7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I'm glad to inform you all that #8071 is the last bus to be in service while currently on #49 on behalf of 74th Garage. The 8000s roster is concluded as I wait until the 8100s start arriving at the shop.

​Now the question is will Chicago or Forest Glen get the 8100's? Forest Glen needs them more than Chicago they haven't any new buses since the last batch of the 6400's were put in service there. If they don't get 8100's then someone's gotta send them NF's. At one time they were assigned to FG but they were hand me downs and something's gotta give. More importantly who will be a head of CTA since Claypool will be Rahm's Chief of Staff.

• Upvote 3

​Now the question is will Chicago or Forest Glen get the 8100's? Forest Glen needs them more than Chicago they haven't any new buses since the last batch of the 6400's were put in service there. If they don't get 8100's then someone's gotta send them NF's. At one time they were assigned to FG but they were hand me downs and something's gotta give. More importantly who will be a head of CTA since Claypool will be Rahm's Chief of Staff.

​I heard it was a Chicago Transit Forum Member, so my thoughts turn to BusHunter and garmon as two leading candidates....:D

But in all seriousness, we'll find out in the coming weeks who is the next President of the CTA, I'm sure.

• Upvote 3

​I heard it was a Chicago Transit Forum Member, so my thoughts turn to BusHunter and garmon as two leading candidates....:D

But in all seriousness, we'll find out in the coming weeks who is the next President of the CTA, I'm sure.

​Busjack would probably be better at handling the admin and legal mess of FG, not to mention CTA itself :D

I'm glad to inform you all that #8071 is the last bus to be in service while currently on #49 on behalf of 74th Garage. The 8000s roster is concluded as I wait untiis Rahm's next best friend the 8100s start arriving at the shop.

What about #8072?

@sw4400: they probably wouldn't want me as pres because I would actually assign stuff fairly. As far as the real next pres you would just have to ask yourself "Who Is Rahm's next best friend?"

• Upvote 3

What about #8072?

@sw4400: they probably wouldn't want me as pres because I would actually assign stuff fairly. As far as the real next pres you would just have to ask yourself "Who Is Rahm's next best friend?"

#8072 is acting like #8013. It was in service this past week but I seriously thought you've mentioned it already.

​They could always pull a slick move on Chicago, and just give them #1000's. They should have the extra buses to spare them 80-100 more by the summer if they do intend to complete the #1000 rehabs then. It all depends on how much they don't want NF's at FG, but that's one way FG can stay all Nova and at least get some new/rehabbed equipment. Either that or it's going to be the reverse of what I just stated. Maybe now a garage can get new buses that actually needs them instead of replacing NF's at 77th or #6800's at 74th. Either the #6400's at Chicago need to go or the older pre 6709's at FG need to go, but they'll most likely both be gone by late summer.

#8072 is acting like #8013. It was in service this past week but I seriously thought you've mentioned it already.

​No I didn't have any idea it was in service. It must be a ghost bus. Now I can wonder what happened to #8091 and #8086. Both have disappeared and one hasn't been seen for 4 days and one for 3 days not counting the weekend.

I asked lady operate on Saturday out of 74th about the new NOVA and she does not  like it new NOVA bus because of the back door is too slow to closed and she said it take one minute to closed the back door.

​She would really like #6470. That bus has the slowest rear doors on the whole CTA. I was thinking how does anyone stay on schedule with that bus?

So, what are your thoughts of where 8100-8199 will end up, using the 100-100-100 setup?

• Forest Glen(100% 6400-Series fleet that is tiring quickly)
  • Chicago(81 6400-Series Novas on the roster and 164 1000-Series New Flyers that have or are getting rehabbed from the frame up, in some cases)
  • 103rd(no Novas here, but some have mentioned this garage).... could it be a surprise entrant???

I am actually torn on this one.... Forest Glen is in desperate need of something new with aged equipment that is breaking down frequently, yet Chicago only has 81 Novas with the best of them no doubt coming to Forest Glen to finish service life and the rest being retired if 8100-8199 are put here, but keeping Forest Glen on a spiral downward with equipment that can fail at anytime and be down for a lengthy period or for good, depending on the issue with the bus(es).

I'm actually 50/50 here.... half for Forest Glen, half for Chicago.... there's arguments for both that are valid here as to why they should get the possibly final 100 Novas* Your thoughts???

*= Based on the uncertainty of the 150 option being exercised with service cuts looming possibly next year, this would no doubt make CTA hesitant to exercise the option with rebuilt buses re-entering service.

• Upvote 1

​No I didn't have any idea it was in service. It must be a ghost bus. Now I can wonder what happened to #8091 and #8086. Both have disappeared and one hasn't been seen for 4 days and one for 3 days not counting the weekend.

#8086 is currently on 94.

So, what are your thoughts of where 8100-8199 will end up, using the 100-100-100 setup?

• Chicago(81 6400-Series Novas on the roster and 164 1000-Series New Flyers that have or are getting rehabbed from the frame up, in some cases)
  • 103rd(no Novas here, but some have mentioned this garage).... could it be a surprise entrant???

I am actually torn on this one.... Forest Glen is in desperate need of something new with aged equipment that is breaking down frequently, yet Chicago only has 81 Novas with the best of them no doubt coming to Forest Glen to finish service life and the rest being retired if 8100-8199 are put here, but keeping Forest Glen on a spiral downward with equipment that can fail at anytime and be down for a lengthy period or for good, depending on the issue with the bus(es).

I'm actually 50/50 here.... half for Forest Glen, half for Chicago.... there's arguments for both that are valid here as to why they should get the possibly final 100 Novas* Your thoughts???

*= Based on the uncertainty of the 150 option being exercised with service cuts looming possibly next year, this would no doubt make CTA hesitant to exercise the option with rebuilt buses re-entering service.

​FG should have priority if a garage gets 100 buses, but the 50-50 option seems to be the best option they could implement.

• Upvote 1

My thought FG should get all the last 100 Novas because the FG have the oldest Nova in the fleet and fail anytime.

Edited by ArcherRider

#8086 is currently on 94.

​FG should have priority if a garage gets 100 buses, but the 50-50 option seems to be the best option they could implement.

​I should've been a little more specific.... I actually was saying that I was half & half for Forest Glen or Chicago getting the last batch of 100 Novas, not 50 for one and 50 for another(though the idea does sound intriguing).

Sadly, I am leaning toward Chicago getting the final 100, and FG getting whatever 6400's are still operable enough to continue service from C. Then it'll be up to Rauner as to what FG will get in 2016.... will they have a chance to get the 150 option(if it gets exercised) or will some 1000's find their way there to retire the 6400's?

• Upvote 1

My thought FG should get all the last 100 Novas because the FG have the oldest Nova in the fleet and fail anytime.

​I agree with FG getting the next batch, The question is if Chicago does get them, they eventually will have to ship some New Flyers as well.

If they wanted to do this, then I think it would've been better for77th, 74th, C, and FG to have gotten 75 each.  Even with the current setup, if CTA exercises that 150 option and FG got them all (with Chicago getting 8100 - 8199), FG would still need 100+ buses 

​I should've been a little more specific.... I actually was saying that I was half & half for Forest Glen or Chicago getting the last batch of 100 Novas, not 50 for one and 50 for another(though the idea does sound intriguing).

Sadly, I am leaning toward Chicago getting the final 100, and FG getting whatever 6400's are still operable enough to continue service from C. Then it'll be up to Rauner as to what FG will get in 2016.... will they have a chance to get the 150 option(if it gets exercised) or will some 1000's find their way there to retire the 6400's?

​Sorry but it is NOT simply up Governor Rauner about CTA getting 8200-8349 because, putting aside that I'm not convinced he has any effect on that at all, he as the governor CAN'T pass a budget. Yes he can propose things he wishes to see in a budget, but only the legislature can actually pass budgets. Governors roles after that are either sign a budget into law or veto. And a veto he may not be able to do when Madigan and Cullerton still hold veto proof majorities in their chambers along with Rauner pissing off even his own party. Simply put Rauner gets no CTA cuts by himself. 

​Sorry but it is NOT simply up Governor Rauner about CTA getting 8200-8349 because, putting aside that I'm not convinced he has any effect on that at all, he as the governor CAN'T pass a budget. Yes he can propose things he wishes to see in a budget, but only the legislature can actually pass budgets. Governors roles after that are either sign a budget into law or veto. And a veto he may not be able to do when Madigan and Cullerton still hold veto proof majorities in their chambers along with Rauner pissing off even his own party. Simply put Rauner gets no CTA cuts by himself. 

​Only way that would be relevant if he wants to get into the realm of a "Governor Quinn's Illinois Jobs Now" bill, which had the State raising various taxes and fees dedicated to the capital fund. If nothing else, Rauner said he was in favor of infrastructure. That still would have nothing to do with the 2015-16 state budget.

This is essentially becoming scapegoating. Nobody is posting "what if Quinn won reelection and the state were broke" about anything. Also, in this context, I doubt that either Rauner or Claypool were making up the bus assignment tables.

​I should've been more specific... while Rauner can't make the cuts himself(that I agree with you on), I'm sure that the mere possibility that cuts can come if Rauner runs them by the Illinois legislature and they approve them, might be a strong reason that we haven't heard anything about CTA exercising the option for the 150 Novas. If the service cuts are forced due to approval of budget cuts by Rauner and Illinois House, I can see the CTA mothballing the remaining Novas(6400's) and maybe even the New Flyer DE40LF's(800's), but they have a current roster (minus the 6400's and 800's) of about 1,639 buses*(New Flyer DE60LF, DE60LFR, D60LFR, D40LF and Nova LFS(7900's) ). That should be enough buses for whatever service is still around after cuts are implemented. CTA will not mothball buses they just put millions into to rehab or millions into to buy. But even now, I'm sure they are putting together a service cuts scenario in case it is needed, this way they can determine manpower needed to operate said service and equipment required.

*=Some Buses have been retired

​I should've been more specific... while Rauner can't make the cuts himself(that I agree with you on), I'm sure that the mere possibility that cuts can come if Rauner runs them by the Illinois legislature and they approve them, might be a strong reason that we haven't heard anything about CTA exercising the option for the 150 Novas. If the service cuts are forced due to approval of budget cuts by Rauner and Illinois House, I can see the CTA mothballing the remaining Novas(6400's) and maybe even the New Flyer DE40LF's(800's), but they have a current roster (minus the 6400's and 800's) of about 1,639 buses*(New Flyer DE60LF, DE60LFR, D60LFR, D40LF and Nova LFS(7900's) ). That should be enough buses for whatever service is still around after cuts are implemented. CTA will not mothball buses they just put millions into to rehab or millions into to buy. But even now, I'm sure they are putting together a service cuts scenario in case it is needed, this way they can determine manpower needed to operate said service and equipment required.

*=Some Buses have been retired

​One flaw I see continually made is IF any cuts need to be made, and it's become an even bigger if since the time Rauner first said he wished to cut state money, those cuts would need to be done July 1 of THIS year because in part of how RTA divvies up money and approves budgets. CTA still needs something to run service THIS year, cuts or not. One way of the other they weren't looking to exercise the option until next year. And despite the Governor's bluster and cajones, from the way the mayor has been speaking CTA has the money for the option. Plus I just don't see 100 or more buses worth of service disappearing. So I still think folks are putting the cart before the horse about any effect Rauner has on 8200-8349, which I don't think he has any.

​One flaw I see continually made is IF any cuts need to be made, and it's become an even bigger if since the time Rauner first said he wished to cut state money, those cuts would need to be done July 1 of THIS year because in part of how RTA divvies up money and approves budgets. CTA still needs something to run service THIS year, cuts or not. One way of the other they weren't looking to exercise the option until next year. And despite the Governor's bluster and cajones, from the mayor has been speaking CTA has the money for the option. Plus I just don't see 100 or more buses worth of service disappearing. So I still think folks are putting the cart before the horse about any effect Rauner has on 8200-8349, which I don't think he has any.

​Rauner doesn't have an affect on the Nova bus option. This seems to be something CTA may be doing by choice to get more electric buses. Maybe CTA plans on mothballing 100 old novas by way of a service cut or rehabbed #1000's. But that would still leave 150 #6400's. If both happened, then they are only left with 50 #6400 buses. I don't really understand why they would do this, but it could have something to do with issues about the Nova buses they don't like. This so far is speculation, but if we don't hear that they exercised the option during the next 100 #8100 buses arrival, I don't think that it will happen. More #6400's are getting updated clever devices, I spotted #6574, #6712, #6792 with them and even spotted Chicago's #6462 with one. Now why would they do this on buses they plan to retire in a few months? Maybe because they are not being retired. There would only be 100 #6400's left to retire if they didn't exercise the #7900 option and some buses may be getting updated clever devices but some are not so far.

​One flaw I see continually made is IF any cuts need to be made, and it's become an even bigger if since the time Rauner first said he wished to cut state money, those cuts would need to be done July 1 of THIS year because in part of how RTA divvies up money and approves budgets. CTA still needs something to run service THIS year, cuts or not. One way of the other they weren't looking to exercise the option until next year. And despite the Governor's bluster and cajones, from the mayor has been speaking CTA has the money for the option. Plus I just don't see 100 or more buses worth of service disappearing. So I still think folks are putting the cart before the horse about any effect Rauner has on 8200-8349, which I don't think he has any.

I now understand sw's point, in that he is assuming a Rodriguez style cut, resulting in the retirement of 300 6000s and a garage with those service cuts. As jajuan and I have pointed out, that seems a bit remote at the moment, but, on the other hand CTA has not yet announced having exercised the option.

​Rauner doesn't have an affect on the Nova bus option. This seems to be something CTA may be doing by choice to get more electric buses. Maybe CTA plans on mothballing 100 old novas by way of a service cut or rehabbed #1000's. But that would still leave 150 #6400's. If both happened, then they are only left with 50 #6400 buses. I don't really understand why they would do this, but it could have something to do with issues about the Nova buses they don't like. This so far is speculation, but if we don't hear that they exercised the option during the next 100 #8100 buses arrival, I don't think that it will happen. More #6400's are getting updated clever devices, I spotted #6574, #6712, #6792 with them and even spotted Chicago's #6462 with one. Now why would they do this on buses they plan to retire in a few months? Maybe because they are not being retired. There would only be 100 #6400's left to retire if they didn't exercise the #7900 option and some buses may be getting updated clever devices but some are not so far.

​Similarly, I understand your point that there have been conflicting pronouncements about the replacement of the 150 buses. Again, there was the issue whether CTA was bsing the feds in the CMAQ application. On the other hand, CTA has not announced exercising the option.

Which reminds me: aren't we supposed to be receiving about 500 hybrid articulated buses by now?9_9:o

​The point is we don't know that they WILL do this. And giving some remaining 6400s updated CDs doesn't say that they will either when it's been established that much of the communications between the garages and control center and the buses. If CTA will have 6400s for at least the next year, it only makes sense that an operator at the wheel of a 6400 have the same ease of communication of one at the wheel of a 1000, 4000, 700, 800, 4300 or 7900.

​The point is we don't know that they WILL do this. And giving some remaining 6400s updated CDs doesn't say that they will either when it's been established that much of the communications between the garages and control center and the buses. If CTA will have 6400s for at least the next year, it only makes sense that an operator at the wheel of a 6400 have the same ease of communication of one at the wheel of a 1000, 4000, 700, 800, 4300 or 7900.

​But they don't and that is the point. Have you seen any #800's with updated CD's? Are you going to see #800's with updated CD's, probably not. If Rauner cuts the funding and he probably will how can they provide service? Maybe this also has an effect on whether CTA orders the option. If a miracle happens, no cuts, then the option will be ordered.  But like I said before federal money for capital expenses has never been the issue, it's the operating expenses that the state provides which are key here. So i would order the buses even if I had to sideline #1000's to do it. Better to have a nice small transit agency with modern equipment, than one that has old equipment and is small. Plus you are asking for older equipment to take an even higher demand and it's more likely to fail.

Edited by BusHunter