Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

54 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Thoughts? ?  I personally feel like Carter is catching flack from dealing with former decisions as stated in my response. Disclaimer I'm not out to put this guy on blast I just know there's more people on the know compared to this group lol

Screenshot_20231010-122713.png

Screenshot_20231010-122124.png

I don't know who these people are or what they stand for.   But as a person who has spent the majority of my life in the Chicagoland area, I don't remember a CRA President who actually ran transit systems like Dorval Carter  who also had history working at CTA.  Most of them were political appointees who knew nothing about Chicago Transit.   Considering everything Carter had to deal with,  I think he's done an outstanding job. 

As for the current mayor, he easily took the title of Worst Chicago Mayor EVER from Lori Lightfoot and he's only been on the job for 6 months.  He's stated his intention to get rid of Dorval Carter when he was a mayoral candidate but never gave any explanation or reasoning behind that .  Maybe he wanted a yes man to do his bidding.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

But as a person who has spent the majority of my life in the Chicagoland area, I don't remember a CTA President who actually ran transit systems like Dorval Carter  who also had history working at CTA.  Most of them were political appointees who knew nothing about Chicago Transit.  ...

As for the current mayor, he easily took the title of Worst Chicago Mayor EVER from Lori Lightfoot and he's only been on the job for 6 months.

There was George Krambles, which is why I said "in the past 30 years."

On Worst Chicago Mayor EVER , there were the 2 malaproping King Richards. On the transit front, the worst was Richard II, who actually accomplished nothing in 22 years regarding transit other than blowing $330 million of CTA money on the Block 37 hole, and babbled all sort of things such as the projects that @Nitro was able to resurrect as strawmen. But somehow, they stayed in office for 22 years each.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There was George Krambles, which is why I said "in the past 30 years."

On Worst Chicago Mayor EVER , there were the 2 malaproping King Richards. On the transit front, the worst was Richard II, who actually accomplished nothing in 22 years regarding transit other than blowing $330 million of CTA money on the Block 37 hole, and babbled all sort of things such as the projects that @Nitro was able to resurrect as strawmen. But somehow, they stayed in office for 22 years each.

Why are you mentioning me lmfao. I'm pushing for these projects to provide service to transit deserts in Chicago. Also Metra isn't reliable in their scheduling and the same applies for the NICTD. Most of the CTA is de-interlined which is a good thing.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Why are you mentioning me lmfao. I'm pushing for these projects to provide service to transit deserts in Chicago. Also Metra isn't reliable in their scheduling and the same applies for the NICTD. Most of the CTA is de-interlined which is a good thing.

Funny that you mention transit deserts.  That's why the Red Line Extension is taking place to address that very issue.  You know, the one you are against.

The Metra and NICTD aren't much different than LIRR or Metro North  .  They aren't running 10 to 15 minute frequencies midday either.  It makes no sense to run empty equipment for the sake of running empty equipment when there's no actual demand for that type of service.   Especially when there's no money to pay for it.    Current schedule is meeting Current demand and will be adjusted as demand increases or decreases. 

What exactly is de-interlined?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

I guess you are like MTA in using text acronyms like ICYMI: Governor Hochul Updates New Yorkers Following Historic Rainfall Event. Also the RLE is supposed to attack transit deserts. Your lame ideas don't.

But as usual, you don't comprehend anything--not even what I post, but also in documents to which you post links but don't read. But if you Laugh Your A Off, you'll lose any mental capacity you might have left.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I guess you are like MTA in using text acronyms like ICYMI: Governor Hochul Updates New Yorkers Following Historic Rainfall Event. Also the RLE is supposed to attack transit deserts. Your lame ideas don't.

But as usual, you don't comprehend anything--not even what I post, but also in documents to which you post links but don't read. But if you Laugh Your A Off, you'll lose any mental capacity you might have left.

I've read them. Now you are making bizarre claims about what I read. Now let me ask you this what happened to the

Mid City Transitway project? I have a forum for it.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know who these people are or what they stand for.   But as a person who has spent the majority of my life in the Chicagoland area, I don't remember a CRA President who actually ran transit systems like Dorval Carter  who also had history working at CTA.  Most of them were political appointees who knew nothing about Chicago Transit.   Considering everything Carter had to deal with,  I think he's done an outstanding job. 

As for the current mayor, he easily took the title of Worst Chicago Mayor EVER from Lori Lightfoot and he's only been on the job for 6 months.  He's stated his intention to get rid of Dorval Carter when he was a mayoral candidate but never gave any explanation or reasoning behind that .  Maybe he wanted a yes man to do his bidding.  

What I'd say is that Carter's experience conflicts with the Mayor Brandon Johnson's agenda. Why isn't he pushing for expansion of the CTA?

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Funny that you mention transit deserts.  That's why the Red Line Extension is taking place to address that very issue.  You know, the one you are against.

The Metra and NICTD aren't much different than LIRR or Metro North  .  They aren't running 10 to 15 minute frequencies midday either.  It makes no sense to run empty equipment for the sake of running empty equipment when there's no actual demand for that type of service.   Especially when there's no money to pay for it.    Current schedule is meeting Current demand and will be adjusted as demand increases or decreases. 

What exactly is de-interlined?

Alright de–interlining is the process of separating subway lines from merging with each other. Take the loop as an example of this

Let's say we have two lines that serve the loop both lines make the same turns and the same way out. Moving one of them to the opposite side or eliminating them frees up capacity for the other line to run more trains. Which this is controversial because it removes one seat rides from Point A to B.

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Alright de–interlining is the process of separating subway lines from merging with each other. Take the loop as an example of this

Let's say we have two lines that serve the loop both lines make the same turns and the same way out. Moving one of them to the opposite side or eliminating them frees up capacity for the other line to run more trains. Which this is controversial because it removes one seat rides from Point A to B.

And, of course, you know all about how the Pink, Green, Purple, Brown, and Orange Lines work, as well as the Kimball-Midway trips (Brownage) worked. Answer to that, for the 25.6K time is NO. For instance, the Orange, Purple and Pink lines go the SAME WAY around the Loop, and, as I just noted, Kimball and Midway were at least interlined at one time.

QUESTION: Did you go to the Arnold Horshack Academy? I see certain similarities.

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Based on your definition,  the Purple Line and the Brown Line comes closest.  The Problem is that, even though they share tracks from Belmont to the Loop, these two lines were NEVER interlined by your standard.  They were two separate routes.  At one time the Purple Line didn't make any stops along the Brown Line tracks until Merchandise Matt.  They even had their own set of tracks south of Armitage to bypass Brown Line trains.   Those tracks were done away with.  When ridership increased exponentially on the Brown Line, Purple Line trains were being delayed so they just made the Purple stop at the Brown Line stations to the Loop.

The benefit was that Brown Line riders didn't have to ride to the Merchandise Martin to switch to a Purple Line train to immediately access Clark and Lake, or ride around the Loop on a Brown Line train, or switch to a Red Line train at Belmont or Fullerton to ride to State and Lake.  But these weren't lines that were de - interluned because they weren't interluned to begin with.

The beauty of the Loop is that Purple, Pink, and Orange Line trains serve all the Loop stations and travel clockwise in the Loop with the Brown Line trains traveling counterclockwise.  

But if you want to talk interluned service, there are times when the Brown and Orange Lines operate through the Loop interlined.   The trains enter the Loop from either side as one route and leave the Loop as the other route..  its a thru service like the Green Line. 

This may be foreign to you as you aren't from here and don't live here..  im not sure if you have ever set foot in Chicago .  I think you just look at maps without any understanding of the layout of the city.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Based on your definition,  the Purple Line and the Brown Line comes closest.  The Problem is that, even though they share tracks from Belmont to the Loop, these two lines were NEVER interlined by your standard.  They were two separate routes.  At one time the Purple Line didn't make any stops along the Brown Line tracks until Merchandise Matt.  They even had their own set of tracks south of Armitage to bypass Brown Line trains.   Those tracks were done away with.  When ridership increased exponentially on the Brown Line, Purple Line trains were being delayed so they just made the Purple stop at the Brown Line stations to the Loop.

The benefit was that Brown Line riders didn't have to ride to the Merchandise Martin to switch to a Purple Line train to immediately access Clark and Lake, or ride around the Loop on a Brown Line train, or switch to a Red Line train at Belmont or Fullerton to ride to State and Lake.  But these weren't lines that were de - interluned because they weren't interluned to begin with.

The beauty of the Loop is that Purple, Pink, and Orange Line trains serve all the Loop stations and travel clockwise in the Loop with the Brown Line trains traveling counterclockwise.  

But if you want to talk interluned service, there are times when the Brown and Orange Lines operate through the Loop interlined.   The trains enter the Loop from either side as one route and leave the Loop as the other route..  its a thru service like the Green Line. 

This may be foreign to you as you aren't from here and don't live here..  im not sure if you have ever set foot in Chicago .  I think you just look at maps without any understanding of the layout of the city.

Well they are semi interlined since they merge at Belmont. I have been to Chicago once in April 2023.

It seems the main reason that Carter is getting heat from the "transit advocates" is that they think there's a deluge of bus and train operator applicants who the union is holding back from getting jobs. Being a bus operator (especially in a city like Chicago) is extremely demanding and there's a lot of transportation jobs that offer similar compensation these days.

The other reason I think Carter is getting heat is that a lot of the transit advocates aren't familiar with times of poor leadership at CTA. Carter has been in the job over the past eight years and has kept the agency down a relatively straightforward path. 

In my opinion, the biggest mark against Carter is that he hasn't really had any big vision for the CTA other than make sure operations are going OK. All of the big capital programs (like RPM and Red Line Extension) were mapped out well before Carter came into the role. Things like FP Renovation and Bus Electrification have had relatively non-agressive implementations and a bigger voice could have been made for things like Better Streets for Buses/BRT, DLSD bus lanes, Circle Line, etc. 

If anything, it's going to be worse before it gets better. Ridership will never be restored to pre-pandemic levels, especially without a big vision in place. The bus fleet is aging and electrification plans have been slow, and the operating budget is going to be in big trouble in the next couple of years. Personally, I think that idea of a combined transit agency with more political clout at the state level is the best way to get more funding in place to make sure the system doesn't fall apart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

It seems the main reason that Carter is getting heat from the "transit advocates" is that they think there's a deluge of bus and train operator applicants who the union is holding back from getting jobs. Being a bus operator (especially in a city like Chicago) is extremely demanding and there's a lot of transportation jobs that offer similar compensation these days.

The other reason I think Carter is getting heat is that a lot of the transit advocates aren't familiar with times of poor leadership at CTA. Carter has been in the job over the past eight years and has kept the agency down a relatively straightforward path. 

In my opinion, the biggest mark against Carter is that he hasn't really had any big vision for the CTA other than make sure operations are going OK. All of the big capital programs (like RPM and Red Line Extension) were mapped out well before Carter came into the role. Things like FP Renovation and Bus Electrification have had relatively non-agressive implementations and a bigger voice could have been made for things like Better Streets for Buses/BRT, DLSD bus lanes, Circle Line, etc. 

If anything, it's going to be worse before it gets better. Ridership will never be restored to pre-pandemic levels, especially without a big vision in place. The bus fleet is aging and electrification plans have been slow, and the operating budget is going to be in big trouble in the next couple of years. Personally, I think that idea of a combined transit agency with more political clout at the state level is the best way to get more funding in place to make sure the system doesn't fall apart.

While vision for the future is good,  we have to also live in the reality that this system is OLD.  The newest line built from scratch is the Orange Line.   While the Red Line Extension has been in planning for decades, it is just nearing a phase where construction can actually begin in about 2 years.

As far as CTA Unions go, I'm sure they want as many drivers as possible.   They can't collect union dues from nonmembers. 

12 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

• At least the current administration got RLE and RPM off the schneid, something prior administrations couldn't do. I mentioned all the projects that the Daley II and MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL administrations proposed, such as the Circle Line, Mid-City Line, Block 37, and Elon Musk's Boring Co. tunnel to O'Hare that turned out to be pure hooey, not to mention projects that were done, but not as represented, such as the Brown Line rebuild that wasn't and didn't use pressure-treated lumber, or the first Dan Ryan project, which it turned out only  replaced crossovers.
  • The other stuff should be handled by PART, but past experience shows that the General Assembly can't or won't do governance, just tax increases, and the Pace and Metra Boards have already said they do a fine job and all they need is more funding. What really tipped me off is that, after 15 years, Carole Brown is back pulsing the same taxes.

Man yesterday while I was doing the 72 I had people going off on me about how they had to wait 25 mins for me to pull up I told them look in my box I'm basically on time 2 mins late bit I also told them take that uo with 567 cause they are the ones who put out the schedule hell the bus in front of me had then make it back to Harlem and we crossed paths a few mins later at central I just shook my head & said oh well I'm still getting paid people are beyond pissed with CTA even a 85 yea old lady said that she was going to buy her another car because bus service sucks now ??

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Man yesterday while I was doing the 72 I had people going off on me about how they had to wait 25 mins for me to pull up I told them look in my box I'm basically on time 2 mins late bit I also told them take that uo with 567 cause they are the ones who put out the schedule hell the bus in front of me had then make it back to Harlem and we crossed paths a few mins later at central I just shook my head & said oh well I'm still getting paid people are beyond pissed with CTA even a 85 yea old lady said that she was going to buy her another car because bus service sucks now ??

We who ride the 22 Clark would be ecstatic over 25 minute headways, as 45 minute & longer are standard every day lately!

Why does the #85 Central bus continue past the Jefferson Park terminal? Doesn't it duplicate some of the services provided by the #85A North Central bus?

https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/85

https://www.transitchicago.com/bus/85a

What's the reasoning behind the route dropping off passengers at the terminal and then continuing north? 

image.thumb.png.90da059f372c52704bb82c8bb0ffda55.png

The 85A does not run on Sundays and also stops running very early in the evening (7:00 Saturday and 9:00 weekdays). 

I suspect that the main motivation is that it is the only bus route that serves the Forest Glen garage (except for pull ins and pull outs).

With Pace trashing bus service on Milwaukee, there is precious little service left for people who live north of Jefferson Park.  Any little bit helps.

1 hour ago, Smolensk said:

The 85A does not run on Sundays and also stops running very early in the evening (7:00 Saturday and 9:00 weekdays). 

I suspect that the main motivation is that it is the only bus route that serves the Forest Glen garage (except for pull ins and pull outs).

With Pace trashing bus service on Milwaukee, there is precious little service left for people who live north of Jefferson Park.  Any little bit helps.

You're generally correct, but Pace didn't trash N. Milwaukee service, CTA did when it cut 56A to once every 30 minutes, and then canceled 56A altogether.

Arguably, much of 85A is covered by 225/226.

15 minutes ago, Busjack said:

You're generally correct, but Pace didn't trash N. Milwaukee service, CTA did when it cut 56A to once every 30 minutes, and then canceled 56A altogether.

Arguably, much of 85A is covered by 225/226.

But there was good service on 270 which arguably duplicated 56A.  Now, 270 is down to once an hour, starts later in the morning, ends early in the evening, and the Pulse trash has almost no stops in the city.

225 runs only rush hours one-way.  226 is just once an hour weekdays only.

31 minutes ago, Smolensk said:

and the Pulse trash has almost no stops in the city.

Actually, Pulse has enough stops in the city, at Central, Austin, and Devon. Before 56A was killed, 270 was not supposed to drop off NB or pick up SB in the city. so it wasn't a viable alternative.

The two facts that showed the lack of demand at the time were the CTA frequency cut, and that at the time of abandonment, Pace concluded that passenger volume only warranted adding one bus at 7:12 a.m. You may not like Pulse, but neighborhood residents weren't riding any kind of bus. It wasn't 108, which overlapped 352. but had enough ridership that CTA kept it as part of the same restructuring.

Go back and read about the Crowd Reduction Plan.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Actually, Pulse has enough stops in the city, at Central, Austin, and Devon. Before 56A was killed, 270 was not supposed to drop off NB or pick up SB in the city. so it wasn't a viable alternative.

I still see senior citizens standing near the bus stops waving frantically at the Pulse buses and saying "MIster, mister, why the bus no stop?"  I explain to them that they have to walk up to Haft and they say "I can't walk that far."  Then I explain that they'll have to wait another 45 minutes.

The restrictions on 270 stopping in the city were only during rush hour.  They made all stops at other times.