Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

While this may not affect any route names or destinations, it looks like the City wants to renamed Lake Shore Drive ( the outer drive portion) after DuSable.   The Inber Drive will retain the Lake Shore name.  

Personally,  I prefer the Lake Shore Drive name to stay intact.   I'm not against honoring Jean Baptiste DuSable, just against renaming LSD.   How about Columbus Drive or Cottage Grove?

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

While this may not affect any route names or destinations, it looks like the City wants to renamed Lake Shore Drive ( the outer drive portion) after DuSable.   The Inber Drive will retain the Lake Shore name.  

Personally,  I prefer the Lake Shore Drive name to stay intact.   I'm not against honoring Jean Baptiste DuSable, just against renaming LSD.   How about Columbus Drive or Cottage Grove?

How about we use that $2 million to save operations and keep control of the schedule until properly staffed. I’d be for renaming if there weren’t more urgent issues to tend to. 

54 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Imma still call it LSD like the wills tower I still call thar mf the sears tower thats what I grew up on 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

While I wouldn't mind not saying LSD specifically, since even some Chicagoans think I mean the drug, I'm mostly ambivalent about this. It would be nice if they did, but it's not a necessary move. Renaming Cottage Grove or Stony Island makes the most since, but both of those names are iconic and unique to me. Maybe renaming Washington Park or E 55th would be a better move. Columbus is too far away imo, but they're better off renaming that Grant Park Dr or something of that nature anyway.

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

While I wouldn't mind not saying LSD specifically, since even some Chicagoans think I mean the drug, I'm mostly ambivalent about this. It would be nice if they did, but it's not a necessary move. Renaming Cottage Grove or Stony Island makes the most since, but both of those names are iconic and unique to me. Maybe renaming Washington Park or E 55th would be a better move. Columbus is too far away imo, but they're better off renaming that Grant Park Dr or something of that nature anyway.

I heard someone floating changing the name of one of the airports to DuSable.  I would think Midway would be a good choice but someone would dare to suggest O'Hare.   Midway would require CYA signage changes to bus and rail.  Even though the vote to change Lake Shore Drive to DuSable has been delayed. I think it's inevitable and sad 

If it has to be a street named for DuSable, my top 3 choice are Columbus Drive,  Wacker Drive, and Cottage Grove.   The first  two run close to where DuSable settled.   Cottage Grove passes by the namesake Museum.  The only expressway available for a name is I 57, which has no name or a name no one knows about.   Then there are the airports    

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

I heard someone floating changing the name of one of the airports to DuSable.  I would think Midway would be a good choice but someone would dare to suggest O'Hare.   Midway would require CYA signage changes to bus and rail.  Even though the vote to change Lake Shore Drive to DuSable has been delayed. I think it's inevitable and sad 

If it has to be a street named for DuSable, my top 3 choice are Columbus Drive,  Wacker Drive, and Cottage Grove.   The first  two run close to where DuSable settled.   Cottage Grove passes by the namesake Museum.  The only expressway available for a name is I 57, which has no name or a name no one knows about.   Then there are the airports    

Now that you've said it, I-57 would be the perfect choice imo. The last expressway in Chicago that doesn't have a name. I can already hear it, "just hop on the DuSable". Midway wouldn't be a bad choice either, they could do it like BWI: Chicago DuSable International Airport.

O'Hare's IATA designation wasn't changed when it got renamed (neither was Nashville's or Orlando's), so I imagine it'll still be referred to as MDW, if not Midway outright lol. I guess it's the same way people feel about the sears tower, USCellular (or Cominsky field if you're old enough) and maybe Ida B. Wells? Not sure if people still call that Congress Pkwy

2 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Now that you've said it, I-57 would be the perfect choice imo. The last expressway in Chicago that doesn't have a name. I can already hear it, "just hop on the DuSable". Midway wouldn't be a bad choice either, they could do it like BWI: Chicago DuSable International Airport.

O'Hare's IATA designation wasn't changed when it got renamed (neither was Nashville's or Orlando's), so I imagine it'll still be referred to as MDW, if not Midway outright lol. I guess it's the same way people feel about the sears tower, USCellular (or Cominsky field if you're old enough) and maybe Ida B. Wells? Not sure if people still call that Congress Pkwy

I'm old enough and I still refer to Congress Pkwy.  I can't bring myself to say the intersection of Wells and Ida B. Wells.  Being in transportation and dealing with tourists has forced me to say Willis Tower but my natural instinct is Sears Tower.  Isn't that building due for another name change?

I didn't like it when the Calumet Expressway was changed to the Bishop Ford.  Ironically,  I wanted i 57 to bear that name 

Whoever came up with the idea knew if he wanted this to pass, he'd have to keep the Lake Shore name attached to the Inner Drive.   Otherwise this name change wouldn't see the light of day.  As such CRA wouldn't need to rename the 146 or 147 nor change the destination of routes ending at Lake Shore Drive  

On 6/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, artthouwill said:

On 6/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, Shannoncvpi said:

Imma still call it LSD like the wills tower I still call thar mf the sears tower thats what I grew up on 

Officially renamed to Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable Lake Shore Drive, so everyone gets what they wants ?

Although I’m still not quite sure who asked for this ?

40 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Officially renamed to Jean Baptiste Pointe DuSable Lake Shore Drive, so everyone gets what they wants ?

Although I’m still not quite sure who asked for this ?

Who is going to say 7 words for a street name? This is ridiculous. I dont get why they just couldnt have named Millineum park for dusable. Its downtown, a major park. A few statues to warm it up. I cant wait to see the street signs for this. Plus Lake Shore Drive is engraved on the bridges. I dont think theres room for 7 words. So what is inner drive. 8 words? 

They just totally destroyed the history of that iconic street. Now the tourists can laugh at our silliness when they come to our town. Now the iconic song lake shore drive is singing about a fictional place. With all the violence in the city. I would have proposed they call it wild west lake shore drive. At least the tourists get the heads up that bullets may be wissing past there heads when they go down it or up it. Lightfoot is the worst mayor we ever had. I just wish we could repeal her. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Who is going to say 7 words for a street name? This is ridiculous. I dont get why they just couldnt have named Millineum park for dusable. Its downtown, a major park. A few statues to warm it up. I cant wait to see the street signs for this. Plus Lake Shore Drive is engraved on the bridges. I dont think theres room for 7 words. So what is inner drive. 8 words? 

They just totally destroyed the history of that iconic street. Now the tourists can laugh at our silliness when they come to our town. Now the iconic song lake shore drive is singing about a fictional place. With all the violence in the city. I would have proposed they call it wild west lake shore drive. At least the tourists get the heads up that bullets may be wissing past there heads when they go down it or up it. Lightfoot is the worst mayor we ever had. I just wish we could repeal her. 

Inner drive is still the same. It only applies to outer drive 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

More likely to get in a fender bender than hit with a bullet on LSD, but that’s just me. ?

Overall, I don’t imagine any bus routes will have to be renamed, although I wonder what CTA will do on the maps for the small text that explains where the LSD buses run express to/from

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

More likely to get in a fender bender than hit with a bullet on LSD, but that’s just me. ?

Overall, I don’t imagine any bus routes will have to be renamed, although I wonder what CTA will do on the maps for the small text that explains where the LSD buses run express to/from

Probably like other said shortened to DuSable like King drive. Hell if there wasn’t a wells street Downtown already I’d referring to Ida B wells as wells drive to save text and time 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Smolensk said:

The same people who say "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive" probably.

It will all work itself out eventually.  After a while, people will just say "DuSable Drive."

I think an alderman introduced it.

Why not just make LSD an honorary DuSable Drive?  He still gets his name and Brown street signage across the length of the road and LSD doesn't lose its iconic name.

To be fair, Lake Shore Drive wasn't the original name of either the Inner or Outer Drive.  I think it was Field Dr, but I will look it up.  The Inner Drive north of Belmont was originally Sheridan Rd, continuing from Sheridan south of Belmont, then heading west at 3900 North.  When the Outer Drive got renamed Lake Shore Drive, the Inner Drive initially kept the Sheridan Road name.  But residents along that stretch demanded Sheridan also got renamed as they felt Lake Shore Drive was a more prestigious name and increased property values with the association to the Lake.  

37 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Probably like other said shortened to DuSable like King drive. Hell if there wasn’t a wells street Downtown already I’d referring to Ida B wells as wells drive to save text and time 

Most would use an abbreviated name. Jbpd/lsd but that's too hard to remember. King drive is easy to say. No one says dr Martin Luther King drive cause it's just too long.  Cta doesnt say that on its talking announcements it just says king drive.. I think no street has 2 names in the city. Maybe we can call it dusable lake shore drive. But it's like comiskey park. Who says us cellular field and I dont even know what it's called now. Can you imagine if we called wrigley field, the Ricketts center. All us old schoolers are gonna cry foul. Only the new generation is truly gonna say dusable because they know the street as nothing else. Like king drive I always known it as king drive I have no problem saying king drive its natural. I think it was south park drive before. When you say south park I'm thinking of something else. 

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Most would use an abbreviated name. Jbpd/lsd but that's too hard to remember. King drive is easy to say. No one says dr Martin Luther King drive cause it's just too long.  Cta doesnt say that on its talking announcements it just says king drive.. I think no street has 2 names in the city. Maybe we can call it dusable lake shore drive. But it's like comiskey park. Who says us cellular field and I dont even know what it's called now. Can you imagine if we called wrigley field, the Ricketts center. All us old schoolers are gonna cry foul. Only the new generation is truly gonna say dusable because they know the street as nothing else. Like king drive I always known it as king drive I have no problem saying king drive its natural. I think it was south park drive before. When you say south park I'm thinking of something else. 

Was it S. Park Blvd or S. SOuth  Park  Blvd?  Minneapolis has a Park Blvd that's in South Minneapolis and is a one way NB (like Indiana Ave) running close to downtown.   Portland Ave is the SB equivalent of S. MICHIGAN Ave running one way SB.

Even though everyone calls it King Drive, the street signage originally said Martin Luther King Jr Drive.  Now, at major interasections. Itf   says M. L. King Jr Dr.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

image.thumb.png.53bfc4b17fc1f0863e8e4316cb5eecc4.pngimage.thumb.png.7611fb5f71d91ea62f7dc82a59b27b66.png

Spotted some different floors in 1384. Anyone know when this bus got these new floors? And do any other buses have these special flooring too? Flooring reminds me of the Eldorado National Axess BRT buses at Pace

Just rode 1385 yesterday had the same flooring tooimage.thumb.png.e7541770472b9e05f5cdd79015144bc9.png

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

20 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Was it S. Park Blvd or S. SOuth  Park  Blvd?  Minneapolis has a Park Blvd that's in South Minneapolis and is a one way NB (like Indiana Ave) running close to downtown.   Portland Ave is the SB equivalent of S. MICHIGAN Ave running one way SB.

Even though everyone calls it King Drive, the street signage originally said Martin Luther King Jr Drive.  Now, at major interasections. Itf   says M. L. King Jr Dr.

You both got a point. Hell if lake shore is still being included the old heads are most likely gonna stick with lake shore or just go with dusable jsut to save time like with the announcements

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It was South Park Way, one of three streets with Way as the suffix, if you include Broadway.  Broadway has no suffix to it, although a few places, like Gary do add Street to Broadway's name, meaning they don't understand the original name of Broad-Way  The other was Silverton Way, a one block street connecting Cermak to 23rd at McCormick Place.   But South Park Way's original name was Grand Blvd.

53 minutes ago, strictures said:

It was South Park Way, one of three streets with Way as the suffix, if you include Broadway.  Broadway has no suffix to it, although a few places, like Gary do add Street to Broadway's name, meaning they don't understand the original name of Broad-Way  The other was Silverton Way, a one block street connecting Cermak to 23rd at McCormick Place.   But South Park Way's original name was Grand Blvd.

Interesting conversation Broadway.   There are places where the street is named Broadway, followed by St or Ave or maybe even Way.  However,  most Broadway ive seem including New York City have Broadway spelled out as one word.  With the exception of New York, there's another suffix attached to it.   There are way fewer Broads compared to Broadway.  If you wanted to spell out Way, that's fine, but I think the proper way to express what you're saying was the original intent was to make Broadway and Way two separated words or abbreviated way to wy, but still separate from Broad.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Interesting conversation Broadway.   There are places where the street is named Broadway, followed by St or Ave or maybe even Way.  However,  most Broadway ive seem including New York City have Broadway spelled out as one word.  With the exception of New York, there's another suffix attached to it.   There are way fewer Broads compared to Broadway.  If you wanted to spell out Way, that's fine, but I think the proper way to express what you're saying was the original intent was to make Broadway and Way two separated words or abbreviated way to wy, but still separate from Broad.

I think broadway is a little nod to new york, both are angle streets that cross not only n-s but east west streets. Our broadway resembles new york in that its a busy traffic street as well as pedestrian. Didnt know it didnt have a suffix, but the suffix system here never did make sense Pulaski rd is not a road cause a road is just a one lane sharing road. Diversey blvd east of Logan blvd should have more than one lane in each direction. Why are all the south side streets labeled as streets. 87th is different to me than 63rd. Or 95th. Then the half Blocks are places. Go figure

45 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I think broadway is a little nod to new york, both are angle streets that cross not only n-s but east west streets. Our broadway resembles new york in that its a busy traffic street as well as pedestrian. Didnt know it didnt have a suffix, but the suffix system here never did make sense Pulaski rd is not a road cause a road is just a one lane sharing road. Diversey blvd east of Logan blvd should have more than one lane in each direction. Why are all the south side streets labeled as streets. 87th is different to me than 63rd. Or 95th. Then the half Blocks are places. Go figure

The suffixes here can be confusing.   Pulaski was originally Crawford before being renamed.  But was it Crawford Av?  Once upon a time. Chicago's Avenues were abbreviated Av with no E.

I assumed Blvd were streets that truck traffic could not use like Loomis Blvd and Jeffery Blvd.  But Ashland is a Blvd between Roosevelt and the Ike but is still open to truck traffic.    Sheridan is a Rd which is mostly two lanes in each direction as is Pulaski, but Marquette Rd isn't.   

Drives also seem to prohibit truck traffic like Lake Shore Drive and Marine Drive and King Drive, but trucks use Columbus Drive.

Streets can be main streets or side streets. 

Minneapolis uses streets and Avenues with the directional on the end to differentiate the part of town you are located.  On the south side of Minneapolis,  streets run east and west with Avenues running north and south.  On the north side, Avenues run east and west most north south are streets (east) with some Avenues  west.  The difference is a lot of the streets are numbered whereas Chicago only had numbered streets on the south side and they only run east west.  

Even in New York,  some of the suffixes don't make sense. Why are streets like Gun Hill and Boston  Roads and not Avenues even though both are main thoroughfares?  Bronx River is a Pkwy but more like a truckless expressway.   Manhattan has numbered Avenues running north south and numbered Streets running east west.

Broadway does kinda remind me of New York.