Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

The best I can recommend to that young lady that was attacked is to take the 95 over to Halsted take the 8A then regular 8. The 8 will get you to the west loop in under 45 minutes and from there pick your poison as far as routes getting into the loop are concerned.  King Drive is a toss it'd be different if the X3 was reinstated via the 95th red line just like the X4 will be in November. Having express N/S routes via King/Cottage would solve a lot issues people have in regards to the red line in terms of safety.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

The best I can recommend to that young lady that was attacked is to take the 95 over to Halsted take the 8A then regular 8. The 8 will get you to the west loop in under 45 minutes and from there pick your poison as far as routes getting into the loop are concerned.  King Drive is a toss it'd be different if the X3 was reinstated via the 95th red line just like the X4 will be in November. Having express N/S routes via King/Cottage would solve a lot issues people have in regards to the red line in terms of safety.

That's basically $5  one way, which is what she might have budgeted to spend round trip, unless she has a U Pass,  if they still exist.   If she's going to spend that, then the ME at 95th CSU is a better option.  It's a short walk from Harold Washington College to Millennium Station.   Depending on her class schedule, it should fit the 20 minute frequency of rush hour service.   Depending on how far south she lives, CsU might not be the station closest to her house   If she is too far west then the RI is an option but a longer walk from her school.

23 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That's basically $5  one way, which is what she might have budgeted to spend round trip, unless she has a U Pass,  if they still exist.   If she's going to spend that, then the ME at 95th CSU is a better option.  It's a short walk from Harold Washington College to Millennium Station.   Depending on her class schedule, it should fit the 20 minute frequency of rush hour service.   Depending on how far south she lives, CsU might not be the station closest to her house   If she is too far west then the RI is an option but a longer walk from her school.

U-Passes still exist 

On 9/1/2022 at 12:48 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Same boat. The worst I've seen on the buses is what I've mentioned before; only on the 79 have I really witnessed stuff where the whole bus needed to get off or the police needed to be called (although there have been about 3 times in the last 3 years I missed a J14 and then apparently narrowly avoided some issue at 71st/Jeffery lol)

IMO, this all showcases the need for both more frequent service, and more reliable service. The worst part about any of these journeys is typically waiting for your bus/train, transfer or beginning of the trip, usually due to some combination of safety & time concerns. I'd mind waiting at 79th Red less if I knew a 75 would reliably be coming in under 8 or mins or begrudgingly, even a 79. The 2022 uptick in ghost buses doesn't help.

For me when I commute from where I live on the Northside in the North Center area to Hyde Park I take brown line to State and Lake to transfer to the 6. I’d rather catch the 6 at state and lake to guarantee a seat depending on time of day. One of my friends thought to take the red line to Garfield but I’d rather transfer downtown than to do the transfer in an area I’m not familiar with. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

It’s going to be a non revenue maintenance facility which I believe will store extra other cars needing repairs while that makes more room for Skokie to do their quarter life overhaul on the 5000-series. 

Yea I know this storage yard but like you say they might be building another shop to help Skokie 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

When the service is a reflection of the area it serves it speaks volumes. There has been one bus on 79th for an about an hour or so now and there hasn't been another one since then. I will be shocked to see if no night-owls pop up tonight. 

79th 2.png

last trip on 79th? so far nothing has popped up 79th wise on maths lol

This is the other deficency of what is occuring with BustRacker.

On Wednesday, I was taking part in Logan Square Beer Week. I was at Marz @ Western & Armitage - looking out on Western. I had the overhauled BustRacker on one tab of my laptop. A couple of times that evening, a northbound route #49 bus which was not appearing on BustRacker ran by.

A bus not showing up on BustRacker is as rough, if not rougher, then a display reporting it will arrive in ## minutes ~ but does not. Whoever is maintaining BustRacker's software needs to get the stern word from a supervisor. Fix it. ?