Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

9 minutes ago, chrissz2613 said:

What's the reasoning behind the 86 route not running on the weekends? It appears to have decent ridership during the week.

https://rtams.org/services/cta/routes/23100086

Decent weekday ridership doesn't translate into Decent weekend ridership.   That routes generators really only generates weekdays, which is why it doesn't run on weekends.

44 minutes ago, chrissz2613 said:

What's the reasoning behind the 86 route not running on the weekends? It appears to have decent ridership during the week.

https://rtams.org/services/cta/routes/23100086

Weekend service on the 86 was a victim of the large service cuts in 1997.   To balance the budget that year, the CTA cut back and eliminated a lot of service.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

couldn’t find a better topic then here………the past couple nights i’ve been seeing ohare bound blue line trains end and begin at rosemont it’s been happening in the 1-3am hours or it could just be operators switching trains but idk

The question is are there shuttle buses in place?  I checked the Alerts and none of the Blue Line Alerts are at O'Hare or Rosemont.   I don't know if the city is trying to keep the ho.eless population out of the airport again.  That's the only logical explanation I can think of.  It has been chilly rgw last few nights 

20 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

couldn’t find a better topic then here………the past couple nights i’ve been seeing ohare bound blue line trains end and begin at rosemont it’s been happening in the 1-3am hours or it could just be operators switching trains but idk

O'Hare bound trains both begin and end at Rosemont?  So you are saying that passengers going to O'Hare have to get off the train at Rosemont and get on another train that will take them to O'Hare?  Is the wait long?

1 hour ago, urbanguy0508 said:

CTA history question here.

Prior to the completion of the Dan Ryan branch, did the Lake branch (today’s Green Line) travel the full extent of the Loop and then return back to Lake Street?

yep

• Upvote 1

Related to Lake trains formerly circling the Loop, I often get questions from tourists while working downtown looking for a train that just continuously circles the Loop. When the Lake Line became the Lake-Dan Ryan Line, the CTA started running a Loop shuttle train to make up for the loss of the Lake Line circling the Loop. It never had much ridership and was discontinued in 1977. Too bad for the tourists of today!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Related to Lake trains formerly circling the Loop, I often get questions from tourists while working downtown looking for a train that just continuously circles the Loop. When the Lake Line became the Lake-Dan Ryan Line, the CTA started running a Loop shuttle train to make up for the loss of the Lake Line circling the Loop. It never had much ridership and was discontinued in 1977. Too bad for the tourists of today!

It wouldn't be needed today, because the Orange Line connects Wells St. to Clark/Lake. It was packed on that short segment.

Back then it was different.   Once the Lake Street L was thru fouted,  rhe only way to get from Lake/Wabash to  Wells/Van Buren was the Evanston Express during rush hours only.

Today the Pink and Orange Lines provide that opportunity  in addition to rush hour Purple Line trains.

5 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

It wouldn't be needed today, because the Orange Line connects Wells St. to Clark/Lake. It was packed on that short segment.

Has anyone realized lately that a bunch of the led signs on the outside of cta buses are supper small and in the corner of the display area. I have seen many of the busses have the signs like this. Is this supposed to be happening or is it a glitch.maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.0f201d0bfad4ff680ac352ca38aef42c.jpeg  

As you can see in this photo the higgins sign is to the corner of the display. 

(The photo is from the thumbnail of a Transit Enthusiast In Chicago & Beyond youtube video)

On 6/26/2023 at 12:56 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Cta got 2 work buses wb 1 that was a Nova must have been retired cause wb 2 is out & the flyer that became a work bus must be wb 1 or maybe even WB 3 

That is either 1010 or 1011. They’ve been retired since January. There are 2600s that have became work trains and were given work stripes and also retired in January. 

1 hour ago, Jackson232 said:

Has anyone realized lately that a bunch of the led signs on the outside of cta buses are supper small and in the corner of the display area. I have seen many of the busses have the signs like this. Is this supposed to be happening or is it a glitch.maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.0f201d0bfad4ff680ac352ca38aef42c.jpeg  

As you can see in this photo the higgins sign is to the corner of the display. 

(The photo is from the thumbnail of a Transit Enthusiast In Chicago & Beyond youtube video)

image.png.e0776340d5b4172766319c9a6af9afa5.pngfrom Twitter