If I ran Transit for one day...

On 11/18/2016 at 2:15 AM, jajuan said:

establish

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think any of this makes sense. 

The 30 currently connects the Hegewisch neighborhood  in the southeastern most section of the city to shopping and businesses along Ewing and the South Chicago district around 91st and Commercial.  Hegewisch riders seeking to go downtown will use the South Shore

Thus the 30 and 100 swapping south terminals makes no sense.

As for the 95 and 100, there is sufficient ridership along 93rd between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn to justify the current routing.  Remember passengers living south of 93rd in that area do not have access to 95th due to the railroad tracks running along 94th.  Also there is little residential area south of 95th between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn that is served by the current 100th on 95th and the 4 and 115 on Cottage Grove. 

If I would do anything, I would return the 100 to it's original Jeffery Manor loop and restore the 106th routing back to the 106, even if only for rush hours only.

Yeah the 100 is honestly one of those buses that would've qualified for decrowdig cuts if it were up to me. All the riders are on 93rd and that far east people will opt for the 14 or 28 if they are going downtown 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think any of this makes sense. 

The 30 currently connects the Hegewisch neighborhood  in the southeastern most section of the city to shopping and businesses along Ewing and the South Chicago district around 91st and Commercial.  Hegewisch riders seeking to go downtown will use the South Shore

Thus the 30 and 100 swapping south terminals makes no sense.

As for the 95 and 100, there is sufficient ridership along 93rd between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn to justify the current routing.  Remember passengers living south of 93rd in that area do not have access to 95th due to the railroad tracks running along 94th.  Also there is little residential area south of 95th between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn that is served by the current 100th on 95th and the 4 and 115 on Cottage Grove. 

If I would do anything, I would return the 100 to it's original Jeffery Manor loop and restore the 106th routing back to the 106, even if only for rush hours only.

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah the 100 is honestly one of those buses that would've qualified for decrowdig cuts if it were up to me. All the riders are on 93rd and that far east people will opt for the 14 or 28 if they are going downtown 

Gotcha. My lines of reasoning were:

• $12.50 to get to Downtown or $11.80 to Hyde Park might be a bit cost prohibitive and the NICTD can be a bit infrequent, especially off-peak
    • As such, it'd be quicker to go to 95th as opposed to 69th
  • While the commercial corridor along Commercial would no longer be served,Lake Pointe Plaza would still be served & there would still be one accessible along 95th btwn Jeffery & Yates, complete with an ALDI. Furthermore, transfers could still be made to the J14, 15, 26, 71 & the proposed 30.
  • When I used to visit friends on that section of 93rd, I just walked from 95th st (if I was coming from that direction) if a 100 or 111 came before the 95E. My experience is not everyone else's, of course.

That said, thank you for the feedback. Where would I find old maps of the 100's & 106's original routings, the wayback machine had nothing for me?

56 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Where would I find old maps of the 100's & 106's original routings, the wayback machine had nothing for me?

Illinois Railway Museum has scans of old schedules on the irm-cta.org site. It isn't a complete collection, but there are some examples of the specific routes you asked about:

http://irm-cta.org/TT/TT.html

• 3 weeks later...

With the ongoing shortage of buses at Pace West for PM rush service, I wonder if there could be a plan to have other Pace garages or even CTA's K or C do fill ins?   I have been waiting in the cold as some buses never show up, sometimes two in a row don't show.  If Pace West knows they are going to be short, I would call K to see if they could send 2 buses to cover the 317 and I would use those buses to cover where my shortages are..  

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

With the ongoing shortage of buses at Pace West for PM rush service, I wonder if there could be a plan to have other Pace garages or even CTA's K or C do fill ins?   I have been waiting in the cold as some buses never show up, sometimes two in a row don't show.  If Pace West knows they are going to be short, I would call K to see if they could send 2 buses to cover the 317 and I would use those buses to cover where my shortages are..  

Maybe they should have garages under the same leadership instead of a separate union/division for each. Maybe that way they can just borrow on the spot like CAT but that's a LOOOOOT of miles. 

One thing this NW vs south side war has us over looking is, is the fleet allocation and assignment over all efficient enough as far as costs and maintenance? Let's look at garage practices, Chicago and 77th are both pretty heavy and split fleet wise between Nova and NF, shouldnt 77th be following Chicago as far as only Nova's on weekends? And with Nova's pulling the weight the newest flyers should traded to the all or mostly Flyer garages who is send the 1000-1400 range flyers to the garages that have Nova's (74th, Chicago, 77th)  so they stay in when demand doesn't require as many buses out; Kedzie, 103rd and NP would have the 1500's and up. As far as rail of course Blue and red should be 5000's, brown and orange 3200s, every where else 2600 but of course Howard running purple and yellow along with red messes that up along with blue line's power issues and isolation from the rest of the L. Heck if anything Blue Line needs either it's own Skokie shops or a better connection to Skokie that might allow easier moves to send and maintain it's fleet better

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

One thing this NW vs south side war has us over looking is, is the fleet allocation and assignment over all efficient enough as far as costs and maintenance? Let's look at garage practices, Chicago and 77th are both pretty heavy and split fleet wise between Nova and NF, shouldnt 77th be following Chicago as far as only Nova's on weekends? And with Nova's pulling the weight the newest flyers should traded to the all or mostly Flyer garages who is send the 1000-1400 range flyers to the garages that have Nova's (74th, Chicago, 77th)  so they stay in when demand doesn't require as many buses out; Kedzie, 103rd and NP would have the 1500's and up. As far as rail of course Blue and red should be 5000's, brown and orange 3200s, every where else 2600 but of course Howard running purple and yellow along with red messes that up along with blue line's power issues and isolation from the rest of the L. Heck if anything Blue Line needs either it's own Skokie shops or a better connection to Skokie that might allow easier moves to send and maintain it's fleet better

I feel you on that blue line one. Shame about the lack of space to build it there. Reminds me of DC, where the red line is isolated from the rest of the system, bar one connection to the green line. Issue that Brentwood Yard (DC's Skokie Shops) is on the red line, and the connection only allows southbound trains (read: trains coming from the suburbs) in from the green line to cross onto red line tracks. Getting trains Brentwood Yard is a logistical nightmare. Made me think about all the possible complications of switching cars off the blue line.

Having thought about, I wish Polk & IMD were closer to facilitate a transfer. 

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I feel you on that blue line one. Shame about the lack of space to build it there. Reminds me of DC, where the red line is isolated from the rest of the system, bar one connection to the green line. Issue that Brentwood Yard (DC's Skokie Shops) is on the red line, and the connection only allows southbound trains (read: trains coming from the suburbs) in from the green line to cross onto red line tracks. Getting trains Brentwood Yard is a logistical nightmare. Made me think about all the possible complications of switching cars off the blue line.

Having thought about, I wish Polk & IMD were closer to facilitate a transfer. 

I looked at a track map for the DC Metro. It looks like there is also a single track connector near the Farragut stations. It leaves the Red Line south of Farragut North and ends up on the Rosslyn bound track on the Blue Orange and Silver Lines. It’s called the A&C connector on the map. I don’t know if it has been dismantled or anything, but it also looks like it’s a bit disruptive to normal service if a train were to use it.

I’ve been on charter trains that have done the switch on and off the Blue Line. From my observations I think the main disruption is to the Pink Line. On trains transferring to the Blue Line, you just have to let the signals know you’re entering the Forest Park tracks. And if you need to switch directions, you can pull into Morgan Middle Track and get out of the way of road trains while you prepare to reverse direction. Transferring off of the Blue Line doesn’t really disrupt the Blue Line either since you just have to work the route selector at Racine to go up the ramp, but once you get up to the Pink Line there is no middle track to enter while you switch directions, so if you need to go to the Loop and Skokie, you’ll need to use the switches to get onto the Loop bound track. On the charters I’ve been on, they’ve had an operator at each end of the train to quickly turn the train around, but if you’re alone you better work fast.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

How?

Removing automated fare collection systems?

That does get me wondering, what line would be the easiest to implement a proof-of-payment, tap-on/tap-off, PAYG system? I figure a tap when you get on, tap when you get off to would be easiest to pilot on HC, but it might be easier to do at a constrained station with only 1 line like Randolph or LaSalle

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

That does get me wondering, what line would be the easiest to implement a proof-of-payment, tap-on/tap-off, PAYG system? I figure a tap when you get on, tap when you get off to would be easiest to pilot on HC, but it might be easier to do at a constrained station with only 1 line like Randolph or LaSalle

Ok, so maybe incorporate the CTA's Ventra card system

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this thread is still active, but here is what I would do. (in numerical order for convenience :P)

-9 Ashland: Extend north to Edgewater/Clark. (Rush?)
Ashland is close to Clark anyways, but some people might need to go north of Irving Park and want a one seat ride.

-11 Lincoln: Extend south to Clark/Lincoln Park Zoo to serve as an alternate to the Brown Line.
All the other lines have one, so why not? Between Western/Lawrence and Howard/McCormick is too short for my liking.

-12 Roosevelt: Add OWL service.
The owl service gaps are not very consistent.

-49 Western: Extend to Howard and ELIMINATE 49B.
This makes more sense considering Howard is the northern border and having an extra "north route" is pointless.

-51 51st: Extend east to Lake Park. 
Why just have it run to the Red Line?

-52 Kedzie/California: Extend north to Montrose or adjacent Brown Line station.
This route has always bothered me. Yes, it serves the schools in the area, but why not have it run all the way on California to serve the entire corridor?

-53 Pulaski: Extend north to Devon & south to Orange Line or 87th. Eliminate 53A.
Why not have it run all the way on Pulaski? South and North routes are unnecessary.

-54 Cicero: Extend north to Jefferson Park Blue Line & south to 87th. Eliminate 54B South Cicero.
This route NEEDS to go to JP. And it should run ALL the way to 87th.

-54A North Cicero/Skokie: Run from early morning to early evening. 
This route gets crowded! I think it should run more than AM/PM rush, since it stays within the city for a majority of the route, and it's one of the only CTA routes to serve Yellow Line stations beside Howard.

-56 Milwaukee: Extend north to Imlay.(Rush?)
This would give people in Gladstone Park a more convenient, one-seat ride past Jefferson Park station.

-57 Laramie: Extend north to Montrose  or adjacent Blue line station.
This route is painfully short.

-72 North: Add OWL service. 

-74 Fullerton: Extend to Nature Museum.

-81 Lawrence: Extend west to Cumberland. 
I think N,S,E,W routes are annoying. 
You don't see a South Ashland route do you?

-85 Central: Extend south to 54th/Cermak Pink Line station. 
This route should serve a little bit of Cicero, IL. 54 and 21 serve a good amount of the suburbs, so why not?

-86 Narragansett/Ridegland: Run 7 days a week.
This would serve Wright College and Taft well for weekend school activities.

-90 Harlem: Extend south to Harlem Blue Line. (Rush?) & extend north to Howard St.
This would be convenient for people who don't want to take 307 or ride the full loop of the Blue Line. Serve north of Higgins would serve Norwood/Edison Park and nearby Niles well!

-91 Austin: Extend south to serve 54th/Cermak Pink Line & extend north to Avondale/Gregory & Nagle.
This will better serve people who live west of the Pink Line! The street is wide enough for a bus north of Lawrence, this would better serve residents.

-92 Foster: Extend west to Cumberland Blue Line, and east to Foster Beach.
This could make commute around Norwood Park convenient, especially for Taft HS, and it NEEDS to go to the beach!

103: 103rd. Whole route on 103rd.
There's no need to split it. 

108 Halsted/95th: ELIMINATE. This is a complete duplication of service (8A.)

155 Devon: Extend west to Harlem or Central. (Rush?)
I think the route is too short between Kedzie and the Red Line. Extend it at least to Central to serve Edgebrook!

**NEW ROUTE IDEAS**

38 Ogden: Runs from Chicago/Michigan to 24th/Cicero. 
I think this street needs service.

-44 Racine: New route entirely on Racine from Madison to 87th or 95th. 

-83 83rd Street: Runs from Lake Shore to Kedzie or Pulaski.
83rd really needs a route. The gap between 79th and 87th is rather large.

-85B South Central: Runs from 54th/Cermak Pink Line station to 65th or Midway Orange Line. (Via Laramie/Ogden/Central vice versa)
I think the Southwest Side is forgotten at times. This would serve it well.

-NEW Blue Line station at Central.

-NEW Orange Line Station near Chinatown (Canal/Cermak) and another at California. 

-41 Elston/Clybourn: Run on Elston full time.

Yellow Line stations at Asbury, Dodge, McCormick, & Crawford. 
Why does the Yellow Line only have 2 stations? I get so it can run "express" but people in the Skokie area could use more.

3 hours ago, TransitQueen22 said:

I don't know if this thread is still active, but here is what I would do. (in numerical order for convenience :P)

Ashland is close to Clark anyways, but some people might need to go north of Irving Park and want a one seat ride.

-11 Lincoln: Extend south to Clark/Lincoln Park Zoo to serve as an alternate to the Brown Line.
All the other lines have one, so why not? Between Western/Lawrence and Howard/McCormick is too short for my liking.

This makes more sense considering Howard is the northern border and having an extra "north route" is pointless.

This route has always bothered me. Yes, it serves the schools in the area, but why not have it run all the way on California to serve the entire corridor?

-53 Pulaski: Extend north to Devon & south to Orange Line or 87th. Eliminate 53A.
Why not have it run all the way on Pulaski? South and North routes are unnecessary.

-54 Cicero: Extend north to Jefferson Park Blue Line & south to 87th. Eliminate 54B South Cicero.

This route gets crowded! I think it should run more than AM/PM rush, since it stays within the city for a majority of the route, and it's one of the only CTA routes to serve Yellow Line stations beside Howard.

This would give people in Gladstone Park a more convenient, one-seat ride past Jefferson Park station.

This route should serve a little bit of Cicero, IL. 54 and 21 serve a good amount of the suburbs, so why not?

-90 Harlem: Extend south to Harlem Blue Line. (Rush?) & extend north to Howard St.
This would be convenient for people who don't want to take 307 or ride the full loop of the Blue Line. Serve north of Higgins would serve Norwood/Edison Park and nearby Niles well!

-91 Austin: Extend south to serve 54th/Cermak Pink Line & extend north to Avondale/Gregory & Nagle.
This will better serve people who live west of the Pink Line! The street is wide enough for a bus north of Lawrence, this would better serve residents.

This could make commute around Norwood Park convenient, especially for Taft HS, and it NEEDS to go to the beach!

I think the route is too short between Kedzie and the Red Line. Extend it at least to Central to serve Edgebrook!

**NEW ROUTE IDEAS**

-85B South Central: Runs from 54th/Cermak Pink Line station to 65th or Midway Orange Line. (Via Laramie/Ogden/Central vice versa)

-NEW Orange Line Station near Chinatown (Canal/Cermak) and another at California. 

Why does the Yellow Line only have 2 stations? I get so it can run "express" but people in the Skokie area could use more.

The 11 Lincoln used to go there.

There used to be a 155A that went to Edgebrook.  Few riders. 

A Yellow station at McCormick?  Why?  There's no people there & building it over the Sanitary District treatment plant would be difficult to impossible, as the SDC owns the property.

4 hours ago, TransitQueen22 said:

**NEW ROUTE IDEAS**

Current Routes:

• 9) This wouldn't work as there isn't space for both the 9 & the 50 to layover
  • 11) I personally, am always in favor of restoring the 11 Lincoln, but CTA doesn't agree
  • 49/49B) They're separate routes because the 49 itself is long and Western from Lincoln to Howard doesn't require the same service frequency
  • 51) Becomes duplicative with the 15, who needs to go to 47th more than the 51 needs to go to Hyde Park
  • 52) Can't speak on this one, maybe just lack of need and/or no reliable terminus
  • 53) I've always been in favor of a Devon/Kedzie extension
  • 54/54B) These routes are separate probably because they don't need the same level of service. Pretty sure that would also send the on-time performance of the 54 careening. Although you do make me wonder how many people go from 54 to 54B and vice versa. 54 should definitely go to Jeff Pk, I've hated the Montrose terminal since I was a child
  • 54A) Pace 641 some time in the fall
  • 56) Duplicative of 270/Pulse and I can't imagine anyone riding downtown from north of Jeff Pk would take the 56 over the blue line on a regular day.
  • 57) Can't speak to this, sounds interesting, is there a need?
  • 74) Buses on Fullerton east of Halsted/Lincoln isn't feasible
  • 81/81W) Again, different frequencies of service
  • 85) That's Pace territory
  • 86) I'm certain the college alone won't be enough to justify running weekend service
  • 90) Would be duplicative of the 423 and there's no disadvantage to taking the 307 over the 90
  • 91) Runs into Pace territory
  • 92) Not sure there's a need for the Cumberland extension, but the beach part sounds nice
  • 103) I've been in favor of this for a while
  • 108) The 108 is a faster & direct alternative to the Red Line, otherwise known as the opposite of the 8A. That's why it only runs during rush hour.
  • 155) I believe @Busjack called it the Superdawg extension? Been talked about for years

New Routes:

• 38) See 11
  • 44) There might be an argument somewhere for the 44 going downtown, but not this way. It's on Wallace from 47th to 35th so it can serve passengers, something it won't be doing on the same scale if it stays on Racine
  • 83) I'd love an 83 route, but it would have to end at 87th/Damen or 87th/Western
  • 85B) See 85
  • 41) Elston/Bryn Mawr or Jeff Pk to Downtown is something I've been in favor of for a while.
  • Orange Line) Too close to Kedzie & Western and has no walkability.
  • Blue Line) Might be too close to Austin
  • Yellow Line) I think it's just fine as it and bus service is currently enough to supplement

4 hours ago, TransitQueen22 said:

**NEW ROUTE IDEAS**

Let's see. 

9 Ashland is close to Clark which is why its truncated at Irving Pk.  At that point,  ridership is light on Ashland and heavy on Clark.

11 Lincoln.  CTA had regular service on Lincoln going downtown.   It didn't work so it was cut to Clark/Wisconsin, then combined with the 37 Sedgwick.   The 37was restored as its own route and the 11 was cut back to the Western Brown Line.  After many complaints and petitions, the 11 saw weekday service restored to  Fullerton Red Line on a trial basis.  The ridership was not there and CTA cut the route back to Western Brown Line.

38 Ogden.  History has shown there is no ridership along Ogden.  The Pink Line is there at Cermak and Central Park and Ogden crosses many routes that already have one seat rides downtown.

44 Racine.  The street ends at 31st and doesn't start again until Cermak.  Also there was once a 23 Morgan/Racine route that was eliminated.

51 51st used to terminate at Drexel Square.  When the 1 Indiana/Hyde Park got reduced to Drexel Square,  the 51 was extended to 47th/Lake Park.  In 2003, the 51 was truncated to 47/Red Line and a new 15 Jeffery Local was instituted from 47/Red to 103rd/Stony.  This works best because there's little traffic on west 51st traveling to east 51st and vice versa.  The other reason is the 15 carries traffic in that east 51st area south.  It was the substitute for the 28 Story Island,  which used to run on 47th to the Red Line, but was rerouted to go downtown via Lake Shore Drive. 

53 Pulaski.  When the Orange Line first opened,  the route was extended to the Orange Line station and the 53A was truncated to the Orange Line station.  However this upset many people because those on the 53A list their one seat rides to jobs between the Stevenson Exp and 31st while there was little to no traffic on the 53 going past 31st.  Therefore the original routines were restored.

54A is being eliminated.  Discussion in Pace thread.

56 Milwaukee.  CTA eliminated the 56A for a reason.   No need to extend a route that serves downtown and endures heavy traffic further for little traffic.   The 270 handles that.

57 extensions not necessary.

74 Fullerton used to have a 74L that went from Fullerton Red to the Lincoln Park Zoo.  Traffic along Fullerton east of Halsted is horrendous.   It would ruin service on Fullerton. 

85 Central.and 85B  No one is riding south of Harrison into Cicero.  CTA is not responsible for suburban service. 

90 Harlem.   The Green Line is a perfect turnaround for the route.  Nothing exists like that at the Blue Line. Besides the 307 handles Harlem.   Once upon a time there was a 90N North Harlem and a  228 Harlem.  The 90N was eliminated and the 228 became the 423 which handles Harlem north of the Blue Line with EZ Ridera.  That should tell you something about the ridership north of the Blue Line.

92 Foster.  The 88 Higgins runs close to Foster.

103 103rd was one route until the Dan Ryan Line opened in 1969.  If the Red Line gets extended to 130th, 103rd will become one route again.

108 Halsted .  Most of the ridership south of 95th is going to the 95th Red Line.  Why do you think the 352 is the number one Pace route in terms of ridership?  There's enough traffic traveling north of 95th to justify the 8A. Besides that, rush hour ridership is too heavy for 352 to handle alone. 

Other notes.  I don't think California runs through to Lawrence because of the river.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TransitQueen22 said:

-

-

-

To your point concerning making Pulask one route.  Do you realize how long of a route that would be?  You are talking from Peterson (Devon if you had your way) to 115th Street. That is 21  plus miles ONE WAY!    

81 and 81W have different frequencies with the 81 having a higher frequency.

91 Austin.  The 315 serves Austin from the Green Line to  Morton College.   The original north terminal was Nagle and the 86 original Terminal was Jefferson Park.   The terminals for both routes were swapped. 

1 minute ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The revival of this thread made me remember an old question: Is there any benefit to short-turning some rush hour 6 trips at 67th/South Shore for better frequency along the Hyde Park section or is it not worth it?

The 6 used to have short turns at 63rd/Stony Island.   With the high frequency of the 67, I don't think the turnaround at 67th and South Shore can handle the 6.   You could do 67th and Stiny Island with buses turning north on Cornell and west on Marquette then north on Stony, laying over on Stony.

My personal preference would be to reroute the downtown portion of the 28 to match the 6.

11 minutes ago, indigofoundue74 said:

@NewFlyerMCI The Central Blue Line station was built, and then abandoned in 1973.
1200px-Abandoned_CTA_Central_station_2.j

I know about Central. Imo, it's been to keep Austin, as it's surrounded on all sides by neighborhood and the area Central would serve is not. Also, bus service near Central/Eisenhower is adequate as it (Central/Harrison is 5 mins to the north)

14 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The 6 used to have short turns at 63rd/Stony Island.   With the high frequency of the 67, I don't think the turnaround at 67th and South Shore can handle the 6.   You could do 67th and Stiny Island with buses turning north on Cornell and west on Marquette then north on Stony, laying over on Stony.

My personal preference would be to reroute the downtown portion of the 28 to match the 6.

Oh, that sounds nice! Personally, I'd just extend the 28 downtown permanently, since you'd have to go over to Cottage or Jeffery for downtown service outside of rush hour