Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

https://www.transit.dot.gov/about/news/us-department-transportation-announces-182-million-grants-expand-low-or-no-emission

CTA will be getting new electric buses, and I imagine the upgrades described in the article will be going to 103rd garage. No clue as to the manufacturer yet, but if 103rd is getting upgraded, I imagine the 29 will be the next route with electric buses.

12 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

https://www.transit.dot.gov/about/news/us-department-transportation-announces-182-million-grants-expand-low-or-no-emission

CTA will be getting new electric buses, and I imagine the upgrades described in the article will be going to 103rd garage. No clue as to the manufacturer yet, but if 103rd is getting upgraded, I imagine the 29 will be the next route with electric buses.

Im sure 74th is the one getting upgrades considering all the talks of midway and other things 

3 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Im sure 74th is the one getting upgrades considering all the talks of midway and other things 

I wouldn't bet on it. The language they used, especially with the "reducing greenhouse gases in areas that experienced air pollution and other environmental health hazards", 103rd fits that bill more than any other garage. And personally, 74th isn't really "southside", I'd call that southwest. We'll see when a bid is put out.

Edit: unless I'm misreading and two separate purchases are being made, one set of buses and charging equipment and then a separate set of charging equipment, in which case, I'd say 74th does get some charging equipment. If not, it's all going to 103rd

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I wouldn't bet on it. The language they used, especially with the "reducing greenhouse gases in areas that experienced air pollution and other environmental health hazards", 103rd fits that bill more than any other garage. And personally, 74th isn't really "southside", I'd call that southwest. We'll see when a bid is put out.

Edit: unless I'm misreading and two separate purchases are being made, one set of buses and charging equipment and then a separate set of charging equipment, in which case, I'd say 74th does get some charging equipment. If not, it's all going to 103rd

74th isn’t south west it’s jsut the only place left to handle the southwest routes archer left behind.  I’m not saying either of us is right till the contract comes out BUT  all this talk prior to this about set ups at midway and 63rd it’s gotta be 74th seeing as that’s who handles the service. 

It would seem that 74th would get new electric buses before 103rd.  Midway would be the primary reason as 74th operates every route through the station except the 54B. 74th can also operate electrics on the 48, 75, and 94  with 2 of the routes essentially terminating at the garage. But I think 63rd will be the primary route for the electrics.  The only question is will CTA build a charging station on the east end of the route?

103rd had the 15, 26, 28, and 106 that originate and terminate at the garage  and certainly is a viable option for electrics.  With the 26 and 28 being downtown routes, that is an attractive way to showcase the new buses. I also believe Union Station was in line for a charging station.  At the end of the day,  I think CTA has already committed to 74th based on the Midway charging stations  

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Any & all drivers watch out for this YouTuber he may just snitch on you a driver doing everything that 90% of all driver does idk if he complained on this driver but just giving everyone a heads up 

He knows nothing about defensive driving and edited that video to hide the fact he was instigating with the bus.  He could've easily passed the bus if he really wanted to but just doing it for the views and to make CTA look bad.  Just read the comments.

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It would seem that 74th would get new electric buses before 103rd.  Midway would be the primary reason as 74th operates every route through the station except the 54B. 74th can also operate electrics on the 48, 75, and 94  with 2 of the routes essentially terminating at the garage. But I think 63rd will be the primary route for the electrics.  The only question is will CTA build a charging station on the east end of the route?

103rd had the 15, 26, 28, and 106 that originate and terminate at the garage  and certainly is a viable option for electrics.  With the 26 and 28 being downtown routes, that is an attractive way to showcase the new buses. I also believe Union Station was in line for a charging station.  At the end of the day,  I think CTA has already committed to 74th based on the Midway charging stations  

18 hours ago, Sam92 said:

74th isn’t south west it’s jsut the only place left to handle the southwest routes archer left behind.  I’m not saying either of us is right till the contract comes out BUT  all this talk prior to this about set ups at midway and 63rd it’s gotta be 74th seeing as that’s who handles the service. 

My hesitance to say it's going to 74th is because there's been no charger built at east 63rd. The 66 has a charger at both Austin and Navy Pier. Not that the electrics can't run with only 1 charger, but the fact that they haven't built that yet, while all the other 3 chargers were built at the same time is concerning. What I also figure is that since CTA doesn't own any property to build a charger on east 63rd, they'd have to come to an agreement with the city. Thus, 103rd is the more likely target, since it would be easy to build a charger at the 29's bay at 95th, and the Navy Pier charger already exists. The 29 is also a highly visible route, especially with tourists, compared to the 63. And again, the language surrounding the grant leads me to believe its 103rd. Also, I consider everything west of Ashland and north of 87th to be southwest Chicago, which is why I consider 74th to be a SW garage (although that has no bearing on the situation, just my personal opinion)

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My hesitance to say it's going to 74th is because there's been no charger built at east 63rd. The 66 has a charger at both Austin and Navy Pier. Not that the electrics can't run with only 1 charger, but the fact that they haven't built that yet, while all the other 3 chargers were built at the same time is concerning. What I also figure is that since CTA doesn't own any property to build a charger on east 63rd, they'd have to come to an agreement with the city. Thus, 103rd is the more likely target, since it would be easy to build a charger at the 29's bay at 95th, and the Navy Pier charger already exists. The 29 is also a highly visible route, especially with tourists, compared to the 63. And again, the language surrounding the grant leads me to believe its 103rd. Also, I consider everything west of Ashland and north of 87th to be southwest Chicago, which is why I consider 74th to be a SW garage (although that has no bearing on the situation, just my personal opinion)

Ok but there’s been talks of chargers at midway and 63 isn’t the only route at midway. 103rd was never bought up until yesterday we have ALWAYS been discussing 74th being involved using a route out of midway along with Chicago running 66 with them. 

Just now, Sam92 said:

Ok but there’s been talks of chargers at midway and 63 isn’t the only route at midway. 103rd was never bought up until yesterday we have ALWAYS been discussing 74th being involved using a route out of midway along with Chicago running 66 with them. 

And until I read about the grant, I didn't have any reason to think otherwise. The language of the grant leads me to believe 103rd is in the running, but I've never said it was a sure outcome. I also said that it might be divvied up between both, with chargers to 74th and chargers and buses to 103rd. 

The 63 isn't the only bus at Midway, but it's the only one we've been talking about in regards to electric buses. Anything else has always been speculation.

13 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And until I read about the grant, I didn't have any reason to think otherwise. The language of the grant leads me to believe 103rd is in the running, but I've never said it was a sure outcome. I also said that it might be divvied up between both, with chargers to 74th and chargers and buses to 103rd. 

The 63 isn't the only bus at Midway, but it's the only one we've been talking about in regards to electric buses. Anything else has always been speculation.

The language says south side garage and 74th which has always been discussed is a south side garage. South west would be a hypothetical garage around kedzie lol. Heck if anything it could also include 77th with that logic but technically it lines up more with 74th since it’s a south side garage that was speculated for the longest. Now if it said “southeast” garage then of course the language THEN would put the target on 103rd but “south” can apply to 3 garages 

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Any & all drivers watch out for this YouTuber he may just snitch on you a driver doing everything that 90% of all driver does idk if he complained on this driver but just giving everyone a heads up

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

He knows nothing about defensive driving and edited that video to hide the fact he was instigating with the bus.  He could've easily passed the bus if he really wanted to but just doing it for the views and to make CTA look bad.  Just read the comments.

Mans probably not even from chicago 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

The language says south side garage and 74th which has always been discussed is a south side garage. South west would be a hypothetical garage around kedzie lol. Heck if anything it could also include 77th with that logic but technically it lines up more with 74th since it’s a south side garage that was speculated for the longest. Now if it said “southeast” garage then of course the language THEN would put the target on 103rd but “south” can apply to 3 garages 

Then we'll agree to disagree lol. Like I've said, I've never really considered 74th "only" south, that's always been over west for me. And again, It's not like I'm making it out to be that 74th is out of the running, just that 103rd is in play now, mostly because no further work has been done to advance electric buses after the charger at midway. CTA's lack of action has basically just means that 74th isn't a sure-fire thing

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

He needs to tell the truth. “I feel like this bus cut me off even though from the beginning he signaled and I chose to race him in a place where the road narrows”. I know I’m not the only persin that can see that and it’s best to just let the bus make that move especially when you’re dumb enough to hang in the kill zone of a large vehicle. I guess he forgot the fundamental “if you can’t see my mirror I can’t see you” rule 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Policeman said:

Mans probably not even from chicago 

Not to worry theres plenty of cameras on the bus. CTA knows who did what. That's how it is by me. Theres so much being tracked by computer. Your speed, your stops, your opening and closing of doors, your gps., your braking. Your acceleration, your idling. By me they rank you by how the computer catches things you do.  The computer has busted me more than any human. All the safety managers walk around with computers now. It's really weird. Just this week got busted on a post trip that was too short by 17 seconds!! I was like really!! They claim your cant idle over 3 minutes by me, but they want you to have a 6 minute pre trip. So what you have to pre trip with the bus offf??? Ahh computers gotta love em, but sometimes you gotta hate them. 

23 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

They have been pushing for 63rd, so hands down that will be the second route. But remember when they first started talking about electric buses. They said they wanted them on #29, #124, #22 a few others so I'd be looking for all those garages and routes to be next in line. If FG got a charger and they would probably be last, the #56 would be a good candidate even the #77 or #81. Routes that run late have alot of demand make good candidates. 

You know how they were saying the #66 got 5 chargers. I think they are counting 2 at the terminals and one at the garage. 

Biden may bring forth a big federal bill that will enable electric bus transit on a bigger scale. That's really the only way to be all electric by 2040. 

16 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Not to worry theres plenty of cameras on the bus. CTA knows who did what. That's how it is by me. Theres so much being tracked by computer. Your speed, your stops, your opening and closing of doors, your gps., your braking. Your acceleration, your idling. By me they rank you by how the computer catches things you do.  The computer has busted me more than any human. All the safety managers walk around with computers now. It's really weird. Just this week got busted on a post trip that was too short by 17 seconds!! I was like really!! They claim your cant idle over 3 minutes by me, but they want you to have a 6 minute pre trip. So what you have to pre trip with the bus offf??? Ahh computers gotta love em, but sometimes you gotta hate them. 

Maaaaan grubhubs system been on drugs. I got warnings for delivering too fast, slow down now I’m suspended for slow delivery times lmao

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

He needs to tell the truth. “I feel like this bus cut me off even though from the beginning he signaled and I chose to race him in a place where the road narrows”. I know I’m not the only persin that can see that and it’s best to just let the bus make that move especially when you’re dumb enough to hang in the kill zone of a large vehicle. I guess he forgot the fundamental “if you can’t see my mirror I can’t see you” rule 

His response to everything in the comments was hilarious. Basically kept saying "where is it written". It won't matter where it's written if you end up in an accident with the bus. My grandmother told my mother this and my mother told me, the bus and train always win.

Just now, NewFlyerMCI said:

His response to everything in the comments was hilarious. Basically kept saying "where is it written". It won't matter where it's written if you end up in an accident with the bus. My grandmother told my mother this and my mother told me, the bus and train always win.

Hanging in the kill zone was the biggest joke and it ALWAYS HAPPENED where the road narrows. Like so was the bus supposed to slam the brakes or hop the curb Jsut cause you wanna be petty? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sam92 said:

Hanging in the kill zone was the biggest joke and it ALWAYS HAPPENED where the road narrows. Like so was the bus supposed to slam the brakes or hop the curb Jsut cause you wanna be petty? 

It's the same thing I try to tell people when driving around the bus drivers in Philly. Even if the driver is doing something wrong (and that's usually rare, I'd even go so far as to say they might have the best drivers in the nation), you being petty in response does nothing, and it really does nothing if you end up in an accident, because now your car is totaled and for what? You'll be on that same bus trying to get to work now lol

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

32 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Thank you. I had to roast him on his so called statutes and rules of the road, sometimes common sense and logic will outshine  all of that hand written stuff. 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

I used to drive buses.  I know for a fact m, whenever I left a curb and signaled to merge,  cars SPED up because they didn't want to be "stuck" behind it bus. If there were cars behind that car, they followed suit, and getting in was very hard.  Even if moving traffic, signaling a lane change  caused cars to speed up.   Sometimes I had to force the issue.  Most people would relent, albeit angrily,  but obviously u was prepared for those super aggressive people who would risk accidents to get in front of me 

As a dispatcher, I received many calls from people who said that they were cut off by a bus, but when I spoke with the driver, it was always the car that was the aggressor trying to get in front of me bus.  I wish there were side and rear mounted cameras that showed the aggressive nature of these cars.

Here's the irony.   The number one reason people are buying cars is that buses are too slow.  But the more cars on the road, the slower buses become.  If buses have to yield to all traffic,  only the destitute will ride l

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I think the 3 minute idling rule is a law within the city limits.  It was passed because high rise residents downtown complained about exhaust fumes coming into their apartments from idling buses.  Now we know CTA buses don't obey that law.  And it's stupid to impose this rule on a driver at the garage unless said garage is in a residential area.   If it is in an industrial or commercial area,  that shouldnt matter.

36 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

As a dispatcher, I received many calls from people who said that they were cut off by a bus, but when I spoke with the driver, it was always the car that was the aggressor trying to get in front of me bus.  I wish there were side and rear mounted cameras that showed the aggressive nature of these cars.

Only bus i know that has side camera's is 4051