1000-series D40LF - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

I did mention 1757 but I finally found 1824 in the boneyard and 1824 is on LTH so that is retired leaving 1822 and 1826 as the only 1820's left.

1686 and 1786 were towed down to the boneyard. 1686 has been marked as Long term hold 4 times, with 3 yellow stickers around the front and back of the bus and a chalked marking on the rear, but what surprises me is 1686 still has a new style farebox inside. 1786 only has one LTH sticker on the rear and took the place of 1614, which might have been sent down deep into the boneyard. I saw a 74th D40LF at the south fence earlier today without a farebox but has a old shield and has a yellow 6 sticker.

The Perry side has mainly been untouched at the boneyard. 1989 has been towed down there in August, 1427 has sat there since its accident in July, and 1331 1944 1588 1790 1037 and 1847 remain at the south fence. Last time I was down there 6474 was at the fence as well but 1686 took its place. Yes 8104 is also there still. 1990 also hit the boneyard, and 1659 sits next to 1990. 1667 is nowhere to be seen. I do not know the status of 1955 1927 and 1791 which sit right next to one of the shop buildings.

1977 awaits repairs along with 1992(?). 1941 was down at SS today as well. 1784 status is unknown along with 1713 but 1713 sits on south fence and 1784 is sitting in the area where 1941 is. 1272 seems to be getting gutted out, I saw the left side control panel raised along with some of the LTH 1700s and 1800s that were at SS. I also saw 1834 down there as well my first visual sighting. 1729 I saw there too but it did not have any stickers

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

1854 is in the same spot it has been before August 29th when I went by SS today. It was hiding behind 1885 so they would have had to move 1885 to get 1854 out of SS. So what I believe what happened was another bus that was out of service for some time got 1854's tracker but they did not renumber it so it tracked as 1854, but the 1854 number did not track for a week.

Makes sense. It definitely explains why the bus would show up in service for so short a time only to be right back in the boneyard again.  😂

On 9/6/2024 at 7:35 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

[edit] 1686 and 1786 were towed down to the boneyard. 1686 has been marked as Long term hold 4 times, with 3 yellow stickers around the front and back of the bus and a chalked marking on the rear, but what surprises me is 1686 still has a new style farebox inside. 1786 only has one LTH sticker on the rear and took the place of 1614, which might have been sent down deep into the boneyard.

Just what is going on at some garages, what with buses that are going to be scrapped getting the new farebox?😲Is there somebody at each garage that should keep track of this? This is not negligence that something was left in place on a vehicle. Somebody ordered the installation of the new farebox on a bus that was one incident away from being retired | scrapped. 😬 

1 hour ago, pudgym29 said:

Just what is going on at some garages, what with buses that are going to be scrapped getting the new farebox?😲Is there somebody at each garage that should keep track of this? This is not negligence that something was left in place on a vehicle. Somebody ordered the installation of the new farebox on a bus that was one incident away from being retired | scrapped. 😬 

the D40LF buses are being retired no matter what type of farebox they have. They’ll reinstall the farebox on an active bus.

20 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Aside from what @Erin Mishkin Jr. said, that one incident hadn't happened as of then. Maybe you are clairvoyant enough to warn the VP of Bus Operations before the next time.

There's also the factor that not all D40LFs are getting scrapped. He must have missed when CTA announced about the same time that they first announced the contract for what are now the 8350s that they had plans to keep at least 400 of them and give them a second rehab to last long enough to make it until they make another larger bus order a few years down the road.

14 minutes ago, jajuan said:

There's also the factor that not all D40LFs are getting scrapped. He must have missed when CTA announced about the same time that they first announced the contract for what are now the 8350s that they had plans to keep at least 400 of them and give them a second rehab to last long enough to make it until they make another larger bus order a few years down the road.

And also missed the Press Release that

The initial roll-out of the program will entail the installation and field testing of 100 updated buses through spring. The equipment will be installed on buses operating out of CTA’s Chicago Avenue Garage on the West Side, which serves some of the agency’s highest ridership routes including: #12 Roosevelt, #20 Madison, #53 Pulaski, #65 Grand and #66 Chicago.

The CTA has a fleet of more than 1,800 buses, systemwide. Following the successful testing of the first 100 buses, CTA will begin rolling out the equipment to the remaining bus fleet beginning in summer and through the end of year.

although "updated buses" is not defined, and drivers reported that the rollout "to the remaining fleet" is on a garage-by-garage basis. But as you implied, CTA never said that it was restricting the rollout to the 1050 Nova Buses (existing and future). but to the "remaining bus fleet" of a  "fleet of of more than 1,800 buses."

But, as usual, he threw a torch without defending the post.