Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

63rd/Dan Ryan alone has more monthly riders than all stations Indiana and south? I find that somewhat hard to believe.

The Green Line is definitely in an interesting situation. Oak Park, West Loop & South Loop basically carry the line as @Sam92 said. Laramie, Conservatory and California leaving the least-performing station list and being replaced with Oak Park & Austin speaks more to the pandemic causing more SAH work than ridership rising at those stations. The advent of the Red Line pretty much did kill the SSM. The Green Line being extended via the Skyway would actually see ridership increase, I'm sure of it, but I don't know if it would be enough to offset the cost of construction. Or whether or not the residents would want that.

If costs ever needed to be cut, it might actually be the most prudent option to close King Drive and Cottage Grove and send all trips to Ashland/63rd. Ironically, despite Halsted's underperformance, there are calls to re-open Racine and they aren't exactly quiet. And an extension to Western couldn't hurt either (maybe finally the 349 could have a L connection).

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.  I was trying to say the 63rd Red Line station has .ore boarding than the 63rd St Green Line stations (both branches combined).  With 15 minutes peak intervals and 20 minute off peak intervals and up to 30 minute intervals late night, the Red Line and 63rd bus offer more frequent and consistent service.  Even owl service on the Red line is every 15 minutes.

Western Ave does have L service.  It's the Orange Line.   From Western there are only 4 stops between Western and State/Van Buren.   No one is going to choose Green over Orange Even with a Green extension to Western.   That trip to the Orange Line is even faster during rush periods with the X49.  The station is only at 49th Pl and Western.  That's four stops on the X49 from 63rd .

The pandemic really hurt the Oak Park stop on both Green and Blue Lines.  California wasn't very busy to begin with. And CTA'S idea of a unified California bus route is a great idea.  However  they will never convince California's Blue Line riders to use the Green Line.   NEVER.

Reopening Racine might be a pipe dream.  The station would have to totally be rebuilt.  Do you de.oludh the unused repair shop?  The reason Racine wasn't reopened in the first place was because of very low ridership.   I used to ride the Racine bus to school in 1978 and hardly anyone got off at the station during rush hour.  This was when the Englewood Howard was in effect with trains running about 8 minutes apart.   We see that Kennedy King is not helping the Green Line Halsted station, which was touted when building the new KKC at the former Englewood shopping district. 

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.  I was trying to say the 63rd Red Line station has .ore boarding than the 63rd St Green Line stations (both branches combined).  With 15 minutes peak intervals and 20 minute off peak intervals and up to 30 minute intervals late night, the Red Line and 63rd bus offer more frequent and consistent service.  Even owl service on the Red line is every 15 minutes.

Western Ave does have L service.  It's the Orange Line.   From Western there are only 4 stops between Western and State/Van Buren.   No one is going to choose Green over Orange Even with a Green extension to Western.   That trip to the Orange Line is even faster during rush periods with the X49.  The station is only at 49th Pl and Western.  That's four stops on the X49 from 63rd .

The pandemic really hurt the Oak Park stop on both Green and Blue Lines.  California wasn't very busy to begin with. And CTA'S idea of a unified California bus route is a great idea.  However  they will never convince California's Blue Line riders to use the Green Line.   NEVER.

Reopening Racine might be a pipe dream.  The station would have to totally be rebuilt.  Do you de.oludh the unused repair shop?  The reason Racine wasn't reopened in the first place was because of very low ridership.   I used to ride the Racine bus to school in 1978 and hardly anyone got off at the station during rush hour.  This was when the Englewood Howard was in effect with trains running about 8 minutes apart.   We see that Kennedy King is not helping the Green Line Halsted station, which was touted when building the new KKC at the former Englewood shopping district. 

The only thing is the distance between Ashland and California on the green line, the Damien station won’t be open for another year or two and people that live around the western Ave area have to get to the California station since it’s closer to them so California is still useful despite its low ridership

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

I really like the idea of extending the Green Line to 63/Western. It would be pretty cost effective, and would be pretty key to adding transit options on the SW side. I think a Midway extension would be nice but probably not feasible. 

I also like the idea of having the Green Line run along the Skyway, then take over the ME to 93/South Chicago. 

I think then the branches could become a 63rd St line with extensions on both sides from Western to Stony Island. 

A new wye would have to be built at 59th and a transfer station at 61st.

The 63 bus is pretty busy and I think there's opportunity to reuse the L to create a crosstown line.

The two biggest hurdles would be building over the rail yard and RI flyover and fighting politically to extend the line from Cottage to  Stony Island.   The latter might be the biggest hurdle.  Of course it could use existing trackage to Prairie then use the existing Cottage Grove branch trackage which eliminates construction costs.

5 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The only thing is the distance between Ashland and California on the green line, the Damien station won’t be open for another year or two and people that live around the western Ave area have to get to the California station since it’s closer to them so California is still useful despite its low ridership

I actually think people near Western opt for a o e seat ride on east west routes along Chicago. GRAND. Madison. Jackson, or the Blue Line   

10 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I actually like the distance from California to Ashland.   It puts some rapid in rapid transit.   The buses can handle the close in territory.   I would have preferred a Pink line United Center station,  but apparently Reinsdorf and Wirtz value every parking spot by the line. Hence the Damen station.   A Western Green Line station is not Necessary.   Unfortunately only the NSM allows for express service.   New York has a few lines that offer local and express service.  

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I really like the idea of extending the Green Line to 63/Western. It would be pretty cost effective, and would be pretty key to adding transit options on the SW side. I think a Midway extension would be nice but probably not feasible. 

I also like the idea of having the Green Line run along the Skyway, then take over the ME to 93/South Chicago. 

I think then the branches could become a 63rd St line with extensions on both sides from Western to Stony Island. 

A new wye would have to be built at 59th and a transfer station at 61st.

The 63 bus is pretty busy and I think there's opportunity to reuse the L to create a crosstown line.

I was definitely in favor of the ME-SS merging with the E 63rd Green Line. And in my un-expert opinion, would be easiest to do, as all the existing infrastructure is there. The tracks would just need to be built down to the ME and then the parking lot at 63rd Metra (no clue why that station has a parking lot) can serve as a tunnel portal.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I actually like the distance from California to Ashland.   It puts some rapid in rapid transit.   The buses can handle the close in territory.   I would have preferred a Pink line United Center station,  but apparently Reinsdorf and Wirtz value every parking spot by the line. Hence the Damen station.   A Western Green Line station is not Necessary.   Unfortunately only the NSM allows for express service.   New York has a few lines that offer local and express service.  

A Madison station on the Pink Line always made more sense, and could've potentially eliminated the 19. In fact, even with the new Damen station, I still believe a Madison station would have some merit, due to the schools, senior living areas, churches, and local density within walking distance. And ofc, the United Center doesn't hurt potential ridership. As it stands with the new Damen station, I imagine there will be way more walk-up riders than people transferring to/from the 50.

Saying NYC only has a few lines is an understatement lol.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yes, but that's assuming every rider is going downtown. If your goal is to reach the near south side, you would take the Green Line. It would also be faster for riders going to Hyde Park (although yes, riders might simply opt to stay on the bus until 55th), IIT or Bronzeville. 

That's what I thought when I read the block club chicago article. Halsted is consistently in the bottom 4 stations for ridership, even with all the development surrounding the station, so what hope would Racine have with none of that? Ashland/63rd doesn't make that list because I imagine a lot of people are transferring there since Ashland Orange is so far away, and due to the fact that there's a 200+ space parking lot, but I don't think it's a whole lot busier. At Racine, I imagine more 44 riders might switch to the Green Line than 8 riders, since the Green Line would make it downtown before a 44 bus reaches Halsted station, and unlike the 8 where people can still walk and reach west loop, they can't do that on the 44. But that alone isn't going to justify reopening the station.

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yes, but that's assuming every rider is going downtown. If your goal is to reach the near south side, you would take the Green Line. It would also be faster for riders going to Hyde Park (although yes, riders might simply opt to stay on the bus until 55th), IIT or Bronzeville. 

That's what I thought when I read the block club chicago article. Halsted is consistently in the bottom 4 stations for ridership, even with all the development surrounding the station, so what hope would Racine have with none of that? Ashland/63rd doesn't make that list because I imagine a lot of people are transferring there since Ashland Orange is so far away, and due to the fact that there's a 200+ space parking lot, but I don't think it's a whole lot busier. At Racine, I imagine more 44 riders might switch to the Green Line than 8 riders, since the Green Line would make it downtown before a 44 bus reaches Halsted station, and unlike the 8 where people can still walk and reach west loop, they can't do that on the 44. But that alone isn't going to justify reopening the station.

To add to your point,  most of the ridership along the Racine corridor opt for the east west routes like 67. 75, or 79th to the Red Line.   At one time people around 74th Street would take the 44 to the Green Line but that was when he 75 didn't serve the Red Line.  The Red line currently has 7 stations between 69th and Jackson and the Green Line has 7 stations between Halsted or King Drive and Adams/Wabash 

But the perception is that the Red Line is faster,  safer, and has more frequent service.   The Green Line has move turns and more slow zones. Now maybe if the SSM had a middle track between Garfield and 35th that could carry express trains in the peak direction   maybe more riders on the branches would opt for the faster service.   I suppose the same could be done on the West Side between Cicero and Ashland 

To add to your point,  most of the ridership along the Racine corridor opt for the east west routes like 67. 75, or 79th to the Red Line.   At one time people around 74th Street would take the 44 to the Green Line but that was when he 75 didn't serve the Red Line.  The Red line currently has 7 stations between 69th and Jackson and the Green Line has 7 stations between Halsted or King Drive and Adams/Wabash 

But the perception is that the Red Line is faster,  safer, and has more frequent service.   The Green Line has move turns and more slow zones. Now maybe if the SSM had a middle track between Garfield and 35th that could carry express trains in the peak direction   maybe more riders on the branches would opt for the faster service.   I suppose the same could be done on the West Side between Cicero and Ashland 

There's no place to add a third track to the SSM, other than just north & south of 35th.  I vaguely remember the old Indiana platforms & there was room there for an extra track, but not the way they rebuilt it.

But what I never understood, was why they rebuilt the S turn at 40th St, as a double 90 degree turn & made it go up & over the abandoned railroad embankment.  It's not like any Class 1 freight trains were going to use that anymore, for the L to go over them & most of the embankment has been demolished, except for a few blocks of it intermittently. 

It should've been rebuilt similar to the reconstruction of the Harrison Curve, which is a moderate speed sweeping curve.  There was plenty of empty land at that time to use & then the rebuilt Indiana Station would've been on a 45 degree skew to Indiana Ave. & at a normal height for an L station, not one that's over 30 feet up.

1 minute ago, strictures said:

There's no place to add a third track to the SSM, other than just north & south of 35th.  I vaguely remember the old Indiana platforms & there was room there for an extra track, but not the way they rebuilt it.

But what I never understood, was why they rebuilt the S turn at 40th St, as a double 90 degree turn & made it go up & over the abandoned railroad embankment.  It's not like any Class 1 freight trains were going to use that anymore, for the L to go over them & most of the embankment has been demolished, except for a few blocks of it intermittently. 

It should've been rebuilt similar to the reconstruction of the Harrison Curve, which is a moderate speed sweeping curve.  There was plenty of empty land at that time to use & then the rebuilt Indiana Station would've been on a 45 degree skew to Indiana Ave. & at a normal height for an L station, not one that's over 30 feet up.

Going up those stairs at Indiana is quite a workout!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, strictures said:

It's the same at 18th, Paulina, Clinton/Lake & Cicero/Lake.

All are on an incline not far from overpasses too. So a few additional stairs. It's good for physical fitness. Cta riders are probably fitter than all these lazy auto drivers. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, strictures said:

It's the same at 18th, Paulina, Clinton/Lake & Cicero/Lake.

Cicero and Lake had an escalator from the station house to the mezzanine level where farms are paid.  The final stairs aren't too bad. 

CLlinton/Lake also has a mezzanine level for fare payment, so at least the climbing is broken up.  Isn't there a ramp there between the mezzanine level and the platform also?

You can add Pink Line Western, Brown Line Southport  and Blue Line Western (O'Hare branch) to the list.  Green Line 35th isn't as bad, but it and Roosevelt is higher than most stations.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Cicero and Lake had an escalator from the station house to the mezzanine level where farms are paid.  The final stairs aren't too bad. 

CLlinton/Lake also has a mezzanine level for fare payment, so at least the climbing is broken up.  Isn't there a ramp there between the mezzanine level and the platform also?

You can add Pink Line Western, Brown Line Southport  and Blue Line Western (O'Hare branch) to the list.  Green Line 35th isn't as bad, but it and Roosevelt is higher than most stations.

The ramp at Clinton/Lake is insane.  It takes you to the western end of both platforms, which is where the trains don't stop, but the CTA makes the trains stop there in the middle of the platforms, so the ten people a day who do use that long ramp, don't have to walk as far.  I always wanted to ride my bike down the ramp there.

19 minutes ago, strictures said:

The ramp at Clinton/Lake is insane.  It takes you to the western end of both platforms, which is where the trains don't stop, but the CTA makes the trains stop there in the middle of the platforms, so the ten people a day who do use that long ramp, don't have to walk as far.  I always wanted to ride my bike down the ramp there.

Actually the 6 car WB trains do stop at the westernmost end

What I don't understand is why there isn't a separate 6 car marker at Green Line stations?  Most stations have the 4 car market in the ce6of the station. But the 6 car market is where the 8 car market is at the end of the platform rather than between the 4 and 8 markers

When 4 car consists were running, it was easy to board at stations like Indiana. 35th. STATE/Lake. PUlaki (

WHEN 6 car trains are running. You have to walk or run a couple of car lengths to get to the last car.  State and Lake was problematic because it forced all the Green Line riders to clog up the platform by the turnstiles or wait in the elements on one end of the station.  It wouldn’t make sense to wIt on the other end of the platform when you know the only cars stopping on that end are the 8 car Brown or Orange Line trains.   On the EB platform it's worse because you have the same problem with Purple line trains and the 4 car Pink line trains stop at the middle of the stations as well.  Yes State and Lake is old. Antiquated  and poorly designed, but you have a better chance of spreading the crowd more evenly if the 6 car trains could berth at its own market and not at the 8 car marker.  

At least the pandemic eased the crowding there. 

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

People really think the Red Line is safer than the Green Line? I and my family haven’t thought that ever. Sure, under the 63rd stations, especially E 63rd is dicey, but the line itself and the platforms have always seemed fine, mostly because they’re under-used. Even now, I’ll take the 3 to Garfield instead of the 75 to 79th, because Garfield is leagues safer than 79th. To me, the only dangerous thing about the Green Line is waiting for a train at 35th when it’s windy

9 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

People really think the Red Line is safer than the Green Line? I and my family haven’t thought that ever. Sure, under the 63rd stations, especially E 63rd is dicey, but the line itself and the platforms have always seemed fine, mostly because they’re under-used. Even now, I’ll take the 3 to Garfield instead of the 75 to 79th, because Garfield is leagues safer than 79th. To me, the only dangerous thing about the Green Line is waiting for a train at 35th when it’s windy

Because there are more people around on the Red, people will tend to think they are safer though we know crowds can offer criminals to blend in and slip away.  With sparse crowds and relatively empty platforms,  criminals have unimpeded paths to quickly escape. Especially at night when rhe dark or night and plenty of vacant lots can not only be getaways  but also the platforms and vacant lots can offer cover for crimes to be committed there as well.  The Dan Ryan Red Line stations offer more lighting than any Green Line station.  Honestly. I think the North Side Red Line stations are more dicey than the South Side ones.

The other thing is that the SSM and branches have always been perceived as more dangerous since the Dan Ryan Line opened in 1969.  Englewood and Woodlawn and Washington Heights were perceived bad neighborhoods.  Englewood was and still is bad since I grew up there.  Redction in frequency of service with the route switches didn't help the situation any.  The SSM also really didn't get new equipment until the 5000s while the Dan Ryan always had newer equipment.  Although I tend to be watchful on all lines, my antennas are highest on the Green line  followed by the Blue Line and the Red Line.  The Pink Line isn't a bed of roses either.

20 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Because there are more people around on the Red, people will tend to think they are safer though we know crowds can offer criminals to blend in and slip away.  With sparse crowds and relatively empty platforms,  criminals have unimpeded paths to quickly escape. Especially at night when rhe dark or night and plenty of vacant lots can not only be getaways  but also the platforms and vacant lots can offer cover for crimes to be committed there as well.  The Dan Ryan Red Line stations offer more lighting than any Green Line station.  Honestly. I think the North Side Red Line stations are more dicey than the South Side ones.

The other thing is that the SSM and branches have always been perceived as more dangerous since the Dan Ryan Line opened in 1969.  Englewood and Woodlawn and Washington Heights were perceived bad neighborhoods.  Englewood was and still is bad since I grew up there.  Redction in frequency of service with the route switches didn't help the situation any.  The SSM also really didn't get new equipment until the 5000s while the Dan Ryan always had newer equipment.  Although I tend to be watchful on all lines, my antennas are highest on the Green line  followed by the Blue Line and the Red Line.  The Pink Line isn't a bed of roses either.

I've always thought the Dan Ryan branch has been bad since I was a child, but I agree with the north side stations potentially being more dicey, as you say. While I've had my own bad experiences with 79th, the day my mother stopped working at Hull House, she never returned to Wilson and Lawrence stations after that. She only just went back to Wilson upon moving back earlier this year, despite the both of us visiting 3-4 times a year since she moved us away. She doesn't have any particular story, but she hated waiting at those stations, especially when I was with her. In fact, I don't think she's been back to Lawrence since 2008.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The reason the north end of the red line if more dicey is because them people think that they are too good for shit to happen to them but its harder to get away that ways cuz 12 actually protects & service there cuz they are rich white people where on the Dan Ryan sude they are just there to keep us from leaking into the other parts of the city 

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've always thought the Dan Ryan branch has been bad since I was a child, but I agree with the north side stations potentially being more dicey, as you say. While I've had my own bad experiences with 79th, the day my mother stopped working at Hull House, she never returned to Wilson and Lawrence stations after that. She only just went back to Wilson upon moving back earlier this year, despite the both of us visiting 3-4 times a year since she moved us away. She doesn't have any particular story, but she hated waiting at those stations, especially when I was with her. In fact, I don't think she's been back to Lawrence since 2008.

Honestly as far as Dan Ryan vs SSM both are equally dangerous but at least using the red line and a bus connecting to it will get you the hell out of a hot zone quicker than the green. Not only does the red line run more often buses that connect to it right more often too. Just like people in lake view out to choose a 140 or red line for whatever is quickest we are doing the same it’s jsut the people that are minding their own business and going to work but live in a shady area want the option that leaves them standing on a corner for the LEAST amount of time as possible which is probably why 3 and 4 are so strong. They run waaaaay more frequently than the green line no matter what time of day and also go to downtown. That’s probably why people who say leave the green with just one branch prefer sending greens to Ashland; 3, 4 and red are close by and go to the same areas whereas the Ashland branch requires an extra transfer to get downtown if you totally eliminate SSM

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The reason the north end of the red line if more dicey is because them people think that they are too good for shit to happen to them but its harder to get away that ways cuz 12 actually protects & service there cuz they are rich white people where on the Dan Ryan sude they are just there to keep us from leaking into the other parts of the city 

While there are areas where there are rich white people. I assure you there are plenty of poor Black and White in Uptown ( think Wilson, Lawrence,  Argyle) and Rogers Park (Jarvis and Howard). Sheridan and Granville aren't the best places to catch a train either.  Even higher profits stations like Belmont and Fullerton  and Addison have had notable incidents.   So I don't subscribe to your theory.  However since DePaul,  Wrigley,  Truman,  and Loyola are on the North Side Red and GRF and Chinatown are on the South side Red, those are high profile stations that requires a heavier police presence. 

• Upvote 1

Have y'all witness a driver that came to work drunk see I'm not really with that snitching but I had to turn this driver in he showed up to work stumbling in the parking lot while I was pulling in & when I walked in the garage I seen him over at the booth getting a run so I walked over there just to ask him was he on he said yea I smelled the liqor pouring off of him couldnt let him go out like that hurt or kill somebody so I went to a supervisor & she pulled his ass 

4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

While there are areas where there are rich white people. I assure you there are plenty of poor Black and White in Uptown ( think Wilson, Lawrence,  Argyle) and Rogers Park (Jarvis and Howard). Sheridan and Granville aren't the best places to catch a train either.  Even higher profits stations like Belmont and Fullerton  and Addison have had notable incidents.   So I don't subscribe to your theory.  However since DePaul,  Wrigley,  Truman,  and Loyola are on the North Side Red and GRF and Chinatown are on the South side Red, those are high profile stations that requires a heavier police presence. 

I'm just saying that ita more rich up there then poor yea they do have their issues but the police be there quick af