Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The suffixes here can be confusing.   Pulaski was originally Crawford before being renamed.  But was it Crawford Av?  Once upon a time. Chicago's Avenues were abbreviated Av with no E.

I assumed Blvd were streets that truck traffic could not use like Loomis Blvd and Jeffery Blvd.  But Ashland is a Blvd between Roosevelt and the Ike but is still open to truck traffic.    Sheridan is a Rd which is mostly two lanes in each direction as is Pulaski, but Marquette Rd isn't.   

Drives also seem to prohibit truck traffic like Lake Shore Drive and Marine Drive and King Drive, but trucks use Columbus Drive.

Streets can be main streets or side streets. 

Minneapolis uses streets and Avenues with the directional on the end to differentiate the part of town you are located.  On the south side of Minneapolis,  streets run east and west with Avenues running north and south.  On the north side, Avenues run east and west most north south are streets (east) with some Avenues  west.  The difference is a lot of the streets are numbered whereas Chicago only had numbered streets on the south side and they only run east west.  

Even in New York,  some of the suffixes don't make sense. Why are streets like Gun Hill and Boston  Roads and not Avenues even though both are main thoroughfares?  Bronx River is a Pkwy but more like a truckless expressway.   Manhattan has numbered Avenues running north south and numbered Streets running east west.

Broadway does kinda remind me of New York.

The Brennan Plan, which renumbered Chicago street addresses, also was to change their suffixes & even many names.  Edward Brennan wanted N/S streets to be Avenues & Courts.  E/W street were to be Streets & Places.  You see the first in Cicero, which never changed the numbered Avenues & Courts to names & the second on the South Side.  Brennan is the one who renamed the N/S number streets starting with 40th Ave. & going west.  40th Ave. became Crawford Ave. & then a mile of "K" streets, then a mile of "L" streets, a mile of "M" streets, a mile of "N" streets, a mile of "O" streets & then some "P" streets.   

For some reason, the C&NW railroad, called its engine shop west of Crawford, "40th Street".

He also wanted to rename most of the rest of the city streets east of Crawford in the same manner, from "A" to "J".  Brennan Ave on the South East Side is at 2300 East, which is where the "B" streets would've been if his full plan had happened.  But it was too complicated & people didn't their streets renamed.

As for NYC, the street numbering in N/S Manhattan streets is insane!

11 minutes ago, strictures said:

The Brennan Plan, which renumbered Chicago street addresses, also was to change their suffixes & even many names.  Edward Brennan wanted N/S streets to be Avenues & Courts.  E/W street were to be Streets & Places.  You see the first in Cicero, which never changed the numbered Avenues & Courts to names & the second on the South Side.  Brennan is the one who renamed the N/S number streets starting with 40th Ave. & going west.  40th Ave. became Crawford Ave. & then a mile of "K" streets, then a mile of "L" streets, a mile of "M" streets, a mile of "N" streets, a mile of "O" streets & then some "P" streets.   

For some reason, the C&NW railroad, called its engine shop west of Crawford, "40th Street".

He also wanted to rename most of the rest of the city streets east of Crawford in the same manner, from "A" to "J".  Brennan Ave on the South East Side is at 2300 East, which is where the "B" streets would've been if his full plan had happened.  But it was too complicated & people didn't their streets renamed.

As for NYC, the street numbering in N/S Manhattan streets is insane!

I read about that plan which actually was to start at the Indiana State Line.   The Bs were to start at 3200E, C at 2400E, D st 1600E, E at 800 E, F west of State, G at 800 W, H at 1600 W I at 2400W and J at 3209W, which aligns perfectly with what happens west of Pulaski.  Some street names within each aforementioned zone do follow that pattern. For instance streets east if Stony Island but west of Yates include Cornell, Cregier. Constance, Chapoel, Clyde. and Crandon. D streets west of Stony Island but east of Cottage Grove include Drexel, Dauphin, Dante, and Dorchester.   H streets west of Ashland and east of Western include Hermitage, Honore, Hoyne. 

Most of the streets east of Brandon  (3200E) got alphabet names but for some reason stopped at Avenue O.  Perhaps that's because O is the last letter to follow the plan with Pacific Avenue  (8800W) being the westernmost street in Chicago proper, excluding O'Hara airport. 

Maybe you  an tell us more, but it looked like a similar pattern was trying to get implemented north of Irving Park with some B streets  and some C streets north of Lawrence.  Apparently that never really took root.  The numbered Aves west of Stars actually made better sense and actually is like the pattern Minneapolis uses except their numbered Avenues are east of Nicollet  as opposed to ours being west of State.  

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Manhattan has numbered Avenues running north south and numbered Streets running east west.

I've always felt it's hard to get confused since they differentiate btwn ave and street and once you get past 12-higher, it can only be a street (at least in Manhattan)

38 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've always felt it's hard to get confused since they differentiate btwn ave and street and once you get past 12-higher, it can only be a street (at least in Manhattan)

Plus the "numbered " Avenues in Manhattan are spelled out as in Fifth Avenue as opposed to  5th Ave 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I read about that plan which actually was to start at the Indiana State Line.   The Bs were to start at 3200E, C at 2400E, D st 1600E, E at 800 E, F west of State, G at 800 W, H at 1600 W I at 2400W and J at 3209W, which aligns perfectly with what happens west of Pulaski.  Some street names within each aforementioned zone do follow that pattern. For instance streets east if Stony Island but west of Yates include Cornell, Cregier. Constance, Chapoel, Clyde. and Crandon. D streets west of Stony Island but east of Cottage Grove include Drexel, Dauphin, Dante, and Dorchester.   H streets west of Ashland and east of Western include Hermitage, Honore, Hoyne. 

Most of the streets east of Brandon  (3200E) got alphabet names but for some reason stopped at Avenue O.  Perhaps that's because O is the last letter to follow the plan with Pacific Avenue  (8800W) being the westernmost street in Chicago proper, excluding O'Hara airport. 

Maybe you  an tell us more, but it looked like a similar pattern was trying to get implemented north of Irving Park with some B streets  and some C streets north of Lawrence.  Apparently that never really took root.  The numbered Aves west of Stars actually made better sense and actually is like the pattern Minneapolis uses except their numbered Avenues are east of Nicollet  as opposed to ours being west of State.  

There are some really weird street naming plans.  For example, the E/W streets from Bryn Mawr to Devon are named after train stations on the Philadelphia Main Line.  

9 hours ago, strictures said:

There are some really weird street naming plans.  For example, the E/W streets from Bryn Mawr to Devon are named after train stations on the Philadelphia Main Line.  

Least we didn’t end up with the cta renumbering scheme. Lol

49 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Least we didn’t end up with the cta renumbering scheme. Lol

You mean the Frank Krueso one,? The north south routes and the West and north side east west routes would've been renumbered according to their main streets?  For instance,  Lawrence would've been renumbered 48 and Foster 52.  Halsted would've retained the 8. But Cottage Grove would've been renumbered 108.   I have no clue what number Sheridan would've received 

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You mean the Frank Krueso one,? The north south routes and the West and north side east west routes would've been renumbered according to their main streets?  For instance,  Lawrence would've been renumbered 48 and Foster 52.  Halsted would've retained the 8. But Cottage Grove would've been renumbered 108.   I have no clue what number Sheridan would've received 

Yeah that one. We already have an organized scheme to be honest. Notice 70-84 buses are all in order from north ave to Peterson, 27, 28, 30, 34 all on the south East, 3 and 4 are the run 2 main streets adjacently, 8 and 9 are in order as key routes but if you counted support Racine breaks that by being 44

44 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah that one. We already have an organized scheme to be honest. Notice 70-84 buses are all in order from north ave to Peterson, 27, 28, 30, 34 all on the south East, 3 and 4 are the run 2 main streets adjacently, 8 and 9 are in order as key routes but if you counted support Racine breaks that by being 44

Actually Racine was a part of a pattern.   If you start with the former 42 Halsted/Archer then the next one is the 44 Wallace/Racine.   That was followed by the former 45 Ashland/Archer.  Western had the 49. Then Damen was the 50, with S Damen getting the 48.  Kedzie has the 52, Pulaski the 53, Cicero the 54 , and Laramie the 57. The diagonal NE and SW got 58A Ogden/Randolph,  60 Blue Island/26 and Archer gad the 61 Archer/Franklin Express, 62 Archer and 62 Archer Express.

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Actually Racine was a part of a pattern.   If you start with the former 42 Halsted/Archer then the next one is the 44 Wallace/Racine.   That was followed by the former 45 Ashland/Archer.  Western had the 49. Then Damen was the 50, with S Damen getting the 48.  Kedzie has the 52, Pulaski the 53, Cicero the 54 , and Laramie the 57. The diagonal NE and SW got 58A Ogden/Randolph,  60 Blue Island/26 and Archer gad the 61 Archer/Franklin Express, 62 Archer and 62 Archer Express.

Yeah whatever kurusei planned sounds mor complicated 

13 hours ago, strictures said:

Wow, I live not too far from the Main Line and I just realized... Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Thorndale, Devon, Ardmore, wow

15 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I had 1206 on the 82 today & that mf got a bent frame it rode crooked af I felt it I was like 1206 beed to be retired soon this bus then seen better days

What is Kedzie doing to the #1200s? I've seen them emit a lot of black smoke and become more sluggish

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

What is Kedzie doing to the #1200s? I've seen them emit a lot of black smoke and become more sluggish

Yes something was happening to them, and i listened to a couple of recordings of 1240 that was posted last year from that bus driver who used bodycameras to record around the bus but was taken down in the winter. Thing with 1240 was one day that bus sounded healthy but when that same driver drove the very same bus a few days later, the bus started sounding sick and needed to be repaired. Wow Kedzie is torturing the 12xx's more than the other buses they kept for years.  

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Yes something was happening to them, and i listened to a couple of recordings of 1240 that was posted last year from that bus driver who used bodycameras to record around the bus but was taken down in the winter. Thing with 1240 was one day that bus sounded healthy but when that same driver drove the very same bus a few days later, the bus started sounding sick and needed to be repaired. Wow Kedzie is torturing the 12xx's more than the other buses they kept for years.  

Yeah, whatever they're doing over there the #1200s seem to be fine enough to stay out of SS but I do wonder if and when they do return to 77th how will they operate.

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

whatever happened to that dude i loved his videos

41 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah, whatever they're doing over there the #1200s seem to be fine enough to stay out of SS but I do wonder if and when they do return to 77th how will they operate.

All that expressway milage can’t be good. Y’all ever notice it’s always K, 103rd and NP with these issues? 

3 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

The buses is showing their age after 14 years many garages & god knows how many drivers