Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

Today has been one of the roughest days when it comes to having an outdoor garage. NP not only has had multiple breakdowns across the Northside but now the equipment that is sitting at the garage to replace those multiple breakdowns is going defective as well. I overheard it on a supervisor radio earlier this afternoon. Adding insult to injury there has been at least 10 buses declared tows for various reasons relating to buses loosing air pressure, that appears to be a systemwide thing going on with the #1000s today. I can only imagine how tough tomorrow will be. While working King Drive today I've seen #1221,#1224 and #1230 sitting defective along the route with what I can assume is air pressure issues.

20 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Today has been one of the roughest days when it comes to having an outdoor garage. NP not only has had multiple breakdowns across the Northside but now the equipment that is sitting at the garage to those multiple breakdowns is going defective as well. I overheard it on a supervisor radio earlier this afternoon. Adding insult to injury there has been at least 10 buses declared tows for various reasons relating to buses loosing air pressure, that appears to be a systemwide thing going on with the #1000s today. I can only imagine how tough tomorrow will be. While working King Drive today I've seen #1221,#1224 and #1224 sitting defective along the route with what I can assume is air pressure issues.

yesterday night around 6:45pm wile I was on the 4, 7980 had some sort of issue and all the customers came onto our bus, so maybe novas are hitting the cold too with these problems

4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

yesterday night around 6:45pm wile I was on the 4, 7980 had some sort of issue and all the customers came onto our bus, so maybe novas are hitting the cold too with these problems

The company is based in Quebec, so one would think they would have figured it by now.

5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The company is based in Quebec, so one would think they would have figured it by now.

There's no remedy for these extreme temperatures..  However it would be interesting to see how electric buses would fare in these conditions,  assuming t hey were running at all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

There's no remedy for these extreme temperatures..  However it would be interesting to see how electric buses would fare in these conditions,  assuming t hey were running at all.

Weren't on C; will have to see on 63rd  tomorrow.

Ironically I caught 1179 on the 50 Damen to work and caught it again coming home. I made sure to make it out there from work earlier with the last southbound bus being due at Lawrence between 10:05 and 10:10. I saw a brown line train running but train tracker still has the service listed as suspended. The 50 Damen saved me today lol. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

The #7900s hardly had any issues yesterday though compared to the #1000,#4000, and #4300s. C had to loan NP some equipment last night due to the situation they were dealing with for most of the day. 

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Weren't on C; will have to see on 63rd  tomorrow.

I'll be surprised if any #600s hit the streets at all until at least Thurs-Fri. 

Update #622 is currently out on the 63 this morning.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

The #7900s hardly had any issues yesterday though compared to the #1000,#4000, and #4300s. C had to loan NP some equipment last night due to the situation they were dealing with for most of the day. 

I'll be surprised if any #600s hit the streets at all until at least Thurs-Fri. 

Update #622 is currently out on the 63 this morning.

I saw a news story about Tesla cars being stranded because their car batteries were dead and the majority of charging stations were broken due to the frigid Temps.   It will be interesting to see how the charging station works at Midway.   Would have liked to have seen how the charging stations were working at Navy Pier and Chicago and Austin as well.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I saw a news story about Tesla cars being stranded because their car batteries were dead and the majority of charging stations were broken due to the frigid Temps.   It will be interesting to see how the charging station works at Midway.   Would have liked to have seen how the charging stations were working at Navy Pier and Chicago and Austin as well.

Yea them Tesla fan Boyz can't charge their fireball on wheels cause the cold broke all the charging stations should have just stayed with  gas powered cars ?? but cta gonna have a field day when they go all electric they are going to need double the buses they have now when Temps like this comes

19 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Today has been one of the roughest days when it comes to having an outdoor garage. NP not only has had multiple breakdowns across the Northside but now the equipment that is sitting at the garage to replace those multiple breakdowns is going defective as well. I overheard it on a supervisor radio earlier this afternoon. Adding insult to injury there has been at least 10 buses declared tows for various reasons relating to buses loosing air pressure, that appears to be a systemwide thing going on with the #1000s today. I can only imagine how tough tomorrow will be. While working King Drive today I've seen #1221,#1224 and #1230 sitting defective along the route with what I can assume is air pressure issues.

Yea I seen a few wokers taking buses over to P yesterday and I as one I said man yall swapping our buses again joking & she said nope NP need loans they having breakdown on the street & at the garage 

10 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea I seen a few wokers taking buses over to P yesterday and I as one I said man yall swapping our buses again joking & she said nope NP need loans they having breakdown on the street & at the garage 

But F is also an outdoor garage.  Of course on Sundays half of their fkeet doesn't have to go out and they still have New Flyers.   One would think they'd have the same problems if not wirse.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

But F is also an outdoor garage.  Of course on Sundays half of their fkeet doesn't have to go out and they still have New Flyers.   One would think they'd have the same problems if not wirse.

I didn't hear much about fg if they had breakdowns which I'm sure they didn't they had others to cover 

6 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

A few years back (maybe 2019?) the 62 short turn terminal was moved to Pulaski and the 47 terminal moved to Midway at all times.

I believe the reasoning was turns out of the terminal to NB Cicero were problematic.

woah, interesting. does anyone know about any other abandoned cta turnarounds / terminals that are still hanging around 

27 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

A few years back (maybe 2019?) the 62 short turn terminal was moved to Pulaski and the 47 terminal moved to Midway at all times.

I believe the reasoning was turns out of the terminal to NB Cicero were problematic.

I think the primary reason was to sell the land.  The additional  benefit was a reduction of delays caused  by freight trains at Kilpatrick.   This also was the case for the 62 short turns also being moved from Cicero/Archer to Pulaski. 

10 hours ago, 18thalek said:

woah, interesting. does anyone know about any other abandoned cta turnarounds / terminals that are still hanging around 

There is one at Touhy and Overhill (for when the #90 used to run Grand-Nordica to there).

I maintain there should be another one at Cicero and Montrose. The #54, & #54A {or whatever is the Pace replacement for the #54A} should be rerouted to Jefferson Park T.C. ?

11 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

There is one at Touhy and Overhill (for when the #90 used to run Grand-Nordica to there).

Pace is using both of them :Overhill for 290 short trips, and Nordica for 307 and 319.

If the forest park branch of the blue line was in good enough shape to run 5000s, would CTA have sent all of pink & greens 5000s to blue and had the rest of the fleet 3200s? Blue would have 200 5000s & 240 3200s with green & pink having 7000s. 

50 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

If the forest park branch of the blue line was in good enough shape to run 5000s, would CTA have sent all of pink & greens 5000s to blue and had the rest of the fleet 3200s? Blue would have 200 5000s & 240 3200s with green & pink having 7000s. 

I highly doubt that.   CTA doesn't want to run mixed fleets.  Technically the 2600s and the 3200s are mixed but they are the only fleets compatible with each other.  Eventually the 7000s will replace all of them on the Blue Line.   Since it appears that the 9000s will go to Orange and Brown,  they may also go to Pink and/or Green as the Red will need more 5000s for the extension to 130th.  

The federal government should take away the electric bus mandate and leave it to transit agencies to decide what equipment is best for them. With how Chicago winters can be I don’t think CTA could manage an all electric bus fleet, most activists use emotion over logic and common sense. Electric vehicles aren’t all that sustainable especially in cold climates, CTA would be smarter to keep a diesel bus fleet with a few hybrids here and there. Where were the 600s at Sunday and Monday?

30 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

The federal government should take away the electric bus mandate and leave it to transit agencies to decide what equipment is best for them. With how Chicago winters can be I don’t think CTA could manage an all electric bus fleet, most activists use emotion over logic and common sense. Electric vehicles aren’t all that sustainable especially in cold climates, CTA would be smarter to keep a diesel bus fleet with a few hybrids here and there. Where were the 600s at Sunday and Monday?

Post in the correct topic, please.

4 hours ago, Javi75 said:

:Whoasked:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Throwback to some cta drama on the 72 when 6570 was still running the streets when it came back to C after being at 7 for years https://youtu.be/0WvH3h1wdd4?si=J49B14M6jBE3Qujp

Certainly RANDOM, and I can't figure out why the woman prevented the senior citizen from boarding I only understood "Don't you cuss on this bus," and "I'm going to call the police." I'm not sure why a woman like that would take on that type of crowd, except it was near Wicker Park or West Town.