Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw ok I thought that would have been 79th where they change driver at since the garage is right there 

It was at 79th for a long time. But the block got out of hand. In my opinion they should move it to 95th and give the route to 103rd. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah we voted to have our relief point moved from 79th to 71st and with some recent developments CSU may kick us out of the 95th Street terminal and both the 3 and 4 may end up going to the 95th Red line.

What developments?

If CSU were to kick CTA out, I can see the 3 going to 85th Red Line,  but not the 4.  The 4 could just use the 94th/Burnside turnaround for trips not going to 115th.

Now that you mentioned the police station,  it now makes sense that 71st is a relief point.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What developments?

If CSU were to kick CTA out, I can see the 3 going to 85th Red Line,  but not the 4.  The 4 could just use the 94th/Burnside turnaround for trips not going to 115th.

Now that you mentioned the police station,  it now makes sense that 71st is a relief point.  

it is true tho they want the 3 and 4 ending at 95th red line it may happen by years end

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah we voted to have our relief point moved from 79th to 71st and with some recent developments CSU may kick us out of the 95th Street terminal and both the 3 and 4 may end up going to the 95th Red line.

Dam wtf csu wanna do that for when they have students that take the bus there for class & dam didn't know that the relief point was moved 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

What developments?

Trust me a good majority of operators do not want 94th and Burnside as an option again especially with the X4 coming back that'll be to much congestion.

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

it is true tho they want the 3 and 4 ending at 95th red line it may happen by years end

That's what the rumors have been as of late as far as alternatives go.

2 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Dam wtf csu wanna do that for when they have students that take the bus there for class & dam didn't know that the relief point was moved 

I wish I knew the answer to that because it was shocking news to me when I found out last month. The bathroom we use there is locked and all we have is a portable washroom sitting adjacent to it.

Statement made by one of our union reps about the looming potential changes

"As some of you know, our buses will not continue to drop off in Chicago State University. The #3 King Drive will be relocated at or by the 95th Street Redline Terminal, but far as the #4 Cottage Grove, a location is still undecided. CTA wants the new terminal to be directly on 95th & Cottage Grove right next to the gas station as well as put a Porter Potty there for us. The Union is 100000 percent against this due to the area being unsafe & our issues with Porter Potties. We are asking them to allow the #4 to go to 95th terminal as well or to 103rd Street Garage, places where we're are safe, have access to a bathroom, & can get away from harsh elements."

4 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Trust me a good majority of operators do not want 94th and Burnside as an option again especially with the X4 coming back that'll be to much congestion.

I wish I knew the answer to that because it was shocking news to me when I found out last month. The bathroom we use there is locked and all we have is a portable washroom sitting adjacent to it.

"As some of you know, our buses will not continue to drop off in Chicago State University. The #3 King Drive will be relocated at or by the 95th Street Redline Terminal, but far as the #4 Cottage Grove, a location is still undecided. CTA wants the new terminal to be directly on 95th & Cottage Grove right next to the gas station as well as put a Porter Potty there for us. The Union is 100000 percent against this due to the area being unsafe & our issues with Porter Potties. We are asking them to allow the #4 to go to 95th terminal as well or to 103rd Street Garage, places where we're are safe, have access to a bathroom, & can get away from harsh elements."

I remember from 2007-2010, the 3 terminated at the southeast corner of 95th/State and the 4 terminated at 94th (Burnside).

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yea CSU bogus af & I agree on the issue with Porter potties cause when we had on on the 126 at Austin all times a people a use it & leave it bogus in there I see the 3 had a turn around spot at like 92nd that they closed down but that's still there but again need some that can get away from the elements that  just a bathroom spot but most def go to 95th cause ain't no room right there on the 4 for a turn around spot or just continue to run the 4 to 115th Metra stop & sent the 3 to 95th

2 hours ago, cta5658 said:

I remember from 2007-2010, the 3 terminated at the southeast corner of 95th/State and the 4 terminated at 94th (Burnside).

There was also the stink at the time that the students didn't feel safe walking to 94th.

9 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

If that's the case, then why bot just extend all 4s to 115th? 

I wonder if CTA thinks that putting the 3 abd the 4 at 95th Red Line station would cause congestion?    The terminals weren't built with island platforms like the old station, therefore fitting more buses.   At any given time there are 2 to three 3s at 95th CSU along with 1 or two 4s ( imagine more without the 115th trips).  That puts maybe 4 to 5 extra byses in the south terminal,  possibly meaning two buses would have to stage on 95th 

I suppose the alternative would be to route them via King Drive, 98th Pl, and State to 85th where the byses could stage BB on Srate across from the South terminal.   Drivers would have a short walk to access the racilities.   

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If that's the case, then why bot just extend all 4s to 115th? 

I wonder if CTA thinks that putting the 3 abd the 4 at 95th Red Line station would cause congestion?    The terminals weren't built with island platforms like the old station, therefore fitting more buses.   At any given time there are 2 to three 3s at 95th CSU along with 1 or two 4s ( imagine more without the 115th trips).  That puts maybe 4 to 5 extra byses in the south terminal,  possibly meaning two buses would have to stage on 95th 

I suppose the alternative would be to route them via King Drive, 98th Pl, and State to 85th where the byses could stage BB on Srate across from the South terminal.   Drivers would have a short walk to access the racilities.   

I made this mockup draft of what could potentially be a reality if the #3 & #4 are moved to the 95th Red Line. Some of these bays aren't as active as others from what I've seen during off peak hours which is why I have the #4 currently housed at two locations versus the #3. The #X4 does help alleviate some congestion if the #4000s are used directly on it during the rush periods. The #359 along with paratransit are a wild card based on it's arrival times and departures but outside of that things could workout in the end. The only other location I can think of as far as placement is concerned is the 103/106 area but that's if push comes to shove.  

Platform_Terminal_Map_2022.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:47 AM, YoungBusLover said:

Send the runs that don't go to 115th to 95th or over to 3 has plenty of room 

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I made this mockup draft of what could potentially be a reality if the #3 & #4 are moved to the 95th Red Line. Some of these bays aren't as active as others from what I've seen during off peak hours which is why I have the #4 currently housed at two locations versus the #3. The #X4 does help alleviate some congestion if the #4000s are used directly on it during the rush periods. The #359 along with paratransit are a wild card based on it's arrival times and departures but outside of that things could workout in the end. The only other location I can think of as far as placement is concerned is the 103/106 area but that's if push comes to shove.  

How would you route the 3&4 to that terminal? Nice work by the way. 

2 hours ago, NovaHater said:

Well, i think the 3 could stay on King Drive, make a right on 99th place which merges with State street after Michigan and terminate at 95th/State on the southeast corner. The 4 could right turn on 95th, left turn on King Drive and take the same routing (King Drive, 99th Place, State to 95th/State) or take 95th, Michigan, 98th Street, State to 95th/State or even just go down 95th from Cottage Grove to the terminal where the N9/359's bay is located. That's how i think it would be routed IMO.

11 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

That might work during most hours,  but I think rush hours would be insane.  I think the 3 going to the Red Line may be okay but not the 4.  The most sensible thing is to extend all trips to 115th.   Going to 95th or 103rd garage is almost as lengthy as going to 115th, and anywhere other than 94th or CSU defeats the purpose of the short turn.  I understand the safety aspect of not wanting to use the Burnside turnaround on Cottage Grove.   I haven't seen down King Drive in a minute, but CTA used to have a turnaround at  Burnside and King Drive.   If CTA still owns that property on the east side of King Drive,  perhaps the 4 could terminate there.  It's residential and the 4 could still serve CSU without clogging 95th Red Line terminal.  I think the 3 use to terminate there before extending to CSU.

8 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That might work during most hours,  but I think rush hours would be insane.  I think the 3 going to the Red Line may be okay but not the 4.  The most sensible thing is to extend all trips to 115th.   Going to 95th or 103rd garage is almost as lengthy as going to 115th, and anywhere other than 94th or CSU defeats the purpose of the short turn.  I understand the safety aspect of not wanting to use the Burnside turnaround on Cottage Grove.   I haven't seen down King Drive in a minute, but CTA used to have a turnaround at  Burnside and King Drive.   If CTA still owns that property on the east side of King Drive,  perhaps the 4 could terminate there.  It's residential and the 4 could still serve CSU without clogging 95th Red Line terminal.  I think the 3 use to terminate there before extending to CSU.

Yea I agree cause the 4 be using articles & not everybody know how to drive then so the 4 could run over to king ot it could turn around at 95th & just go the same way the 95e does back up to Cottage 

3 hours ago, NovaHater said:

Appreciate it! 

58 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

Well, i think the 3 could stay on King Drive, make a right on 99th place which merges with State street after Michigan and terminate at 95th/State on the southeast corner. The 4 could right turn on 95th, left turn on King Drive and take the same routing (King Drive, 99th Place, State to 95th/State) or take 95th, Michigan, 98th Street, State to 95th/State or even just go down 95th from Cottage Grove to the terminal where the N9/359's bay is located. That's how i think it would be routed IMO.

15 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

You both have good points and @cta5658 you pretty much described everything down to a T when it concerns the rerouting of both routes. That's exactly how I think CTA would try to do it. Way back in the day though both the #3 & #4 went as far as 94th/95th both used Burnside terminals if I'm not mistaken. The CTA still owns the property for 94th and King Drive but all in all I think the Red Line is the best option for everyone.  Easy Pull ins and Pull outs as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Appreciate it! 

You both have good points and @cta5658 you pretty much described everything down to a T when it concerns the rerouting of both routes. That's exactly how I think CTA would try to do it. Way back in the day though both the #3 & #4 went as far as 94th/95th both used Burnside terminals if I'm not mistaken. The CTA still owns the property for 94th and King Drive but all in all I think the Red Line is the best option for everyone.  Easy Pull ins and Pull outs as far as I'm concerned.

the 34/119 and 103/106 have 3 bays at 95th the 34 uses 1 bay all the time which is right on the corner before the 29 stop and the 119 uses the bay before the 34 bay and the 103/106 do the same right before making the right hand turn CTA could give up the 1 extra bay that 34/119 use to #3 and use 1 out of the 3 bays that 103/106 use for the #4 

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

the 34/119 and 103/106 have 3 bays at 95th the 34 uses 1 bay all the time which is right on the corner before the 29 stop and the 119 uses the bay before the 34 bay and the 103/106 do the same right before making the right hand turn CTA could give up the 1 extra bay that 34/119 use to #3 and use 1 out of the 3 bays that 103/106 use for the #4 

I think 34/119 has the extra bay because they have the highest frequency of all the routes that serve the terminal. Especially during the rush periods.  For that reason alone, 34/119 needs to keep the extra bay.  I would imagine the 3 might fit somewhere in the south terminal.   Perhaps moving the 381 to stage WB on 95th and board with WB 95 buses would help.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:47 AM, YoungBusLover said:

Question, when do you think things will be set in stone for sure?