 28, and 29. In my opinion, after the Red Line Shutdown I see North Park expanding another 15 buses so the 22 could become an all artic route all the time instead of just some morning rush, nights and weekends. Kedzie could expand 3 more buses so the 12, 82, and random school trippers could operate more artics and since they will lose the 145. Lastly, the other 67 new buses could be split with Chicago taking 25 buses for some trips on the 20, 65, and 72 while 77th takes the remaining 42 for the 2, 3, 4, 79, and 87. In the far future, I can even see 77th taking more buses if they trade 2 or 3 routes to 74th in exchange for the 9 to allow some artics on that route. Same thing with Kedzie...if they trade 2 or 3 routes with another garage, they can gain control of the 49 and get some artics operating on it- although the 49 could operate out of Kedzie, North Park, or 77th because of its proximity to any of those garages. I just chose Kedzie because it is mid-route for the 49.

It would be hard to trade the 9 from 74th because that's the closest garage for that route. Maybe Kedzie could take it if they sent the 8 to 77th in exchange for maybe the 35 and maybe even the revised version of the 1 Indiana/Hyde Park (should we even keep Hyde park in the route name anymore after December?)

It would be hard to trade the 9 from 74th because that's the closest garage for that route. Maybe Kedzie could take it if they sent the 8 to 77th in exchange for maybe the 35 and maybe even the revised version of the 1 Indiana/Hyde Park (should we even keep Hyde park in the route name anymore after December?)

I'd say not because it does not run along Hyde Park anymore.

I'd say not because it does not run along Hyde Park anymore.

And definitely not in the Hyde Park neighborhood for sure after mid December. It's been a stretch calling it that now since there had been the question of if 51st/Drexel could be considered part of Hyde Park.

Which, of course, leaves the obvious question of what 100 buses cover the Red Line shuttle.

As I indicated before, it may be strange coincidence that 100 artics were ordered and 100 buses are going to be needed, but any growth is going to be on the south side, and presumably at 77th. There may be transfers of buses, but certainly no growth in other parts of the city.

Which has been my point especially when it comes to North Park with that garage having been at fluctuating numbers above 100 artics for the past couple of years. Next month's de-crowding fiasco makes me question why it or Kedzie would need all that many more artics with 145 being axed from the North Side express line up and the yet to be answered question until mid-December of if 148 would still be as artic heavy with parts of the northern section of the soon to be axed 144 being folded into that route and 144 having not ever really used that many artics. The fact that the route would be routed on Clarendon still between Lawrence and Irving Park doesn't say much of if an artic would be more efficient since from having ridden the 135, which shares most of the revised 148 routing north of Irving Park/Lake Shore, in the AM rush I recall those artics on the 135 don't fill up to any form of crush loads until south of Irving Park when they pass the high rises on the Inner Drive. And 148's express zone will still start at Irving Park compared to 135's Belmont. As it stands, the current 148 routing is only artic heavy in the PM rush periods.

Plus the roof pods. The clean diesels A/C unit will most likely be much smaller in comparison.

Looking on flickr.com, I also saw clean diesel buses artics from New Flyer with the same roof caps as the hybrids. Go on flickr.com, type "New Flyer D60LFR," click "Search," and you'll see what I mean, especially when you look at the roof top of the buses.

Looking on flickr.com, I also saw clean diesel buses artics from New Flyer with the same roof caps as the hybrids. Go on flickr.com, type "New Flyer D60LFR," click "Search," and you'll see what I mean, especially when you look at the roof top of the buses.

The main question is what is behind the "roof skirts."

If you compare the pictures of the Seattle and CTA DE60LFRs with the DE--LFRs on New Flyer's website, the former have the skirts, while those on the NF site do not.