Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

When did the 381 overtake the 349? 381 still can’t get down to 15 mins headways, unlike the 352 and 349, and the 349 runs more service on Sundays than the 381. Very surprising if ridership increased w/o a corresponding chance in schedule.

Edit: there’s also no real coordination between the 386 & 63W. It’d be one thing in the 386 would actually replace a run on the 63W, but it’s just too infrequent to really matter with half-hourly wkdy headways and hourly weekend ones.

Look at Saturday, the 63W leaves every :12 & :42. The 386? Every :43. West 63rd isn’t particularly wide, and you have the defacto express bus leaving 1 minute behind the local, from the same bus bay?

63W is 12-15 mins on wkdys, 30 mins on wknds. That’s 4-5 buses per hour, 6-7 total with the 386 on wkdys, and 3 total on wkds. They should really sit down and actually coordinate so that there’s a bus going down West 63rd every 10 mins on wkdys and every 20 mins on weekends. The 165 runs shouldn’t even been a real issue, since it’s peak-oriented so that a regular # of buses is going towards Midway

I will have to research again to find the latest rankings, but it's interesting that 349 has jumped so high.  This is a corridor CTA abandoned  

U think part of 381s success can be attributed to the reroute to the Bridgeview Courthouse  along with Moraine Valley. 

63W and 386 could be coordinated off peak.  Weekdays each route could run 30 minute headways 15 minutes apart.  Alternating between 63W and 386, buses could depart every 15 minutes.   On weekends, alternating buses leave every  30 minutes, creating one hour headways for each route. I would keep the 386 limited stops pattern for rush periods only..  Those 63W riders west of Harlem have the option of the 62H.  Which brings up a question.   Does the 62H interline with the 63W at 63rd and Archer?

17 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I will have to research again to find the latest rankings, but it's interesting that 349 has jumped so high.  This is a corridor CTA abandoned  

U think part of 381s success can be attributed to the reroute to the Bridgeview Courthouse  along with Moraine Valley. 

63W and 386 could be coordinated off peak.  Weekdays each route could run 30 minute headways 15 minutes apart.  Alternating between 63W and 386, buses could depart every 15 minutes.   On weekends, alternating buses leave every  30 minutes, creating one hour headways for each route. I would keep the 386 limited stops pattern for rush periods only..  Those 63W riders west of Harlem have the option of the 62H.  Which brings up a question.   Does the 62H interline with the 63W at 63rd and Archer?

THE ONLY THING RELEVANT TO THIS TOPIC is 63W, and it was coordinated with 386 12 years ago. Again see S/SW/H  changes topic.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

THE ONLY THING RELEVANT TO THIS TOPIC is 63W, and it was coordinated with 386 12 years ago. Again see S/SW/H  changes topic.

If we're talking about the 63W, specifically how it coordinates with the 386, how are we expected to only mention the 63W? Should we say [redacted] when mentioning the 386 so that it remains CTA specific? You want us to make a specific topic for only this minor conversation? Should I reply in Random Pace and use "[redacted]" when I need to mention the CTA routes that are part of this discussion?

Moreover, whatever happened 12 years ago is clearly not in place now, which is what we're discussing (along with the 95 & 381). 95 & 63W (along with 62H & 165, which were also mentioned) are CTA routes, and thus qualify under "Random CTA"

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That scheduling would be ideal. More so for 63W riders that need to transfer, since the 307 runs every 30 mins as well and ends nearby, I wonder if some sort of timed transfer could be set-up.

I also wonder if the 63W is also interlined on Sunday or if they just send out 1-2 buses to run service? I remember that the 4 of the west midway routes are interlined with the 59, but I also have the same question as you WRT are they interlined with each other (I'm curious about the 55A & 55N as well)

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I also wonder if the 63W is also interlined on Sunday or if they just send out 1-2 buses to run service? I remember that the 4 of the west midway routes are interlined with the 59, but I also have the same question as you WRT are they interlined with each other (I'm curious about the 55A & 55N as well)

Someone here mentioned that the 63W is interlined with the 63 Midway runs on Sunday. One time I was at Midway and I saw a 62H become a 55N, so it seems like the west midway routes are sometimes interlined with each other.

28 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

Someone here mentioned that the 63W is interlined with the 63 Midway runs on Sunday. One time I was at Midway and I saw a 62H become a 55N, so it seems like the west midway routes are sometimes interlined with each other.

I wonder if the 59 is a weekday only interline then. Or only to get drivers back to 74th Garage. 62H & 55N are both Mon-Sat routes (but so is the 59)

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If we're talking about the 63W, specifically how it coordinates with the 386, how are we expected to only mention the 63W? Should we say [redacted] when mentioning the 386 so that it remains CTA specific? You want us to make a specific topic for only this minor conversation? Should I reply in Random Pace and use "[redacted]" when I need to mention the CTA routes that are part of this discussion?

Moreover, whatever happened 12 years ago is clearly not in place now, which is what we're discussing (along with the 95 & 381). 95 & 63W (along with 62H & 165, which were also mentioned) are CTA routes, and thus qualify under "Random CTA"

The topic I mentioned is still there, so use it.

12 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

When did the 381 overtake the 349? 381 still can’t get down to 15 mins headways, unlike the 352 and 349, and the 349 runs more service on Sundays than the 381. Very surprising if ridership increased w/o a corresponding chance in schedule.

Edit: there’s also no real coordination between the 386 & 63W. It’d be one thing in the 386 would actually replace a run on the 63W, but it’s just too infrequent to really matter with half-hourly wkdy headways and hourly weekend ones.

Look at Saturday, the 63W leaves every :12 & :42. The 386? Every :43. West 63rd isn’t particularly wide, and you have the defacto express bus leaving 1 minute behind the local, from the same bus bay?

63W is 12-15 mins on wkdys, 30 mins on wknds. That’s 4-5 buses per hour, 6-7 total with the 386 on wkdys, and 3 total on wkds. They should really sit down and actually coordinate so that there’s a bus going down West 63rd every 10 mins on wkdys and every 20 mins on weekends. The 165 runs shouldn’t even been a real issue, since it’s peak-oriented so that a regular # of buses is going towards Midway

At one point, there actually was some form of coordination where 386 was something like every third bus during lower frequency times and every other bus from 63W in the higher frequency times. CTA even used to list 386 trips on the 63W schedule. But that actually changed when first CTA and then Pace began tweaking their schedules. I think I even remember @Busjack being highly critical of CTA wrecking the coordination. I know the recombination of the 95E and 95W into the 95 kind of surprised him (and others on the forum) because he quite logically pointed to the prior coordination between the 95W and the 381 and 95W's lower frequency than the 95E's as reasons that it was doubtful CTA would do it when others on the forum called for it. Then of course CTA surprised everyone by actually announcing they were recombining the routes.

27 minutes ago, jajuan said:

At one point, there actually was some form of coordination where 386 was something like every third bus during lower frequency times and every other bus from 63W in the higher frequency times. CTA even used to list 386 trips on the 63W schedule. But that actually changed when first CTA and then Pace began tweaking their schedules. I think I even remember @Busjack being highly critical of CTA wrecking the coordination. I know the recombination of the 95E and 95W into the 95 kind of surprised him (and others on the forum) because he quite logically pointed to the prior coordination between the 95W and the 381 and 95W's lower frequency than the 95E's as reasons that it was doubtful CTA would do it when others on the forum called for it. Then of course CTA surprised everyone by actually announcing they were recombining the routes.

I remember the 386 trips in the 63W schedule, but I wouldn't know what year to look for on wayback machine. 

I think the coordination fell apart either right before or during the pandemic. Pace SW running all their routes except for the 381 on a saturday schedule during the pandemic didn't help either, but I'm not sure how long after the 386 stopped being listed in the 63W's schedule that was

@MetroShadow posted one in this topic and there is a post from @Kevinabout is your thread in the right place. Not everything is RANDOM.

The "random" threads are clearly meant to be a general catch-all. I'm sure if new topics went up for every itinerant thought, filled with 2-5 answers each, that would somehow be an issue as well. Especially since I'm sure someone would ask something that's been asked & answered before, but was unable to find b/c the search function on this forum isn't great.

Furthermore, the 63W/386 thing was not the only active thing being discussed and it made no sense to break that conversation up to go to that hyper-specific thread, about only those routes, when the 56A/270 and 95(W)/381 had also been brought up and were being actively discussed. 

Also, wouldn't that be "replying to an old and inactive topic"? I'd hate to run afoul of forum guidelines trying to adhere to your personal preferences ?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The "random" threads are clearly meant to be a general catch-all. I'm sure if new topics went up for every itinerant thought, filled with 2-5 answers each, that would somehow be an issue as well. Especially since I'm sure someone would ask something that's been asked & answered before, but was unable to find b/c the search function on this forum isn't great.

Furthermore, the 63W/386 thing was not the only active thing being discussed and it made no sense to break that conversation up to go to that hyper-specific thread, about only those routes, when the 56A/270 and 95(W)/381 had also been brought up and were being actively discussed. 

Also, wouldn't that be "replying to an old and inactive topic"? I'd hate to run afoul of forum guidelines trying to adhere to your personal preferences ?

The "new topic" argument is a red herring. There was a topic; you just didn't bother to search for it, as @MetroShadow suggested. Also, since the discussion was about buses, @Kevin said to put it under BUS.

You're just trying to justify sloppiness.

The "new topic" argument is a red herring. There was a topic; you just didn't bother to search for it, as @MetroShadow suggested. Also, since the discussion was about buses, @Kevin said to put it under BUS.

You're just trying to justify sloppiness.

Why would I bother to search for a topic I didn't remember existed until you made a mention of it, to make a one-off reply away from where the conversation was currently taking place, to appease you, the only person who cares? The conversation fit both topics. Even if I had decided to reply there, you'd have complained I mentioned the 63W on a Pace topic, so what does it matter?

"Justifying sloppiness" as if my posts are homework to be graded ???.  Ignore it if it offends you that badly, or let someone else complain first, cause I'm not taking anything you say seriously.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

There's a search box at the upper right corner of each page Use it.

image.png.94dd2fbe4c1a270afb1b208133c036a8.png

“Didn’t remember existed until you made a mention of it” I wouldn’t even have known what to search for. Even now, if I put in “coordination” the topic you mentioned doesn’t come up (although ironically, every other topic about it does), so then what? I still wouldn’t have known to go look for it as I already stated I didn’t remember it existed until you said something, by which time your point was moot.

I hope this fruitless endeavor in pedantry is fulfilling for you though

image.thumb.jpeg.e87b442a1977fd8c47e402e70176f0cd.jpeg

• Haha 1

With what’s been happening on the red line lately how much safer are the 3 and 29? A woman who was attacked on the red line said she can’t go to school downtown because she’s scared of the red line now. I thought take an adjacent bus, my mother used to do that when she lived out south and went to college downtown, the 3 from 95th to downtown was her commute.

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

With what’s been happening on the red line lately how much safer are the 3 and 29? A woman who was attacked on the red line said she can’t go to school downtown because she’s scared of the red line now. I thought take an adjacent bus, my mother used to do that when she lived out south and went to college downtown, the 3 from 95th to downtown was her commute.

Every person has a different life.  Time is a crucial element.   The 3 is easily an hour from downtown to 95th.   Plus I don't know what route that young lady was transferring to.   It could be a CTA route west of the Red Line or a Pace route  

When my mom stayed out that way her p.m. commute of choice was the 14 to 103rd and a short ride on the 106 home 

Well CTA proofreaders strike again. I came across this under current weekday short term bus reroutes:

65 Grand Temporary Reroute 

9am, Wed, Aug 24 to 3:30pm, Wed, Aug 31 or completion

How does this affect my trip?
Buses will operate in both directions via Stony Island, 79th, Anthony, and Stony Island.

Allow extra travel time.

Why is service being changed?
Buses are rerouted due to construction.

I'm sure everyone can spot what's wrong with this reroute. ?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Javi75 said:

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Every person has a different life.  Time is a crucial element.   The 3 is easily an hour from downtown to 95th.   Plus I don't know what route that young lady was transferring to.   It could be a CTA route west of the Red Line or a Pace route  

When my mom stayed out that way her p.m. commute of choice was the 14 to 103rd and a short ride on the 106 home 

Yep, my mother hates taking the bus, but even now, she’s starting to be like me and taking the 75+J14 downtown. Its honestly time neutral, even with that slight traffic pause of LSD NB near Roosevelt. 

In our experience, going downtown isn’t an issue. Waiting for the red line at 79th is usually ok, waiting for the J14 is usually ok. It’s waiting for the 75 or 79 at 79th (anything could happen) or waiting for 75 at Jeffery (often has long waits) that make it an issue.

Ideally, she’d like to take the MED, but it’s only useful going downtown. I take it, but I don’t mind paying again to switch to the 147 if I’m going to the north side. I understand everyone doesn’t have that luxury.

@Javi75 to your question specifically, I don’t take the 29 as much as I did when I was younger, but AFAIK, it’s ok. The 3 is generally fine, the worst that happens is you’ll encounter some folks who don’t know how to be socially polite. And, since school is also back in session, teenagers as well I suppose 

17 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Well CTA proofreaders strike again. I came across this under current weekday short term bus reroutes:

Buses will operate in both directions via Stony Island, 79th, Anthony, and Stony Island.

Allow extra travel time.

“Route 65, Grand, to 103rd/Stony Island” ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Allow extra travel time.

Just recently I noticed Grand was closed between Ogden and Ashland.   The detour signs  had EB Grand traffic go NB on Ashland to Division.  I was puzzled the Grand traffic would be detoured to Division and not Chicago Avenue    i guess CTA'S operating clear of that detour!?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Javi75 said:

46 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yep, my mother hates taking the bus, but even now, she’s starting to be like me and taking the 75+J14 downtown. Its honestly time neutral, even with that slight traffic pause of LSD NB near Roosevelt. 

In our experience, going downtown isn’t an issue. Waiting for the red line at 79th is usually ok, waiting for the J14 is usually ok. It’s waiting for the 75 or 79 at 79th (anything could happen) or waiting for 75 at Jeffery (often has long waits) that make it an issue.

Ideally, she’d like to take the MED, but it’s only useful going downtown. I take it, but I don’t mind paying again to switch to the 147 if I’m going to the north side. I understand everyone doesn’t have that luxury.

@Javi75 to your question specifically, I don’t take the 29 as much as I did when I was younger, but AFAIK, it’s ok. The 3 is generally fine, the worst that happens is you’ll encounter some folks who don’t know how to be socially polite. And, since school is also back in session, teenagers as well I suppose 

I never really ride the except within the boundaries of downtown, but if I did need to ride south and I was riding a bus that wasn't the 6 or J14, the ones I always tended to choose were the 4 and the 29. I've never really had a problem on either, even when riding on the 29 when State still had all the high rises. Everyone always tended to their own business and never really bothered anyone else. I never opted for the Red Line south of 35th unless it was to transfer at 69th or go straight to 95th. It wasn't because of the people on the train itself, but because transferring at any of the spots outside of those I mentioned always felt sketchy.

11 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I never really ride the except within the boundaries of downtown, but if I did need to ride south and I was riding a bus that wasn't the 6 or J14, the ones I always tended to choose were the 4 and the 29. I've never really had a problem on either, even when riding on the 29 when State still had all the high rises. Everyone always tended to their own business and never really bothered anyone else. I never opted for the Red Line south of 35th unless it was to transfer at 69th or go straight to 95th. It wasn't because of the people on the train itself, but because transferring at any of the spots outside of those I mentioned always felt sketchy.

Same boat. The worst I've seen on the buses is what I've mentioned before; only on the 79 have I really witnessed stuff where the whole bus needed to get off or the police needed to be called (although there have been about 3 times in the last 3 years I missed a J14 and then apparently narrowly avoided some issue at 71st/Jeffery lol)

IMO, this all showcases the need for both more frequent service, and more reliable service. The worst part about any of these journeys is typically waiting for your bus/train, transfer or beginning of the trip, usually due to some combination of safety & time concerns. I'd mind waiting at 79th Red less if I knew a 75 would reliably be coming in under 8 or mins or begrudgingly, even a 79. The 2022 uptick in ghost buses doesn't help.