Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 hours ago, Policeman said:

They rarely stop at 18th/27th/63rd streets.

While it's been a minute,  the last few times I've taken the SC branch of the ME, whether it was midday or O.M. rush, those trains made all if those stops.   I would imagine the Jensington/Blue Island trains did as well.

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Probably cause it competes with metra electric. They lowered fares. What's faster the train or the bus? 

I thought the #26 runs both directions but just in a light fashion going opposite of the rush traffic. 

By virtue of there being no CTA-Metra transfer, the ME competes with every N-S route that goes downtown around it. It can only poach riders who's final destination is downtown, since taking CTA to transfer to Metra isn't really economical, even with lowered fares. Almost all the ridership from Kensington northward are walk-up riders. Not everyone on the south side headed downtown has downtown as their final destination (I found out last summer J14 to the 20 or Brown Line is a less-than uncommon transfer). 

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Depends on where you catch the bus or train.   If you are south of 79th Cheltenham i would probably say the ME is faster  The closer you get to  67th and Jeffery,  the 26 becomes the more faster alternative.   Even though the ME has only 4 stops in Hyde Park, it also stops at 27th, McCormick Place,  and 18th.   The only thing to make the train trip faster is to transfer to an express train in Hyde Park, .  Then you would bypass Hyde Park/53rd, 47th, 27th, McCormick Place and 18th.

A Kensington local takes about 40 minutes to reach Millennium station. By contrast, assuming favorable traffic conditions, a 26 takes just over an hour to go from 103rd/Stony to Michigan/Wacker. By my personal count, it takes about 55 mins to do 103rd/Ewing to 11th & Columbus, so the official timetable isn't off. However, a ME train leaving 63rd to Millennium station will take about the same amount of time as a 26 or J14 to reach Washington/Michigan from 67th/Jeffery.

As someone who takes the ME when I'm at home, it's pretty much the fastest way downtown unless I know there will be a J14 waiting if I take the 75 down to Jeffery. Where I stay, the ME station is close enough that I can walk, bike or take the 75, which I can't do the former two to Jeffery.

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

While it's been a minute,  the last few times I've taken the SC branch of the ME, whether it was midday or O.M. rush, those trains made all if those stops.   I would imagine the Jensington/Blue Island trains did as well.

27th and 18th are flag stops, McCormick isn't. When I ride, we typically don't stop at 27th (least busiest station in the system I think), and I'm not sure I ever have, and I can count on one hand all the times we've stopped at 18th in the last 4 years.

25 minutes ago, Policeman said:

CTA bosses i tell you

4005  8A: South Halsted 8A-704  7 (77th)

18 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

The extension is that successful? ?

I was already laughing at the first one and then the follow up ?????

Perhaps it was the closest piece of available equipment? ?

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Hey people wante artics on south halsted so bad ??

Who advocated for this lol?

4 hours ago, Smolensk said:

Don't laugh.  I once saw an artic on 56A (North Milwaukee).

This one is even more bizarre, there isn't even a single artic route out of Jeff Pk, let alone FP being able to hold them. Maybe it came off the 92 (even more bizarre), that's the only NP route out of Jeff Pk

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This one is even more bizarre, there isn't even a single artic route out of Jeff Pk, let alone FP being able to hold them. Maybe it came off the 92 (even more bizarre), that's the only NP route out of Jeff Pk

Technically some believe artics would do well on 352 but they can’t do that that’s what the joke meant ?

26 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Technically some believe artics would do well on 352 but they can’t do that that’s what the joke meant ?

LOL, I was the one that said the 352 "might" benefit from 4-6 artics (see NICE Bus routes n4 & n6) but certainly not on the 8A. This has definitely been a weird week for bus placements, first the nova on the 146 and now this. Next we'll have a NP bus on the 49 start a 349 run ????

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

School trip? Or maybe back when Milwaukee itself was busy and the artic probably came off a 56 run? 

There are no school trips north of Jefferson Park.  It was just one time in the late afternoon rush.  I looked at it and thought "Gee, this is weird."  But it was on Milwaukee near SuperDawg and it had 56A signage on it.

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

92 is an FG route whatever NP trips you saw are school runs. And to answer the question you’re going to ask they run it out of FG instead of NP to interline and get more runs per hour because with the layover time it’s either rest for a super long layover or cut the layover time a bit by having the bus do a few trips on a smaller route when getting to JP. Same reason 29 moved to 103rd

2 hours ago, Smolensk said:

There are no school trips north of Jefferson Park.  It was just one time in the late afternoon rush.  I looked at it and thought "Gee, this is weird."  But it was on Milwaukee near SuperDawg and it had 56A signage on it.

There aren't any school trips on the 68?  If any route north of Jefferson Park would have one, I imagine the 68 would be the one.

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Does this run interline with something?

That was probably at the request of supervision, the last couple of weeks runs have been missing on south Halsted during the weekends, on the 3rd I was pulled off my 2nd half of north Halsted to fill in. There was only one other bus out there at the time and the supervisor candidly said hey I need you to fill in and the run gets off earlier than your regular run. I didn't mind it because after the first round trip more late runs were popping up on the street after me. Maybe that bus was pulled of 79th or 87th and if it wasn't then maybe the operator themselves asked for the artic. I was surprised to see it when I was out there last night at the 79th and Halsted terminal.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

There aren't any school trips on the 68?  If any route north of Jefferson Park would have one, I imagine the 68 would be the one.

Sorry, I meant there are no CTA school trips  on Milwaukee north of Jefferson Park.  There certainly are school trips on 68.

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

92 is an FG route whatever NP trips you saw are school runs. And to answer the question you’re going to ask they run it out of FG instead of NP to interline and get more runs per hour because with the layover time it’s either rest for a super long layover or cut the layover time a bit by having the bus do a few trips on a smaller route when getting to JP. Same reason 29 moved to 103rd

In my defense, I thought the 92 was shared, not wholly run out of NP, but thanks for the follow-up ? 

Also hadn’t realized the 29 hadn’t always been at 103rd, I guess it could’ve been at 77th, but it makes more sense at 103rd lol

19 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

In my defense, I thought the 92 was shared, not wholly run out of NP, but thanks for the follow-up ? 

Also hadn’t realized the 29 hadn’t always been at 103rd, I guess it could’ve been at 77th, but it makes more sense at 103rd lol

Many years ago the 6 and 29 we're out of 77th, I forget why they were switched to 103rd. 

18 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Many years ago the 6 and 29 we're out of 77th, I forget why they were switched to 103rd. 

I think the 6 was switched to consolidate all the south side artics at 103rd.

Other posters seem to think that the 29 was switched to 103rd to balance shorter routes south of 95th With the longer 29.  But it seemed like the far south side routes from 95th Red Line worked well without interlining with the 77th based 29.

The 30 and 71 also used to operate from 77th.   When the 27 and 71 were combined,  half the trips on the New 71 shortturneed at 73rd and  Exchange but 77th operated all the trips.  Then 103rd operated the the fill length trips while 77th maintained the short turns.  When the shorties were eliminated,  103rd got the entire route.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I think the 6 was switched to consolidate all the south side artics at 103rd.

Other posters seem to think that the 29 was switched to 103rd to balance shorter routes south of 95th With the longer 29.  But it seemed like the far south side routes from 95th Red Line worked well without interlining with the 77th based 29.

The 30 and 71 also used to operate from 77th.   When the 27 and 71 were combined,  half the trips on the New 71 shortturneed at 73rd and  Exchange but 77th operated all the trips.  Then 103rd operated the the fill length trips while 77th maintained the short turns.  When the shorties were eliminated,  103rd got the entire route.

71 became got fully transferred in 2013 to 103rd way before the 71 trips became all full length. The short turns were actually done by both garages as the drivers alternated between a short trip and a full trip when leaving 69th (you’d do a trip to 73rd come back then next trip would be to Torrence repeat).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

29 was bought in to 103rd with the 95W in 2008 because at the time 103rd had the most rush hour/swing shift work so a lot of rush hour only work moved out to get more straight runs and lower the splits. Part of a Huge rebalancing at the time Which saw NP get rid of the few Belmont 151s it did have, along with handing over the 145/148 combo and 125 over to Kedzie. Remember 74th taking over the #108 in the AM rush to reduce the load on 103rd? 

• Thanks 1