Pace/CTA North Shore Coordination Plan

On 9/9/2019 at 2:06 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

What possible reason for a year long delay? My first guess was Edens BOS but they could either scrap that or move the 54A/641 to phase 3

Considering a major service change can happen during any given cycle, it might be better to wait until August 2020 anyway. Usually it’s equipment, driver availability, and/or construction with bays.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Probably they are trying to figure out where to put #215 and #641 at jeff. They already have 270 and Pulse to contend with. 

That seems fairly simple. 85 doubles up since it's a thru route, 215 shares with 225/226, since both of these routes combined still have like a 60 min frequency and if you correctly stagger them, 641 can share with 85A, since they have the same frequency

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

That seems fairly simple. 85 doubles up since it's a thru route, 215 shares with 225/226, since both of these routes combined still have like a 60 min frequency and if you correctly stagger them, 641 can share with 85A, since they have the same frequency

Under Phase 2, doesn't the 226 get rerouted to serve Howard Red Line? That would mean that it would no longer serve Jefferson Park. 

21 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Under Phase 2, doesn't the 226 get rerouted to serve Howard Red Line? That would mean that it would no longer serve Jefferson Park. 

16 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Delete 226. Add 215 and 641. And increase frequency on 225. CTA will need to give up some bays. 

15 hours ago, Sam92 said:

You'd think the expansion would have accounted for that ??

So if the 85 is combined, that's one free one right there that the 215 could take. 641 could share with either 215 or 225, and since the route is short enough, the actually layover can take place at county courthouse. Everything just barely fits. Alternatively, 641 could also share with 85A, since both routes could be staggered to not interfere with each other that much

#215 probably needs it's own bay. I think theres an open bay in the south terminal still something could go over there like the 85A. If cta were smart they could stagger the times of the 85a and 88 to run 10 minutes apart between the two they could share a bay. I dont know about cta and pace sharing a bay. You can argue 56A and #270 did it but they were similar routes. Unless you put 225 with 85A but what about 641? Regardless the north terminal is probably going to soon be the Pace terminal. Maybe #92 and #85 stays but that's about it. 

Btw, was wondering what #270 does when Pulse is always filling its bay? Drove past. The operators was using 226s bay. So what do they do in the rush hour? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, BusHunter said:

#215 probably needs it's own bay. I think theres an open bay in the south terminal still something could go over there like the 85A. If cta were smart they could stagger the times of the 85a and 88 to run 10 minutes apart between the two they could share a bay. I dont know about cta and pace sharing a bay. You can argue 56A and #270 did it but they were similar routes. Unless you put 225 with 85A but what about 641? Regardless the north terminal is probably going to soon be the Pace terminal. Maybe #92 and #85 stays but that's about it. 

Btw, was wondering what #270 does when Pulse is always filling its bay? Drove past. The operators was using 226s bay. So what do they do in the rush hour? 

There are 2 open bays one next to 85A and one next to 88 (Stop P) and (Stop G) 

3 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Find what? The bays?

Yes

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

He has no proof, he's just guessing.

Actually, not sure that's the case here. I saw a diagram (which is what I'm trying to find again) of the assigned bays for Jeff Pk during the construction, but I was fairly certain there was at 1 free bay per side not currently utilized by any route. However, it's been such a long time since I saw the schematic that I didn't want to say just anything without looking at it once more.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Follow up. Pace has posted this flyer for public hearings regarding Phase 2 changes. And because of "resource constraints", the proposed changes are different from the original changes:

• From Jefferson Park, the #215 will go straight down Foster to Pulaski, instead of Foster-Cicero-Peterson-Pulaski.
  • The proposed #641 is not included in these new changes. That probably means #54A is saved from the blade.
  • For the first time in over a decade, the #226 will go straight down Oakton between Mannheim and Busse, instead of serving the Des Plaines Metra. The bus will also turn on Skokie to Howard instead of Crawford, eliminating duplication of the #97 on that one-mile stretch of Oakton.
  • The #423 will terminate at the Glen of North Glenview Metra station via Waukegan and Willow Roads, but it will still serve Glenview Metra via Waukegan-Dewes-Harlem-Glenview and then back on Waukegan.
  • The #422 will only terminate at the Glenview Metra, and will NOT proceed north to the Glen Metra station, as it was originally proposed.
  • The new #424 will only terminate at the Glen Metra, and will NOT proceed north on Shermer & Waukegan to Northbrook Court as it was originally proposed.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahead of the public hearings (which the first one will be tonight), Pace has posted PDFs of changes to each bus route individually.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Ahead of the public hearings (which the first one will be tonight), Pace has posted PDFs of changes to each bus route individually.

• 210 has been on it's last legs for a minute, so this isn't surprising
  • I'll say again removing the Des Plaines service from the 226 does more harm than good.
  • Good to see they're breaking up the 423

On 1/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • 210 has been on it's last legs for a minute, so this isn't surprising
  • I'll say again removing the Des Plaines service from the 226 does more harm than good.
  • Good to see they're breaking up the 423

My only comment is the 226: it's a grid route and sending it to DP, while I can see why, you've got the 250 and Dee Road Metra for connections.

Plus not every bus is going west of Milwaukee. Perhaps the bulk of the passengers don't need DP to connect. 

• Upvote 1

I hadn't been out there in awhile.   Took a look yesterday and was surprised.  The 221, which uses to run from Rosemont CTA via River Rd, Devon, Higgins,  Manheim,  and Touhy to Wolf, now runs River Rd and Touhy.  The 250, which replaced the 220 that ran Manhein to Lee,  now runs Manheim,  Touhy,  Lee.   The 230 runs River Rd and Touhy.    The 422 definitely needed to be broken up.  

Hopefully I will get up that way again soon. 

• 4 months later...

Don’t know if this has been addressed on this thread or not, but is there a reason why Route 423 shifts from Harlem Ave to Waukegan Road at Dempster St? I’m curious about what benefits the new service would have along Waukegan Road as opposed to the current Harlem Ave corridor.

https://pacebus.com/pdf/initiatives/NSCP/423.pdf

Edit: I understand part of the reason why it’s rerouted is to provide service that Route 210 would no longer provide. Am I correct to assume there’s more ridership along this corridor?

Edited by TransitXan17
Clarification

1 hour ago, TransitXan17 said:

Don’t know if this has been addressed on this thread or not, but is there a reason why Route 423 shifts from Harlem Ave to Waukegan Road at Dempster St? I’m curious about what benefits the new service would have along Waukegan Road as opposed to the current Harlem Ave corridor.

https://pacebus.com/pdf/initiatives/NSCP/423.pdf

Edit: I understand part of the reason why it’s rerouted is to provide service that Route 210 would no longer provide. Am I correct to assume there’s more ridership along this corridor?

Maybe it's just easier logistically to get the #423 to the Glen shopping area. By the time it stops and goes around the block it wastes more time. Now it can directly go. Or it could be the draw at Golf Metra!! Not!!?

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

what ever happened to the north shore coordination plan wit CTA?

It hit a roadblock when multiple politicians protested the second stage plan to cut all service north and west of Glen Metra. Then COVID-19 hit.

I was told by Driving Innovation:

In relation to Driving Innovation plan, initiative #A-5 proposes Pace conduct a system-wide assessment of its entire bus network. As part of this effort, any fixed-route, On Demand, or similar demand-response type services may be considered for these specific areas. It is also possible for part or all of the outstanding proposed North Shore changes to be reevaluated during this process. The A-5 initiative is currently anticipated to start sometime in 2022 and will include an extensive public outreach process among all impacted communities.

Additionally, the Phase 2 changes will be subject to continued assessment of the post-pandemic demand for bus service, further coordination with the CTA, public hearings, and approval by Pace’s Board of Directors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1