Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I could be wrong,  but it seems like CTA'S sogn program is system wide and I'm not sure if Pace does their on an individual garage basis.    I remember when I worked for a Pace contractor, buses we received from Pace garages or other contractors had to be programmed for our routes before we could use them

I would guess Pace still operates this way.

I can understand why CTA'S signage would have to be systemwide considering the loaners, fill-ins  extras, and garage swaps.  That said. CTA does need to differentiate the local 28s from the downtown 28s, especially because of the different Hyde Park routings.  X28 or 27 works fine, but the South Deering to 112th/Torrence might pop up. ?

What I said had nothing to do with systemwide. The only thing I was meaning to say was that CTA does not have a logical method for assigning and purging codes. I only mentioned Pace because someone once posted a Pace code list for NS garage in the format of TRRR, where T stands for the terminal and RRR the route, such as 1215 for 215 OLD ORCHARD, 2215 for 215 HOWARD CTA, etc.

The only consequence of CTA using the same signs systemwide is that a whole lot of codes may be mismatched, but the error shows up in a different part of town, such as 90N on 95. With all the CTA bus moves, though, CTA has to reset sign codes on ~1900 buses numerous times per year.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

What I said had nothing to do with systemwide. The only thing I was meaning to say was that CTA does not have a logical method for assigning and purging codes. I only mentioned Pace because someone once posted a Pace code list for NS garage in the format of TRRR, where T stands for the terminal and RRR the route, such as 1215 for 215 OLD ORCHARD, 2215 for 215 HOWARD CTA, etc.

The only consequence of CTA using the same signs systemwide is that a whole lot of codes may be mismatched, but the error shows up in a different part of town, such as 90N on 95. With all the CTA bus moves, though, CTA has to reset sign codes on ~1900 buses numerous times per year.

I don't know if you understand what I meant but I understand what you are saying.   There gas to be a better way of deleting codes before reusing them.   Ir would be time consuming in that when the X4 returned to service codes would have to be reset for every bus systemwide.   But as @YoungBusLover references, apparently every bus hasn't been reset yet at the home garage (77th).  So I guess each individual garage is responsible for reprogramming their own buses as codes are updated.  I don't work for CTA,  but it would seem like they could have just reactivated or reuse the codes in the system that they already had for the previous X4 rather than creating a new code which just happened to be the old codes for the X28, or delete the nonexistent routes first, then you have those codes available to reprogram at the appropriate times.   But like you said,  this may have to be done several times a year. 

13 hours ago, curiousgent31385 said:

Here are the average interstation figures for all of the L lines. I used the following equation to calculate them.

average interstation figure [in miles] = length of line[in miles]/(number of stations on the line - 1)

Average_Interstation.thumb.jpg.1490c225cf58d1ae7d6769d50abb8743.jpg

Not bad, but there are a few things I would like to point out.

• The Green Line has 30 stations total, but a train running along the line will only serve 28 of them, since each of the 63rd Street branches has two stations.

•How many stations the Purple Line serves is dramatically different based on if it is a Purple Line Shuttle or Purple Line Express. When running as a shuttle, it only serves 9 stations along 3.9 miles of track, giving it an average of .43 miles between stations using your formula. And this brings me to my last point.

•The mileage between stations can vary depending on various factors, including whether you are including the stations the line shares with other lines, or if you are only counting stations that are exclusive to the line. This is especially noticeable on the Orange Line because of how its stations are spaced on its own route (1.31 miles between stations average) VS the spacing of the stations in the Loop (.25 miles between stations average).

I spent more time on the last two points because I was discussing this with another person recently, that the Orange Line has one less station before Roosevelt than the Purple Line does before Howard despite having more ground to cover, and it certainly feels like riding on the Orange Line is always a quick trip.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Not bad, but there are a few things I would like to point out.

• The Green Line has 30 stations total, but a train running along the line will only serve 28 of them, since each of the 63rd Street branches has two stations.

•How many stations the Purple Line serves is dramatically different based on if it is a Purple Line Shuttle or Purple Line Express. When running as a shuttle, it only serves 9 stations along 3.9 miles of track, giving it an average of .43 miles between stations using your formula. And this brings me to my last point.

•The mileage between stations can vary depending on various factors, including whether you are including the stations the line shares with other lines, or if you are only counting stations that are exclusive to the line. This is especially noticeable on the Orange Line because of how its stations are spaced on its own route (1.31 miles between stations average) VS the spacing of the stations in the Loop (.25 miles between stations average).

I spent more time on the last two points because I was discussing this with another person recently, that the Orange Line has one less station before Roosevelt than the Purple Line does before Howard despite having more ground to cover, and it certainly feels like riding on the Orange Line is always a quick trip.

Valid points.

I just wanted to get quick metrics by using whatever information was available on Wikipedia. I saw the Paris Metro page had these figures so I was curious and wanted to calculate them for the L.

If I have time in the future, I thought about replicating this with the branches (O'Hare vs. Congress) or listing out specific services like you mentioned (like Purple Line Shuttle).

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I had got one of the 8400's yesterday when I relied a driver & I like it it's better then the 79's K got but I am still like why they didn't tint the driver window they they they look cool as hell with the tint tho

It .may look cool   but it's not considered safe

Drivers windows aren't tinted for that reason 

Night vision would be severely affected  by it.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It .may look cool   but it's not considered safe

Drivers windows aren't tinted for that reason 

Night vision would be severely affected  by it.

If you don't go dark it don't but the tints not that dark cause at night you can see right through it bit it looks cool tho

11 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Sounds like he was looking for someone  that he thought may have been on the bus.  Purposely hitting vehicles is a thing ob the South Side  but usually the motivation is a carjacking or robbery.   The fact that the bus driver took pictures of the truck ( and probably the license pkates) sent this in a different direction. 

Mt experience is the police won't respond to a minor accident.  When damage is minor ( under $1500), both vehicles are drivable,  and there are no injuries, the police want drivers to exchange information and go to the nearest police station to fill out a report.  Bus drivers are also encouraged to get witnesses and their information.   The police wouldn't have otherwise come out except for the fact that the man pulled out a gun. He didn't go far as Sherman Park is nearby at 52nd to Garfield and Racine to Loomis.  I believe the lagoon is in the west side of the park.

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Yeah that's just crossing the line in so many ways, road rage is really gotten to a boiling point these days. Usually most accidents involving CTA are hit and runs from what I've been told and usually the operators aren't at fault if they're following SOPs. However, if possible we are suppose to gather all information from  drivers of the opposing vehicles involved and gather witness information via Courtesy cards. I'm not surprised it went there in this case it did occur in Englewood of all places one of  my old neighborhoods. I'm glad my coworkers weren't seriously hurt because that is terrifying no doubt.

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Sounds like he was looking for someone  that he thought may have been on the bus.  Purposely hitting vehicles is a thing ob the South Side  but usually the motivation is a carjacking or robbery.   The fact that the bus driver took pictures of the truck ( and probably the license pkates) sent this in a different direction. 

Mt experience is the police won't respond to a minor accident.  When damage is minor ( under $1500), both vehicles are drivable,  and there are no injuries, the police want drivers to exchange information and go to the nearest police station to fill out a report.  Bus drivers are also encouraged to get witnesses and their information.   The police wouldn't have otherwise come out except for the fact that the man pulled out a gun. He didn't go far as Sherman Park is nearby at 52nd to Garfield and Racine to Loomis.  I believe the lagoon is in the west side of the park.

He wanted to get caught cause how did you crash & point the gun outsouth but ditched the gun outwest & still get caught yea e snitched on himself glad the driver didn't get hurt 

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

He didn't go far as Sherman Park is nearby at 52nd to Garfield and Racine to Loomis.  I believe the lagoon is in the west side of the park.

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

but ditched the gun outwest

Rereading the article, it didn't say where the gun was ditched. Bad editing on the Sun-Times' part.

4 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm sure that incident took place further south and it ended at 51st but I see where you're getting at.

Doesn't appear so. The article said:

A man was taken into custody after he allegedly pointed a gun at a bus driver following a minor traffic incident Sunday in Back of the Yards.

The man was driving a gray 2000 Chevy Silverado about 11:30 a.m. when he struck a bus in the 5100 block of South Ashland Avenue, Chicago police said.

(emphasis added)

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Rereading the article, it didn't say where the gun was ditched. Bad editing on the Sun-Times' part.

The article said the vehicle was found at a nearby park.  I'm saying that Sherman Park is the closest Park to the incident and has a lagoon in the park.

Technically the border between Englewood and the Back of the Yards is 51st Street.   So actually @YoungBusLover is correct that it actually occurred in Englewood.   It's not the first time that news reporters have mixed up neighborhoods,  especially on the South Side. Sherman Park at 52nd and Racine is in and considered Englewood  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Technically the border between Englewood and the Back of the Yards is 51st Street.   So actually @YoungBusLover is correct that it actually occurred in Englewood.   It's not the first time that news reporters have mixed up neighborhoods,  especially on the South Side. Sherman Park at 52nd and Racine is in and considered

The map I cited was an official City map of the 77, which, curiously, does not include Bronzeville (considered there "Near South").