Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

16 minutes ago, Bus1883 said:

I’m guessing the scenario is if a railcar gets badly damaged in a accident if it’s mate wasn’t damaged at all then perhaps the mate won’t be renumbered but just paired with another car depending if another set of cars were involved in accidents resulting with one car damaged. Example: 3352 collided with a car and derailed at Kedzie and was retired afterwards while 3351 wasn’t. 3447 was T-boned in the kimball yard which resulted it being retired and 3448 wasn’t injured. That’s why 3351-3448 were mated without any renumbering.

Good point.

1 hour ago, Bus1883 said:

I would say this 3455-3456 would have been the last 3200s in the 3200-series if 3457 was never ordered to keep former 3032 alive however they’re the last 3200s with roofboards. I’m guessing the scenario is if a railcar gets badly damaged in a accident if it’s mate wasn’t damaged at all then perhaps the mate won’t be renumbered but just paired with another car depending if another set of cars were involved in accidents resulting with one car damaged. Example: 3352 collided with a car and derailed at Kedzie and was retired afterwards while 3351 wasn’t. 3447 was T-boned in the kimball yard which resulted it being retired and 3448 wasn’t injured. That’s why 3351-3448 were mated without any renumbering. 3031 of course smacked a switch at Wilson station and was retired after, 3458 aka 3032 survived but needed a new mate if that one was retired then that would have left 3455-3456 to be the last 3200s. 

That's a good point I remember that 

Guest ChicagoRail
7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Which brings up another numbering issue, With 6721-6722 and 2351-2352, mismatches were renumberd because there were gaps after the series ended. However, there wasn't any gao after 2400 series car 2600 and 2600 series car 3200, so the original numbers were retained. There is a gap after 3456, so 3457-8 could be used.

The 2400 Series rail cars did actually end with 2599-2600.

Wondering if anybody knows approximately what year(s) that CTA employees with badge numbers going from 12XXX to 19XXX were hired. I also wonder if a lot of these folks are still working. I did see an operator with a 12XXX badge number recently out of Forest Glen working #86. There was another guy who would do #77 who had a 12XXXX badge and I had seen him earlier this year, but I believe he's retired now. Finally, also curious as into whether there are any still any folks with 4-digit badge numbers that are still working. Last time I saw someone with a 4 digit number was back in about 2018. I'm sure all of those folks are gone now. Just curious about this especially now that I don't even see too many folks with a badge number starting in 2 nowadays.

11 hours ago, TGranzow29 said:

Wondering if anybody knows approximately what year(s) that CTA employees with badge numbers going from 12XXX to 19XXX were hired. I also wonder if a lot of these folks are still working. I did see an operator with a 12XXX badge number recently out of Forest Glen working #86. There was another guy who would do #77 who had a 12XXXX badge and I had seen him earlier this year, but I believe he's retired now. Finally, also curious as into whether there are any still any folks with 4-digit badge numbers that are still working. Last time I saw someone with a 4 digit number was back in about 2018. I'm sure all of those folks are gone now. Just curious about this especially now that I don't even see too many folks with a badge number starting in 2 nowadays.

There’s a 4 digit badge driver who did the 90 last time I saw him was in May. His number is line the DE60LF range so he’s probably from the 60’s or 70’s. Harlem also gets a fair share of 2xxxx drivers,there’s one 25xxx driver who always does Harlem so much I see him like almost every time I even ride Harlem lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

There’s a 4 digit badge driver who did the 90 last time I saw him was in May. His number is line the DE60LF range so he’s probably from the 60’s or 70’s. Harlem also gets a fair share of 2xxxx drivers,there’s one 25xxx driver who always does Harlem so much I see him like almost every time I even ride Harlem lol.

Harlem definitely has a couple of guys out there with 25XXX badges. I was out there a couple of weeks ago and saw at least two. I was just surprised to still see the guy doing #86 with the 12XXX badge - I used to catch him daily when I was riding the #86 during my time as a student and employee of Wright College from 2012 to 2017. He's gotta have at least 50 years on him now.

Really surprised to hear that there was the guy with the 4 digit badge number out there. He's probably from the 60s. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was working #56 on Saturday nights for a while about 6 years ago, and he would work #80 as well.

74th St. had an operator with a 14XXX badge working on #62 earlier this year. Not sure if she's still out there but I saw her back in March. Really surprised to see that one too.

The badges used to be organized in segments, bus operators had 4 digit badges and rail side had 5 digits and reused, in the early-mid 90s they went to sequential ordering for everyone starting with the 25-26xxx and increasing ever since. The people you're seeing are probably more in the 30-35 year range of service and switched to buses when conductors/ticket agents were phased out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TGranzow29 said:

Harlem definitely has a couple of guys out there with 25XXX badges. I was out there a couple of weeks ago and saw at least two. I was just surprised to still see the guy doing #86 with the 12XXX badge - I used to catch him daily when I was riding the #86 during my time as a student and employee of Wright College from 2012 to 2017. He's gotta have at least 50 years on him now.

Really surprised to hear that there was the guy with the 4 digit badge number out there. He's probably from the 60s. If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was working #56 on Saturday nights for a while about 6 years ago, and he would work #80 as well.

74th St. had an operator with a 14XXX badge working on #62 earlier this year. Not sure if she's still out there but I saw her back in March. Really surprised to see that one too.

I just saw a driver on the 146 a few minutes ago with a 12xxx badge as well

• Upvote 1