No Summer pick for 2015?

Sam92

I've been both on the forum and transitchicago and I have yet to see about any schedule changes related to the summer pick.... Anyone know what's the deal with that? Could the Yellow Line closure be that much of an issue to where both the bus picks AND rail picks are postponed for a while?

​wow. That's new, I thought the pick happens around the last week of may for the summer

​The last few years' picks have been the 2nd or 3rd week in June.

2014 had a mid-late June Pick, but rail schedules were effective in May
2013 had a June 23 and May 19 (to accommodate for 77th and 103). Rail schedule was out in May.
2012 had a June 15 pick.
2011 had a June 11 (Rail) and June 19 (bus).

They begin picking this weekend for the Summer 2015 pick. I have heard not of any changes. If I were to guess, I would guess that 77th and 103rd will  get a few extra busses to accommodate downtown routes which have a heavier ridership in Summer. The only change that might be coming is the change of storage downtown on Randolph. 

Towards the end of June-beginning of July is when things will change. There is a "pending doomsday" to prepare as the agency stated during it's May board meeting that they have a "Contingency Plan" in the works should the "still proposed" State Budget becomes enacted into law on July 1st. There should also be a new System Map (which has already been scheduled for) in July. So, yeah even though the Summer Picks haven't been announced yet, around the 2nd week of June is typically when the Summer Picks are available.

The interesting part though is that fall picks have been done in late August if I'm remembering correctly. If I am, that makes summer pick the shortest one of the year and fall the longest one.

​Obviously it is somewhat dictated by when the school trips start and end.

There will be a summer pick. The pick will start on the 6th through the 9th, and will go into effect on the 21st of June. ​

[Most of] CPS lets out on the 19th. To when [most] return is TBA 

​Well duh, even though it's only part of the equation since there are many routes that don't explicitly specify an increase for school trips on their schedules either through the generic "More service may be provided on school days between August and June" or delineating a timed trip as a school day trip.

​Well duh, even though it's only part of the equation since there are many routes that don't explicitly specify an increase for school trips on their schedules either through the generic "More service may be provided on school days between August and June" or delineating a timed trip as a school day trip.

​But unless they are all extra board, someone has to pick the trips.

Obviously there is a connection between school is out June 19 and the pick is effective June 21.

Heard that the pick was delayed so the effective date will obviously be pushed back.

​Pick will go in 6/21. Picking will start 6/15. Not sure what union squauk was, probably regarding change from paying in 10ths of an hour (6 minute increments) to exact minutes.

Edited by andrethebusman

Any Idea If Any Of These Routes Are Getting New Scheduling Or Routing, And You Know, Not For Just The Summer?

​You'll have to wait for the schedules, but with 68 routes listed, it probably is only minor stuff. At least they aren't doing anything to 1 and 2.9_9

Any Idea If Any Of These Routes Are Getting New Scheduling Or Routing, And You Know, Not For Just The Summer?

​You'll have to wait for the schedules, but with 68 routes listed, it probably is only minor stuff. At least they aren't doing anything to 1 and 2.9_9

​Right. And it'll probably be a few days when advance looks of schedules go up if they haven't already as the advance schedules do tend to go up at least the weak before the pick is effective.

​Right. And it'll probably be a few days when advance looks of schedules go up if they haven't already as the advance schedules do tend to go up at least the week before the pick is effective.

​Also, the Meeting Agenda for May 10 didn't reflect anything from the Strategic Planning Committee, which would have preceded any drastic change to service.

One thing I saw for summer pick is that it looks like Stony/63rd short turns are going completely bye bye on the #6. They'd already cut those down to just weekends, primarily Saturdays, effective during this current spring pick. From the looks of it all trips on the 6 are full trips.

One thing I saw for summer pick is that it looks like Stony/63rd short turns are going completely bye bye on the #6. They'd already cut those down to just weekends, primarily Saturdays, effective during this current spring pick. From the looks of it all trips on the 6 are full trips.

​6 shorts were a relatively new phenomenon anyway. Started a couple of years ago on Saturdays, added weekday forenoon a couple of picks ago. However, there is enough business south of 63rd that this (like most short-turns) just causes inadequate service south of the cutback point. By the way, the 146 shorts to Marine/Wilson are for a very different reason than most - namely no place to park more than 2 artics at Berwyn/Broadway, and 146 tends to get rather long layovers as this route has EXTREME schedule adherence problems.