Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well lets look at the past week of service and see then because today 6 buses during off peak was the normal average for the 28 and then during peak rush was around 9-10 buses. The drop-off didn't occur until after 7:30 tonight. Now most of the trips on the 28 are pull-ins so it does throw off the balance for overall headways for NB service but usually the 28 has 12-16 min headways that gradually increase after peak rush service has concluded same goes for the 15 as well in some aspects. The J14 does help compliment the lack of service up to 67th Street which eventually gets turned over to the 6. now I know most riders are trying go northwest bound towards Woodlawn, Washington Park and Hyde Park so I see where the major gaps occur after that point but even then who wants to transfer to multiple bus lines just to get to the same location without waiting a long period of time. Makes me wish CTA could restructure routes out of 103rd in and around the South Shore/Hyde Park corridors.

This is something I've said for a minute; I don't know what the actual solution is, but it shouldn't be easier nor almost the same amount of time for me to get downtown than to get to Hyde Park. Leaving my house, I can be at or around 47th St on the Red, Green or J14 by the time the 15, 28 or 55 will have gotten me to Hyde Park. Makes no sense, and yet happens almost every time. When I need to go to like the FedEx store or things like that, I'm almost always better off going downtown

15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This is something I've said for a minute; I don't know what the actual solution is, but it shouldn't be easier nor almost the same amount of time for me to get downtown than to get to Hyde Park. Leaving my house, I can be at or around 47th St on the Red, Green or J14 by the time the 15, 28 or 55 will have gotten me to Hyde Park. Makes no sense, and yet happens almost every time. When I need to go to like the FedEx store or things like that, I'm almost always better off going downtown

I can only imagine why service is like this for the 6 and J14 but then I see this and then I'm like that's not a surprise. Seeing mass amounts of buses at the end of the line on those two routes leave me to believe some operators are running hot. Now as far as the local routes are concerned the 15 and 28 could be modified into something greater than what they truly are right now. The 51 should be reinstated going EB past the red line to 50th and LSD which is where the 172 currently layover is at. The 15 is a tricky one though because of the limited layover space in Hyde Park in general. I don't know if having it continue down the current routing with the 51 to the Red line helps or having go down 51st Street to Drexel square to Layover. I would keep the 28 the same and beef up service by a few minutes each way. 

south shore 3.png

south shore 2.jpg

south shore.png

15 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This absolutely makes sense.  LSD is much like an expressway.  Going 45mph nonstop is going to be quicker going downtown than a lot of local routes.  The difference between the North Side and the South side is the proximity of Red Line service to LSD.   

THE  South Shore area has historically been connected to the Hyde Park area.  Before 1982 , all Jeffery Express service went through Hyde Park  as there was no 14. Rhe 2003 restructuring happened because the 14 was very popular as was the 6, but the busiest portion of the 6 was Hyde Park,  but to operate the full route with the frequency that only was needed in Hyde Park was inefficient.   There was still a market for Jeffery to Hyde Park (mainly Kenwood students)so to switch that to a local service made sense.   The only way to spend up Jeffery to Hyde Park service would be to run the 15 through Jackson Park ( pre 1982 6 Jeffery Express), but you lose transfers to 63rd and 59 at 60th.  

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I can only imagine why service is like this for the 6 and J14 but then I see this and then I'm like that's not a surprise. Seeing mass amounts of buses at the end of the line on those two routes leave me to believe some operators are running hot. Now as far as the local routes are concerned the 15 and 28 could be modified into something greater than what they truly are right now. The 51 should be reinstated going EB past the red line to 50th and LSD which is where the 172 currently layover is at. The 15 is a tricky one though because of the limited layover space in Hyde Park in general. I don't know if having it continue down the current routing with the 51 to the Red line helps or having go down 51st Street to Drexel square to Layover. I would keep the 28 the same and beef up service by a few minutes each way. 

south shore 3.png

south shore 2.jpg

south shore.png

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I know this sounds crazy BUT. Use 28 as the new Hyde park express by running artics on the route and halving the frequency south of 63rd (7-8 min/14-15 min peak, 8-10min/16-20 min off peak). Make 30 a replacement for riders going from south shore to Hyde park and end at 47th and lake park since 28 is not longer using that spot. 15 you can’t do anything about, it connects to too much, Jeffery is a long choke point.(Maybe you can send the new 30 to 47th red line and cut 15 to Lake Park to keep the Jeffery Hyde Park connection but increase reliability) The 6 will reroute to Union station and operate rush periods only between union Station and same routing through Hyde park but terminate along the southern part of U of C along Midway Plaisance. J14 swaps north terminals with 26 (127 gets revived for Muesum campus reverse peak service and interlines with whatever 26s aren’t tied to a 192) and gets 146 type crowd control (wacker to 83rd and vice versa) in the peak direction

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

This absolutely makes sense.  LSD is much like an expressway.  Going 45mph nonstop is going to be quicker going downtown than a lot of local routes.  The difference between the North Side and the South side is the proximity of Red Line service to LSD.   

THE  South Shore area has historically been connected to the Hyde Park area.  Before 1982 , all Jeffery Express service went through Hyde Park  as there was no 14. Rhe 2003 restructuring happened because the 14 was very popular as was the 6, but the busiest portion of the 6 was Hyde Park,  but to operate the full route with the frequency that only was needed in Hyde Park was inefficient.   There was still a market for Jeffery to Hyde Park (mainly Kenwood students)so to switch that to a local service made sense.   The only way to spend up Jeffery to Hyde Park service would be to run the 15 through Jackson Park ( pre 1982 6 Jeffery Express), but you lose transfers to 63rd and 59 at 60th.  

In a car, it's always faster going from my house to Hyde Park, than my house to downtown. By the time we've driven to the Dan, we're halfway to Hyde Park in my experience. That's not the case for transit, which is the part that's perennially surprising to me.

Times like this, I'd really like data on route to route transfers. I wouldn't have assumed 15 to 63 or 59 was a big or even substantial market, since anyone heading to the train would've taken a route that already goes E-W or simply stayed on the 15, in my mind. East 63rd isn't as much of a commercial corridor anymore either.

10 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I know this sounds crazy BUT. Use 28 as the new Hyde park express by running artics on the route and halving the frequency south of 63rd (7-8 min/14-15 min peak, 8-10min/16-20 min off peak). Make 30 a replacement for riders going from south shore to Hyde park and end at 47th and lake park since 28 is not longer using that spot. 15 you can’t do anything about, it connects to too much, Jeffery is a long choke point.(Maybe you can send the new 30 to 47th red line and cut 15 to Lake Park to keep the Jeffery Hyde Park connection but increase reliability) The 6 will reroute to Union station and operate rush periods only between union Station and same routing through Hyde park but terminate along the southern part of U of C along Midway Plaisance. J14 swaps north terminals with 26 (127 gets revived for Muesum campus reverse peak service and interlines with whatever 26s aren’t tied to a 192) and gets 146 type crowd control (wacker to 83rd and vice versa) in the peak direction

I've long said the 28 needs to go downtown permanently. Outside of its rush hour alignment, it's the only north-south route east of the Dan that doesn't have a rail connection or go downtown.

I think, instead of everything else, reroute the 6 along LSD from 67th to 57th, and then keep the 57th to 47th routing. Use that revamped 28 service (ending at 67th/Stony or 67th/South Shore instead of 63rd, and trips going to 103rd can bypass HP by exiting LSD at 57th), you'll actually solve the bulk of the problems. Jeffery and SS keep their service to Hyde Park, Hyde Park keeps their service to downtown, Stony Island gets increased access to downtown (less buses, but more service hours), 6 is slightly sped up. Downtown routings can be whatever they need to be

51 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've long said the 28 needs to go downtown permanently. Outside of its rush hour alignment, it's the only north-south route east of the Dan that doesn't have a rail connection or go downtown.

I think, instead of everything else, reroute the 6 along LSD from 67th to 57th, and then keep the 57th to 47th routing. Use that revamped 28 service (ending at 67th/Stony or 67th/South Shore instead of 63rd, and trips going to 103rd can bypass HP by exiting LSD at 57th), you'll actually solve the bulk of the problems. Jeffery and SS keep their service to Hyde Park, Hyde Park keeps their service to downtown, Stony Island gets increased access to downtown (less buses, but more service hours), 6 is slightly sped up. Downtown routings can be whatever they need to be

Well thing is to preserve the south shore to Jackson park connection as well as Hyde park  which is why I sent 30 up that way when I pulled 6 from that stretch. I just took that local connection and untied it from a downtown express route to increase reliability for both markets. 

49 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

So correct me if I'm wrong the 28 would still use the current routing but become an express route instead of local or a revised express route similar to the J14? Does the 30 would run its current routing until 79th and South Chicago then transition into the 28s routing to 47th street then head to the red line? The 15 heading to 51st & Drexel square from my vantage point would help increase frequency in Hyde Park while the 51 does more of the heavier work plus there's a lot of passengers west of Dan Ryan that hate having to wait 15-30 minutes for the 15 as its currently constructed and they usually never meet at the 47th street station at the same time for transfers. Having the 6 going to Union Station does make sense but where does the 28 go then?  I'd honestly like the idea of the 6 terminating at U of C along Midway Plaisance on 60th and Cottage Grove. 

38 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Times like this, I'd really like data on route to route transfers. I wouldn't have assumed 15 to 63 or 59 was a big or even substantial market, since anyone heading to the train would've taken a route that already goes E-W or simply stayed on the 15, in my mind. East 63rd isn't as much of a commercial corridor anymore either.

I doubt the transfer rate is high for the 59 versus the 63 from the 15 and vice versa. I think passengers just take whatever comes first to certain point. That's what I use to do. I'd take either the 15 or 28 to 87th because either way I'd still be heading to Ashland anyway the trip will just be about 10 minutes longer.  

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I can agree to that you know more about that general area than I do, I haven't lived over there in years since moving to the far southwest side back in 2004 but I still frequent the area since my High School tenure there. All I'd want is the 51 to be extended EB to either 51st & LSD,47th and Lake Park or 57th and Museum Campus. 

262555844_433663725088354_6025296429636384129_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So correct me if I'm wrong the 28 would still use the current routing but become an express route instead of local or a revised express route similar to the J14? Does the 30 would run its current routing until 79th and South Chicago then transition into the 28s routing to 47th street then head to the red line? The 15 heading to 51st & Drexel square from my vantage point would help increase frequency in Hyde Park while the 51 does more of the heavier work plus there's a lot of passengers west of Dan Ryan that hate having to wait 15-30 minutes for the 15 as its currently constructed and they usually never meet at the 47th street station at the same time for transfers. Having the 6 going to Union Station does make sense but where does the 28 go then?  I'd honestly like the idea of the 6 terminating at U of C along Midway Plaisance on 60th and Cottage Grove. 

I doubt the transfer rate is high for the 59 versus the 63 from the 15 and vice versa. I think passengers just take whatever comes first to certain point. That's what I use to do. I'd take either the 15 or 28 to 87th because either way I'd still be heading to Ashland anyway the trip will just be about 10 minutes longer.  

I can agree to that you know more about that general area than I do, I haven't lived over there in years since moving to the far southwest side back in 2004 but I still frequent the area since my High School tenure there. All I'd want is the 51 to be extended EB to either 51st & LSD,47th and Lake Park or 57th and Museum Campus. 

30 wouldn’t touch south chicago. It would go north and copy the old 27 then continue into Hyde park to maintain what the 6 leaves behind. 28 essentially becomes all day downtown and takes the 6 terminal under the schedule i suggested. 15 just does too much work for me to touch it and not throw anything out of whack. It’s an east 51st street bus as much as it is a Hyde park Jeffery connection 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

30 wouldn’t touch south chicago. It would go north and copy the old 27 then continue into Hyde park to maintain what the 6 leaves behind. 28 essentially becomes all day downtown and takes the 6 terminal under the schedule i suggested. 15 just does too much work for me to touch it and not throw anything out of whack. It’s an east 51st street bus as much as it is a Hyde park Jeffery connection 

Just for mentioning the old 27, my mother would be in immediately in favor of this. Can’t can’t the amount of times she talks about that route, especially when the 1 is brought up. Can’t remember that the 71 doesn’t go to Hyde Park or that the 26 gets on LSD at 67th, but can tell you the exact streets the 27 took despite it having been out of service since, what, 2004??

Overall, I’d be in favor of this, as well as replacing the 51st section of the 15 with an extended 51, something I’ve always been in favor of (also, CTA was clever, replacing it with the 15). The Red & Green like connections to Hyde Park are maintained (alongside the 55) and the 51 does much better staying on schedule than the 15 does. 15 can end at 47th/Lake Park, 51 can end at MSci.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Just for mentioning the old 27, my mother would be in immediately in favor of this. Can’t can’t the amount of times she talks about that route, especially when the 1 is brought up. Can’t remember that the 71 doesn’t go to Hyde Park or that the 26 gets on LSD at 67th, but can tell you the exact streets the 27 took despite it having been out of service since, what, 2004??

Overall, I’d be in favor of this, as well as replacing the 51st section of the 15 with an extended 51, something I’ve always been in favor of (also, CTA was clever, replacing it with the 15). The Red & Green like connections to Hyde Park are maintained (alongside the 55) and the 51 does much better staying on schedule than the 15 does. 15 can end at 47th/Lake Park, 51 can end at MSci.

Which old 27?  The original 27 ran from Jackson Park Station at 63rd and Stony Island to 112th and Torrence via Stony Island,  east on 73rd, south on Exchange,  south on Commercial to 104th,  west to Torrence and south on Torrence to 112th.  ON January 1st,  1982, the 1 was curtailed from 83rd/South Shore to 63rd/Stony Island.   The 27 was rerouted to service the area abandoned by the 1.  South Shore Drive lost its Hyde Park connection and the southeast side connections moved from Exchange to South Shore Drive north of 83rd.  At least the area still had the Jackson Park L, though service was curtailed to 61st then restored to 63rd/University. Before the Green Line rebuild. 

I agree that the 28 should go downtown at all times along with the 6.  I would curtail the 15 at 47th and Lake Park and restore the 51 to also end at either 47th and Lake Park or the Museum of Science and Industry.  Either the 6 or 28, or both, can run short trips to 67th and Stony Island for #riiver relief and frequency purposes. 

My other idea is to send the 28 downtown at all times, reroute and rename the 6 as the South Hyde Park Express,and rename the 2 East (or West) Hyde Park Express.   The current nonpe direction rush hour 2 would be a part of the new 6, which would go to Navy Pier.and the 28 to Michigan and Wacker.   

27 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Which old 27?  The original 27 ran from Jackson Park Station at 63rd and Stony Island to 112th and Torrence via Stony Island,  east on 73rd, south on Exchange,  south on Commercial to 104th,  west to Torrence and south on Torrence to 112th.  ON January 1st,  1982, the 1 was curtailed from 83rd/South Shore to 63rd/Stony Island.   The 27 was rerouted to service the area abandoned by the 1.  South Shore Drive lost its Hyde Park connection and the southeast side connections moved from Exchange to South Shore Drive north of 83rd.  At least the area still had the Jackson Park L, though service was curtailed to 61st then restored to 63rd/University. Before the Green Line rebuild. 

I agree that the 28 should go downtown at all times along with the 6.  I would curtail the 15 at 47th and Lake Park and restore the 51 to also end at either 47th and Lake Park or the Museum of Science and Industry.  Either the 6 or 28, or both, can run short trips to 67th and Stony Island for #riiver relief and frequency purposes. 

My other idea is to send the 28 downtown at all times, reroute and rename the 6 as the South Hyde Park Express,and rename the 2 East (or West) Hyde Park Express.   The current nonpe direction rush hour 2 would be a part of the new 6, which would go to Navy Pier.and the 28 to Michigan and Wacker.   

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

As far as my idea, I was gonna say the 27 before it got killed. I’d say reviving the 1981 #1 right before it got curtailed could do the same thing but with the current grid in place it’s hard to justify that with 3 other key routes in the same area along Indiana. I’d say the 6 should be cut to Midway and treated as a union station version of the #2 to maintain what rerouting an all day 28 to wacker and Columbus would leave behind. Using 28 and cutting half the buses south of 63rd would start empty buses for the Hyde park residents (which is what they really need) while still maintaining the stony-Hyde park connection using the same amount of capacity that the current structure has but also providing a safer relief for drivers by having the Hyde park express relief at 103rd instead of having to hang on 67th and stony. As far as naming, to better emphasize where the bus ends up I’d rename #2 as Hyde Park/Streeterville express and #6 as Hyde Park/West Loop express under what I’d propose. Basically #6 would become the 130 of Hyde park focusing on rush hour generators while 28 would be a #140 of Hyde park serving more all day traffic. 

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Whichever one was the 27 South Deering. I believe the one she talks about is that first iteration that went to 112th St

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think the space at 47th/Lake Park is big enough for three bus routes. 51 would have to street layover or go to MSci.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

As far as naming, to better emphasize where the bus ends up I’d rename #2 as Hyde Park/Streeterville express and #6 as Hyde Park/West Loop express under what I’d propose. Basically #6 would become the 130 of Hyde park focusing on rush hour generators while 28 would be a #140 of Hyde park serving more all day traffic. 

And rename the 15 just Jeffery. Or Jeffery/Hyde Park. No tourists over there and CTA has the most detailed bus stop signs in the country, everyone knows what bus to take lol

I'm very tempted to fire up Illustrator to see if I can make a map with all these proposed changes, but it'd require so many offset paths ?

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Whichever one was the 27 South Deering. I believe the one she talks about is that first iteration that went to 112th St

I don't think the space at 47th/Lake Park is big enough for three bus routes. 51 would have to street layover or go to MSci.

And rename the 15 just Jeffery. Or Jeffery/Hyde Park. No tourists over there and CTA has the most detailed bus stop signs in the country, everyone knows what bus to take lol

I'm very tempted to fire up Illustrator to see if I can make a map with all these proposed changes, but it'd require so many offset paths ?

Even if there’s no tourists the name itself tend to be a reminder of “where the bus is gonna put you” if you recently moved. Jeffery Local in this case emphasizes that you take thag Jeffery bus if you want to stay locally in the area. Just lane up north; 130 Lasalle emphasize business district, 140 Michigan express emphasizes magnificent mile. I did a map with a google maps screenshot but that was for a “push the L into streeterville” discussion. 

Another wild thought. Combine 43 with the extended 30. Reroute 44 to  39th and Lake park via Halsted, Pershing to Lake Park and eliminate 39 east of red line, redesignate as 39W West Pershing. Current 44 duplicates the 8 and ends up at Halsted orange line like the 8 so it’s redundant. 
redesignate 44 as 39 East Pershing-Racine and 30 as Kenwood-Hedgewish 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Another wild thought. Combine 43 with the extended 30. Reroute 44 to  39th and Lake park via Halsted, Pershing to Lake Park and eliminate 39 east of red line, redesignate as 39W West Pershing. Current 44 duplicates the 8 and ends up at Halsted orange line like the 8 so it’s redundant. 
redesignate 44 as 39 East Pershing-Racine and 30 as Kenwood-Hedgewish 

I always thought about either combining the Racineportionofthe. 44 with the 43  or combine the Wallace portion of the 44 with the 43 with the 44 running along Halsted between 47th and Archer.

I also had once thought about extending the 28 Local to combine with the 43 or the 39, but if the 39, only to the 35th Red Line. 

To be honest,  there's no need for the 30 north of 92nd.  Perhaps the 95 can be extended to  Hegewisch and the 30 can be eliminated. 

Can insiders offer some insight into how CTA could better manage service given its current shortage of trained operators? 

I assume that the extra boards are down to almost nothing, so when an operator doesn’t report for work, CTA has to simply annul that run. And they can move the departure time for a run a few minutes, but much more than that and it’s no longer the run the operator bid for.

Riders are complaining, with some justification, that CTA should adjust its scheduling rather than continuing to schedule trains or buses that will never even depart.  But just what can they do?  Would more frequent (monthly or weekly) picks help in matching service to available operators?  Help me to understand just how picks work, how service gets onto the street, and what could be done in the current situation.