Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

And soon we will see warming buses for the migrants provided by the CTA.   A new reason for delays courtesy of Mayor Brandon Johnson. 

14 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Today I was sent to be posted on the warming bus in front of the law breakers district collected free money today with my legs kicked up on the wheel chilling on my phone 

Yep. CTA posted that it had record ridership, and yet the city diverts short drivers for this.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:39 AM, artthouwill said:

Just saw an ABC7 news story about the 49,X49, and 22 being among the routes with the most ghost buses. 

Seems like ABC7 has been the only media outlet to consistently keep doing stories on the agencies staffing issues as it pertains to missing runs not being fulfilled. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Seems like ABC7 has been the only media outlet to consistently keep doing stories on the agencies staffing issues as it pertains to missing runs not being fulfilled. 

I don't know if that's the case, but I bet that Jason Knowles didn't solve the problem (he almost never does).

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Man if I were for ABC7 I would test my patience for Halsted, 47th, Ashland, and Cicero on bus arrival performance besides Clark, Western and 63rd. lol ?

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Well when I go back east on the 72 it's a detour a Cicero semi trying to make a right turn on to North Ave to go east hit an unmarked sqaud car that was parked on the corner oh well CPD shouldn't never have parked there 

The question is whether the squad was parked at the light facing NB on Cicero or EB North Ave?  I'm not nor have been a semi truck driver.  But I do know that nice the driver starts to make a right turn, the only thing they can see in their mirror is the side of their trailer.   Since most truck and bus drivers use the rear wheels to determine their pivot point to initiate their turn.  This leads me to believe that the squad car was parked at the corner facing east on North Ave. So to be able to complete the turn,  that truck probably needed to use the WB  lanes to ensure that he could clear that squad before  getting back into the EB lanes.  

We know how you feel about police cars parked at corners. 

19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The question is whether the squad was parked at the light facing NB on Cicero or EB North Ave?  I'm not nor have been a semi truck driver.  But I do know that nice the driver starts to make a right turn, the only thing they can see in their mirror is the side of their trailer.   Since most truck and bus drivers use the rear wheels to determine their pivot point to initiate their turn.  This leads me to believe that the squad car was parked at the corner facing east on North Ave. So to be able to complete the turn,  that truck probably needed to use the WB  lanes to ensure that he could clear that squad before  getting back into the EB lanes.  

We know how you feel about police cars parked at corners. 

Yea but north Ave at the curb in the middle but from the supervisor the trucker wasn't given no ticket the said was parked there an the officers was in the boostmoible looking at the phones

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

When the #90N North Harlem route was still in operation, why did it terminate at Touhy & Overhill and not continue westward towards Park Ridge's Metra station?

image.thumb.png.d062c4ab732e4b7600b34878a75e1ccb.png

Is there a reason it didn't provide an additional CTA-Metra connection similar to what exists with the #68 Northwest Highway route?

A few links related to the former #90N route.

23 minutes ago, chrissz2613 said:

When the #90N North Harlem route was still in operation, why did it terminate at Touhy & Overhill and not continue westward towards Park Ridge's Metra station?

image.thumb.png.d062c4ab732e4b7600b34878a75e1ccb.png

Is there a reason it didn't provide an additional CTA-Metra connection similar to what exists with the #68 Northwest Highway route?

A few links related to the former #90N route.

When the 90 Harlem route began 10/2/1945 it started at Overhill via Touhy and Harlem. This was the last turning point on Touhy before you left the City of Chicago.

The 90N started 2/27/83 when the 90 was split at the new Harlem "L" station, which opened that day. It mirrored the northern section of the 90 so ended at Overhill.

It was really a north/south service on Harlem to the city boundary and United provided sufficient service on Touhy (now Pace 290). This section of Harlem was also served by the United Harlem service so there was duplication. This became Pace 228 which was withdrawn 3/20/2005 and replaced by extending the 423 to Harlem. On 12/15/2012 the 90N was withdrawn with the service replaced by Pace 423.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chrissz2613 said:

Aside from what @busfan2847 said,

• There was, at the time, more respect for other carriers' territory unless there was some reason like bustitution of discontinued L segments (17 for Garfield/Westchester, 21B/25 for Douglas when cut from Oak Park Ave. to 54th, and 97 when Niles Center was cut). For instance, when Jefferson Park opened, 68 Northwest Highway ended at Ozark-Ozanam, which was the city line. Park Ridge was United territory.
  • United (and for a while Nortran) provided downtown service from the area. For instance, before 228, 11 ran from Deerlove or Wheeling via Harlem and Caldwell downtown.
  • Similarly, on Touhy, 90/290 ran through Park Ridge to Lutheran General and 91/291 ran to Des Plaines, but neither was supposed to handle local traffic east of Kedzie, which was covered by CTA 96 Lunt-Touhy.
  • When the O'Hare extension opened and 90/90N were split, the way downtown became the extension. Train passenger in the area could (and can) use the Norwood Park station around Harlem and Devon.

Thank you @busfan2847 and @Busjack for your responses. I have a few follow up questions on the topic.

For instance, when Jefferson Park opened, 68 Northwest Highway ended at Ozark-Ozanam, which was the city line. Park Ridge was United territory.

In what year did the CTA extend the #68 bus to Park Ridge? When they began providing bus service on Northwest Highway passed the city's borders, did the agency ever consider doing the same for the northern portion of the Harlem route towards Park Ridge? 

19 hours ago, chrissz2613 said:

Thank you @busfan2847 and @Busjack for your responses. I have a few follow up questions on the topic.

In what year did the CTA extend the #68 bus to Park Ridge? When they began providing bus service on Northwest Highway passed the city's borders, did the agency ever consider doing the same for the northern portion of the Harlem route towards Park Ridge? 

11/30/1975

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

While training a new driver today we ran across a person with a service dog by me being in the military I knew what wen on right away but the rookie gone tell the guy that he couldn't bring his dog on the bus he started to say it's my service dog but the rookie cut him off & tried to close the doors I told the rookie bro service dogs are allowed do you want a lawsuit I made him get out of the seat & he never drove the rest of the day should I let the supervisor know about this don't wanna get the kid fired but really put him on game about it