More New Flyers

newport

I Sent an Email to the CTA and they said that the buses will be sent to 103, 77, NP and Kedzie.

Like I previously said, articulated buses assigned to articulated-capable garages. That's Kedzie, North Park, 77th and 103rd. The other garages have yet to be upgraded to handle 60' bus capacity, either because the lot is too small, the lifts are too small, or both.

Like I previously said, articulated buses assigned to articulated-capable garages. That's Kedzie, North Park, 77th and 103rd. The other garages have yet to be upgraded to handle 60' bus capacity, either because the lot is too small, the lifts are too small, or both.

Is Chicago Garage artic-capable? I remember around the mid-90's that garage had some M.A.N. artics for #23 Washington Express while the Green Line was undergoing rehabilitation.

Is Chicago Garage artic-capable? I remember around the mid-90's that garage had some M.A.N. artics for #23 Washington Express while the Green Line was undergoing rehabilitation.

Except that those M.A.N. artics were only 55' long. The New Flyer artics are a full 60' long. Thus, garages that were designed to handle the 55' artics back in the 1990s now need major renovations just to handle the 60' artics. Chicago and 74th are two such garages.

The 7000's and 7100's were only 55' long. All the current articulated buses of today are 60' long. The only M.A.N buses we had that were 60' long were the used ones from Seattle. And those buses were only assigned to a few or all of the above mentioned garages... Kedzie, North Park, 77th &103rd. 5 feet doesn't seem like much, but it is.

The 7000's and 7100's were only 55' long. All the current articulated buses of today are 60' long. The only M.A.N buses we had that were 60' long were the used ones from Seattle. And those buses were only assigned to a few or all of the above mentioned garages... Kedzie, North Park, 77th &103rd. 5 feet doesn't seem like much, but it is.

Those I know. The 60' M.A.N. artics from Seattle were CTA's first 60' artics. Then NABI's. Now New Flyer. I think it would be very interesting to see artics come in/out of 77th again.

How soon do you guys think the 4300s go into service?

Well first, the CTA has to inspect and accept them, put them into their computer system(that is probably the purpose of those barcode numbers on the buses and railcars), then the buses have to be programmed with the route info of all CTA bus routes, get a farebox, get bustracker info, and then they can be placed in service. Also, the CTA may want to wait until a few more come in, seeing as how only 4301 & 4303 have been sighted.

Well first, the CTA has to inspect and accept them, put them into their computer system(that is probably the purpose of those barcode numbers on the buses and railcars), then the buses have to be programmed with the route info of all CTA bus routes, get a farebox, get bustracker info, and then they can be placed in service. Also, the CTA may want to wait until a few more come in, seeing as how only 4301 & 4303 have been sighted.

How long would that take about? A month?

True, but there were the reports that the garages were getting those very upgrades because of the fact that CTA is just about doubling its number of artics when you add in what artics that would be coming out of the up to 450 mixed order. So while Kedzie, North Park, 77th and 103rd may be listed as getting more artics for now out of this current 100 artics that are beginning to make their appearance starting with 4301 and 4303, don't count on those four being the only four artic based garages. And with the Dan Ryan Red Line project coming it's still probably safe to say that the south side garages possibly mainly 77th will see a larger share. Add in that 145 is getting the ax in a month and 144 is getting folded into the 148 at that same time, I don't see Kedzie getting as many. I really don't see North Park having all that much of a need with it currently having 100-plus artics assigned as well as the reason I gave for Kedzie. Another reason why I say while they may have responded in an email that the artics being delivered now will be spread among the four listed, I still see that leaning more to them going south than anywhere among the currently artic capable garages.

True, but there were the reports that the garages were getting those very upgrades because of the fact that CTA is just about doubling its number of artics when you add in what artics that would be coming out of the up to 450 mixed order. So while Kedzie, North Park, 77th and 103rd may be listed as getting more artics for now out of this current 100 artics that are beginning to make their appearance starting with 4301 and 4303, don't count on those four being the only four artic based garages.

According to the article here, the overhauls are expected to begin sometime in early 2013 and last until sometime in 2015, so it might take awhile for bus garages other then the ones above to become artic-capable(if these are city contractors especially... I've seen a lot of their work that just sits uncompleted for months at a time until they finally get around to completing it). These DE60LFR's 4300-4332 will be split in some extent to these garages, as will the D60LFR's which I surmise will begin with 7800 or 8000. As far as the mixed order of 40' and 60' buses, we don't even know yet what manufacturer has yet won that bid. Once that is announced, it will probably be a year before we see any new buses from that group(being a 2013 or 2014 model), I'm going to put the possibility of this number block of hybrid artics for that order starting at 4400. So yes, that order can be split into the other garages(provided they are completed when these orders start rolling in), perhaps all seven garages, as the 1000's will be starting their total rebuilds in 2013-2014, which will probably put those units removed for the rehab gone for several months since it is a rebuild from the frame up.

According to the article here, the overhauls are expected to begin sometime in early 2013 and last until sometime in 2015, so it might take awhile for bus garages other then the ones above to become artic-capable(if these are city contractors especially... I've seen a lot of their work that just sits uncompleted for months at a time until they finally get around to completing it). These DE60LFR's 4300-4332 will be split in some extent to these garages, as will the D60LFR's which I surmise will begin with 7800 or 8000. As far as the mixed order of 40' and 60' buses, we don't even know yet what manufacturer has yet won that bid. Once that is announced, it will probably be a year before we see any new buses from that group(being a 2013 or 2014 model), I'm going to put the possibility of this number block of hybrid artics for that order starting at 4400. So yes, that order can be split into the other garages(provided they are completed when these orders start rolling in), perhaps all seven garages, as the 1000's will be starting their total rebuilds in 2013-2014, which will probably put those units removed for the rehab gone for several months since it is a rebuild from the frame up.

Ummm pretty much what I was getting at but still doesn't change the overall slant of what I posted which is it doesn't change that Kedzie is losing the 145 in a month through that route being eliminated and we don't know until next month whether it will still be assigned part of the 148 runs with that route being pulled from Wilson and taking on northern portions of the 144. Which leads us to North Park losing the 144, which doesn't use very many artics if any. But it does still have over 100 out of the current artics in service and is already using artics on the busiest of its currently assigned routes. Which leads us to my estimation that the bulk of the next 100 going south. Even with the south Red Line slated to be completed the later part of 2013 it doesn't change that 77th especially still has routes that could have their crush loads eased with artics. As for the rebuild of the 1000s, there's still no evidence that those buses will see a rebuild more extensive than as happened with the 4400s and later the 6000s despite Emmanuel's flapping off that everything will be redone except the frames. So I would say buses missing out of that bunch would be no more noticeable than as we saw with the 4400 and 6000 rebuilds, as in no noticeable change in how buses get deployed on the routes out of the buses that would remain in service as the rebuilds are done.

Which leads us to my estimation that the bulk of the next 100 going south.

Well there is no certainty as to how many of the DE60LFR's and D60LFR's will be sent to the north artic-capable garages and the south artic-capable garages. It could be an even split of 25/garage or more to some garages and less to others. But according to the post here, all four garages will get some of these 100 mixed order of articulated buses.

Well there is no certainty as to how many of the DE60LFR's and D60LFR's will be sent to the north artic-capable garages and the south artic-capable garages. It could be an even split of 25/garage or more to some garages and less to others. But according to the post here, all four garages will get some of these 100 mixed order of articulated buses.

Except, if history is any guide, Customer Service [sic] probably doesn't have any idea, either.

Belmont can barely handle 40 footers, 60 foot buses would be too complicated to operate in certain areas along the route. The only way A/B service would work on Belmont is if the street was wider and had addtional lanes. Belmont is mostly a tight two way in each direction. Theres no way A/B bus service would work. In heavy traffic buses would be stuck behind one another which would defeat the purpose. Irving Park on the other hand would work well because its a wider street. Its a shame #X80 Express service was eliminated. It was working well. I still dont understand why CTA eliminated the #X21, X49, X55 and X80 routes. It was a stupid incompetent decision by CTA to do away with this service.

X54 was a big help too

Except, if history is any guide, Customer Service [sic] probably doesn't have any idea, either.

Plus, what was told to 5658 in the email contradicts what pace2322 says on here that #4000's are headed to Chicago garage. I don't think customer service can predict that far ahead. Although I'd be surprised if 77th doesn't get some artics for the decrowding effective mid December.

I read the post and my point still is between the elimination of 144 and 145 and parts of the soon to be gone 144 getting folded into the 148 and the fact that North Park already has 100 plus artics, the lion's share could very well go to the south side even without counting the fact that something has to cover the Dan Ryan shuttles during the five months the south end of the Red Line is shutdown for reconstruction without affecting bus coverage on what's left of the Lake Shore express routes after CTA's ridiculous "Decrowding" Plan goes into effect in a month's time. And that's if we go on the assumption that what Customer service says in an email is correct and pace2322 was given wrong information by whomever it was he talked to that got info from those higher up in the garage assignment decision.

Just saw #4300 coming out of the 77th garage this morning going into another lot.

You probably won't see these buses hit the streets until some press conference by Forrest Claypool and/or Rahm Emanuel showing them off and explaining how green they are, spacious, some other b.s they always mention to the public.