sw4400 Posted June 30, 2016 Report Posted June 30, 2016 9 minutes ago, BusHunter said: What Ventra topic? (and I don't know how to move quotes between topics either!! ) I've only been here 8 years, but I guess I'm a slow learner. Yeah, the latest gimmick I've come across is when your pass is going to expire, Pace tells you that the card expired early and you have insufficient funds. Like wth, what if I'm out somewhere and don't have change. I knock on busjack's door and say "please help someone" Use the "+" button on the post you want to quote from(you can do more than one with this button), @BusHunter. Then go to your topic for reply, and press the "Quote X Post" button in the lower right corner of the screen after you select the reply dialogue box at the bottom of the thread.. Quote
BusHunter Posted June 30, 2016 Report Posted June 30, 2016 3 minutes ago, sw4400 said: Use the "+" button on the post you want to quote from(you can do more than one with this button), @BusHunter. Then go to your topic for reply, and press the "Quote X Post" button in the lower right corner of the screen after you select the reply dialogue box at the bottom of the thread.. Hey what do you know it actually works!! Thanks SW, I just learned something. How are you guys doing the green box saying @BusHunter Hey wait I just learned that too!! That's good cause I don't always like to quote people especially when the post is long, don't be offended people if I don't always quote your posts. 1 Quote
sw4400 Posted June 30, 2016 Report Posted June 30, 2016 @garmon757, do you use the CTA & Pace frequently? I was just looking at what you mentioned about the $54 on the card. Wouldn't it be prudent if you use CTA on an almost daily basis to get a 7-Day Pass($28 for CTA only, $33 for CTA & Pace) or a 30-Day Pass for $100? I know fare is only $2.25, but it's piece of mind so you can get around with unlimited rides for a 7 or 30-Day period. Quote
BusHunter Posted June 30, 2016 Report Posted June 30, 2016 12 minutes ago, sw4400 said: @garmon757, do you use the CTA & Pace frequently? I was just looking at what you mentioned about the $54 on the card. Wouldn't it be prudent if you use CTA on an almost daily basis to get a 7-Day Pass($28 for CTA only, $33 for CTA & Pace) or a 30-Day Pass for $100? I know fare is only $2.25, but it's piece of mind so you can get around with unlimited rides for a 7 or 30-Day period. It's great for bushunting!! I'd go broke without a pass. It's handy too, when you want to see something you don't have to screw around with rules and regulations (2 hour transfers) You are god!! 1 Quote
garmon757 Posted June 30, 2016 Report Posted June 30, 2016 2 hours ago, sw4400 said: @garmon757, do you use the CTA & Pace frequently? I was just looking at what you mentioned about the $54 on the card. Wouldn't it be prudent if you use CTA on an almost daily basis to get a 7-Day Pass($28 for CTA only, $33 for CTA & Pace) or a 30-Day Pass for $100? I know fare is only $2.25, but it's piece of mind so you can get around with unlimited rides for a 7 or 30-Day period. I always use a 7-Day pass. The money I have on my card is for Pace (because I don't ride it that much except when I go visit my mother) and for saving (you can use the actual money on your Ventra card to purchase any pass and Metra tickets without using your debit/credit card). Quote
verive.m Posted July 2, 2016 Report Posted July 2, 2016 My roommate noticed this the other day. How would the app know that he transferred between Red and Brown at Fullerton? There's no farecard tapping involved in the transfer. Quote
Pace831 Posted July 3, 2016 Report Posted July 3, 2016 5 hours ago, verive.m said: My roommate noticed this the other day. How would the app know that he transferred between Red and Brown at Fullerton? There's no farecard tapping involved in the transfer. It was a "transfer" because it was within two hours of the first use at Diversey. Even if you have a pass, where transfer rules don't really matter, the system still distinguishes between the first use and transfers. He must have left the paid area and re-entered for that to appear. The time stamps are further evidence he left the station, since such a short trip shouldn't take that long. Furthermore, the Brown line also stops at Fullerton, so "Red" is only a way to classify the stations. This looks like two trips from Diversey to Fullerton and back. Quote
Busjack Posted July 3, 2016 Author Report Posted July 3, 2016 6 hours ago, verive.m said: My roommate noticed this the other day. How would the app know that he transferred between Red and Brown at Fullerton? There's no farecard tapping involved in the transfer. 1 hour ago, Pace831 said: It was a "transfer" because it was within two hours of the first use at Diversey. That doesn't answer the question. The question is why it racked up a transfer, if there was no farecard tap on the cross platform transfer. However, I don't think it was as verive's friend said either, as it usually doesn't take 1 hour and 31 minutes to get from Diversey to Fullerton. Also, since he or she is on a U Pass, it doesn't matter. Quote
Pace831 Posted July 3, 2016 Report Posted July 3, 2016 41 minutes ago, Busjack said: That doesn't answer the question. The question is why it racked up a transfer, if there was no farecard tap on the cross platform transfer. However, I don't think it was as verive's friend said either, as it usually doesn't take 1 hour and 31 minutes to get from Diversey to Fullerton. Also, since he or she is on a U Pass, it doesn't matter. If that doesn't answer the question then what does? To clarify, this is what I think happened. Verive's roommate took a trip on the Brown line from Diversey to Fullerton, then returned within two hours. For whatever reason, verive thought he made a cross platform transfer to the Red line, when in fact he left the station then tapped his card for the return trip. My previous post supports that theory, which seems to be the same as what you figured. Quote
Busjack Posted July 3, 2016 Author Report Posted July 3, 2016 33 minutes ago, Pace831 said: If that doesn't answer the question then what does? To clarify, this is what I think happened. Verive's roommate took a trip on the Brown line from Diversey to Fullerton, then returned within two hours. For whatever reason, verive thought he made a cross platform transfer to the Red line, when in fact he left the station then tapped his card for the return trip. My previous post supports that theory, which seems to be the same as what you figured. That's possible, but I don't think someone would take the train to go 4 blocks. But, in any event, verive would need to ask the roommate what happened, as a cross platform transfer doesn't seem like that, as we both seem to agree. Quote
verive.m Posted July 3, 2016 Report Posted July 3, 2016 2 hours ago, Pace831 said: If that doesn't answer the question then what does? To clarify, this is what I think happened. Verive's roommate took a trip on the Brown line from Diversey to Fullerton, then returned within two hours. For whatever reason, verive thought he made a cross platform transfer to the Red line, when in fact he left the station then tapped his card for the return trip. My previous post supports that theory, which seems to be the same as what you figured. That's indeed what happened - I was confused, as was he, as we didn't pay attention to the timestamps. I didn't realize that transfers had up to two hours, I thought it was closer to half an hour! 2 hours ago, Busjack said: That's possible, but I don't think someone would take the train to go 4 blocks. But, in any event, verive would need to ask the roommate what happened, as a cross platform transfer doesn't seem like that, as we both seem to agree. My roommate is very, very lazy at times. We both like to use the U-Pass for whatever we can get out of it 2 Quote
strictures Posted July 14, 2016 Report Posted July 14, 2016 It appears that Cubic has finally realized they're never going to find another sucker for the wretched Ventra technology & CTA will be the only system dumb enough to have bought it. Cubic has agreed to let Transport For London use the Oyster Card technology worldwide. TFL will get a licensing fee for any city that uses Oyster. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/london-contactless-oyster-card-replace-metrocard-article-1.2711096 Quote
Busjack Posted July 14, 2016 Author Report Posted July 14, 2016 38 minutes ago, strictures said: It appears that Cubic has finally realized they're never going to find another sucker for the wretched Ventra technology & CTA will be the only system dumb enough to have bought it. Cubic has agreed to let Transport For London use the Oyster Card technology worldwide. TFL will get a licensing fee for any city that uses Oyster. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/london-contactless-oyster-card-replace-metrocard-article-1.2711096 The article does not make clear what this brings to the table. Cubic's press release and the Daily News article indicate that it developed the Oyster Card, and the press release lists other cities that have Cubic technology. Note that Ventra is not a technology, but a trade name for the CTA-Cubic corroboration. The notable thing in your link is that NY "expects to retire the MetroCard by 2022." Contrast that to CTA saying its technology was unavailable in 2011, but maybe the issue is that MTA never went to something like Chicago Card. Quote
jajuan Posted October 18, 2016 Report Posted October 18, 2016 Yesterday's Tribune mentions that the Ventra app has reached the 1 million download threshold. It says that about $110 million in fares across the transit boards have been purchased since the November 2015 launch. Plus Metra's Executive Chairman/CEO Don Orseno says that the app now accounts for almost a quarter of Metra's ticket sales. Quote
artthouwill Posted September 20, 2017 Report Posted September 20, 2017 Recently I had to ride Metra from the western suburbs to downtown, thinking I could pay with my Ventra card. Just before the train arrived I found out Metra still can't accept Ventura cards on board. I had to download the Ventra App on my phone. First I entered my Ventura Card info to pay for a mobile ticket but it wouldn't take. I then entered a debit card to purchase a mobile ticket. I suppose to use the Ventura Card for payment on the Ventura App it must be set up as a debit card. Is that correct? I thought the law was supposed to make using Ventura on Metra as seamless as using it on CTA and Pace. Not. Quote
Busjack Posted September 20, 2017 Author Report Posted September 20, 2017 But, no, the only interaction is that transit value can be loaded into the app. Quote
MetroShadow Posted September 21, 2017 Report Posted September 21, 2017 Yeah. You have to pay fares from credit card to the app, not credit card to Ventra Card to tag on. They aren’t there yet. Quote
artthouwill Posted September 21, 2017 Report Posted September 21, 2017 Pretty ironic to have a Ventura App that you can't use a Ventura Card for. Metra could've done a mobile ticketing app otself if that's the case. I thought there was a law passed that required all 3 transit boards to use a system where a passenger could use a fare medium to pay for riders on all 3 systems. Quote
Busjack Posted September 21, 2017 Author Report Posted September 21, 2017 3 hours ago, artthouwill said: Pretty ironic to have a Ventura App that you can't use a Ventura Card for. Metra could've done a mobile ticketing app otself if that's the case. I thought there was a law passed that required all 3 transit boards to use a system where a passenger could use a fare medium to pay for riders on all 3 systems. There was, but nothing indicated that it had to be the Ventra card. If nothing else, the argument could be made that CTA is violating the law by not using the app and the near field communication (but that wouldn't hold up because the law was written after CTA implemented the system to force Metra to do something).. The only way a card would work is if the conductors had an electronic device to read the cards. As the Minneapolis example shows (although when last discussed, it was in connection with mag stripe cards) you would need a TVM to sell each zone of tickets, similar to what used to be on the ME, and in the Ventra case, encode on your account that you purchased a 1 ride or monthly from Zone F to Zone C (for instance, and all other combinations). Metra (based on NICTD technology) decided that your phone was your TVM, as well as a ticket. Ventra is just a brand or service mark, sort of like how Jewel Milk became Lucerne Dairy Farms and then Jewel Milk. Quote
busfan2847 Posted September 22, 2017 Report Posted September 22, 2017 On 9/20/2017 at 6:06 AM, artthouwill said: Recently I had to ride Metra from the western suburbs to downtown, thinking I could pay with my Ventra card. Just before the train arrived I found out Metra still can't accept Ventura cards on board. I had to download the Ventra App on my phone. First I entered my Ventura Card info to pay for a mobile ticket but it wouldn't take. I then entered a debit card to purchase a mobile ticket. I suppose to use the Ventura Card for payment on the Ventura App it must be set up as a debit card. Is that correct? I thought the law was supposed to make using Ventura on Metra as seamless as using it on CTA and Pace. Not. Ventra cards can be used to pay for Metra fares on the Ventra App from transit value. You do not need to have the Ventra card set up as a debit card. I have used mine several times. Quote
Busjack Posted September 22, 2017 Author Report Posted September 22, 2017 10 hours ago, busfan2847 said: Ventra cards can be used to pay for Metra fares on the Ventra App from transit value. You do not need to have the Ventra card set up as a debit card. I have used mine several times. True. BTW, as has been pointed out: The only value the Ventra app has on CTA and Pace is that you can see your account and add transit value just as on the website. The app has the additional benefit on Metra that you can use that transit value to generate a ticket, although it also takes a credit or debit card account number. It appears that while having a Ventra account is not mandatory, it is if you want to protect your ticket. The last thing anyone should do (and including after a psychiatric examination) is to use the debt card portion of the Ventra card. Metra only justified it as saying that it met the law that there be a universal fare medium, but that was to buy paper tickets. Anyway, Metra's explanation of how to use the app is here. A couple of other things that points out: Buy your ticket before you board the train, because there might not be a signal along the tracks (I find that pretty unlikely, because the towers are usually on ROW). (As someone else mentioned) The phone has to be charged for the conductor to see the ticket. Quote
artthouwill Posted September 22, 2017 Report Posted September 22, 2017 7 hours ago, Busjack said: True. BTW, as has been pointed out: The only value the Ventra app has on CTA and Pace is that you can see your account and add transit value just as on the website. The app has the additional benefit on Metra that you can use that transit value to generate a ticket, although it also takes a credit or debit card account number. It appears that while having a Ventra account is not mandatory, it is if you want to protect your ticket. The last thing anyone should do (and including after a psychiatric examination) is to use the debt card portion of the Ventra card. Metra only justified it as saying that it met the law that there be a universal fare medium, but that was to buy paper tickets. Anyway, Metra's explanation of how to use the app is here. A couple of other things that points out: Buy your ticket before you board the train, because there might not be a signal along the tracks (I find that pretty unlikely, because the towers are usually on ROW). (As someone else mentioned) The phone has to be charged for the conductor to see the ticket. I put the Ventura Card on the app with the intent of paying my fare with the Ventura Card but it didn't take. Perhaps that was because I had to create a second account because I couldn't remember my original info. I guess one card can't be on 2 email accounts Quote
Busjack Posted September 22, 2017 Author Report Posted September 22, 2017 On 9/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, artthouwill said: I put the Ventura Card on the app with the intent of paying my fare with the Ventura Card but it didn't take. Perhaps that was because I had to create a second account because I couldn't remember my original info. I guess one card can't be on 2 email accounts One, how about spelling it correctly? Two, you are correct that a card can only be registered once. I found it out when I got a senior card, opened a Ventra account, and then tried to register it to that account, and got the message that the card was already registered (I mentioned it before). A Ventra representative had to redo the registration process. If you don't recall the account name under which you originally registered the card, you'll have to call the Ventra representative, too. Quote
artthouwill Posted September 22, 2017 Report Posted September 22, 2017 8 minutes ago, Busjack said: One, how about spelling it correctly? Two, you are correct that a card can only be registered once. I found it out when I got a senior card, opened a Ventra account, and then tried to register it to that account, and got the message that the card was already registered (I mentioned it before). A Ventra representative had to redo the registration process. If you don't recall the account name under which you originally registered the card, you'll have to call the Ventra representative, too. Since the representative's number is 1.877.NOW.VENTRA, I hope you don't have problems keying it on your phone. My phone thinks it's smart. I type Ventra and sometimes it auto "corrects" to Ventura and I need to do a better proofing before hitting submit. Quote
Busjack Posted September 22, 2017 Author Report Posted September 22, 2017 19 hours ago, artthouwill said: My phone thinks it's smart. I type Ventra and sometimes it auto "corrects" to Ventura and I need to do a better proofing before hitting submit. I basically turned off all the autocomplete and autocorrect settings on my tablet. I'll let it make suggestions on the wrap on top of the keyboard, but not in the document. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.