Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

What causes the stop announcements to be roughly half a block late on the westbound #95?

Boarding near 92nd and Commercial stops are announced prior to the bus reaching them. When the bus gets on 93rd street after stopping at Anthony and Escanaba  subsequent stops seem to be announced after the street is crossed. ?

13 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

What causes the stop announcements to be roughly half a block late on the westbound #95?

Boarding near 92nd and Commercial stops are announced prior to the bus reaching them. When the bus gets on 93rd street after stopping at Anthony and Escanaba  subsequent stops seem to be announced after the street is crossed. ?

GPS maybe?  I've seen that from time to time on different routes  

3 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Alot of these buses for whatever have had this issue for a while now, I don't know if the actual clever device system is bugged out from all the G-forces it takes or what but it is quite annoying when everything is running sometimes 1-2 blocks behind as far as announcements are concerned.

40 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I'm sure today might be a crazy day with the Beats preseason game at Soldier Field and the Bud Billiken Parade happening at the same time.  Good luck to the south side drivers. Especially those operating the 3 and the 4. I'm not going anywhere near either event  

Man it's wild out here right now but it'll die down after about 5.

1 minute ago, Jackson232 said:

Can somebody give me some info about the Avon express 

it was at one time Pace routes 424 and 425, running from the Lawndale area as a workforce development supported route. A some point, they needed a bigger bus, so CTA took over. With the Crowd Reductin Plan, CTA made the benefited parties pay 100% of the cost, and whoever  made the decision that the late shift needed a way home, but otherwise everyone else could take 208 or 423.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm sure today might be a crazy day with the Beats preseason game at Soldier Field and the Bud Billiken Parade happening at the same time.  Good luck to the south side drivers. Especially those operating the 3 and the 4. I'm not going anywhere near either event  

Yea it's wild had the 3 & 4 running down 63rd i seen 6 buses 2 for the 3 4 for cottage & 2 for the 63 I was like dam it's a wild day over here plus you had the 55 rerouted also running down 59 with the 59th bus 

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

it was at one time Pace routes 424 and 425, running from the Lawndale area as a workforce development supported route. A some point, they needed a bigger bus, so CTA took over. With the Crowd Reductin Plan, CTA made the benefited parties pay 100% of the cost, and whoever  made the decision that the late shift needed a way home, but otherwise everyone else could take 208 or 423.

I couldn't remember exactly the route numbers but I certainly remember seeing the Pace buses  coming from the Edens onto the inbound Kennedy.  At the time,  I had no idea where the buses were coming from nor did I know where they were going.   Thanks for the clarification. 

21 hours ago, Jackson232 said:

Can somebody give me some info about the Avon express 

In detail, originally Pace 424, 425 – Avon Express - introduced 9/30/96 to serve Avon HQ at Golf/ Waukegan. #424 originally operated via Roosevelt Rd from Central/Jackson via Jackson, Central, Cicero, Jackson to I-94 then non-stop to Avon (Waukegan/Golf). #425 operated via Cermak Rd from Cicero to I-94 then non-stop to Avon.  In 1999 #424 operated 2j (5:37 & 14:07 ret 0:25 & 15:25) and #425 3j (5:30, 14:15, 23:00 (from Kedzie) ret 0:25, 7:10 & 15:25). Effective 5/13/2002 restructured to #424 only, operating between Irving Park CTA station and Avon. Replaced 6/23/2002 by new CTA #X98.

Cta began X98 Avon Express 6/23/2002 M-F shift-change bus service, replacing Pace 424 Avon Express, from Keystone terminal via Irving Park-Keeler-Kennedy Expressway-Edens Expressway-Dempster-Waukegan to Avon terminal, returning via Golf-Harms-Central-Dempster-Edens Expressway-Kennedy Expressway-Irving Park. From 4/1/2013 discontinued northbound service, rerouted southbound bus via Edens Expressway-Cicero-Foster-Milwaukee to Jefferson Park terminal. Operated from North Park (6/23/2002-4/1/2013), and Forest Glen (4/1/2013 to date)

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

In detail, originally Pace 424, 425 – Avon Express - introduced 9/30/96 to serve Avon HQ at Golf/ Waukegan. #424 originally operated via Roosevelt Rd from Central/Jackson via Jackson, Central, Cicero, Jackson to I-94 then non-stop to Avon (Waukegan/Golf). #425 operated via Cermak Rd from Cicero to I-94 then non-stop to Avon.  In 1999 #424 operated 2j (5:37 & 14:07 ret 0:25 & 15:25) and #425 3j (5:30, 14:15, 23:00 (from Kedzie) ret 0:25, 7:10 & 15:25). Effective 5/13/2002 restructured to #424 only, operating between Irving Park CTA station and Avon. Replaced 6/23/2002 by new CTA #X98.

Cta began X98 Avon Express 6/23/2002 M-F shift-change bus service, replacing Pace 424 Avon Express, from Keystone terminal via Irving Park-Keeler-Kennedy Expressway-Edens Expressway-Dempster-Waukegan to Avon terminal, returning via Golf-Harms-Central-Dempster-Edens Expressway-Kennedy Expressway-Irving Park. From 4/1/2013 discontinued northbound service, rerouted southbound bus via Edens Expressway-Cicero-Foster-Milwaukee to Jefferson Park terminal. Operated from North Park (6/23/2002-4/1/2013), and Forest Glen (4/1/2013 to date)

U don't follow your 424 and 425 routing  since Jackson doesn't touch u-94 except downtown.  Are you saying both routes headed downtown before hitting the Kennedy?  If so, that seems to be a weird route, but based on my sightings of these buses, it makes perfect sense.  I would have thought that running straight down Cicero to Foster and entering the Edens there would be faster, especially in rush traffic  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

U don't follow your 424 and 425 routing  since Jackson doesn't touch u-94 except downtown.  Are you saying both routes headed downtown before hitting the Kennedy?  If so, that seems to be a weird route, but based on my sightings of these buses, it makes perfect sense.  I would have thought that running straight down Cicero to Foster and entering the Edens there would be faster, especially in rush traffic  

He was a bit sloppy in that most of the route was on Roosevelt.

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, geneking7320 said:

Thanks for your replies to my question. I haven't noticed this problem when I ride routes 22,97, or 147 in the Rogers Park area. When I ride  south side routes like 3,4,J14,15,31 or 35 I haven't noticed it. i wonder if it something about #95 that affects the GPS.

NB 136 used to be notorious for this with every bus I've ridden after turning on to Sheridan from Foster and leaving the Sheridan/Foster stop. It's been pretty much resolved now, but every blue moon a stray bus crops with that issue. Now if only CTA fixes that glitch of NB buses announcing they run express from Delaware to Marine and Irving Park when approaching Wacker/Columbus. ??

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

NB 136 used to be notorious for this with every bus I've ridden after turning on to Sheridan from Foster and leaving the Sheridan/Foster stop. It's been pretty much resolved now, but every blue moon a stray bus crops with that issue. Now if only CTA fixes that glitch of NB buses announcing they run express from Delaware to Marine and Irving Park when approaching Wacker/Columbus. ??

That bizarre glitch also happens on SB express buses, telling up we're running express when we get to Oak Street.