Milwaukee County Transit System

What the hell is going on out there??? Wow!!!

At least what provoked the walkout (other than to get a 2 day head start on the holiday)?

Story from Channel 12 basically only had the county's side in the print, while the union represented itself in the video, if anyone can translate that.

• Upvote 1

At least what provoked the walkout (other than to get a 2 day head start on the holiday)?

Story from Channel 12 basically only had the county's side in the print, while the union represented itself in the video, if anyone can translate that.

It's about to be hell in Milwaukee point blank..... Failed to reach arbitration is one thing but putting an apprehensive burden towards riders is unacceptable and unprofessional. James Macon should be ashamed of himself but you think they care? Absolutely not! Ok, so what they're allegedly getting the short end of the stick but I guarantee you it's more what this idiot is saying that we can ever imagine. I'm utterly disappointed about this crap man.....

• Upvote 1

Not going to get back into the debate that not every nice transit toy in other cities necessarily works here in Chicago. But getting back to the relevant parts of the topic at hand, I heard about this through my phone's news alerts app that gives updates through my Google account based partially on subject areas I may have surfed through on the Net. From what I can figure out the stink came about based on the County's last offer before the talks hit a snag of giving the operators a pay increase but the operators would then in turn need to contribute more toward their healthcare benefits. That sticking point brought about the work stoppage. The most recent update I saw on this is that MCTS is giving riders free rides on July 6, if I remember that right, in their words as a thank you to the public for its patience during all this. I say it should be more accurately described as an apology to these people for leaving them stranded and/or scrambling to figure out how to make it between home and work or school after being caught in the middle of the county and union's labor dispute. But I digress......

• 2 months later...

What's the bus right next to 4407?

It looks like the commuter buses Houston Metro had in its fleet. They do have rear dest. signs. There were two other identical buses in the yard almost in drivable condition. 

• 6 months later...

At least two 44xx units, 4424 and 4438, are now part of the First Transit fleet for U of MN Twin Cites. 3333 looks like it could be from MCTS as well, however the mirrors and obviously fleet number don't mesh with the 44xx series:

26094401451_72e9677fed_t.jpg26068286112_c189c9cb01_t.jpg 25555986274_766f7e07e5_t.jpg 25063223813_ef4c6aabe1_t.jpg 

Also FWIW 4424 has ISC/ZF.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

These photos are from around a month ago now, but for those who may not have already seen photos elsewhere from the Bus History Association's 2016 Milwaukee region convention and transit properties tour, here are some I took during our visit to KK. Interior and exterior shots of an XD40, D40LFR, and one of the two oldest (at the time) remaining 2000 D40LF:

28237556521_e9015072f0_t.jpg 28316146725_004304bb64_t.jpg 28316151775_3deeb03ce2_t.jpg 27700399633_6ff9da6935_t.jpg 27700397503_bfef3b81e8_t.jpg 27700370433_eb8f1dfd83_t.jpg 28316171455_3de2db7039_t.jpg 28316163605_56d7c9ddfe_t.jpg

A big thanks of course goes to the Milwaukee area organizers, the garage supervisor, and all the mechanics there for letting us visit and setting up some of the buses for photos.

I got to say the MCTS fleet of Xcelsiors is looking pretty sharp! I like how they are doing the interiors now with a section of 2x1 seating for better circulation in the lower section.

On a side note: A few more photos of MCTS and from the Kinnickinnic visit are also posted in the MCTS: Vehicles set, and there are also a bunch of shots from other area transit systems we visited, Janesville, Beloit, Madison, Manitowoc, Waukesha, Green Bay, etc. in my photostream if interested.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Downtown Transit Center, such as it is (or ever was), closes permanently at the end of August.

Starting with the next pick, the few routes left that go there (12, 31, 33, and a couple of flyers) will have their downtown terminals changed.

Route 12 will end at the Amtrak station, route 31 will turn around right around 12th & Wisconsin (or maybe 10th, can't remember offhand), and the 33 will go over to roughly Prospect & Juneau.

The 44 and 79 will start at 6th & Kilbourn and loop around (similar to how the 49 operates), and I forget what the 137 is supposed to do.

This is all based on memory from the document I read.  If you want to look it up yourself, search the Milwaukee County Board committee on Transportation, Public Works & Transit minutes / reports archive for the July 2016 meeting, or wait a few weeks and the info will be on ridemcts.com.

On July 25, 2016 at 9:05 PM, See Tea Eh said:

The Downtown Transit Center, such as it is (or ever was), closes permanently at the end of August.

Starting with the next pick, the few routes left that go there (12, 31, 33, and a couple of flyers) will have their downtown terminals changed.

Route 12 will end at the Amtrak station, route 31 will turn around right around 12th & Wisconsin (or maybe 10th, can't remember offhand), and the 33 will go over to roughly Prospect & Juneau.

The 44 and 79 will start at 6th & Kilbourn and loop around (similar to how the 49 operates), and I forget what the 137 is supposed to do.

This is all based on memory from the document I read.  If you want to look it up yourself, search the Milwaukee County Board committee on Transportation, Public Works & Transit minutes / reports archive for the July 2016 meeting, or wait a few weeks and the info will be on ridemcts.com.

It's related to this project: http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cntyExecutive/Press_Releases/2016/4.4.16CountyExecutiveChrisAbeleAnnouncesMajorMilestoneinCoutureProject.pdf

On 8/6/2016 at 11:24 AM, andrethebusman said:

The Transit Center was in the wrong place to ever be anything but an off-street bus loop. A huge white elephant if there ever was one.

Water under the bridge now, but for years I wondered why they didn't try to make one at 5th & Wisconsin, across from the convention center.  IIRC, there's just a surface parking lot (and a parking garage next to it).  It would have been the perfect transfer point for routes through downtown, and pretty close to the train station.

The location they chose was never convenient for anything except people going to/from the festivals on local buses (because the festival flyers just run direct to the festival lot).

That said, I wonder what will become of the historic transit display upstairs, assuming it hasn't already been removed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So now Nova has a contract for 11 electric buses for the east west brt in milwaukee. Seems like they are getting all the contracts all of a sudden. Looks like it will use overhead chargers too. I wonder why no charging pads? Has there ever been novas in milwaukee before. They have always had new flyers no? 

1969252541_Screenshot_20210311-115351_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.862bd82e26095dc7b7e4f6d586beaece.jpg

Someone at Nova is a great salesperson.  Or maybe they learned from the Chinese by underbidding everything.  NewFlyerMCI dominates both transit and motorcoach, so Volvo has to do something so its Novabus and Prevost product lines can compete in the U.S. and Canada.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Someone at Nova is a great salesperson.  Or maybe they learned from the Chinese by underbidding everything.  NewFlyerMCI dominates both transit and motorcoach, so Volvo has to do something so its Novabus and Prevost product lines can compete in the U.S. and Canada.

If this keeps up New Flyer might have to switch models. Lol!! Was reading on the net that New Flyer was shut out of cities around the novabus plant (eastern Canada) That might make sense considering it's a French company and the east in canada is predominately french.  Someone was saying New Flyer is strong on the west coast. No novas out there. Might be cause they have no west coast plant at nova. They also claim the nfs are prone to rust. Maybe talking more about the older style bus. The xcelsior is mostly composite. But lots of people dont like the body roll on the xcelsior. Novas have the distinction of having slick floors when they are wet. Plus the AC really sucks bad!! But that's my opinion. I tell you mcts might get the novabus electric running before these proterras!! Lol!!

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

If this keeps up New Flyer might have to switch models. Lol!! Was reading on the net that New Flyer was shut out of cities around the novabus plant (eastern Canada) That might make sense considering it's a French company and the east in canada is predominately french.  Someone was saying New Flyer is strong on the west coast. No novas out there. Might be cause they have no west coast plant at nova. They also claim the nfs are prone to rust. Maybe talking more about the older style bus. The xcelsior is mostly composite. But lots of people dont like the body roll on the xcelsior. Novas have the distinction of having slick floors when they are wet. Plus the AC really sucks bad!! But that's my opinion. I tell you mcts might get the novabus electric running before these proterras!! Lol!!

But the Midwest seemed to be a New Flyers stronghold but Novabus is starting to creep into those markets.  The only zu.S. plant Nova has that I know of is in Plattsburgh. NY.  New Flyer is in Alabama and in St. Cloud,  MN.

The roll that you mentioned either is a byproduct of MCI manufacturing or could be related to the fins on the Xcelsiors.   It's funny, but when I drove MCIs, I never feared the roll.  I just didn't like the turning radius compared to O Prevost,  VanHool,  or even Eagle.  The GMC fishbowls and the TMC RTS buses had a body roll too.  You could see and feel it in turns. I guess it didn't bother me. 

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

But the Midwest seemed to be a New Flyers stronghold but Novabus is starting to creep into those markets.  The only zu.S. plant Nova has that I know of is in Plattsburgh. NY.  New Flyer is in Alabama and in St. Cloud,  MN.

The roll that you mentioned either is a byproduct of MCI manufacturing or could be related to the fins on the Xcelsiors.   It's funny, but when I drove MCIs, I never feared the roll.  I just didn't like the turning radius compared to O Prevost,  VanHool,  or even Eagle.  The GMC fishbowls and the TMC RTS buses had a body roll too.  You could see and feel it in turns. I guess it didn't bother me. 

Doesnt nf have that west coast plant that nabi formerly had? The corporate office at novabus is in canada. Assembly is in plattsburgh. The MTA has really stepped up orders of nova buses as of late. They had a 500 bus order and then they bought the artics. I can only think of mississauga in suburban toronto as a new flyer stronghold in the east. But then again how many novas are driving around Winnipeg or st cloud. The municipalities have a responsibility to secure tax dollars locally so if the company is not successful they lose. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Doesnt nf have that west coast plant that nabi formerly had? The corporate office at novabus is in canada. Assembly is in plattsburgh. The MTA has really stepped up orders of nova buses as of late. They had a 500 bus order and then they bought the artics. I can only think of mississauga in suburban toronto as a new flyer stronghold in the east. But then again how many novas are driving around Winnipeg or st cloud. The municipalities have a responsibility to secure tax dollars locally so if the company is not successful they lose. 

I don't know if NF has a west coast plant.  But I do know the state of NY has been encouraging Nova to expand Plattsburgh.   I think Prevost buses are also assembled there.  I don't think the state can legally endorse Nova, as byses being paid for with federal funds have to go out for competitive bid.  Byt MTA was a big purchaser of RTS buses,  and Novabus us in the state, so both the state and MTA HAS an interest in keeping jobs filled in Plattsburgh.   Obviously NF would raise a stink if Nova exclusively provides MTA byses, so they get bones thrown their way too