Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

9 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

91 Austin/81W West Lawrence between jefferson park and austin/lawrence 

85/85A/92/225/226/270/Pulse between jefferson park and central/milwaukee

85/85A between jefferson park and elston/bryn mawr

You didn't answer the question. See the above definition of interline.

The answer would be something like if an 81W becomes a 85A when it pulls into Jefferson Park, but I don't know if that's the case.

At Midway, 55N and 55A come out of 59.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

You didn't answer the question. See the above definition of interline.

The answer would be something like if an 81W becomes a 85A when it pulls into Jefferson Park, but I don't know if that's the case.

At Midway, 55N and 55A come out of 59.

oh yea 81W/85A interline saturday’s 

88/68/85A/81W interline (weekdays only)

88/68 interline weekdays/weekends

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, citychris05 said:

Is it true that the CTA once bid to run Northwestern University's campus shuttle routes?

https://www.northwestern.edu/transportation-parking/shuttles/routes

@Busjack would probably have the best answer,  but...

At one time transit agencies were involved in charter work until charter companies complained about transit agencies with government funding created unfair competition in this area.   Therefore the government pretty much banned transit agencies from doing charter work.  Campus shuttle services would fall under this category.  However,  the government did leave a loophole that says any such work that transit agencies can do must be a "public route" which is how CTA won the University of Chicago routes.  However those aren't campus shuttles in the sense that their shuttles operates strictly on campus.

So it may be possible for CTA to have budded , but those would have to be public routes.  NORTHWESTERN  had a route operating between the Evanston campus and the downtown campus which was a Pace route,  but Pace actually contracted with Royal American to operate the service.   Eventually Pace bowed out ( or was cut out) and Royal American contracted with Northwestern directly.  Royal American sold to Free Enterprise and apparently still operate that service.   I don't know what carriers operate on campus only service for each campus.  

Free Enterprise also operates the downtown campus to downtown Metra station shuttles for Northwestern University and CTA sort of competes with the 120 and 221 rush service .  Northwestern doesn't subsidize that.

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

@Busjack would probably have the best answer,  but...

At one time transit agencies were involved in charter work until charter companies complained about transit agencies with government funding created unfair competition in this area.   Therefore the government pretty much banned transit agencies from doing charter work.  Campus shuttle services would fall under this category.  However,  the government did leave a loophole that says any such work that transit agencies can do must be a "public route" which is how CTA won the University of Chicago routes.  However those aren't campus shuttles in the sense that their shuttles operates strictly on campus.

So it may be possible for CTA to have budded , but those would have to be public routes.  NORTHWESTERN  had a route operating between the Evanston campus and the downtown campus which was a Pace route,  but Pace actually contracted with Royal American to operate the service.   Eventually Pace bowed out ( or was cut out) and Royal American contracted with Northwestern directly.  Royal American sold to Free Enterprise and apparently still operate that service.   I don't know what carriers operate on campus only service for each campus.  

Free Enterprise also operates the downtown campus to downtown Metra station shuttles for Northwestern University and CTA sort of competes with the 120 and 221 rush service .  Northwestern doesn't subsidize that.

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the background info.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, artthouwill said:

@Busjack would probably have the best answer....

That's essentially correct. Northwestern subsidizes fares on 201, but it is a public route. FTA doesn't allow carriers to compete with charter companies, except after a stringent process

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ajkostner said:

can anyone tell me which cta bus routes use Artics for school trips? i believe addison does, but i’m curious what other routes. also what happened to the 91 reroute to taft high school?

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

7, 49, 92, 56, 152, 206

I believe the 62 also 

As fir the 91, I thought it might still have a tripper but I don't know.   Perhaps that changed when the 86 and 91 swapped north terminals.  Either way artics didn't seem to be used for Taft.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I believe the 62 also 

As fir the 91, I thought it might still have a tripper but I don't know.   Perhaps that changed when the 86 and 91 swapped north terminals.  Either way artics didn't seem to be used for Taft.

yes forgot to mention and yea 91 used to have taft trippers from roosevelt and from taft but now there is a run (F170) from taft as 68 comes to jeff park turns into a 91

7 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I believe the following routes uses Artics for school trippers in addition to the routes mentioned above...15, 21, 28, 30, 34, 35, 39, 50, 52, 60, 62, 82, 95, 100, 103, 106, 108, 111, 112, 115, 119

O have never seen artics on the 35 or the 39 pr the 100.  The latter two routes used to have Optimal on them when VTA had them.

10 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I believe the following routes uses Artics for school trippers in addition to the routes mentioned above...15, 21, 28, 30, 34, 35, 39, 50, 52, 60, 62, 82, 95, 100, 103, 106, 108, 111, 112, 115, 119

15 probably has trippers from CVS.  The 15 may also have trippers from Kenwood.   The route also serves Hyde Park  Career Academy and South Shore High School

21 serves Benito Juarez High School 

24 serves Simeon (no artics).  May have some Julian trippers 

28 serves Kenwood and Hyde Park 

30 serves CVS

34 serves Harlan and Carver

35 serves Bronzeville  ( still haven't seen artics) and may have a trippers from Dunbar, but since the 31 serves the School and 35th Red and Green Line service it may not be necessary. 

39 serves Wendell Phillips  ( still haven't seen artics)

50 serves Lane Tech indirectly

52 used to serve Lane Tech but replaced by the 94

53 serves Orr

60 serves Juarez

62 has trippers from Curie

68 trippers from Taft

79 has ( or had) trippers from Simeon.  Not sure if artics were used. Also serves Bogan.

87 serves CVS, usually with short turns at Anthony.  Also serves Bowen. 

95 serves Harlan 

100 serves Washington 

103 serves Julian with short turns at Vincennes 

106 has trippers from Collins

108 has trippers to Carver 

111 serves Gwendolyn Brooks and Fenner.

112 Serves Julian and Morgan Park 

115 serves Corliss

119 serves Harlan. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, artthouwill said:

15 probably has trippers from CVS.  The 15 may also have trippers from Kenwood.   The route also serves Hyde Park  Career Academy and South Shore High School

30 serves CVS

35 serves Bronzeville  ( still haven't seen artics) and may have a trippers from Dunbar, but since the 31 serves the School and 35th Red and Green Line service it may not be necessary. 

53 serves Orr

60 serves Juarez

68 trippers from Taft

79 has ( or had) trippers from Simeon.  Not sure if artics were used. Also serves Bogan.

95 serves Harlan 

100 serves Washington 

115 serves Corliss

119 serves Harlan. 

I believe 30 School Trippers serves Washington HS and St. Francis De Sales HS as well. 103 School Trippers serves Brother Rice/Mother McAuley over by 99th/Pulaski trips as well.

Edited by renardo870
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

30 serves CVS

53 serves Orr

60 serves Juarez

68 trippers from Taft

95 serves Harlan 

100 serves Washington 

115 serves Corliss

119 serves Harlan. 

To add on,
49: Lane Tech and Roberto Clemente Academy
54B: St. Laurence/Queen of Peace H.S, and it's PM trip (From 74th) becomes a 47th bus upon arrival at Cicero & Archer, then a 9 to 74th upon arrival at 47th & Ashland
56:  Schurz High School, (Tripper from NP)

82: Serves Von Steuben and has trips for Northside College Prep, usually daily artics from NP
85: Has trips for Foreman College and Career academy,
91 serves St. Patrick High school
92: Northside College Prep (WB Trip from FG), and Ammundsen High School, interesting how the Northside trip from FG has an interline with the 88, and 90 on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri, but on Wed it has a 56 interline
93: Serves ETHS, and Mather HS
94: Serves Lane Tech, Kelly H.S
152: Lane Tech (NP)
206: ETHS (NP)

• Upvote 2

On 2/6/2023 at 11:48 PM, ChicagoRail said:

Well as it stands right now there's one New Flyer (1393) on #81 Lawrence, so I guess I could say that I seem to see Novas on the route more often than I see New Flyers.

Yeah FG hasn't quite made any route it runs all Nova just yet. One day some routes may not have any or many NFs at all. Then the next day, those very same routes will have a boatload of them. I've noticed that with the 77 and 84 for example, though 77 can still be Nova heavy.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:34 PM, artthouwill said:

I believe the 62 also 

Actually 86 and 91 didn't swap north ends. 86 simply took over the Nagle leg of the 91 after the CTA decided to extend the 86 north of Wright College, which by the way gave riders on that portion all day service as the 91 operated it during rush periods. But yes after that the 91 only operated north of Lawrence for school trips.

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea but it's rare when you can get it up that fast don't ask me how I know ???

The old books (about when the 2600s were new) said that they could go 70 mph, but were limited by the signal system to 55. Other than the Dan Ryan and past Jefferson Park, it doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

The old books (about when the 2600s were new) said that they could go 70 mph, but were limited by the signal system to 55. Other than the Dan Ryan and past Jefferson Park, it doesn't matter.

Not all tries are limited you still got some that can get up to 70 unless they then changed it over the last 2 years

Do any of you all look at other operators driving habits and wonder how are they still on the job as I was doing the x49 this evening. I see a 20 bus come westbound and I mean he was hauling sign said he was only going to Pulaski. But the speed he was going was something I was concerned about he was going so fast i couldn't even get his bus number just seen it was a male driver