CTA Accidents

garmon757

5 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

CTA should definitely consider working with CDOT to add traffic lights at terminals. I can only imagine that was one of the main reasons for discontinuing use of the Cicero & Archer terminal.

I think we discussed, in connection with the opening of the Belmont Blue Line bus area that it was technologically possible to install a signal with a preemption device (similar to that used on Pulse), but Chicago won't do it. All the yelling about red light cameras and hit and run indicates that too many Chicago drivers don"t adhere to the traffic laws.

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

CTA should definitely consider working with CDOT to add traffic lights at terminals. I can only imagine that was one of the main reasons for discontinuing use of the Cicero & Archer terminal.

*CDOT should work with CTA

Things like this and other items like bus lanes are where CDOT could really come in handy, but refuse to even pick up the ball, much less drop it

9 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

87th and Western is prime example of that not working along with 79th. No matter what you put there between the hours of 10 pm and 4 am you'll have reckless drivers out there doing God knows what when it comes to obeying any type of traffic laws. The last accident leaving the terminal before this one occurred at 87th and Western around 12 am. A car ran a red light going EB and struck a bus leaving the terminal. The most accident prone areas for CTA is intersections and garage exit points. I've seen so many close calls at 77th, NP and Kedzie over the years.

• Sad 2

On 6/5/2022 at 11:59 PM, YoungBusLover said:

87th and Western is prime example of that not working along with 79th. No matter what you put there between the hours of 10 pm and 4 am you'll have reckless drivers out there doing God knows what when it comes to obeying any type of traffic laws. The last accident leaving the terminal before this one occurred at 87th and Western around 12 am. A car ran a red light going EB and struck a bus leaving the terminal. The most accident prone areas for CTA is intersections and garage exit points. I've seen so many close calls at 77th, NP and Kedzie over the years.

I know when I use to be coming down Western from 95th to like 75th I use to be flying through there one time I was early & the speed cam flashed lets just say it wasnt coming back to me ????

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2022 at 11:59 PM, YoungBusLover said:

More than likely that CTA driver will be charged with a preventable accident because he failed to ensure that car didn't stop at the traffic light.  Just to be clear, preventable doesn't mean fault.  It means, as a defensive driver,  you failed to recognize a potential hazard and take the necessary and available steps that could have prevented the accident.  Now if that car was doing 70 mph then more than likely that. May not have been preventable.  As a Defensive Driver Instructor I have taught people to never assume the obvious.  Just because someone has a stop sign or red light doesn't mean it's okay for you to go.  You have to desire they are actually stopping before you proceed.  It only takes a few extra seconds.  I can't tell you how many accidents I avoided in my car and driving a bus by not taking off as soon as I had a Green or about to leave a stop sign.   

Unlike the 112th accident,  this one was close to an intersection with a traffic light.  So the driver still has to treat that pull-out like he's at the intersection.  Granted it's the car's fault and he should've been ticketed.   But the professional driver has to be aware at all times  

40 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

More than likely that CTA driver will be charged with a preventable accident because he failed to ensure that car didn't stop at the traffic light.  Just to be clear, preventable doesn't mean fault.  It means, as a defensive driver,  you failed to recognize a potential hazard and take the necessary and available steps that could have prevented the accident.  Now if that car was doing 70 mph then more than likely that. May not have been preventable.  As a Defensive Driver Instructor I have taught people to never assume the obvious.  Just because someone has a stop sign or red light doesn't mean it's okay for you to go.  You have to desire they are actually stopping before you proceed.  It only takes a few extra seconds.  I can't tell you how many accidents I avoided in my car and driving a bus by not taking off as soon as I had a Green or about to leave a stop sign.   

Unlike the 112th accident,  this one was close to an intersection with a traffic light.  So the driver still has to treat that pull-out like he's at the intersection.  Granted it's the car's fault and he should've been ticketed.   But the professional driver has to be aware at all times  

I understand where you're coming from but from my perspective coming out of that terminal many times around that time it's hard to predict if and when cars are going to come over that hill approaching the red light at Western. If we see a red light and no cars sitting there at the light were going to assume that it is safe to proceed. I can't predict if and when a knucklehead is going to run the light and simply semi T-Bone the side of the bus regardless of the "expect the unexpected" way of thinking.  

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I understand where you're coming from but from my perspective coming out of that terminal many times around that time it's hard to predict if and when cars are going to come over that hill approaching the red light at Western. If we see a red light and no cars sitting there at the light were going to assume that it is safe to proceed. I can't predict if and when a knucklehead is going to run the light and simply semi T-Bone the side of the bus regardless of the "expect the unexpected" way of thinking.  

I get that the turnarounds and pulliuts are difficult    Driving the bus is difficult vwxayse if the mentality of most car drivers.  They get stupid aggressive around buses. They speed up to not allow buses to merge, change lanes, pull out. Or turn.    You know.  You see it every day. Sometimes if you don't get aggressive and bully, you may never got in or out    

I do think traffic lights at some of these garage oukkiuts and some turnaround will help.  Obviously nothing is foolproof , but whatever can help i am for.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I get that the turnarounds and pulliuts are difficult    Driving the bus is difficult vwxayse if the mentality of most car drivers.  They get stupid aggressive around buses. They speed up to not allow buses to merge, change lanes, pull out. Or turn.    You know.  You see it every day. Sometimes if you don't get aggressive and bully, you may never got in or out    

I do think traffic lights at some of these garage oukkiuts and some turnaround will help.  Obviously nothing is foolproof , but whatever can help i am for.

They need those lights that activate when a fire truck is leaving or arriving at the fire house. This would be less necessary at say, Midway, but more useful at 95th, Jeff Pk, 79th/Western, etc. Especially 79th/Western, so the 349 can do 1L turns instead of 3R/2L turns  

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

They need those lights that activate when a fire truck is leaving or arriving at the fire house. This would be less necessary at say, Midway, but more useful at 95th, Jeff Pk, 79th/Western, etc. Especially 79th/Western, so the 349 can do 1L turns instead of 3R/2L turns  

At 79th, not necessarily an emergency light per se, but a regular traffic signal that's somewhat synchronized with the traffic light at the intersection would be a big help to all the routes sering the 79th and Western terminal.

Jefferson Park is unusual in that it has 2 entrances and 2 exits and none have traffic controls.   It's hard to come out of that terminal and turn left on Milwaukee.   Heck, it's difficult to turn right onto Milwaukee.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:52 AM, artthouwill said:

I always bully car like bro I'm bigger then you you will stop 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8409 was involved in a hut and run by a reckless pace Para transit operator while working the 71 this morning. The left side mirror was shattered but other than that the bus was fine. Guess they misjudged there clearance while trying to pass #8409.

It's back in service somehow

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8409 was involved in a hut and run by a reckless pace Para transit operator while working the 71 this morning. The left side mirror was shattered but other than that the bus was fine. Guess they misjudged there clearance while trying to pass #8409.

First accident involving a #8350

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Apparently the rear end of #8236 was clipped by a Metra train this evening near Norwood Park. 

IMG_8557.jpg

Here’s a closer shot from CBS, down to the boneyard it goes to join #7929, #8023, #8144 and #8229 awaiting LTH or possible retirement. The damage looks slightly heavy from the front being stomped pretty badly.

0D95A71E-2654-42D9-B0BF-A14A37A22CF3.png

B95388A8-D444-4F0B-AFFF-2289231B221E.png

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Apparently the rear end of #8236 was clipped by a Metra train this evening near Norwood Park. 

IMG_8557.jpg

Was it the rear end?  It looked like the front was hit.   I don't know if the bus was going NB or SB.    I assumed it was SB. However,  if the gates are down, Northwest Highway would have the Green light.  When the gate comes down, NB Nagle should have a few seconds of green to clear traffic from the tracks.  If both directions change at the same time,  it's possible for a bus to possibly stick out although I thought there's more than enough room for a bus to be able to clear the tracks in either direction.   I know NB Nagle is very heavy in the rush hour so with a signal change,  it's possible for a bus to get caught up the tracks.  A bus driver may have thought he had enough room to clear, but if a car is also crossing the tracks and jumps into the right lane, that one car could be the difference between clearance and having a part of the bus sticking out  and getting the rear end clipped.  

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Was it the rear end?  It looked like the front was hit.   I don't know if the bus was going NB or SB.    I assumed it was SB. However,  if the gates are down, Northwest Highway would have the Green light.  When the gate comes down, NB Nagle should have a few seconds of green to clear traffic from the tracks.  If both directions change at the same time,  it's possible for a bus to possibly stick out although I thought there's more than enough room for a bus to be able to clear the tracks in either direction.   I know NB Nagle is very heavy in the rush hour so with a signal change,  it's possible for a bus to get caught up the tracks.  A bus driver may have thought he had enough room to clear, but if a car is also crossing the tracks and jumps into the right lane, that one car could be the difference between clearance and having a part of the bus sticking out  and getting the rear end clipped.  

Yeah the reports along with the photo I saw were scattered at the time so I assumed the rear may have been clipped but after several hours have passed that wasn't the case. I've been near that intersection/crossing several times and usually it isn't impossible for a bus to get stuck there let alone have the gates come down on it at times. I remember something dealing with the crossing gates coming down on a bus working the #86 this past summer luckily there was no train coming at the time and the bus only had a minor damage. 

12 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Here’s a closer shot from CBS, down to the boneyard it goes to join #7929, #8023, #8144 and #8229 awaiting LTH or possible retirement. The damage looks slightly heavy from the front being stomped pretty badly.

0D95A71E-2654-42D9-B0BF-A14A37A22CF3.png

B95388A8-D444-4F0B-AFFF-2289231B221E.png

Dam 8236 may possibly be retired now along with the other novas still crazy how 7929 8023 & 8229 still out & haven't been fixed yet but since they been out this long I'm just gone say they are retired but we most def know 8144 is retired

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah the reports along with the photo I saw were scattered at the time so I assumed the rear may have been clipped but after several hours have passed that wasn't the case. I've been near that intersection/crossing several times and usually it isn't impossible for a bus to get stuck there let alone have the gates come down on it at times. I remember something dealing with the crossing gates coming down on a bus working the #86 this past summer luckily there was no train coming at the time and the bus only had a minor damage. 

I thought that was the case as well, It only appears that the right side at the front was clipped real bad. This kind of reminds me of when #1088 collided with one of the el dorados pace has but somehow returned to service I know the el dorado was retired after that I forgot what number.