500's all out of service

andrethebusman

As of about March 1st, all 500's are out of service. Remaining ones at 103rd sitting on "rip track" with fareboxes and bike racks removed. Forest glen's remaining ones are against north fence, in same condition. Last use was probably on 111A-Pullman Shuttle last week of February.

A lot of us suspected as much was the case.

Since from what I remember of reports of them not being bought with federal dollars, no. They're only on the hook for the 12 year minimum when funds from the US Transportation Department are used. The 12 year standard is an FTA regulation.

So as I was pulling in last night from my route, I noticed the 500's that were parked along the wall are all gone. Where are they now I have no idea but just thought I'd inform you guys with the Optima's at 103rd. Im now curious about the ones at Forest Glen maybe one of you guys have the answer to that.

So as I was pulling in last night from my route, I noticed the 500's that were parked along the wall are all gone. Where are they now I have no idea but just thought I'd inform you guys with the Optima's at 103rd. Im now curious about the ones at Forest Glen maybe one of you guys have the answer to that.

Ok update to what I just wrote, apparently the optima's are officially retired just saw it on the roster theyre right on top of the retired list In case you all missed it like I did lol.

• 2 months later...

All NABI's are cleared from the back yard of the South Shop. Mostly all the Optimas are still there.

I had seen a bunch, basically on the 77th side near Perry.

I'm sure the question on those is whether they can sell them off, or if they are also to become scrap.

I had seen a bunch, basically on the 77th side near Perry.

I'm sure the question on those is whether they can sell them off, or if they are also to become scrap.

The twisted part about them is that most of them are in good shape. Hopefully, they can be useful for any transit agencies but it depends on the cost.

The twisted part about them is that most of them are in good shape. Hopefully, they can be useful for any transit agencies but it depends on the cost.

Considering the ringing "nonendorsements" posted here by most riders, I doubt that they are. It probably gets down to whether some dinky transit system or sheriff's department (ordinance selling them to Dart) wants a 6 year old abused bus on the cheap. My feeling is that the transit systems rather have a large cutaway (paratransit), but $1 may be cheap enough.

Considering the ringing "nonendorsements" posted here by most riders, I doubt that they are. It probably gets down to whether some dinky transit system or sheriff's department (ordinance selling them to Dart) wants a 6 year old abused bus on the cheap. My feeling is that the transit systems rather have a large cutaway (paratransit), but $1 may be cheap enough.

Hey, if that what it all takes to have them transitioned somewhere else then I'm cool with it.

If you mean in good shape compared to other buses CTA has retired, then I would agree. I certainly agree with 5750's assessment of most ridiculous equipment purchased and I won't miss them either.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't understand what was wrong with them. That's the only bus I never rode on.

Speaking from a operators point of view those buses were crap!! Lol I hated them as well as a gang of other operators who drove them too they were too bouncy and always had some type of problem with them passengers hated those optima's too lol. Whenever I got one outta sign out I gave the people who gave me that bus (only if we were short on 40fters of course) the dirtiest look lol. But you wernt missing out on a thing when it came to those optima buses trust me.

• Upvote 1

There's always a chance some transit system might consider looking at the 500s, but I suspect they'll go through the same scrap process that the 5300/6000s went through once those buses were pulled from service (as I recall the discussions, CTA wouldn't even consider selling those buses for any other reason other than to scrap them).

There's always a chance some transit system might consider looking at the 500s, but I suspect they'll go through the same scrap process that the 5300/6000s went through once those buses were pulled from service (as I recall the discussions, CTA wouldn't even consider selling those buses for any other reason other than to scrap them).

There were the few fire department ones and the like for 6000s, and of course, the 3 Fresh Moves ones. And they probably would be more analogous to the 5800s, which might have reached their service life, but compared to everything else on CTA up to that time, not by much.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the #500 Optimas continue in use. Looks like the Cook County Sheriffs Dept. took an exCTA Optima bus for their fleet. As I left the city fuel shops at Pershing Rd./Iron, east of Western ave. today, I spotted the Optima bus in a yard that stores CCS vehicles. The yard is east, adjacent to the city fuel site. The bus still has the CTA "wave" stripes but now wears "Sheriff" decals on it. Not sure what bus number it was. Couldn't get close enough for a pic.