Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 minutes ago, jajuan said:

To add on Art noting that the O'Hare branch has a higher ridership than the Forest Park branch, the short turns are also CTA's way of keeping the trains even in that regard after shutting down Blue Line service along the 54th/Cermak branch in 2006 with their creating the Pink Line and moving the 54th Ave service to that line. Before the Pink Line existed, Blue Line trains on the West Side portion alternated services between the Forest Park branch and the 54th/Cermak branch.

True

Even before the split, there were rush hour trains that short turned at UIC Halsted.  Not only was the O'Hare branch heavier than the west side Blue Line services, there was a significant difference between the ridership of the Congress branch and the Douglas branch.  Notice that the Pink Line service only uses 4 car consists at all times of operation 

When part of the Blue Line, they had to use 8 car consists.  The cars were nearly empty past Polk or 18th St.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, artthouwill said:

Actually the 2 starts at  60th and Cotrage Grove    Since the bus is coming from 7, it uses Garfield and runs through Washington Park to get to  60th and Cottage.

That is a short cut some operators use to get over there, we're suppose to take Vincennes over to 71st then head EB to Cottage NB to 60th.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

That is a short cut some operators use to get over there, we're suppose to take Vincennes over to 71st then head EB to Cottage NB to 60th.  

I've seen drivers go this way ( through the park) since the 1 and 2 used to end at Drexel Square 

The only exceptiowere when some of those buses became 4s after ending at Drexel Square. They would go south on Cottage Grove to 95th.   Those that deadheaded went through the park.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I've seen drivers go this way ( through the park) since the 1 and 2 used to end at Drexel Square 

The only exceptiowere when some of those buses became 4s after ending at Drexel Square. They would go south on Cottage Grove to 95th.   Those that deadheaded went through the park.

Interesting I didn't know they did that. I've always wondered if that could be a possible thing to add a SB trip to 95th via the 2. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Interesting I didn't know they did that. I've always wondered if that could be a possible thing to add a SB trip to 95th via the 2. 

Back then the 2 was a peak direction only route.   Now it's a bidirectional route.   I don't know if the later ending 2s continue  as 4s or if they deadhead back to 77th. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The 57 is the sweetest route I've ever done besides people OD off the drugs at lake street it's a straight short route almost put me in mind of pace 308 route 

I am wondering how you were able to pick #57? I would think a higher seniority guy would want #57 since it's a light route.

13 hours ago, EdwardL803 said:

I had a Chicago transit history question.

Did the Metropolitan Main Line and the Garfield Park Branch (former elevated rapid transit lines) run in an alley between Van Buren and Congress? Was their layout/configuration similar to the South Side Elevated branch of the Green Line?

From Market St (Wacker Drive) the four track main line was built between Jackson and Van Buren. Between Des Plaines and Halsted it ran south before heading west between Van Buren and Congress. Between Center Ave (Racine) and Throop St was a three track shop facility between the two inbound and outbound tracks and immediately west of this was the power house, at this point the footprint of the power house with tracks either side was 100 feet wide. The Garfield Branch continued as a two track line between Van Buren and Congress to just west of Sacramento where it headed south to run west between Harrison and Flournoy St to the original terminal at 48th Ave (Cicero).

At places along the main line there was a street adjacent or under the line, Tilden St, which ran at least from Racine to Morgan.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, urbanguy0508 said:

These bus route groups, were they created for the “Meeting the Moment” scorecard or are they classifications that CTA has always used?

https://transitchicago.com/meetingthemoment/scorecard

Fm6bSoHXoAIFFBB.jpg

I don't know about those groups of numbers, but this survey indicates that perceptions are not good.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, curiousgent31385 said:

When I log into my account on the Ventra website, I'm not seeing my "use" transactions in the 'Ventra Transit History.' In other words, I can't seem to see what bus routes and train lines I've ridden in the recent past.

Is anyone else also having this issue? Is there a way to fix this?

I've had this issue as well. Also noticing a lot more connecting to server errors when adding funds or passes to my Ventra card in the app.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Just when I thought things couldn't any weirder I see a few X4s signed up as the X28 over the past few weeks, maybe it's a sign from the CTA gods themselves to resurrect the old route. ????

This issue was similarly discussed in connection with the Fall 2016 pick where the new 95 was displaying 90N signs. Especially since the Clever Device sends the code to the sign controller, and the drivers don't see the codes, CTA should just clear out the existing sign controller, which would eliminate the obsolete readings, and use a system such as what Pace uses (X4 to 95th/State could be something like F041, substituting F for X because hexadecimal only goes to F). Otherwise, CTA will be just perpetuating the mess.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

This issue was similarly discussed in connection with the Fall 2016 pick where the new 95 was displaying 90N signs. Especially since the Clever Device sends the code to the sign controller, and the drivers don't see the codes, CTA should just clear out the existing sign controller, which would eliminate the obsolete readings, and use a system such as what Pace uses (X4 to 95th/State could be something like F041, substituting F for X because hexadecimal only goes to F). Otherwise, CTA will be just perpetuating the mess.

I could be wrong,  but it seems like CTA'S sogn program is system wide and I'm not sure if Pace does their on an individual garage basis.    I remember when I worked for a Pace contractor, buses we received from Pace garages or other contractors had to be programmed for our routes before we could use them

I would guess Pace still operates this way.

I can understand why CTA'S signage would have to be systemwide considering the loaners, fill-ins  extras, and garage swaps.  That said. CTA does need to differentiate the local 28s from the downtown 28s, especially because of the different Hyde Park routings.  X28 or 27 works fine, but the South Deering to 112th/Torrence might pop up. ?