CTA Accidents

garmon757

Working Pulaski on the weekends I've seen a lot of operators take the entrance turning into the station pretty slow due to the uneven terrain of the pavement from the terminal to the actual street. I myself hate the uneven part of that entrance because the suspension and shocks will rock the bus back and forth if you don't enter at the right angle and if you're not careful the power steering will lock up on you for a split if you go in there to fast. Hence the 3-5 mph speed limit were suppose to take going in there. The Nova's handle the turn a bit better than the Flyers do and the turn radius on a lot of these flyers aren't what they use to be. All in all I just hope my fellow co-worker is ok because two have 20 passengers on board at that time of the morning to take that kind of a turn then impact into the pole like that will cause whiplash and aches and pains. 

1304140277_Screenshot2023-09-20163227.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 163208.png

1014775228_Screenshot2023-09-20133401.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 133220.png

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Working Pulaski on the weekends I've seen a lot of operators take the entrance turning into the station pretty slow due to the uneven terrain of the pavement from the terminal to the actual street. I myself hate the uneven part of that entrance because the suspension and shocks will rock the bus back and forth if you don't enter at the right angle and if you're not careful the power steering will lock up on you for a split if you go in there to fast. Hence the 3-5 mph speed limit were suppose to take going in there. The Nova's handle the turn a bit better than the Flyers do and the turn radius on a lot of these flyers aren't what they use to be. All in all I just hope my fellow co-worker is ok because two have 20 passengers on board at that time of the morning to take that kind of a turn then impact into the pole like that will cause whiplash and aches and pains. 

1304140277_Screenshot2023-09-20163227.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 163208.png

1014775228_Screenshot2023-09-20133401.png

Screenshot 2023-09-20 133220.png

Could it have been a driver that was unfamiliar with the situation  there, either a rookie or a driver who rarely works that route by luck or transfer from another garage?  It seems amazing that CTA either was unaware or negligent concerning the conditions at the station.   From what I can see,  it looks like it's all on CTA property. 

36 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

... It seems amazing that CTA either was unaware or negligent concerning the conditions at the station.   From what I can see,  it looks like it's all on CTA property. 

It is, but the station has been there for 30 years, so it's difficult to say there is any inherent defect. The Law Dept. will eventually sort it out.

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Could it have been a driver that was unfamiliar with the situation  there, either a rookie or a driver who rarely works that route by luck or transfer from another garage?  It seems amazing that CTA either was unaware or negligent concerning the conditions at the station.   From what I can see,  it looks like it's all on CTA property. 

Everything you said could very likely be a possibility but one thing is for certain, Operators should never go into a terminal/station with a turn radius that is meant to be taken slow and easy to begin with.  Litigation will sort all of this out along with the HD (Hard Drive). It's a lose/lose situation because if the operator is at fault then we already know where that goes, if the equipment was defective prior the operator having the 10-71 and the operator was aware then that makes it even worse but if not and it was just a spare of the moment freakish accident then either way lawsuits will be in the future for CTA. 

13 hours ago, Busjack said:

It is, but the station has been there for 30 years, so it's difficult to say there is any inherent defect. The Law Dept. will eventually sort it out.

The station is maintained fairly well being 30 year-old now, all of the Orange line stations could use a slight overhaul which is a long ways away from now. I do agree with you though in part saying "The Law Dept. will eventually sort it out."

25 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

The station is maintained fairly well being 30 year-old now, all of the Orange line stations could use a slight overhaul which is a long ways away from now. I do agree with you though in part saying "The Law Dept. will eventually sort it out."

The only reason I mentioned the 30 years, was that if buses were hitting that support column on a regular basis, CTA would be on notice of a defect, but if this is the first time in 30 years, it wouldn't, and, as @artthouwill used the word "negligent," my thoughts tended in the direction that negligence involves notice. But not being in a position to come to a conclusion, we agreed that was for the Law Dept.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The only reason I mentioned the 30 years, was that if buses were hitting that support column on a regular basis, CTA would be on notice of a defect, but if this is the first time in 30 years, it wouldn't, and, as @artthouwill used the word "negligent," my thoughts tended in the direction that negligence involves notice. But not being in a position to come to a conclusion, we agreed that was for the Law Dept.

Oh I see, thank you for that clarification. ? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rhys Pate said:

The L car pair involved in the recent Yellow Line accident was 5599-5600. 5599 is severely damaged in the front, as it was the car in front (thus, it hit the snow machine). Do you think 5599 is fixable, or will 5599 will be retired? The Yellow Line is suspended until further notice due to the accident.

To repeat there is a topic on this specific accident, with more details, so why scatter the discussion all over the place?

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Car versus Bus never ends well..... Accident occurred at Damen and Washington.

414481526_1147998502838987_2335647095066393545_n.jpg

Sadly 1865 may get retired since it's already up in age & depends on the rust it don't look like it's damaged that back but can't see the other side 

13 hours ago, Busjack said:

Was it the one in this article? Looks like it.

Does anyone proofread anymore?  The article  claims that the accident happened in the 2200 black of West Washington,  but it also said the bus was traveling southbound on Damen when it was struck.  Either it was a typo or someone isn't familiar with Chicago. 

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Does anyone proofread anymore?  The article  claims that the accident happened in the 2200 black of West Washington,  but it also said the bus was traveling southbound on Damen when it was struck.  Either it was a typo or someone isn't familiar with Chicago. 

I saw that, but initially thought it was not worth comment.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:17 AM, Shannoncvpi said:

Sadly 1865 may get retired since it's already up in age & depends on the rust it don't look like it's damaged that back but can't see the other side 

Yep with 70% of the options 3 and 4 in the boneyard I doubt it comes back.

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2024 at 8:17 AM, Shannoncvpi said:

According to maths22 1865 is back in service from 3/24