TripleTransit1

If I ran Transit for one day...

On 11/18/2016 at 2:15 AM, jajuan said:

establish

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think any of this makes sense. 

The 30 currently connects the Hegewisch neighborhood  in the southeastern most section of the city to shopping and businesses along Ewing and the South Chicago district around 91st and Commercial.  Hegewisch riders seeking to go downtown will use the South Shore

Thus the 30 and 100 swapping south terminals makes no sense.

As for the 95 and 100, there is sufficient ridership along 93rd between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn to justify the current routing.  Remember passengers living south of 93rd in that area do not have access to 95th due to the railroad tracks running along 94th.  Also there is little residential area south of 95th between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn that is served by the current 100th on 95th and the 4 and 115 on Cottage Grove. 

If I would do anything, I would return the 100 to it's original Jeffery Manor loop and restore the 106th routing back to the 106, even if only for rush hours only.

Yeah the 100 is honestly one of those buses that would've qualified for decrowdig cuts if it were up to me. All the riders are on 93rd and that far east people will opt for the 14 or 28 if they are going downtown 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think any of this makes sense. 

The 30 currently connects the Hegewisch neighborhood  in the southeastern most section of the city to shopping and businesses along Ewing and the South Chicago district around 91st and Commercial.  Hegewisch riders seeking to go downtown will use the South Shore

Thus the 30 and 100 swapping south terminals makes no sense.

As for the 95 and 100, there is sufficient ridership along 93rd between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn to justify the current routing.  Remember passengers living south of 93rd in that area do not have access to 95th due to the railroad tracks running along 94th.  Also there is little residential area south of 95th between Cottage Grove and Woodlawn that is served by the current 100th on 95th and the 4 and 115 on Cottage Grove. 

If I would do anything, I would return the 100 to it's original Jeffery Manor loop and restore the 106th routing back to the 106, even if only for rush hours only.

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah the 100 is honestly one of those buses that would've qualified for decrowdig cuts if it were up to me. All the riders are on 93rd and that far east people will opt for the 14 or 28 if they are going downtown 

Gotcha. My lines of reasoning were:

• $12.50 to get to Downtown or $11.80 to Hyde Park might be a bit cost prohibitive and the NICTD can be a bit infrequent, especially off-peak
    • As such, it'd be quicker to go to 95th as opposed to 69th
  • While the commercial corridor along Commercial would no longer be served,Lake Pointe Plaza would still be served & there would still be one accessible along 95th btwn Jeffery & Yates, complete with an ALDI. Furthermore, transfers could still be made to the J14, 15, 26, 71 & the proposed 30.
  • When I used to visit friends on that section of 93rd, I just walked from 95th st (if I was coming from that direction) if a 100 or 111 came before the 95E. My experience is not everyone else's, of course.

That said, thank you for the feedback. Where would I find old maps of the 100's & 106's original routings, the wayback machine had nothing for me?

56 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Where would I find old maps of the 100's & 106's original routings, the wayback machine had nothing for me?

Illinois Railway Museum has scans of old schedules on the irm-cta.org site. It isn't a complete collection, but there are some examples of the specific routes you asked about:

http://irm-cta.org/TT/TT.html

With the ongoing shortage of buses at Pace West for PM rush service, I wonder if there could be a plan to have other Pace garages or even CTA's K or C do fill ins?   I have been waiting in the cold as some buses never show up, sometimes two in a row don't show.  If Pace West knows they are going to be short, I would call K to see if they could send 2 buses to cover the 317 and I would use those buses to cover where my shortages are..  

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

With the ongoing shortage of buses at Pace West for PM rush service, I wonder if there could be a plan to have other Pace garages or even CTA's K or C do fill ins?   I have been waiting in the cold as some buses never show up, sometimes two in a row don't show.  If Pace West knows they are going to be short, I would call K to see if they could send 2 buses to cover the 317 and I would use those buses to cover where my shortages are..  

Maybe they should have garages under the same leadership instead of a separate union/division for each. Maybe that way they can just borrow on the spot like CAT but that's a LOOOOOT of miles. 

30 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Maybe they should have garages under the same leadership instead of a separate union/division for each. Maybe that way they can just borrow on the spot like CAT but that's a LOOOOOT of miles. 

I know right?  Separate divisions and separate union rules if unionized.  

One thing this NW vs south side war has us over looking is, is the fleet allocation and assignment over all efficient enough as far as costs and maintenance? Let's look at garage practices, Chicago and 77th are both pretty heavy and split fleet wise between Nova and NF, shouldnt 77th be following Chicago as far as only Nova's on weekends? And with Nova's pulling the weight the newest flyers should traded to the all or mostly Flyer garages who is send the 1000-1400 range flyers to the garages that have Nova's (74th, Chicago, 77th)  so they stay in when demand doesn't require as many buses out; Kedzie, 103rd and NP would have the 1500's and up. As far as rail of course Blue and red should be 5000's, brown and orange 3200s, every where else 2600 but of course Howard running purple and yellow along with red messes that up along with blue line's power issues and isolation from the rest of the L. Heck if anything Blue Line needs either it's own Skokie shops or a better connection to Skokie that might allow easier moves to send and maintain it's fleet better

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

One thing this NW vs south side war has us over looking is, is the fleet allocation and assignment over all efficient enough as far as costs and maintenance? Let's look at garage practices, Chicago and 77th are both pretty heavy and split fleet wise between Nova and NF, shouldnt 77th be following Chicago as far as only Nova's on weekends? And with Nova's pulling the weight the newest flyers should traded to the all or mostly Flyer garages who is send the 1000-1400 range flyers to the garages that have Nova's (74th, Chicago, 77th)  so they stay in when demand doesn't require as many buses out; Kedzie, 103rd and NP would have the 1500's and up. As far as rail of course Blue and red should be 5000's, brown and orange 3200s, every where else 2600 but of course Howard running purple and yellow along with red messes that up along with blue line's power issues and isolation from the rest of the L. Heck if anything Blue Line needs either it's own Skokie shops or a better connection to Skokie that might allow easier moves to send and maintain it's fleet better

I feel you on that blue line one. Shame about the lack of space to build it there. Reminds me of DC, where the red line is isolated from the rest of the system, bar one connection to the green line. Issue that Brentwood Yard (DC's Skokie Shops) is on the red line, and the connection only allows southbound trains (read: trains coming from the suburbs) in from the green line to cross onto red line tracks. Getting trains Brentwood Yard is a logistical nightmare. Made me think about all the possible complications of switching cars off the blue line.

Having thought about, I wish Polk & IMD were closer to facilitate a transfer. 

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I feel you on that blue line one. Shame about the lack of space to build it there. Reminds me of DC, where the red line is isolated from the rest of the system, bar one connection to the green line. Issue that Brentwood Yard (DC's Skokie Shops) is on the red line, and the connection only allows southbound trains (read: trains coming from the suburbs) in from the green line to cross onto red line tracks. Getting trains Brentwood Yard is a logistical nightmare. Made me think about all the possible complications of switching cars off the blue line.

Having thought about, I wish Polk & IMD were closer to facilitate a transfer. 

I looked at a track map for the DC Metro. It looks like there is also a single track connector near the Farragut stations. It leaves the Red Line south of Farragut North and ends up on the Rosslyn bound track on the Blue Orange and Silver Lines. It’s called the A&C connector on the map. I don’t know if it has been dismantled or anything, but it also looks like it’s a bit disruptive to normal service if a train were to use it.

I’ve been on charter trains that have done the switch on and off the Blue Line. From my observations I think the main disruption is to the Pink Line. On trains transferring to the Blue Line, you just have to let the signals know you’re entering the Forest Park tracks. And if you need to switch directions, you can pull into Morgan Middle Track and get out of the way of road trains while you prepare to reverse direction. Transferring off of the Blue Line doesn’t really disrupt the Blue Line either since you just have to work the route selector at Racine to go up the ramp, but once you get up to the Pink Line there is no middle track to enter while you switch directions, so if you need to go to the Loop and Skokie, you’ll need to use the switches to get onto the Loop bound track. On the charters I’ve been on, they’ve had an operator at each end of the train to quickly turn the train around, but if you’re alone you better work fast.

49 minutes ago, cat1554 said:

If I DID run transit...

I would make all transit systems like Metra Electric.

How?

Removing automated fare collection systems?

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

How?

That does get me wondering, what line would be the easiest to implement a proof-of-payment, tap-on/tap-off, PAYG system? I figure a tap when you get on, tap when you get off to would be easiest to pilot on HC, but it might be easier to do at a constrained station with only 1 line like Randolph or LaSalle

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

That does get me wondering, what line would be the easiest to implement a proof-of-payment, tap-on/tap-off, PAYG system? I figure a tap when you get on, tap when you get off to would be easiest to pilot on HC, but it might be easier to do at a constrained station with only 1 line like Randolph or LaSalle

Ok, so maybe incorporate the CTA's Ventra card system

9 hours ago, Pace831 said:

How?

By making them fast, reliable and for the Electric District, on time (mostly).

Metra Electric is very on time

On 6/12/2019 at 5:42 PM, cat1554 said:

By making them fast, reliable and for the Electric District, on time (mostly).

Metra Electric is very on time

Except when it isn’t...

• Haha 1