Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

After posting earlier  , I thought about those two things being separate incidents.

While I understand why CTA drivers,  or any bus drivers shouldn't have firearms,  i certainly understand why a driver would feel like he has to have one.  Drivers get cursed out, spat on, hit, etc.  The driver is a sitting duck.  We've seen drivers knockout passengers, body slam passengers.   Drivers have been carjacked at work.  

That driver will probably be fired, but he will live.  Being fearful for his life made him resort to bringing a weapon.    But in this case he was the aggressor. The days we are in now shows it takes very little for something to escalate into a shooting.   Better him than me. 

Most definitely gotta have that gun for protection & its your 2nd admendment right the right to bare arms 

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

After posting earlier  , I thought about those two things being separate incidents.

While I understand why CTA drivers,  or any bus drivers shouldn't have firearms,  i certainly understand why a driver would feel like he has to have one.  Drivers get cursed out, spat on, hit, etc.  The driver is a sitting duck.  We've seen drivers knockout passengers, body slam passengers.   Drivers have been carjacked at work.  

That driver will probably be fired, but he will live.  Being fearful for his life made him resort to bringing a weapon.    But in this case he was the aggressor. The days we are in now shows it takes very little for something to escalate into a shooting.   Better him than me. 

I can definitely relate, alot of truckers cant park there trucks just anywhere so sometimes they have to park in abandoned unlit areas in a questionable part of the neighborhood. They actually have had truckers and bus drivers of tennessee lobby for this. But at the supreme court level you can carry if you are legally entitled to. Like I say you put your life in your hands. I dont believe cta allows firearms and if I carried one into my job I'm fired. So while it may be legal, it's not  company policy. If I was a businessman, I wouldnt allow it for the liability. If the operator shoots someone that opens up grounds for a lawsuit. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I can definitely relate, alot of truckers cant park there trucks just anywhere so sometimes they have to park in abandoned unlit areas in a questionable part of the neighborhood. They actually have had truckers and bus drivers of tennessee lobby for this. But at the supreme court level you can carry if you are legally entitled to. Like I say you put your life in your hands. I dont believe cta allows firearms and if I carried one into my job I'm fired. So while it may be legal, it's not  company policy. If I was a businessman, I wouldnt allow it for the liability. If the operator shoots someone that opens up grounds for a lawsuit. 

If somebody shoots at me best belive I'm firing back like am I just suppose to let them shoot at me what if they are on the bus & they fire at me & I'm driving like wtf I'm just suppose to get shot

3 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

If somebody shoots at me best belive I'm firing back like am I just suppose to let them shoot at me what if they are on the bus & they fire at me & I'm driving like wtf I'm just suppose to get shot

See now. If you drove a truck and your an owner operator. Your the boss. Carry your gun your entitled. But when your working for someone else that's different. Somehow I see this becoming an issue in the future. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

True in some states.   Othet states don't allow concealed weapons in trucks even if the owner has a valid firearm license and a valid conceal carry license.  Laws vary from state to state. 

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I think that operator was all fired up!! 

As crazy as it sounds if the operator has a conceal and carry permit legally they can carry a weapon on a bus. Whether cta allows that is yet to be seen. This really makes me want to ride cta!! Probably Id say that is an ex operator but the world is so crazy you never know. Depends if the weapon was used for intimidation or defense. 

Yeah, I won't shed to much light on it since it is a former coworker but man I just dont understand who would get you that fired up on 43rd street to pull out a gun. I had it during the spring pick on Saturdays and it was smooth sailing. It's the most peaceful route to operate outside of all the trips you have to do. My bigger concern is why hasn't this gained any media coverage? Is there some sort of agreement CTA has with all media outlets to not report on anything negative towards the company? Now if the two passengers he got into it with go to the media themselves along with the lawsuit that is surely to come in the near future what can CTA really do? I hardly ever see anything news related on CTA anymore positive or negative these days. 

42 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah, I won't shed to much light on it since it is a former coworker but man I just dont understand who would get you that fired up on 43rd street to pull out a gun. I had it during the spring pick on Saturdays and it was smooth sailing. It's the most peaceful route to operate outside of all the trips you have to do. My bigger concern is why hasn't this gained any media coverage? Is there some sort of agreement CTA has with all media outlets to not report on anything negative towards the company? Now if the two passengers he got into it with go to the media themselves along with the lawsuit that is surely to come in the near future what can CTA really do? I hardly ever see anything news related on CTA anymore positive or negative these days. 

I think the city is so afraid of losing tourists that it’s jsut not getting reported. I’m sure as a 77th driver some of your co workers have been having issues with the group of 100 teens every Saturday that hasn’t been making the news. Might be the same reasoning as messed up as it is 

33 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I think the city is so afraid of losing tourists that it’s jsut not getting reported. I’m sure as a 77th driver some of your co workers have been having issues with the group of 100 teens every Saturday that hasn’t been making the news. Might be the same reasoning as messed up as it is 

Yeah to some to degree I get why certain stories don't get reported but at the same time you have to be as transparent as possible with the public.Lets face it, the current news cycle is a joke when it comes to reporting daily events. Bushunter's channel is a prime example that shows how bad things have progressed over time when it comes to the media reporting on CTA. No matter how big or small/negative/positive the story was, almost every news outlet covered it in some capacity. Now if were even lucky we'll get a 15 to 30 second newsflash of anything that may have occured. I think as of late CBS is really the only media outlet that reports about CTA consistently no matter what the situation is. I feel that in this day in age the CTA needs to engage with the public a lot more than ever because as of right now the operators are doing a lot of the grunt work and sometimes it makes me wonder why hasn't the powers that be at 567 come forward to face the media like they did in the past to engage the public?  To bring everything I said back full circle overall I just want things to be more transparent at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah to some to degree I get why certain stories don't get reported but at the same time you have to be as transparent as possible with the public.Lets face it, the current news cycle is a joke when it comes to reporting daily events. Bushunter's channel is a prime example that shows how bad things have progressed over time when it comes to the media reporting on CTA. No matter how big or small/negative/positive the story was, almost every news outlet covered it in some capacity. Now if were even lucky we'll get a 15 to 30 second newsflash of anything that may have occured. I think as of late CBS is really the only media outlet that reports about CTA consistently no matter what the situation is. I feel that in this day in age the CTA needs to engage with the public a lot more than ever because as of right now the operators are doing a lot of the grunt work and sometimes it makes me wonder why hasn't the powers that be at 567 come forward to face the media like they did in the past to engage the public?  To bring everything I said back full circle overall I just want things to be more transparent at the end of the day.

Transparency starts with Lori Lightfoot.   If she isn't transparent....

The crime issues are policy related and parental related.  Until both get fixed....

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

The crime issues are policy related and parental related.  Until both get fixed....

Yeah you're right about that, I remember back during the kruesi/daley era he was always front and center for anything that happened. Since then it hasn't been the same and crime has been at the forefront for many decades now. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

You both have points and @YoungBusLoveras a driver I get you. Even though I’m not driving buses is dashers are catching flack for stuff that doordash and uber are failing to fully tell. You’ve heard of driver shortages but the companies always omit how we’re here but are declining more because the base pay is $3 per trip of a tip isn’t included. A way of saving face for the companies that employ the drivers and Chicago is doing the same by leaving out a LOT of crimes in the news

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

You both have points and @YoungBusLoveras a driver I get you. Even though I’m not driving buses is dashers are catching flack for stuff that doordash and uber are failing to fully tell. You’ve heard of driver shortages but the companies always omit how we’re here but are declining more because the base pay is $3 per trip of a tip isn’t included. A way of saving face for the companies that employ the drivers and Chicago is doing the same by leaving out a LOT of crimes in the news

It's a  catch 22.  Being open about crimes may deter people from seeking employment with CTA, Uber, Lyft, Doordash.  It may also determine ridership.   They can't win for withholding info to protect themselves from losing money and they can't win for being transparent because it will cause them to lose money.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It's a  catch 22.  Being open about crimes may deter people from seeking employment with CTA, Uber, Lyft, Doordash.  It may also determine ridership.   They can't win for withholding info to protect themselves from losing money and they can't win for being transparent because it will cause them to lose money.

Exact BUT the drivers end up in the middle. In @YoungBusLovercase he’s getting yelled at for being “30 min late” when he may be “on time” but his leader didn’t show or etc so he’s gotta explain and risk an attack for things beyond his control

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Dam they fired him 

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

See now. If you drove a truck and your an owner operator. Your the boss. Carry your gun your entitled. But when your working for someone else that's different. Somehow I see this becoming an issue in the future. 

I'm a driver bro the people on the 12 126 82 60 bro you never know somebody start shooting at me while I'm driving hit me & I crash thats a big ass settlement on alot of people & properties plus my life maybe gone & before I get to the hospital or the morgue CTA then replaced me with another driver they don't really care 

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Exact BUT the drivers end up in the middle. In @YoungBusLovercase he’s getting yelled at for being “30 min late” when he may be “on time” but his leader didn’t show or etc so he’s gotta explain and risk an attack for things beyond his control

That is exactly on the money and its not just me its systemwide, all bus operators have been experiencing this. Just this past Saturday on Halsted my leader had to deadhead because his relief wasn't there and the bus he took also didn't have a leader. So from 79th all the way to Cermak there was about a 30 to 40 minute spread on a ten minute interval street. I got slammed the first 5 blocks and all I got was where are all the buses? Why are you late? There's too many people on the bus operator....etc etc. Wheelchairs, walkers, motorized scooters, you name it. If "We pack em deep and sell em cheap." Was a bus it would be mine. By the time I got to Waveland I was over 20 minutes down and thankfully I decided not to take a break because If I did I would of gotten killed again heading back south but here's the kicker I caught my leader who also didn't have a leader when we both got past this orange line. So all in all things have been in a nutshell.  

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Remember when things weren't sugarcoated to some degree by the city and media? The 80s and 90's and early to mid 00s were much worse to some extent. Did Cabrini green scare away tourists? Did the Robert taylor homes scare away tourists?  Transparency shouldn't be so hard in this day in age especially with social media exposing more than what the new outlets or companies will show. 

41 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

That is exactly on the money and its not just me its systemwide, all bus operators have been experiencing this. Just this past Saturday on Halsted my leader had to deadhead because his relief wasn't there and the bus he took also didn't have a leader. So from 79th all the way to Cermak there was about a 30 to 40 minute spread on a ten minute interval street. I got slammed the first 5 blocks and all I got was where are all the buses? Why are you late? There's too many people on the bus operator....etc etc. Wheelchairs, walkers, motorized scooters, you name it. If "We pack em deep and sell em cheap." Was a bus it would be mine. By the time I got to Waveland I was over 20 minutes down and thankfully I decided not to take a break because If I did I would of gotten killed again heading back south but here's the kicker I caught my leader who also didn't have a leader when we both got past this orange line. So all in all things have been in a nutshell.  

Reminds me sort of of a 307 driver I had last summer. Told people as they were walking up to the bus stop at BTC that he wasn't stopping before Cermak, that's how behind he was. He pretty much adhered to that as well, he only stopped once to pick up these two elderly folks at 63rd, but he left a lot of people behind and a stop wasn't requested until Cermak.

45 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Remember when things weren't sugarcoated to some degree by the city and media? The 80s and 90's and early to mid 00s were much worse to some extent. Did Cabrini green scare away tourists? Did the Robert taylor homes scare away tourists?  Transparency shouldn't be so hard in this day in age especially with social media exposing more than what the new outlets or companies will show. 

Back then, that crime was concentrated in those projects.   When Cabrini. STAteway,  Horner,  and Taylor we're torn down, crime became more spread out, but it was still not felt downtown.   Now downtown is getting a bad reputation for being unsafe.  People are happy with this  but they don't understand if tourists don't come, neither does their money which affects everyone.   As long as crime was confined to the South and West sides, you could steer tourists away from those areas.   You know its bad when crime here is higher than New York City and Los Angeles,  both larger cities than Chicago  

5 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

As long as crime was confined to the South and West sides, you could steer tourists away from those areas.   You know its bad when crime here is higher than New York City and Los Angeles,  both larger cities than Chicago  

You got a point but at the same time as a minority here why should I care about outside money when they hide and confine everything to the west and south like animals? Ok yeah that may help keep tourists and generate revenue but you dont think people on the west and south don’t wanna work? Lol I know that’s not your personal mindset I’m just speaking in general but you get my drift. If south and west residents had as much of a chance to walk down the street and find a job people could probably occupy themselves better. Thats not to make excuses for criminals but at that point some people gotta eat one way or another and let’s be honest, it’s the south and west sliders who kept the city moving during covid ??‍♀️

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I had that on the 12 last week I was heading west got to kedize everybody was like where tf the buses at said they missed the bus ahead of me I think that bus was 1666 when I had passed it going eastbound a few mins eailer at western going east I was like this is sad af cta got a huge gap like this I enede up being 33 mins late 

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I'm a driver bro the people on the 12 126 82 60 bro you never know somebody start shooting at me while I'm driving hit me & I crash thats a big ass settlement on alot of people & properties plus my life maybe gone & before I get to the hospital or the morgue CTA then replaced me with another driver they don't really care 

Yeah I know. I drive the city too. Hey at least you have a bulletproof shield. I thought the windshield is bulletproof too I may be wrong. I dont really have anything to protect me. My coworkers are scared driving overnight in the high crime areas. I just try to work as smart as I can limiting my time in the unsafe areas. That's about all I can do. Stay away from groups of people. Do you notice most shootings especially the drive by type happen to groups of people. So maybe you can reduce your odds. I have had a brick thrown at my bus from a group. It's good to wear some glasses in case someone busts your windshield but it should shatter instead of break. Try not to let your guard down. We had a hijacked bus one day. If it doesnt feel right dont do it. It brings a whole new meaning to drive defensively.