Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

On 7/18/2022 at 7:27 AM, Busjack said:

The article is usual transit advocate stuff. Only thing different, with which I agree, is "We need concrete data and statistics." And it definitely "could" not "be modeled on the stop at Montrose Avenue, which features an escalator and staircase from street level to the platform," because it would have to be ADA accessible.

Exactly. Were they to put a stop there, it would be modeled after Harlem, albeit without the bus terminal. 

I don't see Nagle generating sufficient ridership to warrant a station. 

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Today I actually saw rwo "unarmed security guards" getting off the train at Forest Park.   They were wearing bright yellow vests with "SECURITY" on them.   I

?? what are they gone stop they are unarmed they just put em on there to be target practice 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, chrissz2613 said:

What does the CTA utilize to precisely specify locations along its lines? Does it use something like New York City's chaining system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Subway_chaining

Publicly, only something like "Pink Line near the Pulaski station." Never had mileposts or anything like that. Then there's whatever powers the Train Tracker system.

When dealing with construction on L lines, it's usually so many bents (cross girders) from an intersection. The two junctions in the Loop are Tower 12 and Tower 18, supposedly based on how many stations were once in the Loop.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Publicly, only something like "Pink Line near the Pulaski station." Never had mileposts or anything like that. Then there's whatever powers the Train Tracker system.

When dealing with construction on L lines, it's usually so many bents (cross girders) from an intersection. The two junctions in the Loop are Tower 12 and Tower 18, supposedly based on how many stations were once in the Loop.

Gotcha, I was curious to know if a chaining system was in place and if so, could it be used to “officially” measure the distance between L stations.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:23 PM, artthouwill said:

The questions are

2. In @Shannon CVPIexamples, he cutes CPD as the biggest offenders.  How will the city determine if a squad car at a bus stop deserves a ticket and who, if anyone will be liable for the citation if one is given?

On 7/22/2022 at 9:40 PM, Busjack said:

Sounds similar to when CTA drivers were caught running red lights. The city pays itself and then disciplines the offenders. I don't know if FOP has the contractual right to object.

This Sun-Times article on Lightfoot's security team getting red light and speed camera tickets indicates how it should be handled (but apparently isn't).

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

This Sun-Times article on Lightfoot's security team getting red light and speed camera tickets indicates how it should be handled (but apparently isn't).

8 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Exactly how Rahm henchmen was blowing lights & speed cams & shit 

I imagine that Daley's folks (both Daleys) probably did too.  Im sure this was a practice before Red Light Cameras.  I wonder how many governors have practiced this?

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I imagine that Daley's folks (both Daleys) probably did too.  Im sure this was a practice before Red Light Cameras.  I wonder how many governors have practiced this?

Exactly they break the very same laws but they make sure they get enforced on us as in all you mfs do as I say while I do what I wanna do 

7 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It's getting hard to find anything when people post EVERYTHING to "Random CTA"  when there is a topic for it, for example Thompson Center to be sold/demolished: What happens to the station?

I've asked that the 2 prior posts be moved.

I'd like to remind folks to use the search feature. 

That said, Thompson Center's discussion moved. https://chitransit.org/topic/3783-thompson-center-to-be-solddemolished-what-happens-to-the-station/#comment-80254

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

I'd like to remind folks to use the search feature. 

That said, Thompson Center's discussion moved. https://chitransit.org/topic/3783-thompson-center-to-be-solddemolished-what-happens-to-the-station/#comment-80254

Most of my posts are in response to a post, which happened here.  Sometimes it's not worth starting a new thread, as there are threads with only 1 or 3 posts in them.  Then we also found multiple threads with the same topic that had to be eventually merged.  Hence, whoever started the Random CTA, Random Pace, and Random Metra threads had small things in mind that weren't necessarily worth starting a new topic. Most if us know how to start a new topic thread I'd deemed necessary. 

The poster who initiated the Thompson Center discussion may be a new member and not yet authorized to start a new thread.  

12 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Most of my posts are in response to a post, which happened here.  Sometimes it's not worth starting a new thread, as there are threads with only 1 or 3 posts in them.  Then we also found multiple threads with the same topic that had to be eventually merged.  Hence, whoever started the Random CTA, Random Pace, and Random Metra threads had small things in mind that weren't necessarily worth starting a new topic. Most if us know how to start a new topic thread I'd deemed necessary. 

The poster who initiated the Thompson Center discussion may be a new member and not yet authorized to start a new thread.  

However, the point that @MetroShadow and I were trying to make was that there was an existing thread, so a new member would not have to start one, but comply with the pinned post

Also, it got you off-track, as you relied on some street corner publication's arguably partial coverage, while the "breadcrumbs" were discussed in the more specific spot.

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

While you are fair with that point, it could be better used for a separate topic in the first place. There is a LOT of randomness in the "CTA Random" page that it can be afforded its own page. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, artthouwill said:

Today I actually saw rwo "unarmed security guards" getting off the train at Forest Park.   They were wearing bright yellow vests with "SECURITY" on them.   I

They can’t be really doing anything if they are unarmed, what if armed robbers get onto the system they’ll end up shot or stabbed if they attempted to stop any of the robbers the only option they have left against them is to become a victim of society 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

While you are fair with that point, it could be better used for a separate topic in the first place. There is a LOT of randomness in the "CTA Random" page that it can be afforded its own page. 

I generally characterize this topic as "bizarre conduct associated with transit committed by someone other than the poster."

Basically, I was just trying to bring attention to two violations of "Is your post in the correct place" post, which @MetroShadowproperly says are avoided by using the SEARCH function: (1) creating unnecessary tropics, and (2) putting everything in this topic, both of which when there is an existing topic. I'm not making any judgment about a subject that is not covered elsewhere. But the Moderators (an I'm not one) have made their position clear, including what is quoted above.

• Upvote 1

On the Loop the trains were running fine during the day. Later in the night the Pink Line started getting inconsistent, but the other lines were holding up. The Orange and Brown Lines were the solid performers of the day, even when the crowds started building up. Green Line was OK, just had to wait a little bit for one to show up to take me back to Harlem.

17 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

On the Loop the trains were running fine during the day. Later in the night the Pink Line started getting inconsistent, but the other lines were holding up. The Orange and Brown Lines were the solid performers of the day, even when the crowds started building up. Green Line was OK, just had to wait a little bit for one to show up to take me back to Harlem.

Aw ok how about the bus side 

19 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

At night Pink Line trains already run at  15 minute intervals.  The gaps can increase or decrease depending in the other trains in the Loop. I've seen one Pink Line train get delayed at every Tower (Lake and Wells twice) by other trains and the following Pink Line train sails through the Loop with no problem.  Or the reverse happens wurg a Pink Line train sails through and the following gets stuck at every junction, even the one at the Paulina connector. ( in both directions.  This also occurs with Green Line trains.  Seems like Brown and Orange gets priority but they tend to have higher frequency.     Mist Lollapalooza attendees seem to come from the north side and northwest side or use the Oglivie and Union Station Metra trains.