Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I hope whatever is going on at 77th is over by the end of this weekend, or at least on the mend. First I was waiting for the 3 at 76th around 12:45p only for the NB bus to make a left turn onto 76th and disappear into the ether, I had to call an Uber to get downtown since a 75 in either direction wasn’t coming for 25 mins.

And then, coming home, there was a legion of passengers waiting for the EB 79 at the red line, when it came it was already full, but it was so many people, bus driver told us to board at the back and front. We were at more than standing capacity (people standing past the yellow line), but kudos to the bus driver for still picking people up, I know he knew he had no follower. When I got off the bus, I checked the transit app and the next bus wasn’t for 18 mins. 5:15p on Christmas Eve, I do not envy him at all, at least it stopped raining.

Sounds like service was for the birds!! They got to get out of town before they become someones xmas meal!!

269987755_10158964505018757_4731020186273420779_n.jpg

15 hours ago, jajuan said:

I meant odd in the sense of CTA having routes missing downtown like the 2, 143 and 148 for example while on the Pace side you still see the 850, 851 and 855. Or to put it another way, it actually felt like a Sunday that had extra Pace service. 

Aw ok I wonder how today gonna be with runs lol

The Cicero/24th terminal is really janky ?. There’s enough space here to set up individual bus bays for the 54 and 35, and even the 60, who doesn’t use it, instead of buses pulling up all willy nilly and people rushing in front of other buses to make it

also, there was a passenger who tried to open the driver side window in order to open the bus door; she caught him when she was coming back from the bathroom and did not let him board the bus at first ?

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The Cicero/24th terminal is really janky ?. There’s enough space here to set up individual bus bays for the 54 and 35, and even the 60, who doesn’t use it, instead of buses pulling up all willy nilly and people rushing in front of other buses to make it

also, there was a passenger who tried to open the driver side window in order to open the bus door; she caught him when she was coming back from the bathroom and did not let him board the bus at first ?

Yea I its sketchy over there sometimes

On 12/24/2021 at 9:45 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I hope whatever is going on at 77th is over by the end of this weekend, or at least on the mend. First I was waiting for the 3 at 76th around 12:45p only for the NB bus to make a left turn onto 76th and disappear into the ether, I had to call an Uber to get downtown since a 75 in either direction wasn’t coming for 25 mins.

And then, coming home, there was a legion of passengers waiting for the EB 79 at the red line, when it came it was already full, but it was so many people, bus driver told us to board at the back and front. We were at more than standing capacity (people standing past the yellow line), but kudos to the bus driver for still picking people up, I know he knew he had no follower. When I got off the bus, I checked the transit app and the next bus wasn’t for 18 mins. 5:15p on Christmas Eve, I do not envy him at all, at least it stopped raining.

Never understand the logic CTA has when doing a Sunday schedule on Christmas Eve and not Christmas Day... 79th had the most runs missing on Friday.  

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Never understand the logic CTA has when doing a Sunday schedule on Christmas Eve and not Christmas Day... 79th had the most runs missing on Friday.  

Lol, tell me about it. Christmas Day wasn’t much better, coming back from dinner, there was a point around 4:41p where there were 5 total trains running on the red line and 4 of them headed NB. Waited 43 mins to get on a SB red line train at Cermak-Chinatown. We were ofc greeted by a 26 min wait for the 79, but fortunately the 75 was coming.

I’m not really upset, I expected people to call off, be it for family reasons or sickness, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad, not even during the first height of COVID.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

145 is still in the system apparently lol, 4357 is saying “145 Mich Exp to Walton” ?

Most likely 146 to grace runs got assigned recycled code from when 145 operated only to Grace (pretty sure it was the infamous “145 Express to Lake shore and grace). Cta keeps old codes and sometimes new runs or routes just get a recycled code from a non functional route (heck I wouldn’t be surprised if someone reported a 99 or 162 sign seeing as a rode an ‘N56’ which survived till the same time period ?. I still see the occasional 14 or X3 here or there as well. Fun fact “145 Express” was used instead of the whole route name to avoid confusion since they never went to Wilson in the rush and were basically put back there to hush the people that claimed 146 wasn’t enough to make Irving park a full time express zone 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

145 is still in the system apparently lol, 4357 is saying “145 Mich Exp to Walton” ?

I think 146 runs to grace use a recycled 145 code (I'm pretty sure you saw "145 Express" to Lake Shore/Grace;  a hold over from when 145 only operated short turns to avoid duplication in the rush hour). Cta apparently keeps codes and just later reuses them from time to time and a goof up happens. The most infamous and recent on was the newly formed 95 using the old 90N code which resulted in Ventra not recognizing a bus on route on top of the bus tracker not picking up anything. I still see 14, X3 and X4 signs occasionally as well.  Even saw an N56 once ??

53 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I think 146 runs to grace use a recycled 145 code (I'm pretty sure you saw "145 Express" to Lake Shore/Grace;  a hold over from when 145 only operated short turns to avoid duplication in the rush hour). Cta apparently keeps codes and just later reuses them from time to time and a goof up happens. The most infamous and recent on was the newly formed 95 using the old 90N code which resulted in Ventra not recognizing a bus on route on top of the bus tracker not picking up anything. I still see 14, X3 and X4 signs occasionally as well.  Even saw an N56 once ??

yea sometimes runs to wilson or grace on the 146 you’ll see drivers use a old 145 code instead of their own run i was waiting for a NB 147 at randolph like 15mins ago a SB 4 shows up run is “7D” “4 Cottage Grove to 79” 1313 follower was 4042 to 115th to this day i wonder what the hell is “7D” or “PD” or FD” my only guess is “77th Deadhead”

17 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea sometimes runs to wilson or grace on the 146 you’ll see drivers use a old 145 code instead of their own run i was waiting for a NB 147 at randolph like 15mins ago a SB 4 shows up run is “7D” “4 Cottage Grove to 79” 1313 follower was 4042 to 115th to this day i wonder what the hell is “7D” or “PD” or FD” my only guess is “77th Deadhead”

I think I know what that means 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

If you see 7D PD KD 6D 1D FD 5D usually what that means is that operator is on a special assignment similar to the Holiday bus. It didn't have a run number but showcased all of those Run IDs I mentioned. If you see any bus with a different route terminus than it's normal one like for example 7D Cottage Grove to 79th that usually means that bus operator has been instructed via control,supervision or management to pull in and or short turn at that designated location to the garage or keep the bus at that location for there fall back and then continue in service once there fall back has concluded. That's probably why some of you assume a bus may be broken down at a relief point or somewhere adjacent to the relief point. Most of the time some operators are taking there fall back there if they weren't instructed to pull the bus in.

32 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

If you see 7D CD KD 6D 1D FD usually what that means is that operator is on a special assignment similar to the Holiday bus. It didn't have a run number but showcased all of those Run IDs I mentioned. If you see any bus with a different route terminus than it's normal one like for example 7D Cottage Grove to 79th that usually means that bus operator has been instructed via control,supervision or management to pull in and or short turn at that designated location to the garage or keep the bus at that location for there fall back and then continue in service once there fall back has concluded. That's probably why some of you assume a bus may be broken down at a relief point or somewhere adjacent to the relief point. Most of the time some operators are taking there fall back there if they weren't instructed to pull the bus in.

And here I was thinking Cta was being funny and putting "5 O" for police runs ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

If you see 7D CD KD 6D 1D FD usually what that means is that operator is on a special assignment similar to the Holiday bus. It didn't have a run number but showcased all of those Run IDs I mentioned. If you see any bus with a different route terminus than it's normal one like for example 7D Cottage Grove to 79th that usually means that bus operator has been instructed via control,supervision or management to pull in and or short turn at that designated location to the garage or keep the bus at that location for there fall back and then continue in service once there fall back has concluded. That's probably why some of you assume a bus may be broken down at a relief point or somewhere adjacent to the relief point. Most of the time some operators are taking there fall back there if they weren't instructed to pull the bus in.

thanks for this detailed explanation now i can stop wondering wth it means

32 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

And here I was thinking Cta was being funny and putting "5 O" for police runs ?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing before getting into the company. Then everything came full circle once I got the inside scoop.????

25 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

thanks for this detailed explanation now i can stop wondering wth it means

No problem. 

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Lol, tell me about it. Christmas Day wasn’t much better, coming back from dinner, there was a point around 4:41p where there were 5 total trains running on the red line and 4 of them headed NB. Waited 43 mins to get on a SB red line train at Cermak-Chinatown. We were ofc greeted by a 26 min wait for the 79, but fortunately the 75 was coming.

I’m not really upset, I expected people to call off, be it for family reasons or sickness, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this bad, not even during the first height of COVID.

Dam I see this holiday wasnt no better glad I goof my vacation cause new years wont be no better either