2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

In which I'm deeply disappointed about that. I know it's a farewell event but damn, at least have the classic roll signs to make it an extraordinary day to remember. Also, it would've been nice if they had the classic "peanut butter' colored seats. :)

On the 2200s last trip they looked like roll signs, but the media said they were just flat signs printed up for the occasion. sw's pictures sure look like flat signs. At least they matched those on the pictures of the test cars around 1976.

Just hit the more reply options, pan down to where it says attach files, click on the box that says choose files and upload from wherever you have them on your hard drive.

BTW, Graham Garfield was giving us the play by play coming back from 63rd, when we passed Cermak-Mccormick Place he said it would open in a few weeks. They do now have train tracker signs on the platform and that's an indication there close to finished.

Thanks BusHunter.

I was waiting for the Ashland/63-Howard run in the afternoon, in Roosevelt station. It looks like they were having trouble getting the switch points lined up to allow the train to come in from the 13th St incline instead of the "normal" Red Line track. I watched them fumble with it for a while, ultimately let a delayed 5000-series into the station, and while the 5000-series was in the station they got them lined up. Anyone know what was going on here?

I would also like to congratulate the restoration crew at Skokie and everyone at cta involved with the trip. The cars looked wonderful with the striping and the old adverts and old route cards added to the experience.

We were only 25 minutes down after the tagging incident at Kimball and it gave those of us on the trip additional opportunities to get photographs of the train!

post-93-0-99173200-1421946241_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-80492200-1421946252_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-27221600-1421946261_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-21443700-1421946271_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

In which I'm deeply disappointed about that. I know it's a farewell event but damn, at least have the classic roll signs to make it an extraordinary day to remember. Also, it would've been nice if they had the classic "peanut butter' colored seats. :)

I slightly misread this one the last time, but anyway....

On the 2200s last trip they looked like roll signs, but the media said they were just flat signs printed up for the occasion. sw's pictures sure look like flat signs. At least they matched those on the pictures of the test cars around 1976.

Since ibebobo got me to look back at Kevin's pictures, it is pretty obvious that the insides of the sign boxes reflect the current roll signs (Loop and Howard). If it had been the original roll signs (or a replica thereof) they would have been Ravenswood and A Englewood Howard. I also assume that the only thing displayed on the outside of the cars was the CTA The Spirit of Chicago sign and not Loop or Howard, although people can clarify that.

IMO, I would have keep the car numbers in the windows, as originally delivered, but it seems like CTA didn't want to stick with that, or much else involved in the original styling.

Since ibebobo got me to look back at Kevin's pictures, it is pretty obvious that the insides of the sign boxes reflect the current roll signs (Loop and Howard). If it had been the original roll signs (or a replica thereof) they would have been Ravenswood and A Englewood Howard. I also assume that the only thing displayed on the outside of the cars was the CTA The Spirit of Chicago sign and not Loop or Howard, although people can clarify that.

IMO, I would have keep the car numbers in the windows, as originally delivered, but it seems like CTA didn't want to stick with that, or much else involved in the original styling.

All of the sign boxes had "CTA Spirit of Chicago" stickers over them.

Or they were too cheap to bring back history fully.

AAARRRGGHH, you people are killing me! <_< I wanted so bad to go to this and couldn't. A few days back, I fell and landed in my knee. I couldn't hardly walk around my house, much less go to this. However, as usual, there are lots of great pics and commentary. I really appreciative everyone's efforts and time. Is there video anywhere?

Or they were too cheap to bring back history fully.

I'm sure it is whatever Garfield could get on his trip down the hall to the print shop.

If you want to talk authentic history, I suppose one could question whether his conductor's coin changer is authentic for these cars, although I suppose it would have been necessary to collect the extra quarter on the Evanston Express.

• Upvote 1

It was a nice time overall.... I was glad my schedule allowed me to join in the "Farewell 2400's" Charter for a little bit yesterday. I wonder in about 5-6 years time when the 2600's should be just about all retired, and another "Farewell" Charter is set, will they turn back the clock on them as well?

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/2600/cta2930.jpg

Sadly, it'll be nearly impossible to turn the clock back on the 3200's at the time of their retirement for a special charter, as what makes them unique and special(last cars ordered with mylar signs) will be gone.

I'm sure it is whatever Garfield could get on his trip down the hall to the print shop.

If you want to talk authentic history, I suppose one could question whether his conductor's coin changer is authentic for these cars, although I suppose it would have been necessary to collect the extra quarter on the Evanston Express.

Ah! Well said mate! That would've been awesome. I was somewhat surprised that they didn't do the Evanston Express and Lake/Dan Ryan.

AAARRRGGHH, you people are killing me! <_< I wanted so bad to go to this and couldn't. A few days back, I fell and landed in my knee. I couldn't hardly walk around my house, much less go to this. However, as usual, there are lots of great pics and commentary. I really appreciative everyone's efforts and time. Is there video anywhere?

Kimball/Brown line is wheelchair accessible!! :P Sorry you couldn't attend. :unsure: Of course we have videos. I have a video of them hooking up cars 5-6 after the kimball fracas. There's alot of nice pics on flickr, I found a set from Zol87 on flickriver.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zol87/

You can see Graham Garfield's uniform. I didn't know they wore leather coats. How come I never saw this. I rode these cars as a child on WNW.

Well everyone that rode got a pin passed out by the guy in the flickriver photos with the officers hat. His name was Fred. He had this crest on his arm, looked special. I was trying to figure that out. It was a four digit badge. He must have been a retiree or soon to be retiree. It was nice seeing the older guys that's been with CTA for a long time. CTA has a nice family of employees.

Since you didn't ride, I'll see if I can take a picture of the pin and post it, they also passed out a ceremonial flyer. I'll post that too if noone beats me too it.

... There's alot of nice pics on flickr, I found a set from Zol87 on flickriver.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zol87/

You can see Graham Garfield's uniform. I didn't know they wore leather coats. How come I never saw this. I rode these cars as a child on WNW.

Looking at Zol's pictures, it is surprising that they recreated RTA car cards. In this century, CTA couldn't admit that you take Pace from Midway to Toyota Park, just that it was "another carrier."

I also remember when the 24-hour Tribune started (after the death of Chicago Today, formerly Chicago's American). It sort of felt like the day starting with the City Edition (about 3 p.m. the day before) NEVER ended.

I don't have an independent recollection of leather coats, but I suppose the conductors had to do something when it got cold.

Interesting fact about the 2400's in the chicagoist article.... the model of the 2400's from 1972 shows them with "Blinker-style" doors. They must've finally decided on the sliding doors when they began production in 1974-1975.

Good catch on that sw. I forgot that there was a photo somewhere showing that the 2400s originally were planned with the blinker doors.

Now for some shots.... they're not BusHunter or garmon757 worthy, but they're ok..... :mellow:

Also at the end, I got #3379-3380 in service Loop-bound with the LED signs(the ad-wrapped cars).

They were still good shots. I'm glad they actually restored the cars to their original exterior looks as closely as they managed to accomplish for the farewell trips.

Ah! Well said mate! That would've been awesome. I was somewhat surprised that they didn't do the Evanston Express and Lake/Dan Ryan.

I think the intent Garmon was to give CTA riders one last ride and look of another piece of CTA history on the CTA rail lines as they exist today and not to actually recreate the rail line routes of the past beyond placing the old rail line cards above the doors. :lol::)

Looking at Zol's pictures, it is surprising that they recreated RTA car cards. In this century, CTA couldn't admit that you take Pace from Midway to Toyota Park, just that it was "another carrier."

I also remember when the 24-hour Tribune started (after the death of Chicago Today, formerly Chicago's American). It sort of felt like the day starting with the City Edition (about 3 p.m. the day before) NEVER ended.

I don't have an independent recollection of leather coats, but I suppose the conductors had to do something when it got cold.

I didn't know they actually advertized real products on the cta car cards like Johnsons Wax or Essence hair conditioner on this brunette woman. One of my CTA buddies even caught a shot of the polish telethon card with Bobby Vinton. Some of these cards are cool. Probably IRM supplied the cards, so that's probably why there's a few RTA ones.

This is one reason for charters like IRM Snowflake. Wednesday special used at least 10 hours. Weekday charters are limited to 9:00 to 3:00 to avoid rush hours. Snowflakes use weekends to stay out on the tracks longer. Still, all the routes can't be covered in the time available. Wednesday was probably 8:00 to 18:00 hours. That crew slept late today.

DHarrison

• Upvote 1

The classic roll signs would be cool. The main question is whether the print shop has the equipment to make functional roll signs or just sticky graphics for the outside of the train. I'm also too young to remember the peanut butter seats, but then again, I'm too young to remember the livery the farewell trains are in now. :P

That's how I try to deal with the fact that I didn't make it for this farewell. :ph34r:

The head cab window is a choice location with a unique view: caught out the window of the ‘Goodbye, old friends!’ CTA 2400-series railcars, special train on Wednesday, 01/21/2015.

DSCN0220.jpg

A NB Brown line is captured out the cab window of the 2400 Farewell special at it passes Willow St.

DSCN0205.jpg

The 2400 series train leans through the first curve at Sheridan Rd. of the four track north side main opened in 1900. The special is following the last downtown Purple train on track #1.

DSCN0233.jpg

The reverse curves at W. North Ave have been proposed for straightening since the CTA was created in 1947, well, the curves are still there today in 2015. The outside tracks were removed in the decades after the North Shore interurban quit the business and the tracks were deemed unneeded.

DSCN0249.jpg

The over-the-street connection between the north side four track main and the Loop "L" was limited to the two tracks where the 2400 Special is shown turning into the reverse curves at W. Hubbard St. just north of the Merchandise Mart.

David Harrison

• Upvote 5

I didn't know they actually advertized real products on the cta car cards like Johnsons Wax or Essence hair conditioner on this brunette woman. One of my CTA buddies even caught a shot of the polish telethon card with Bobby Vinton. Some of these cards are cool. Probably IRM supplied the cards, so that's probably why there's a few RTA ones.

They probably are recreations, but as you indicate, based on what IRM has or what might be in the "basement."

CTA always had a mix of commercial and public service cards, and it appears that the organizers wanted to recreate that. I guess your point was why now advertise those products, while my point was that they used public service cards for an organization they no longer recognize. Of course, the cards for 30 day passes and Link Up Cards show that those programs go that far back (and that a monthly pass is 130% higher now than it was then).

The classic roll signs would be cool. The main question is whether the print shop has the equipment to make functional roll signs or just sticky graphics for the outside of the train. I'm also too young to remember the peanut butter seats, but then again, I'm too young to remember the livery the farewell trains are in now. :P

That's how I try to deal with the fact that I didn't make it for this farewell. :ph34r:

The last couple of times (such as for the Red Line closure), they contracted out the signs.

The beige plastic shells with brown and orange inserts started on buses in 1972, and, in essence, these were the first L cars with bus interiors. That vinyl never held up, and eventually was replaced with the slash proof and puke resistant fabric.

IIRC, some of these had red fabric inserts, while usually L cars had blue ones.