Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

7 hours ago, curiousgent31385 said:

Why don't the Harlem and Cumberland stations on the Blue Line have entrances from both sides of the streets? Why weren't they designed like the Montrose station?

~14 years more experience. Other than Jeff Pk, it took that long to figure out that there should be a dedicated bus transfer area.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I read that Paul Vallas intends to fire Dorval Carter if he gets elected mayor.  This acChicagocording to a Block Club  Chicago.

That's not surprising. Dorval Carter has received a lot of bad press over the past few years, so it's an easy political score for a new mayor. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Johnson says/does something similar.

I read that Paul Vallas intends to fire Dorval Carter if he gets elected mayor.  This acChicagocording to a Block Club  Chicago.

1 minute ago, Tcmetro said:

That's not surprising. Dorval Carter has received a lot of bad press over the past few years, so it's an easy political score for a new mayor. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Johnson says/does something similar.

Despite what Chairman Rahm did, the mayor does not have direct authority over the CT Board, which is an independent municipal corporation. It's a new Board, and is short a mayoral appoiontee. Ialso have the feeling that Lester Barclay is not the walkover senile Terry Peterson was.

Today I noticed some differences in some of the train announcements.   In today's Pink Line,  I noticed that the Clark and Lake announcements didnt include City Hall.  The Washington Blue Line announcements did include the Daley Center or City Gall. The Blue Line Clinents didn't include Metra ir Amtrak trains.  These weren't operators cutting off announcements    Has this been fiunf on or us ethis a very recent thing?

Today I noticed some differences in some of the train announcements.   In today's Pink Line,  I noticed that the Clark and Lake announcements didnt include City Hall.  The Washington Blue Line announcements did include the Daley Center or City Gall. The Blue Line Clinents didn't include Metra ir Amtrak trains.  These weren't operators cutting off announcements    Has this been fiunf on or us ethis a very recent thing?

Not sure there might of been a recent software update in the clever device system or just a possible glitch. 

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Well 7987 been in a crash yesterday on 69th & halstead 

If I remember correctly,  SB is a far side bus stop by the Burger King  for the 8 and the 169.  According to the ladies on the video, rhe bus ran the red light on Halsted at 69th when the car was hit.  I couldn't tell if the car was attempting to turn into Halsted or was going straight.  In either case,  doesn't the car bear some responsibility?  I'm guessing this was a situation where the light changed and once the 69th light turned green, the car just took off without checking out the intersection to make sure it was clear.  An extra 2 seconds to check before moving probably means this doesn't happen .  The bus driver has some responsibility too.  If he knew he was blowing that light, he should have sounded the horn  to alert the drivers on 69th.  It wasn't clear whether the bus driver was intending to stop at 59th, but my guess is that he wasn't    im not saying he should have blowing the light, but once it was clear the light was changing and he made the decision to go through, the horn should have been sounded.

The other possibility is that the car was trying to jump the light based on the Dont walj sign. However that should have meant she should have seen the bus.  It's not like she is a busy intersection.

26 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

If I remember correctly,  SB is a far side bus stop by the Burger King  for the 8 and the 169.  According to the ladies on the video, rhe bus ran the red light on Halsted at 69th when the car was hit.  I couldn't tell if the car was attempting to turn into Halsted or was going straight.  In either case,  doesn't the car bear some responsibility?  I'm guessing this was a situation where the light changed and once the 69th light turned green, the car just took off without checking out the intersection to make sure it was clear.  An extra 2 seconds to check before moving probably means this doesn't happen .  The bus driver has some responsibility too.  If he knew he was blowing that light, he should have sounded the horn  to alert the drivers on 69th.  It wasn't clear whether the bus driver was intending to stop at 59th, but my guess is that he wasn't    im not saying he should have blowing the light, but once it was clear the light was changing and he made the decision to go through, the horn should have been sounded.

The other possibility is that the car was trying to jump the light based on the Dont walj sign. However that should have meant she should have seen the bus.  It's not like she is a busy intersection.

That burger kind got shut down & torn down its a vacant lot now but idk the full story just going off what they said in the video but cta will find out the bus has cams on it & if the driver did run the light as the video says then bus driver is fully at fault if the car when it then the lady is fully at fault 

45 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Whenever this accident occurred #7987 is still out on the street as we speak so the damage wasn't bad at all and I'll assume that both parties are at fault because 69th and Halsted is notorious for drivers not obeying the traffic laws at that intersection. I've seen numerous accidents there over the years and it's usually caused by drivers running lights and Turing into intersection recklessly. Seeing the car took more damage than the bus tells gives me reason to believe they were struck at a decent speed but not fast of a speed.

14 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

That burger kind got shut down & torn down its a vacant lot now but idk the full story just going off what they said in the video but cta will find out the bus has cams on it & if the driver did run the light as the video says then bus driver is fully at fault if the car when it then the lady is fully at fault 

The bus cameras will tell the truth but I doubt that we will see that footage.  I wonder if the city has nearby cameras that caught it on video, similar to the accident at 74th St some time ago.   

This footage shows the aftermath and u don't know if anything was discussed before this video was recorded.  Rhe bus driver remained silent.   He could be guilty ir gw known what was discussed.   Not saying this is the case, but an agreement could be made if one file a lawsuit and gives a kickback in exchange for a testimony.

The bus cameras will tell the truth but I doubt that we will see that footage.  I wonder if the city has nearby cameras that caught it on video, similar to the accident at 74th St some time ago.   

This footage shows the aftermath and u don't know if anything was discussed before this video was recorded.  Rhe bus driver remained silent.   He could be guilty ir gw known what was discussed.   Not saying this is the case, but an agreement could be made if one file a lawsuit and gives a kickback in exchange for a testimony.

I know when I had my accident I check on the people in the other car I called it in & I didn't say a word how it all went down until higher ups got there

Is Intimidation bad at other garages? Yesterday we got a new operator that switched to NP from C. As we was talking yesterday he said that he left chicago because of another driver that he describes a cool person when calm but ruthless and angry. And willing to do whatever to make sure people don't talk about certain things. Saying if your going to be a rat get the hell away from here the sanething that happend to 6x9 in the bathroom can happen to them on the street and that he didn't want to work nowhere near that person 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:24 PM, artthouwill said:

On 3/28/2023 at 5:07 PM, Tcmetro said:

It ain't gonna be Paul Vallas. Only clue is that during his Victory Speech, Brandon Johnson said something about "unreliable transit that keeps workers from getting to work on time." I don't know what he can do about it, but most of the things on his agenda are going to need help from the state legislature.

21 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It ain't gonna be Paul Vallas. Only clue is that during his Victory Speech, Brandon Johnson said something about "unreliable transit that keeps workers from getting to work on time." I don't know what he can do about it, but most of the things on his agenda are going to need help from the state legislature.

Regardless of who the next mayor is,  it's easy to scapegoat Dorval Carter.   But he can't make people who work for CTA come to work and he can't make people want to work for CTA.

You know its bad when Pace drivers are asking passengers if they need a job, and if so, Pace is hiring 

The reason why people aren't flocking to transit jobs has to do with crime and the policies of Kim Foxx.  Don't prosecute the criminals so they become repeat offenders.  They know they won't spend any time in jail.  So why become an easy target?  The same for the police.   They are expected to risk their lives to catch criminals who might be willing to kill them only to see the criminals they arrest back on the street before the end of their shift.  

Unfortunately Brandon Johnson is a Kim Foxx supporters, so don't expect improvements to CTA service or crime rates, or police protection.   Maybe this election will tilt the 2024 Democrat National Convention to be held in New York City instead of Chicago  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Regardless of who the next mayor is,  it's easy to scapegoat Dorval Carter.   But he can't make people who work for CTA come to work and he can't make people want to work for CTA.

You know its bad when Pace drivers are asking passengers if they need a job, and if so, Pace is hiring 

The reason why people aren't flocking to transit jobs has to do with crime and the policies of Kim Foxx.  Don't prosecute the criminals so they become repeat offenders.  They know they won't spend any time in jail.  So why become an easy target?  The same for the police.   They are expected to risk their lives to catch criminals who might be willing to kill them only to see the criminals they arrest back on the street before the end of their shift.  

Unfortunately Brandon Johnson is a Kim Foxx supporters, so don't expect improvements to CTA service or crime rates, or police protection.   Maybe this election will tilt the 2024 Democrat National Convention to be held in New York City instead of Chicago  

It sounds like you're the guy to whom Vallas was giving upvotes to tweets.

Your Pace reference indicates that the problem is universal. The WMATA and MBTA subway lines are in worse shape than CTA's.  Aside from the usual RTA sob story, over which Johnson has no control, the Sun-Times says the issues are:

Total ridership on CTA buses and trains rose 24% last year, but is still just half what it was before the pandemic. The number of employees still working from home is not the only culprit. Employee shortages, service reliability and complaints about security, maintenance and rider behavior also are keeping passengers away.

Whether any TA can do anything about the employee shortage is one thing. Service reliability I'm sure has to do with missing trips and the recent schedule cutback. Maintenance problems are typified with all the comments here about buses in the SS yard and inability to get new buses and rail cars into revenue service.

I don't have a vote in the Chicago election, so I'm not going to comment on Johnson's politics, except to say that his website has a transportation plan, including restoring service to Forest Park, which was just cut. As I indicated in my prior post, he recognizes that a lot of what he wants will require federal and state assistance. On the governance point, he said:

Brandon Johnson will ensure that the CTA commuter board is re-engaged as an active decision-making partner and oversight body.

If that's the case, it would be a change, especially from the Daley and Emanuel administrations.

I do have a vote in Cook County, but it appears that Kim Foxx is passing on property crimes but the police wasn't breaking up looting, anyway. I don't agree with her decisions on prosecutorial discretion, but recognize that she has it.